I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

We have someone who has FMLA and abuses the hell out of it, and I know this because she has told me personally that she has used the person she has it for as an excuse. It gets old after a while when you know they are abusing it, lately its as if she can't even make a week without a call out. What is the policy for FMLA, do you need to show any proof at all that your absence is related?

Anyone who is late consistently because of another job or school, simply needs to change their availability. Moving back a starting availability by 30 minutes can make sure the store is staffed and the tm can be on time everyday. Target, Walmart, gas stations are all REAL jobs. You are getting paid to do the work. If you do not like the work or cannot handle the expectations of the job then you should not be there. If you are ill, you stay home. If you are ill you call in, and you do it as soon as you realize you cannot make it. It is all part of being a responsible adult. People who cannot handle the responsibility of a job and make all kinds of excuses make me sick. If you don't want to be there grow a pair and quit.

What do you do that you make $50/hour?

IT Consulting. 50 an hour is on the bottom of the scale tbh. In my area your average pc repairmen are charging 50-75 an hour. It seems like a lot compared to working under someone, but honestly it isn't. I've been told I need to charge more, but I'm happy with what I make if my lower charge saves people money.

My biggest pieces of advice if you want to make a decent hourly wage in a ************ty economy:

1. Networking. Meet people. Talk to people. Share information. Create a linked in, and USE it.
2. Knowledge. You should aspire to know everything about everything that you do on a daily basis, including your job, your bosses job, and general operations. If people see you as being knowledgeable it makes it easier to move forward later on along with the networking.
3. Self sufficiency. You don't have to work for someone else, you can generally work for yourself and make a lot more money, but only if you have the first 2 items.
4. Education. Get a 4 year degree. It's easy, and it increases your value as a human being. You can argue all you want about why saying that is wrong, but hiring managers don't give two ************s that you need food or a place to stay. You are an investment. If you don't pay off, they drop you. Hiring/firing you is practically as simple on paper as trading stock. It's nothing personal.

A 4 year degree most certainly does not increase your value as a human being. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard, and I have heard many. It may increase your value as a worker, or increase the chances of getting hired or even increase the opportunity to make more money. But to think that a persons value as a human is in direct relation to their structured education is laughable.

$50/hour might be realistic for contracted work, but for a 9-5 job very unrealistic even for IT lol. Maybe at high end :D

That being said, for having a CCNA, I am probably being underpaid at $15/hr :( Beats Target though.

A 4 year degree most certainly does not increase your value as a human being. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard, and I have heard many. It may increase your value as a worker, or increase the chances of getting hired or even increase the opportunity to make more money. But to think that a persons value as a human is in direct relation to their structured education is laughable.

Sorry I think my meaning was lost. I agree with you. Technically the value of a human being can only be computed by calculating the value of the elements we are composed of based on their presence in the human body. I meant the value of a human being in terms of the investment a company is making into you as an employee. There's a lot more to your pay package than your hourly wage or salary. There's benefits, vacation, perks, expense accounts, insurance, 401k, and any stock options/dividends/profit sharing that you are eligible for. All of that is what you are paid. Having a 4 year degree and a high GPA (3.0+ necessary to work for most reputable companies, 3.5+ necessary to work for some of the best) increases your value to employers.

$50/hour might be realistic for contracted work, but for a 9-5 job very unrealistic even for IT lol. Maybe at high end :D

That being said, for having a CCNA, I am probably being underpaid at $15/hr :( Beats Target though.

Very much focused on the high end. Median wage for my degree is 98,000 in the area I live in but the cost of living is under the national average. The position I took is to get my foot into the door and explore something a bit different from what I studied. I'm kind of broadening my IT experience like any IT professional should.

That being said, $15 an hour is kind of low depending on the job specifics... But experience is experience. A job is a job. You get back what you put in so always do your best and don't be afraid to accept another higher paying position if that one turns into a dead end. Build your network at that job definitely though.

I knew one TM that called off a lot and eventually got canned. Thank god she always called off and always on Sunday mornings gee I wonder why?? LOL Every Sunday she called off saying she was " sick" ya hungover sick lol

Sorry I think my meaning was lost. I agree with you. Technically the value of a human being can only be computed by calculating the value of the elements we are composed of based on their presence in the human body. I meant the value of a human being in terms of the investment a company is making into you as an employee. There's a lot more to your pay package than your hourly wage or salary. There's benefits, vacation, perks, expense accounts, insurance, 401k, and any stock options/dividends/profit sharing that you are eligible for. All of that is what you are paid. Having a 4 year degree and a high GPA (3.0+ necessary to work for most reputable companies, 3.5+ necessary to work for some of the best) increases your value to employers.

Very much focused on the high end. Median wage for my degree is 98,000 in the area I live in but the cost of living is under the national average. The position I took is to get my foot into the door and explore something a bit different from what I studied. I'm kind of broadening my IT experience like any IT professional should.

That being said, $15 an hour is kind of low depending on the job specifics... But experience is experience. A job is a job. You get back what you put in so always do your best and don't be afraid to accept another higher paying position if that one turns into a dead end. Build your network at that job definitely though.

What degree do you have? Just curious.

I had a colleague once who used to say, "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys".... 'nuff said

:laugh3: lol.

Today was had no truck... but four call outs. There were 5 people at early morning huddle with a brand new ETL who never works 4am leading us because our flow lead quit. It stunk. Huddle made me laugh though, sweet clueless perfect hair ETL was just so confused. I'm sooo tired of the same people calling out ALL the time! I felt bad we left the backroom a mess (mostly because we were already playing catch up from the day before) and the team was grumpy. I decided that I don't want to waste time that I could have spent having fun worried about someone else's bad mood, or bad call out decision. All I can do is hold myself to a certain standard, worry about my OWN attendence and try to have a good time making MY stockroom look it's best.

I mean it's just a job, why be all stress crazy over it. show up, throw things on the shelf, talk to eachother, play around, take pride in your work and leave happy at the end of the shift!!!!

Ooopsy...I was suppose to work 5 am to 10 am today. Something went wrong because my cellphone alarm didn't go off and I didn't wake up until 8:45. I called in to explain and see if they still needed me but they said they were in good shape and just be in monday. Kinda worried because I read on here they put a limit of 6 on no call no shows...and if they count this as ncns I might be at six. I know they have discression on how they classify things like this but what do you guys think?

I would say that just that single NCNS out of context sounds like it could be overlooked... Everyone oversleeps eventually and those 5AMs (if it happens on that shift) will for sure be passed the two hour mark... HOWEVER, if you have 5 other NCNSs on your record, well I don't see any excuses for that many!

Ooopsy...I was suppose to work 5 am to 10 am today. Something went wrong because my cellphone alarm didn't go off and I didn't wake up until 8:45. I called in to explain and see if they still needed me but they said they were in good shape and just be in monday. Kinda worried because I read on here they put a limit of 6 on no call no shows...and if they count this as ncns I might be at six. I know they have discression on how they classify things like this but what do you guys think?

Seriously, how long did it take you to get that many ncns? If its within 6 months, I would fire you.

Seriously, how long did it take you to get that many ncns? If its within 6 months, I would fire you.

Been there over 4 years. Theres been alot of times I overslept and didn't call in til like 9 am. One time I was in jail lol, and a couple other times I overslept and just didn't bother calling in.

I used to pride myself with an untarnished record of no being "lates" and no "NCNS". 3 years ago I had a NCNS because I seriously thought i had a day off, 1 year ago, the same thing. ANd just 2 weeks ago, I was late for the first time and shortly after I was late again. (switching to 4 am and medications to blame) Oh well, I had to catch up with the rest of the store sooner or later. LOL

At my store a NCNS gets you corrective action for 6 months. Any more NCNS within that time, final for 1yr. Anything before that 1yr is up, you're f*cked.

Yeah, they can't just arbitrarily put a number on NCNS. Target has very specific policies in place. Here's how it works for NCNS:

A NCNS falls under unacceptable conduct. It has a progression of Counseling, Final Warning, Termination.
First offense: you get a counseling. You have a 1 month critical period + a 6 month extended period. If you have another NCNS within that period, you move on to...
Final Warning. This comes with a 1 month critical period + a 12 month extended period. If you have another NCNS within that period, termination.

The thing is, let's say you have that first offense. After 7 months (the critical and extended periods put together), it goes away. Your next offense is just another counseling. Note that the time period begins from the date the counseling/final warning was administered, not from the date of the NCNS.

Here's another fun fact. Attendance problems (lateness, call outs) are part of performance. NCNS is "unacceptable conduct". That means if you go through all the steps of performance discussions based on attendance and eventually end up on a final warning for attendance and then you have to miss a day of work, you are better off simply not showing up for work. The NCNS is a completely separate category and has nothing to do with your performance final warning. (This happened to me twice when I was a TL. Had two team members on finals for attendance. They NCNS and it was just a counseling because Target considers them separate categories)

It all depends on how anal your leaders are at your store. I would be proactive about it though and talk to my ETL-HR to find out for sure, rather than waiting around for a corrective action.

Last edited:
you won't lose your job for getting arrested and being in jail. even if you're gone months.
until your trial. if you're found guilty, then you lose your job.

Yeh, I think he did.....'less it was for imbezzling funds from a daycare or sumthin'.

Back