I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Don't trust the online schedule? That's bull. They need to make the changes and corrections in the system, and then it will be fine on the online part. That's nothing but incompetence and laziness of those who deal with making the schedule and schedule edits at your store.

Does anyone know if for attendance you have to be coached before getting CA?? I mean having issues with my ETLs about a separate thing and now I'm hearing I'll be put on CA out of the blue? I'm just wondering if I have a leg to stand on here because I feel like they're doing this because of the other issue I am bringing up about one of the ETLs being shady. I have been late I admit and I did call out due to a death in the family. If it's a genuine deserved CA I will take it I just don't want to be pushed around for speaking up about something.

How soon should you call if you're going to be /possibly/ late but aren't quite sure if you'd just be cutting it super close.

My dad...just took my car and my only ride is finishing up getting her hair done but it'll still take about...30-40 minutes and I start in a little under an hour

I'll call if there's even the slightest chance I'll be more than 5 minutes late.

If I am late, at least the LOD knows where I am.

If I'm on time, the LOD will appreciate that I took the time to call just in case and that I hustled to get there on time anyways.

I always call just in case. Especially now that I'm driving an hour and a half from school sometimes to work a shift. They really do look down on call outs they could care less half the time if you're sick. It's an inconvenience for them period. I myself hate calling out. I had a seizure during a huddle and still showed up for my shift the next day. They sent me home, but it showed I was serious about my job. If push comes to shove go into work, tell them you're vomiting, they'll freak out think you're contagious as fuck and send you home anyways.

For several weeks, I was dealing with unanticipated traffic. I was arriving 6 or 7 minutes after the hour. I received coaching. While I understand that I was technically late, it wasn't that significant and there isn't a shift that goes by where I don't end up staying anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes late because I'm trying to complete something before leaving. In fact, we've been told not to stop in the middle of something and that if we stay a little later, it won't be questioned; it will be approved. So Target is getting more from me than my original scheduled time every day I work. I was peeved by the fact that I had to be coached for being a few minutes late. Given that you can clock in for up to 5 minutes past the scheduled beginning of your shift without repercussions, was it really necessary to say something because I was 1 or 2 minutes past that window?

For several weeks, I was dealing with unanticipated traffic. I was arriving 6 or 7 minutes after the hour. I received coaching. While I understand that I was technically late, it wasn't that significant and there isn't a shift that goes by where I don't end up staying anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes late because I'm trying to complete something before leaving. In fact, we've been told not to stop in the middle of something and that if we stay a little later, it won't be questioned; it will be approved. So Target is getting more from me than my original scheduled time every day I work. I was peeved by the fact that I had to be coached for being a few minutes late. Given that you can clock in for up to 5 minutes past the scheduled beginning of your shift without repercussions, was it really necessary to say something because I was 1 or 2 minutes past that window?
Yes. If you show up 6 or 7 minutes late to work for every shift for several weeks then counseling is the least that should be done. Also, at my store if you consistently work longer than your scheduled shift then you risk getting a talking to for negatively affecting payroll.

Okay so I had written down that I was supposed to work yesterday from 7-11:30pm but I also recalled seeing I had two Fridays off in a row. So I checked the website and my name wasn't there for the day. I called and no one saw my name on the grid, so I didn't show up because I figured that I actually did see I had two Fridays off and since I basically confirmed I wasn't on the grid for the day...sure. So today I get to work and look at the schedule book....and it says in there that I was scheduled for 7-11:30 yesterday. I don't recall asking them to drop me or telling me of any changes...so am I okay here? Am I gonna be considered nc/ns?

How do you guys handle calling out for reasons other than sickness? Yesterday, I had a peculiar car issue late at night, and I had to get it towed and dropped of at the dealership. So I have no idea what is wrong with my car, until they look at it and assess it, and tell me what's going on, which means I'll be waiting on a phone call all day, and waiting on whether or not they'll give me a rental. So I basically have no way to even get to work. I'm a sitting duck.

My question is, I have a 3pm-11pm shift today, and I don't know if I should call out, or just plan to go in, and worst case scenario, call and say I'll be late. What do I tell an LOD in this situation if I call out? I have a hard time with this kind of thing, so i guess I'm looking for ideas of what to say/ if I should even call out.

If I DO call out...can I use sick time for my hours? I'd rather not lose out on those hours....but I don't know what's going to be going on today, and if I'll even have a car in time for work.

I just woke up [3:30pm] to a call from my coworker telling me where I am/why I' not at work and I'm like ????? it's my day off and he and the GSA are on the phone like no man you're on the grid for 2:45 and I freak out like what the fuck I was off today I didn't agree to take any shifts and ask them to check the schedule upstairs and lo and behold it says I'm off and they're like oh you're right you're good okay sorry!

Does that...happen a lot? Like holy hell I started freaking out so bad I thought I wrote my day off on the wrong day or something OTL

I just woke up [3:30pm] to a call from my coworker telling me where I am/why I' not at work and I'm like ????? it's my day off and he and the GSA are on the phone like no man you're on the grid for 2:45 and I freak out like what the fuck I was off today I didn't agree to take any shifts and ask them to check the schedule upstairs and lo and behold it says I'm off and they're like oh you're right you're good okay sorry!

Does that...happen a lot? Like holy hell I started freaking out so bad I thought I wrote my day off on the wrong day or something OTL

Lol, yeah sometimes. Though it's weird you were on their grid, yet off on the schedule. Usually it's the other way around! Weird!

I had my first attendance issue today since starting at Target in March 2014. For the last week I've had a bad cough and a runny nose. Yesterday a headache was added. Today the headaches got so bad while walking around that I had almost fell over. I ended up leaving work 2 hours and 30 minutes early.

How many call outs can you have .
It depends on the store. At mine, you will get written up for any. I think 1 is a coaching, 2nd is CA, 3rd is FW, 4th is term. You get 6 months between each occurrence. If you are scheduled 2 days in a row and call out for both days, that counts as 2, so you immediately go to CA, which I think is bs. The only thing that will "excuse" you is if you show up on day 1, go home early & come back with a doctor's note saying you can't work until X date. If you call in Day 1, bring in a doctor's note saying you can't work until X date, you still get written up for Day 1.

Last edited:
hah..I remember I was pretty sick during the Fall season couple years ago and when I called the store, the STL picked up. You know what he told me after I said I couldnt come in? He said " Take some cold medicine and come to work" . I actually did go to work too and got him and everyone sick.

I got really sick within my first week on the schedule, but luckily, I'd called at 8AM for a shift after 5PM and let them know that I'd be out for two days with an excuse from a physician. It still counted against me, obviously, but it didn't come escalate past the initial call. What WAS scary was that the LOD didn't document the call so it was assumed as a NCNS by my TLs who called to talk to me about it the next day, and after a little bit of aggression towards me, I calmly asked them to check with the person who was LOD at the time of the call. After that, it wasn't much of an issue, and they seemed to appreciate my patience.

I guess the moral of that story is that even if you do have to do the unthinkable and call in, it won't ever hurt to go about it the proper way. Call as soon as you can, be honest and let them know the situation, and cover your bases in terms of documentation. Had I not done all of those, I'm pretty sure I'd have been axed. Who knows.

So... I started about a month ago as cart attendant. I was doing alright but a few days ago I was outside pushing carts and I started to feel tired and then almost blacked out. I went inside and was slurring my words while telling the LOD I need to leave. I have fallen ill with some kind of flu. I had to call in the day after cuz I felt too sick. Then I have two days off, but I'm back on tomorrow and I'm not feeling any better, so I'll have to call in again. Seeing as this is within my first 90 days, will I get fired? This is just poor timing, but there's a point of sickness where you can't just power through it..

image.cfm

What do I do if I have an 8 am shift (which is when my store opens and won't get through to anyone until then) but I'm too sick to go in? Do I just call at 8 and let them know I won't make it in even though it's not a two hour notice?

UPDATE: I was able to get through to HR and then an LoD an hour before my shift even though I had called two and a half hours before with no success. Which I knew was going to happen and I explained that. Still sounds like I'll get a talking to over it tomorrow, though. Oh well.

Last edited:
Back