I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

There's always someone at the store at least an hour before opening.
Just hit zero during the recorded announcement & again during the 'sorry, we're closed' announcement & it should go to the night bell which rings overhead.

If you need to call out for an 8AM shift and you know about it the night before, try to call out the night before your 8AM shift so that they have time to try and call someone in to cover for you.

Update:
If you need to call out for an 8AM shift and you know about it the night before, try to call out the night before your 8AM shift so that they have time to try and call someone in to cover for you.
That's the thing... I thought I would be able to make it in today even though I started feeling bad yesterday. However, overnight, it got worse. I called at 6 am and no one answered. I called at like 7:10 and she finally answered.

Or the LOD forgets to put it in the closing email, and doesn't bother to try and find someone, so it looks like instead that you NCNSed, and then when you come back in, you have to sort that mess out.

Or the LOD forgets to put it in the closing email, and doesn't bother to try and find someone, so it looks like instead that you NCNSed, and then when you come back in, you have to sort that mess out.

This happened to me, and I'm still under 90 days. Luckily, I remembered exactly who the LOD was and everything, but it was almost a major problem. I'm just hoping it's been fixed considering the amount of things that seem to have gone missing mysteriously.

Sorry if this was already answered, but if I'm gonna be like 5-10 minutes late, should I still call to let them know? I know there's the 5 minute grace period, and I wouldn't bother calling in if I could clock in before that ended, but say I start at 8 and come in at 8:09? In the past I just kept my mouth shut and no one seemed to notice...

Worst thing happened this morning. Unexpected car problem <5 min from work. Had to fix it myself. Called LOD and assured me it was okay. Got to work 30 minutes late and saw LOD in TSC and apologized profusely and he said not to worry about it at all. Spoke to my SrTL about it later and he told me that I shouldn't have rushed myself and tried to fix the problem and called AAA; car problems happen.

So nervous. I'm only 7 weeks in.

I heard you can't get coached if you call out but use your sick hours for the call out is that true? I'm one call out from a corrective but my daughter has been sick. I want to take her to the doctor but my next day off is Wednesday and I've been asking around but no one wants to take my shift (most excuses are it's too long and they don't wanna pick it up) and I'm a single mom so it's only me who can take her to the doctor.

I heard you can't get coached if you call out but use your sick hours for the call out is that true? I'm one call out from a corrective but my daughter has been sick. I want to take her to the doctor but my next day off is Wednesday and I've been asking around but no one wants to take my shift (most excuses are it's too long and they don't wanna pick it up) and I'm a single mom so it's only me who can take her to the doctor.

It all depends on your state laws not necessarily company. If you get sick time use it though.

Secondly, is your name in reference to SAO?

It all depends on your state laws not necessarily company. If you get sick time use it though.

Secondly, is your name in reference to SAO?
Nah. I actually don't like SAO. I started using this name a long time ago after watching Kare Kano.

Of all the days I don't set an alarm on my phone, power goes out. Alarm didn't ring and was 1.5 hrs late (called LOD). I was okayed to stay 1.5 hours more to make up the hours, they were glad. Just so bad. I feel like I'm going to be let go since I'm still under probation (over on 1/2/16).

What do you guys think?

ASANTS but it sounds like your leadership was cool by letting you stay later, which probably helped them with coverage.
Unless someone pulls you to talk about it (esp if it happens more than once), you're probably OK this time.

Of all the days I don't set an alarm on my phone, power goes out. Alarm didn't ring and was 1.5 hrs late (called LOD). I was okayed to stay 1.5 hours more to make up the hours, they were glad. Just so bad. I feel like I'm going to be let go since I'm still under probation (over on 1/2/16).

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A power outage probably made the news and you probably weren't the only who had that problem.

This may be a dumb question, but as a tm, do I have sick leave? I've acquired vacation hours I have yet to use, but what about sick leave?

Depends on what state you live in.
Most don't pay sick leave but some are state-mandated so you'd have to check with HR.
I live in the state of denial so no sick leave for us.

I might be a minority here but I honestly feel bad when I have to call off, I feel like I let my team down when I do because they have to either find someone to cover me or be short and have to do extra work. I rarely do but when I do I make sure there is a good reason. I always make sure I call off at least 2 hours before (done it twice in person the night before due to doctors apt and family member death, the LOD's face was interesting) and I never NCNS, I just feel really bad today because of finals week stress :( my spot have pity on my soul

Last edited:
I have a question about when you're called in to work on your day off

A friend of mine had an appointment yesterday on her day off and was called to come in and she said okay, but then 10 minutes later realised that the appointment would probably take way too long and she wouldn't make it. So she called right back to say sorry but it turns out she can't and the LOD told her that it was already in the schedule and she's now responsible for those hours. My friend did not show up for that shift. Will she get in trouble for that? Is it actually her responsibility if it was her day off anyways and she called back within 10 minutes (the shift was 4 hours away so it's not like it all happened last minute) to cancel?

I have a question about when you're called in to work on your day off

A friend of mine had an appointment yesterday on her day off and was called to come in and she said okay, but then 10 minutes later realised that the appointment would probably take way too long and she wouldn't make it. So she called right back to say sorry but it turns out she can't and the LOD told her that it was already in the schedule and she's now responsible for those hours. My friend did not show up for that shift. Will she get in trouble for that? Is it actually her responsibility if it was her day off anyways and she called back within 10 minutes (the shift was 4 hours away so it's not like it all happened last minute) to cancel?
If she said she could work..and it's already in the system...she's SOL. As long as she called back and told the LOD she can't make it...it's not a NCNS

I was sick recently and tried calling the store 7 times before my shift no one answered. The next day I show up to tell them I won't be able to work. Said I can take some time off but I'm getting a CA for the day before.

I was sick recently and tried calling the store 7 times before my shift no one answered. The next day I show up to tell them I won't be able to work. Said I can take some time off but I'm getting a CA for the day before.
If no one answers just the hotline so there is a record of the call and the time.

So I'm sick with the flu and sick with guilt. I've called out yesterday and then today I tried calling out twice. Once two hours before my shift at 7:15am and again fifteen minutes before. Both times I stayed on the line for five minutes waiting on the ringing. Idk if overnight ignored it or were too busy but no one picked up. I texted my etl directly what was happening and fell back into a fatigue coma. Its gut wrenching to feel like I'm letting my store and ap family down but health is everything and I can't function.
My secondary concern is if my etl has my back am I safe from being in really hot water for this?

So I'm about a week from being at my 90 days and today there was a huge snowstorm and my car got stuck in my driveway. I called in but it was only fifteen minutes before my shift. Do you think I'll be okay? This is my first time calling in and I've never been late

Back