I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

I have worked at Target since October 2009 so almost two and a half years. I am currently a GSA and rarely call in, am rarely late and have never had a NCNS. About a month ago, I had an accidental NCNS and I have just been informed that I am receiving corrective action for said NCNS. I am currently in the process of wanting to transfer/training for TL and a corrective action obviously prevents me from doing either of those for another 6 months. Well obviously I can train for TL but I won't be able to interview till the corrective action is dismissed. I heard that the rule of thumb was that two NCNS's warranted a corrective action and one warranted a coaching if anything so I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. Also, the NCNS was almost a month ago now so I think it's quite unfair that they're doing it a month late so instead of 5 months, I still have 6. I'd appreciate it if someone could respond and tell me if this corrective action is warranted. Thanks!

Yes, your corrective action is warranted. I've placed quite a few team members on CCA for NCNS. No Call, No Shows are a big deal and fall under unacceptable conduct, it probably took a while before they gave it to you because HR has to approve it.

Something doesn't sound right there. I can double check but I'm pretty sure you have to deliver it within x amount of days of the NCNS. Unless you already have coachings for attendance/lateness then there is no way they can justify one NCNS as a CA.

it's really not that much bigger of a deal than calling in sick. You're absent in both cases, it's just you didn't call in...big whoop. Sounds like an isolated incident and that they probably had a focus on corrective action at your store, and whoever put you on had like a quota or something.

Corrective Action is warranted, just like you can be terminated for 3 NCNS in a row (5 in a row in a few states) since it would be seen as job abandonment. The reason why it may have taken a while to be administered is due to the fact that the CA needs to be reviewed and approved before being administered.

only time i technically NCNS'd was back when I did carts.... overslept my alarm, was supposed to be there at 8, woke up after 1030 am, called in right away explaining, then got to work by 11am. It was technically a NCNS since it was over 2 hours, but I showed up ;D

I just talked to the LOD after i clocked in explaining, and I never got in trouble or anything. Did get an attendance ding on my annual review though :(

only time i technically NCNS'd was back when I did carts.... overslept my alarm, was supposed to be there at 8, woke up after 1030 am, called in right away explaining, then got to work by 11am. It was technically a NCNS since it was over 2 hours, but I showed up ;D

I just talked to the LOD after i clocked in explaining, and I never got in trouble or anything. Did get an attendance ding on my annual review though :(

Oh well, you would have gotten the raise you got regardless...even if you didn't have that attendance issue (which I don't believe is a ncns, it wouldn't be at any other company as long as you call in sometime during the day you missed) you would have still been ding donged for something stupid like under guest service because you didn't ask CIHYFS to every single guest.

Yes. Enjoy your six months. **** up and do another NCNS between the time of the coaching and the ending period, you're on the hook for a year. Do it again? You aint gonna work at target no more.

it's really not that much bigger of a deal than calling in sick. You're absent in both cases, it's just you didn't call in...big whoop. Sounds like an isolated incident and that they probably had a focus on corrective action at your store, and whoever put you on had like a quota or something.

You are so WRONG!!!!!!! First of all calling out being late falls under performance! Which means you cant do the job so it hinders your performance. NCNS is a conduct issue.

You should receive the CA. Now since NCNS is conduct and not performance you will still be eligible to transfer or promote. Here is 1 piece of advice for you since you did imply you wanted to promote. Stop playing the victim and accept responsibility of your actions.

Unfortunately without Unions, Corporations get to do pretty much whatever they want and rarely have set guidelines on these things. I agree with you that one event should only be a verbal. Tell me, was this a complete NCNS or did you call in, but after the "2 hour" rule? Supposedly if you call in after 2 hours after your shift should have started it becomes a NCNS anyway. Or did you completely not even know that you missed work until now, a month later? Certain "corrective actions" only have a 1 month life, though many have 6 months, some have 1 year

Were/are you a GSA when the NCNS ocurred? If so, suck it up.
GSA is a step (albeit, tiny one) up the ladder to leadership & you would be held to a higher standard than a mere TM at my store.

You should receive the CA. Now since NCNS is conduct and not performance you will still be eligible to transfer or promote. Here is 1 piece of advice for you since you did imply you wanted to promote. Stop playing the victim and accept responsibility of your actions.

It will prevent the person from transfer or promotion....a CA is a CA and both performance and conduct issues prevent advancement.

For those of you who think this deserves Correct Action, one, you are management, so your opinion doesn't count because you are the lucky one giving out the punishmengt, and two, then you or Target better PUT IT IN WRITING so that there is NO confusion about the policy because if ANYONE EVER does a NCNS and does NOT get a CA, then there's a discrimination problem where you are playing favorites

It will prevent the person from transfer or promotion....a CA is a CA and both performance and conduct issues prevent advancement.

You are wrong.

For those of you who think this deserves Correct Action, one, you are management, so your opinion doesn't count because you are the lucky one giving out the punishmengt, and two, then you or Target better PUT IT IN WRITING so that there is NO confusion about the policy because if ANYONE EVER does a NCNS and does NOT get a CA, then there's a discrimination problem where you are playing favorites

It is in writing. How is giving out punishment lucky? How about you show up for your shift, stop being lazy and talking constantly and just do the god damn job you were hired for. Some days reading the crap team members spew on here is frustrating.

Not everyone here has said straight out that this deserves Corrective Action. You do not need to discount the opinion of the leaders on this board. Everyone has just stated that a Corrective Action is warranted per company policy, which is what the OP asked. I'm sure that everyone that answered the question and tried to clear up the situation is sorry for offending you with their "opinions". I, for one, do not feel it warrants a CA, but its still policy. Therefore, I would give it out.

For everyone that complained about the stores no longer calling people when they didn't show up for their shifts, this is exactly why. Target considers NCNSs a big deal. It would not be fair to call in some people who didn't show up for their shift and not others. On the other hand, Target shouldn't call in someone who is late and calls off/NCNS all the time. But who has the right to make that call? No one. Therefore, to be fair, the same thing has to happen every time. No one gets called in, everyone gets a NCNS for not coming in to their shift. Sorry you are going through this CrazyforTarget. I had one once too. It may count on your record, but your reputation is more important when it comes to the promotion (after the extended probation period,of course). Stick it out for these 6 mos and I hope you get your job afterwards. A little extra training couldn't hurt, and chances are nothing good would come up in the next 6 mos anyway. Good luck.

Stupid rules, i am not wrong about a CA due to conduct preventing advancement. It is written right on the Corrective Action that you can not apply for promotion until it is over.
Miguel, it is in writing and don't say that management is on the lucky side of writing these CAs out, because they are not, nor are they fun to deliver or receive. Tell me also why we should make exceptions to the rules for certain people and not others? If someone is complaining about this, then wait until February roles around and AE2012 really roles into effect because expectations have been raised and extreme follow-up will be something you will be hearing about often.
People need to grow up and take responsibility for their actions, or lack thereof.

You are so WRONG!!!!!!! First of all calling out being late falls under performance! Which means you cant do the job so it hinders your performance. NCNS is a conduct issue.

yeah that's true it maybe is considered a bigger deal by target and it is classified completely different. I'm talking from a philosophical standpoint, if you absolutely have to miss a day, then your gone from the shift no matter what. Say for example a flow team member calls in 5 minutes before his shift starts. They aren't going to be able to replace him and they are going to be short handed. The EXACT same deal would occur if he doesn't call in. The only difference it would make is that the leadership would be uninformed about what's going on until they hear from him. So in that sense, they are pretty much exactly the same, they have the same impact on the day.

People in this thread are being outrageous. It even says in Target's handbook that they understand there will be times when you cannot make it to work. It happens, it's to be expected. There will even be times when the team member cannot call in, sometimes through no fault of their own.

Yeah it's not good, and it's never the right thing to do, but it happens, some people in this thread need to chill. Especially if they are team leaders. Sometimes you're gonna have more important things going on than your 9 dollar an hour job yo!

That's ****ing bull****, you cant promote on a CA. I've tried.

Wow..... Got some hot tempers in here. NCNS are considered a conduct issue and result in a CA. Failure to follow calling in 2 hours prior or two hours after the beginning of your shift will be classified as a NCNS. Thats stated right in the target handbook. Any type of Corrective action will prevent any promotions or transfers. Our store turns down transfers all the time due to CA's. The only concern I have is that you say you NCNS a month ago and now just being placed on a CA? thats not fair if thats the truth. As a Leader we have the responsibility to treating you fairly, which means holding you accountable in a timely manner. It doesn't take that long to put someone on a CA. I have had CA's written, reviewed, approved and delivered all in one day.

I like that I think everything should be done in a timely manner. One of my last TL's had this problem where they had an incident, and the Stl sat down with him and instead of coaching him on what just happened, they said here is a list of incidents over the last six months that we are holding you accountable for now! Kind of bull that they did that.

the biggest problem with corporate america is they get to play god with their employees by creating any rules they want any way they want, so if they like you, they can choose to look the other way or if they don't like you, they can pick on employees and scrutinze their every action until they conveniently invent and create a reason to terminate the employee. Target gets to choose whether you can or can't promote or transfer or demote, etc just for any perforance or conduct issue. Depending on the situation, the "critical" period seems like it can be a month, 6 months or a year, why 3 options? It's SO subjective, but the long and the short of it is that you can NO promote, demote, or transfer during the "critical" period, which means for ONE day of accidentally calling in 2 hours late for oversleeping, you may not be able to promote, demote, transfer, etc for up to 1 YEAR!

the biggest problem with corporate america is they get to play god with their employees by creating any rules they want any way they want, so if they like you, they can choose to look the other way or if they don't like you, they can pick on employees and scrutinze their every action until they conveniently invent and create a reason to terminate the employee. Target gets to choose whether you can or can't promote or transfer or demote, etc just for any perforance or conduct issue. Depending on the situation, the "critical" period seems like it can be a month, 6 months or a year, why 3 options? It's SO subjective, but the long and the short of it is that you can NO promote, demote, or transfer during the "critical" period, which means for ONE day of accidentally calling in 2 hours late for oversleeping, you may not be able to promote, demote, transfer, etc for up to 1 YEAR!

You mean they pay you money and expect you to do the things they want you to do?!?!? Insanity!

Back