Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some longer aisles have up to for pogs. Each tm can set an aisle or more, depending on how difficult the pogs. Five pog tm, one pptl, plus me can be 30 by ourselves. Two sales planner tm plus a tl, four to six endcaps each. Eight to ten with strategic re-ties. That's sixty and we've not left hardlines. Add in two sltm, plus the sltl and vml and etl-ge and you've added four to ou six pogs each there. We're at around 80. Add in tune in Tuesday plus checklane pogs.... plus any that are not pulled from the previous days... on a Monday we can easily bury the backroom. And moving forward from there is challenging.

Wow. So when are the pogs tied? We tie as we set and then pull our batches. I might set two pogs and then pull but that's rare. To get the numbers you're saying it sounds like they are all being tied before being set. I'm not critual of that, I know we all do it differently and I really like learning how other stores operate.

Wow. So when are the pogs tied? We tie as we set and then pull our batches. I might set two pogs and then pull but that's rare. To get the numbers you're saying it sounds like they are all being tied before being set. I'm not critual of that, I know we all do it differently and I really like learning how other stores operate.
The numbskulls at my store tie a bunch before setting. Twice this week the backroom was caught up so they went to push the stuff they pulled only to find out one aisle hadn't been touched and the other was a for clearance.

The numbskulls at my store tie a bunch before setting. Twice this week the backroom was caught up so they went to push the stuff they pulled only to find out one aisle hadn't been touched and the other was a for clearance.

Ouch! Yea, I think this is the reason we tie as we set.

Yep we get stuff all the time that is on the line, that you take it out thinking its a pull and find that none of the locations actually exist yet. Roll it back and wait for hours for it to get set. then they leave for the day..

We are told we have to have everything tied in the morning. Then if anything happens during the day (i.e. someone leaves) we don't get it set. But the direction is, tie it in first thing.

Last edited:
Pog team is usually given 8hrs worth of work, they tie when they come in. Most often they might not quite finish the last bit, but usually it's just no time to push.

Sales planner... who the heck knows.

Usually the team tie, set shelves, and move on. If they get signing, push, or adjust obvious issues we're doing good.

Pog team is usually given 8hrs worth of work, they tie when they come in. Most often they might not quite finish the last bit, but usually it's just no time to push.

Sales planner... who the heck knows.

Usually the team tie, set shelves, and move on. If they get signing, push, or adjust obvious issues we're doing good.

Thanks for sharing that. It's interesting to find out how differently we all do the same things! :)

Anyone else getting stuffed with open stock cereal? Ad rotation cereal EC setters are only putting up half of what it calls for and we still have more open stock cereal in the back than on the floor.

Anyone else getting stuffed with open stock cereal? Ad rotation cereal EC setters are only putting up half of what it calls for and we still have more open stock cereal in the back than on the floor.

I try to purge our open stock cereal once every 6wks or so. I'd like to do it more often, but it's hard to find the time. Although I normally don't do a real purge- I just do my ghetto version of research- go scan all the cereal that's super low, write down the backroom location for each DPCI, pull, then push. I have VERY little, if any backstock from this process...so it's a clunky process, but it works well enough.

As a BRTM it's impossible to come across a mydevice in my store, and if I asked someone to make a batch for me it would never happen...so I do what I can.

Also, kind of a random question, but this got me thinking about it:

How full do you guys keep your market endcaps? I'm trying to figure out how to balance "filling" double locations, while also avoiding having 5 million boxes of cereal/cans of soup come back when they kill an endcap. Is there a way to see when an endcap ends? So like...We can push to capacity for the first 2/3's of an endcaps life, but then stop pushing there a week before it's set to come down, in attempt to minimize the amount of product that will come back when it's taken down?

I'm a total stickler for getting as much product on the floor as possible, but obviously I don't want to just be making my workload heavier in the end by pushing too much to temporary locations.

I try to purge our open stock cereal once every 6wks or so. I'd like to do it more often, but it's hard to find the time. Although I normally don't do a real purge- I just do my ghetto version of research- go scan all the cereal that's super low, write down the backroom location for each DPCI, pull, then push. I have VERY little, if any backstock from this process...so it's a clunky process, but it works well enough.

As a BRTM it's impossible to come across a mydevice in my store, and if I asked someone to make a batch for me it would never happen...so I do what I can.

Also, kind of a random question, but this got me thinking about it:

How full do you guys keep your market endcaps? I'm trying to figure out how to balance "filling" double locations, while also avoiding having 5 million boxes of cereal/cans of soup come back when they kill an endcap. Is there a way to see when an endcap ends? So like...We can push to capacity for the first 2/3's of an endcaps life, but then stop pushing there a week before it's set to come down, in attempt to minimize the amount of product that will come back when it's taken down?

I'm a total stickler for getting as much product on the floor as possible, but obviously I don't want to just be making my workload heavier in the end by pushing too much to temporary locations.
Kraft mac&cheese just went up. Our EC setters know to only push 4-5 deep each row and then adjust the capacity. The EC calls for around 150 and they change it to 50ish. Since we already use dedicated grocery pushers for grocery on Flow, they know not to overfill these ECs. It took 3-4 months follow up to get everyone on board with this process, but it helps with the eaches that inevitably come off when it dies. We do the same thing with cereal because that rotates weekly, but I guess since our store is pathetic with grocery sales, that we still have so much stuffing up the back.

I appreciate the input, @SrTLall - in the grand scheme of things this is definitely one of our smaller issues, but it's so disheartening when an EC resets and I get back 2 tubs FULL of product that I have to find room for in an already cramped backroom market aisle, so I'll probably talk to my leadership and see if we can do something similar in my store. My store's flow team will find any excuse to avoid pushing items, so they'll be thrilled to have a valid excuse :rolleyes:

But yea- changing capacity definitely seems to be the big thing...we've tried to limit how much we push to endcaps sometimes, but obviously it all just comes back out again if the capacity isn't changed.

Yep, it's been getting out of hand for a while now. We have 6 sections and open stock goes on every shelf except for the very top and the very bottom. Every shelf is being used and the 2nd and 3rd levels have mixed DPCIs in front of/behind each other on the shelves.

On the Online Planogram, it will tell you when the next set of saleplanners will happen. A week before that, we stopped filling it and just spread it out to make it look full until the day we change the endcap. Or you can scan the planogram on the base at the right corner next to the aisle number. I think it will show you when it will end. Usually, the cereal and bread endcaps changes every week or two. The rest changes every month. Some with just be carry-forward or revised.

Has anyone heard of a test of the end of one truck, and implementation of multiple straight to the floor truck and virtual elimination of the backroom?

Not us. Our flow team is actually pretty good at pushing properly so our SFQs aren't all jacked up. Also, our instocks process is pretty strong too, getting in around 1200 outs scans/week.

Is everyone using manual fill rather than auto fills now?
Nope, we're still using autofills and scheduled CAFs. Starting to plan for the grocery model rollout in May, but nothing new beyond that.

Is anyone elses backrooms being left a mess because of the new process for dealing with reshop? Since it started in my store I've come in everyday to at least one shopping cart filled with crap just sitting in the backroom. We are not supposed to have shopping carts in the backroom, but now we have them all the time.

Yep we're doing manuals and it's brutal.
The first week was tough but holy Toledo!! The amount that came out for market was crazy! I was super hesitant but I'm loving it now!!! Great way to empty wacos in prep for inventory and market roll out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back