I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

I'm in college and i was invited to a private dinner for winning a essay contest at my university. I want to attend since i want to be well known by professors. So..
Is this a good reason to call my target and tell them i cant go to work because of this? I started a week ago and i hate doing this now but my education is very important to me.

Best advice I can give you - DO IT!

In my years with Target I have seen more TMs than I can count screw over their college for Target.

One guy in particular at our store was on track to graduate from college with honors. Eventually he dropped out of college so that he could have open availability, which the ETLs promised him would lead to a TL spot. (really he was just a damn hard worker and they wanted to be able to use him whenever they pleased) So that was about four years ago. What is he doing now? Regular sales floor TM. I did his last review, and he hasn't even broken $9/hour yet. Hell, he could have been an ETL by now.

I would suggest you don't lie. Tell them what the deal is. The ETL you are calling is a college grad.... that means they had to sacrifice work (if they even worked at all) to get through college. You can also bet your ass if your place was reversed they would be calling in.

Being well under your 90 days, this would not be good, especially if you want to stay on past Christmas. I would talk to your TL or ETL and see if there is a way to leave early or swap shifts with someone on your team. Utilize the swap shift sheet in HR. If the event is this week, it may be to late to utilize this tool, but bring it up as soon as possible.
While (at least at my store) education is important, Target is in the business of making money and this is the worst time of year to call in for work. Normally, we require at least two weeks notice for time off requests, but things do come up. I tell my team to notifiy us as soon as possible when issues with the schedule come up so we can try to make them work. Business needs come first, but we try to make things work.
Congrats on your success in your educational endeavors.

Depends on the day your event is. If its Black Friday, you are out of luck. Everyone has to work. If not, your best option is to switch shifts. If you are seasonal or permanent&under 90 days, Target can terminate you just for one missing one shift.

Long-time lurker here... I have been at Target for a little over 6 months. I was offered another job recently, but they are unable to give me full time hours until after the holidays (go figure, they want to provide me with proper training without the seasonal chaos). So I am stuck at Target for another month... It's funny; HR gave me my benefits info the day after I received the job offer. I looked through the paperwork as well as mypayandbenefits.com trying to find information on paid vacation, and, nothing. Do vacation benefits kick in after 6 months, or 1000 hours? My last check puts me at just under 900 hours, and my average is 34 hours/week. No sick/vacation hours listed on the check stub. If another month will put me over 1000 hours, I'll plan my last day accordingly (if vacation gets paid out).
I would ask HR, but I don't want to tip my hand too soon (they have a habit of drastically reducing hours once they know you are leaving).
Any advice would be appreciated.

Long-time lurker here... I have been at Target for a little over 6 months. I was offered another job recently, but they are unable to give me full time hours until after the holidays (go figure, they want to provide me with proper training without the seasonal chaos). So I am stuck at Target for another month... It's funny; HR gave me my benefits info the day after I received the job offer. I looked through the paperwork as well as mypayandbenefits.com trying to find information on paid vacation, and, nothing. Do vacation benefits kick in after 6 months, or 1000 hours? My last check puts me at just under 900 hours, and my average is 34 hours/week. No sick/vacation hours listed on the check stub. If another month will put me over 1000 hours, I'll plan my last day accordingly (if vacation gets paid out).
I would ask HR, but I don't want to tip my hand too soon (they have a habit of drastically reducing hours once they know you are leaving).
Any advice would be appreciated.

vacation accrued that shows up on your paycheck is paid out when you quit, if it's not on your paycheck, you didn't earn it yet, and we cannot pay it out.

Frankly, as a new hire, there is no good reason to call in. Talk to your ETL-HR and explain the situation, as it's an educational opportunity and Target does take school pretty seriously.

Agreed, I have three of my team members that are pursuing Law School right now. If something comes up, where they need a day off. I try my hardest to accommodate, It's part of Target's culture to be open minded to peoples lives outside target. If you were my TM and if I had to i would rearrange my schedule to work for you.

I was scheduled to work on Sunday from 2-6PM and I didn't know. My dad took my car to work on Sunday and Monday and I had left my schedules in there. He sold his because we need money and we're now sharing 1 car. He gave me back the car today, I went to get something out of it, found my schedule, and realized I was supposed to work on Sunday. I had my first NCNS about 4-5 months ago. I called my STL immediately and explained that I lost my schedule while moving due to my home being foreclosed. He said it was a valid excuse and explained that I would have a red S for a number of months that I can't remember and in that time, I cannot get any more NCNS's or I would get a second S. But what about this time? Some employees here say their Target allows for a different number of NCNS's—some 3, some 6. What is the actual number? What will happen from here? Do you think my STL will have mercy on me for being neglectful for a second time?

Last edited:
Technically, from what I've been told and have seen in my store, first NCNS is an automatic counciling. If you NCNS within 6 months of that counciling, then it's a Final Warning. A NCNS during that time, which lasts a year, and it is termination

Don't get anymore NCNS from the date the coaching was issued for the 2nd one. for one year like Pricing said. You're f*cked if you do.

Technically, from what I've been told and have seen in my store, first NCNS is an automatic counciling. If you NCNS within 6 months of that counciling, then it's a Final Warning. A NCNS during that time, which lasts a year, and it is termination

Same at our store.

Sorry this is going to sound harsh, but I would have you on a final. This is a business. They expect you to show up for all of your scheduled shifts and you expect them to pay you.If on payday they said "oops I forgot it was payday, no checks today" it would suck. At some point when you couldn't find your schedule you should have called the store, let them know that you were unsure of your next scheduled shift and could they give you that information this one time. It is true that we are not to give schedules out over the phone but in this case I think they would rather you be there than not. Knowing your schedule is your responsibility, it's part of having a job

^totally nailed it on the head. Many times ETLs/STLs are indifferent to any excuse because they don't matter. The bottom line is you NCNS 2 days in a row, and one of them (Sunday), the busiest day of the week. If you miss one more day going forward, it's called "Job Abandonment" and you terminate yourself. All they're going to see this as is you not valuing your job enough to take ten seconds out of your day to write down your shift, and that you make excuses. You have to demonstrate accountability for your inaction and hope the least you'll get is a final.

Your correct! This s standard protocol....

I agree with all the above EXCEPT calling in for your schedule. My ETL-GE is very much on top of this... Basically, first NCNS is just a verbal warning. 2nd is a written, any more then that leads to CCA and even termination. If you have a illegitimate reason as to why you had the NCNS in the first place, then perhaps you might get away with the first one. Moving foward, just try and keep a copy of your schedule in your wallet or something. Also, you can have your HRTM, GSTL/GSA print out your schedule from MAX, just in case you write down the wrong time, because this does tend to happen...from what I have seen with my cashiers.

I agree with all the above EXCEPT calling in for your schedule. My ETL-GE is very much on top of this... Basically, first NCNS is just a verbal warning. 2nd is a written, any more then that leads to CCA and even termination. If you have a illegitimate reason as to why you had the NCNS in the first place, then perhaps you might get away with the first one. Moving foward, just try and keep a copy of your schedule in your wallet or something. Also, you can have your HRTM, GSTL/GSA print out your schedule from MAX, just in case you write down the wrong time, because this does tend to happen...from what I have seen with my cashiers.

Your ETL-GE is lenient if she gives verbals warnings for NCNS. NCNS are conduct related, not performance and go right to a Corrective Actions. I've handed down three CA for NCNS in the past month. I don't tolerate attendance issues.

The CCA training module states exactly what STLinMaking said: NCNS isn't performance, and thus goes to corrective action for the first step. Although I've seen my store be very lenient on this in the past.

yea my ETL-GE is very lenient. Again, I am only a GSA and cannot conduct coachings but I have had a few NCNS's on my shifts and those TM's are still there. I am fully aware that they have been spoken to plenty of times, not too sure why they haven't been terminated yet. That might seem harsh but it is a business and it should not be tolerated and I'm am almost certain that my ETL-GE/ GSTL is aware of this. I have spoken to those particular TM's and have explained to them that the schedule is posted 3 weeks in advance and if they have questions about their current or future scheduling, they need to get with me or our GSTL to ensure that this does not happen. If they aren't sure if they work a certain day, they are not aloud to call in to find out their schedule time, they would have to come to the store to get their schedule. My ETL-GE does not allow us to call to find out what time we work, for "security" reasons. I agree with this to an extent. Depending on who's working sometimes they get away with it I'm sure. :)

Your ETL-GE is lenient if she gives verbals warnings for NCNS. NCNS are conduct related, not performance and go right to a Corrective Actions. I've handed down three CA for NCNS in the past month. I don't tolerate attendance issues.
ye

In my short time has a Tl I had to put 2 people on final notice and 3 on corrective action for attendance. The two are pursuing other interests outside of target as they say...and sadly I might have to move forward on one of the corrective actions. All the tm's had a history of calling off or leavin early only one had a no call no show issue she did it 3-4 times in 2011 and called to quit before she was termed
It's not fun to have those conversations as a leader it's awkward and uncomfortable. To be quite honest when people no call no show it has the worst effect on the team they don't know they have to cover your zone or project ect until 15-20 min after you shift started and it's too late to call someone in at that point.

I have one for you guys.. I have been with the company for some time now.. Perfect attendance, top performer all the time and was team hero of the month twice in a row.. I ended up becoming very ill "cant say what illness cause they might now whom I am" this illness with treatment continues to make me ill.. So I called out 5 times not in a row but 1 day here 3 days there and another day there. I head to work with doctors notes for all those days and a back to work form and I was put on a final.. My CA before that was for performance issues which started to happen when I got sick and started to lag a bit and didnt meet my TL's expectations.. When I asked why the final considering how I have always been a top performer and considering I have notes and my sickness. They said its corporate policy they can't consider the notes after the excessive call outs..

HARD - I just started a new thread about my issue just incase no one noticed it within here.. Just to let you know I did contact my ETL HR and was told sorry nothing she can do.. I'll PM you

HARD - I just started a new thread about my issue just incase no one noticed it within here.. Just to let you know I did contact my ETL HR and was told sorry nothing she can do.. I'll PM you
wrong answer by your hr. next time, search forums first. i am answering your pm's currently. glad to help.

Back