Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Research, CAFs, EXFs, FFs... The correct answer is that you need to pull all of them now, simultaneously. That's the only way to avoid getting yelled at.

Reactions: Vex
Today was the first day for my team to pull and push merchandise. Oh what fun it was to see what wouldn't get finished. Had to complete daily routines before CAFs drop.

s1fPqX1.gif

They barely scheduled a hardlines and softlines team, so it was up to 3 (2 rotating) of the dayside team to push. No help from the SR-TL and other ETLS. Wish overnight team well with the zoned backstock and other various merchandise to clean up.

Please help!! My store was totally jacked when I showed up a few months ago and after lots of hard work and good routines we are almost coming clean in the back, trucks done on time, everything! BRLA has been red since forever but now it's yellow because I got the team more hours and we're doing empty location audits and updating aisles... And we do the quantity audit before autofills in the morning which cut our errors from a consistent 550 to about 370... However!!! My BRTL consistently has like 6/7/9 errors and it's always one or 2 tm's with high errors as well (not usually the same ones)..they don't have answers for their errors but atleast they feel bad about it.. I've made everyone retake the br quiz over and over.. They told me today they just didn't log off their PDA's or some other Bologna... I told them to take their time and just focus better

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a new ETL but I seriously go to these threads first for ideas and I think you br guys are halarious. 99% of you are good workers with some real good knowledge, it's unfortunate that corporate doesn't spend more resources looking into and adjusting its processes with this type of feedback from its most important assets.

They're probably not scanning absolutely everything in locations. Have them scan everything TWICE before m-deleting. If it's a case location, they need to scan every box since stuff can look identical and have different DPCI's. Also, make sure your team isn't backstocking look-a-likes together. Don't put two kinds of pasta sauce in the same waco.. That sort of thing. Do your wacos tend to be over crowded? I think best practice is 3 DPCIs per space so make sure your team is adding to existing locations instead of just tossing it in any available waco. Are there any fill groups that consistently trend red accuracy?

The biggest thing is to take your time and make sure you're scanning everything. When I was backroom, I was the TM with the highest batches pulled but I was always under 2 logged errors. If worse comes to worse, have them log their M-deletes so you can review the locations later.

Please help!! My store was totally jacked when I showed up a few months ago and after lots of hard work and good routines we are almost coming clean in the back, trucks done on time, everything! BRLA has been red since forever but now it's yellow because I got the team more hours and we're doing empty location audits and updating aisles... And we do the quantity audit before autofills in the morning which cut our errors from a consistent 550 to about 370... However!!! My BRTL consistently has like 6/7/9 errors and it's always one or 2 tm's with high errors as well (not usually the same ones)..they don't have answers for their errors but atleast they feel bad about it.. I've made everyone retake the br quiz over and over.. They told me today they just didn't log off their PDA's or some other Bologna... I told them to take their time and just focus better

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a new ETL but I seriously go to these threads first for ideas and I think you br guys are halarious. 99% of you are good workers with some real good knowledge, it's unfortunate that corporate doesn't spend more resources looking into and adjusting its processes with this type of feedback from its most important assets.

Pull up your backroom location report by departments. Which departments have the most errors. Not which ones are red but which have the most. Softlines? Grocery? Then go look at those aisles. Are they stuffed? Is it the freezer and no one wants to go in there so they run in and m-delete just to get out? Does your produce have 40 errors because someone m-deleted an entire pallet of strawberrys? Do you have lots of paper errors in the steel, people are saying they pulled from the pallets then leaving the product there because they are too lazy to bring it down? Departments that are red but with only 10 pulls for the entire week don't need to be focused on its the departments with 50+ errors.

A lot of it is just being careful when backstocking. Make sure you follow the 12 steps and that you don't have partial casepacks in locations and things like that. There's some areas like snack or HBO that have tons of similar items that are usually backstocked under 1 DPCI.

A lot of it is just being careful when backstocking. Make sure you follow the 12 steps and that you don't have partial casepacks in locations and things like that. There's some areas like snack or HBO that have tons of similar items that are usually backstocked under 1 DPCI.

..uhh 12 steps?

Thanks everyone, I will call a meeting and get everyone on board. I've added a lot of hours to the br and it's finally getting clean, we'll just take it slow and thorough for now on..

Here's the image I have, not sure if anyone has a proper scan of it or even the whole thing but that's basically how everyone should go about zoning a department per day in the backroom to keep it clean.

Here's the image I have, not sure if anyone has a proper scan of it or even the whole thing but that's basically how everyone should go about zoning a department per day in the backroom to keep it clean.

BQA gets done at my store. BrTL makes sure of that.

BrSDA? Yep.

Labels in place and scannable? lmao no

Dcore pulled? Old NOP mysupported? LOL LIKE BACKROOM AT MYSTORE IS GONNA DO THAT

12 Steps is a great idea, but incredibly unrealistic at every store I've spoken with that was ultra low volume. Just another instance of some straight out of college process engineer with no real world experience that thinks they're going to fix everything. More payroll and more bodies is the only way things are going to get fixed -- get that figured out and 12 steps might not be useless.

BQA gets done at my store. BrTL makes sure of that.

BrSDA? Yep.

Labels in place and scannable? lmao no

Dcore pulled? Old NOP mysupported? LOL LIKE BACKROOM AT MYSTORE IS GONNA DO THAT

My store hasn't pulled d-code or NOP in over a year, because we spend the entire day cleaning up a broken push all process. Labels not being up though? That's a huge issue. How has no one fixed that? BQA generates a batch for all labels you couldn't scan and it takes 5 minutes to print and hang those.

When I pull d-code or NOP, I push it to the floor QMOS it out because 9 times out of 10 it's out-dated :p

So 2 months ago when I arrived (I came from a private grocery retailer), we had bs in the fire aisle and all the way down the backroom on both sides including Recieving and the steel was completely full.. Plus clearance/price change and who knows wtf.. (We're low volume)..

As of tomorrow morning we have 35 open bays in the steel, no transition and absolutely nothing on the floor!!! Yyyyeaaaaaaaaa boiiiiii!!!! I could cry

A large part of this is because of the help from you guys and your posts.

Thank you!

Now we just have to get BRLA green

So 2 months ago when I arrived (I came from a private grocery retailer), we had bs in the fire aisle and all the way down the backroom on both sides including Recieving and the steel was completely full.. Plus clearance/price change and who knows wtf.. (We're low volume)..

As of tomorrow morning we have 35 open bays in the steel, no transition and absolutely nothing on the floor!!! Yyyyeaaaaaaaaa boiiiiii!!!! I could cry

A large part of this is because of the help from you guys and your posts.

Thank you!

Now we just have to get BRLA green

What volume store are you at? Great job getting clean it is possible and feels great leaving for the day not feeling defeated by backstock. Some advice going into 4th quarter have a plan for overflow toys and make sure that every single day you are coming clean on toys. Volume A and above you can expect 12-15 pallets of just toys on a truck be ready for 20 boxes of oversized darth vader dolls and easy bake ovens for example. Don't let stuff like that make it to your aisles, bulk and put into the steel right away.

12 steps has always been best practice, it's nothing new. It's merely being accountable for what's in your backroom and how clean and zoned it is, nothing more.

12 steps has always been best practice, it's nothing new. It's merely being accountable for what's in your backroom and how clean and zoned it is, nothing more.

Never heard of 12 steps. That list basically looks like a TL brand walk from back in the day. A lot of that stuff was on their but I've never heard it called 12 steps.

12 Steps is a great idea, but incredibly unrealistic at every store I've spoken with that was ultra low volume. Just another instance of some straight out of college process engineer with no real world experience that thinks they're going to fix everything. More payroll and more bodies is the only way things are going to get fixed -- get that figured out and 12 steps might not be useless.

My store hasn't pulled d-code or NOP in over a year, because we spend the entire day cleaning up a broken push all process. Labels not being up though? That's a huge issue. How has no one fixed that? BQA generates a batch for all labels you couldn't scan and it takes 5 minutes to print and hang those.
\

when we would get asked what can we do different to come clean at the end of the night and we would say hire more people, etls just say other then that -_-

\

when we would get asked what can we do different to come clean at the end of the night and we would say hire more people, etls just say other then that -_-
We have a new STL who is pumping hours into Logistics and allowing us to hire new team members, but no one wants to work backroom. It's ridiculous. I've never had more than 250 hours for backroom -- and that was during peak 4th quarter. Our new STL wants to give us closer to 400 hours every week of 4th quarter, but I can't schedule more than 200 with the bare bones team I have. We've increased base pay $2/hr in the past 6 months and still can't get anyone hired, but then not even our own team members realize we've increased base pay. Correction: veteran team members know the base pay went up, because they're pissed that they make the same after 5 years as a new hire tomorrow.

\

Tell those ETLs to hop in and start backstocking.

I had to change to dedicated stocking and work flow with the team and train a lot.. This took us from getting done at 2pm to getting done at 1030am. I love call ins now so I just save the hours and document, hours were saved for 3 br blitz over a month (6 brtm's and myself come in for 5.5 hrs to bs/challenge).

It can be done but it's on leadership, not the br to be faster and cause more errors

Apparently our PDAS went down and the auto fill didn't drop. The 11 am CAFs are gonna be huge.

Last edited:
Oh yeah so the 11's were 6 hours. It was like a mini autofill. The CAFs eventually recovered to be 28 min by 2 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back