I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

You need to call out with confidence. I see it in my store someone will call out with @SFSFun attitude. I'm not coming and the LOD will take it.

5 minutes earlier someone called out sounding uncertain about it and the LOD talked them into coming in.

Don't give off the impression they can talk or guilt you into coming and it won't be an issue. Once they do it once you're their b***.

Hey guys, so recently I found out that I’m scheduled a closing shift this Sunday (4PM-12AM & another closing Monday :rolleyes:) usually I do morning shifts Sundays, so I’m quite surprised of the change. The problem is I can’t make it for my shift Sunday bc I have tutoring sessions and I also have to wake up 6AM for school...unfortunately I still have a week left until my 90 days are over (I’m scheduled passed my 90 so I guess they kept me???) & I already called out once and came to work late twice. Will it be a problem if I call out again bc I couldn’t find anybody to take my shift?

Hey guys, so recently I found out that I’m scheduled a closing shift this Sunday (4PM-12AM & another closing Monday :rolleyes:) usually I do morning shifts Sundays, so I’m quite surprised of the change. The problem is I can’t make it for my shift Sunday bc I have tutoring sessions and I also have to wake up 6AM for school...unfortunately I still have a week left until my 90 days are over (I’m scheduled passed my 90 so I guess they kept me???) & I already called out once and came to work late twice. Will it be a problem if I call out again bc I couldn’t find anybody to take my shift?

A callout won't hurt you. Partner with a trust LOD or HR now to see if they can ask people for you who could cover the shift. They interact with way more team members than you do

Keep in mind: if you are in a locality (state/county/city) with mandated sick time the absence is listed as "nonaccountable" on your Spot attendance record and will not count against you ... as long as you follow the procedures. My area: notify the employer within two hours of your scheduled shift (or up to 10 days in advance). Indicate you will not be in due to illness (or other legally covered event). After you return ensure you get paid for the hours. In my area, once you indicate it is for legal sick time then it's a strict hands-off ... they'll never mention it again ..... at least they're not supposed to - Spot's recently been getting into trouble over this. I think @HRZone previously posted a listing of the different regions with sick time laws ... it can also be found within eHR.

If you are not in a sick time covered municipality just make sure to follow all the standard procedures but as mentioned previously, stick to your guns. If you're not well then you are not well and should not be in. Period. Be proactive, honest and keep the leadership team informed ... they'll be understanding.

Keep in mind: if you are in a locality (state/county/city) with mandated sick time the absence is listed as "nonaccountable" on your Spot attendance record and will not count against you ... as long as you follow the procedures. My area: notify the employer within two hours of your scheduled shift (or up to 10 days in advance). Indicate you will not be in due to illness (or other legally covered event). After you return ensure you get paid for the hours. In my area, once you indicate it is for legal sick time then it's a strict hands-off ... they'll never mention it again ..... at least they're not supposed to - Spot's recently been getting into trouble over this. I think @HRZone previously posted a listing of the different regions with sick time laws ... it can also be found within eHR.

If you are not in a sick time covered municipality just make sure to follow all the standard procedures but as mentioned previously, stick to your guns. If you're not well then you are not well and should not be in. Period. Be proactive, honest and keep the leadership team informed ... they'll be understanding.

True, I used to work in Seattle and we constantly let the ETLs know if the team member used sick pay for the day you cannot bring it up in an attendance conversation.

Gonna call out this saturday because the guy who said he'd take my shift never wrote it down and when I got back to him, he said he didn't feel like doing it anymore :/

I got hired back in September as non-seasonal, I've had to call out three times since then (all medical related, no questions asked). I recently called out on Wednesday because of a cold, had Thursday off, worked last night (Friday), and my fever is back and my cold is pretty bad again. Do y'all think I'd be safe if I called out tonight? They know I was sick last night and I told one of the ETL's I'm probably going to call out, he didn't protest. I closed Softlines literally alone last night because of three no call no show's and the ETL knew it was stressful and I was sick.

I got hired back in September as non-seasonal, I've had to call out three times since then (all medical related, no questions asked). I recently called out on Wednesday because of a cold, had Thursday off, worked last night (Friday), and my fever is back and my cold is pretty bad again. Do y'all think I'd be safe if I called out tonight? They know I was sick last night and I told one of the ETL's I'm probably going to call out, he didn't protest. I closed Softlines literally alone last night because of three no call no show's and the ETL knew it was stressful and I was sick.

Sounds like you're either at or out of your 90 if you started in September. Depending on your workcenter your store likely your scheduled for call outs.

If you have a fever, odds are it's more than a cold. Adults don't usually get noticeable fever with your garden-variety cold viruses, but it could be influenza or strep or something like that. If you had a fever, then it went away, and is back again then I hope you got it checked out as that could also be a secondary infection.

I wouldn't go to my office job with a fever, assuming something contagious, and I don't even really have much contact with people or stuff people will be handling, but I know retail is less-than-forgiving of illness, sadly.

I hope you're feeling better and your leadership is understanding!

not sure if this has been addressed but has anyone won the holiday meal compliance $100 gift card and target themed gift basket? if so what did u win

Sounds like an asants thing. In California if you don't hit compliance you get to keep your job

Definitely an ASANTS thing. My store orders food if we all manage to not hit compliance for seven days in a row. Still haven't gotten more than three or four days without someone hitting compliance.

not sure if this has been addressed but has anyone won the holiday meal compliance $100 gift card and target themed gift basket? if so what did u win

We didn't have any offers like that. However, we had drawings for attendance to win gift cards.

We had an attendance raffle thing at my store, and so many people were still in the running (no late, no compliance, no missed punches, no corrections) at the end that they ended up giving out multiple prizes.

A few questions....
- If a TM is hitting (or close to) compliance, when does that alert show up? Does it show up for everyone with a device or just that TM’s supervisors and/or TL’s?
- If calling in for running late, do you just tell the operator or ask to talk to LOD or ask for the TL in your area?
- If there are shifts that don’t get picked up in the shift swap in an area you aren’t trained, (and you don’t have the chance to talk to HR) would it be a problem to just sign up for the shift and see if they’ll approve it? Or need to go through formal training or what? (Talking about shifts that have been sitting on the swap board for days and obviously won’t be filled, but I’m willing to take them, just haven’t been trained in the area, but willing and wanting to learn)

A few questions....
- If a TM is hitting (or close to) compliance, when does that alert show up? Does it show up for everyone with a device or just that TM’s supervisors and/or TL’s?

You have to set up the alert in the mydevice for it to pop up, when you click on "myalerts", itll have options like flex full, LOD, and etc. Usually only the LOD or ETL/TLs will have it on, it'll ping them 15 mins before a TM hits compliance, and i believe again 5 mins before.

- If calling in for running late, do you just tell the operator or ask to talk to LOD or ask for the TL in your area?

LOD or TL for your department, whoever you can reach first. The LOD can relay the message if need be. NEVER just leave a message with an HRTM or whoever picks up first, ASANTS but they're pretty bad at relaying messages.

- If there are shifts that don’t get picked up in the shift swap in an area you aren’t trained, (and you don’t have the chance to talk to HR) would it be a problem to just sign up for the shift and see if they’ll approve it? Or need to go through formal training or what? (Talking about shifts that have been sitting on the swap board for days and obviously won’t be filled, but I’m willing to take them, just haven’t been trained in the area, but willing and wanting to learn)

Talk to the TL of that department first, depending on how much training you'd need, they might let you slide. If its just a hardlines schedule, or maybe flow, it could work, i've picked up shifts that i wasn't trained for before, but i've been there long enough to of picked up most of it. Like i don't do flow at all, but sometimes i pick up a shift for them here or there because its literally just stacking and sorting boxes, and pushing stuff on the floor. Straight forward. BUT, i wouldn't pick up a guest service shift, because it'd take me too long to train for it especially for one shift.

Thanks so much for the quick reply @DavidorJared !

So as someone trained in basically just front-end stuff (Cashier, GS, photo, covering GSA breaks), if signed up to cover a hardlines or flex shift...would that be something I could probably figure out and work?
Get what you’re saying about picking up GS shifts so don’t want to do the opposite and waste anyone’s time!

@Bethy , shouldn't be too bad for a hardlines shift, its pretty straightforward really, just zoning and pushing, pretty typical retail stuff. As for ship.... depends, if you're the only person on ship that day, and have never done it, then that'd be a no go, unless they were desperate. Theres just a bunch of little nuances im SFS that takes a while to pick up on.

Thanks! Think hardlines won’t be an issue then...

dumb question probably but...ship? = flex? = sfs?

Also sorry definitely wrong thread for this now so feel free to delete, just still a bit lost

Ship is flexible fulfillment or ship from store yes.

Lods when on a zebra have an alert that tells them 15 minutes and 5 minutes before you're due for a meal. That's why sometimes a good lod will creepily say "hey bethy have you clocked out for lunch yet?"

Have you been tapped to zone for HL or something before? We occasionally had people from the front end come back to zone seasonal because it was So Bad, so they were taught their way around a Zebra and how to find a shelf location and stuff, but otherwise HL really isn't that complicated.

I would check with your TL/ETLs, though: "Hey, so I see there's a HL shift posted and I'm available--I would be able to get up to speed to take that shift, right?"

Or something. At my store HL swap shifts are super rare, while cashier swap shifts are plentiful, so I might find it a bit irksome if a cashier jumps on a HL shift when there are always so many cashier shifts available.

But ASANTS and all that, and if your store has ample HL shifts or it's getting close to shift time and nobody has picked it up, I would gladly help get a cashier going on abandons or zone than be short a body.

Thanks @IWishIKnew ! That’s super helpful. For some reason we do have lots of HL and SFS and flex shifts listed and not many cashier/GS ones (maybe because I take all of those lol). I have been thinking about cross-training in HL anyway and know my way around pulls and reshopping and stuff on the mydevice; just didn’t want to pick up a shift and piss off coworkers because they had to help me out. Hopefully they’ll appreciate the extra body (who is eager to learn!) enough that they’ll forgive my lack of experience. Assuming I can get it checked off from HR .

Thanks so much for the advice!

Yooo has anyone worn a sick mask to work before? I'm recovering from the flu and my cough is getting worse. I didn't wear one tonight and spent half the night hacking into my shirt. Aside from being gross and germy it honestly wasted a lot of time since I had to constantly stop what I was doing to cough.

But idk if that's even allowed or if it's "brand." And I feel like it might be alarming to guests or something. I don't know. I just don't want to be responsible for making other people sick. I guess I can ask the LOD tomorrow but I figured I'd ask if anyone here has done/seen that.

Also I've already called out once and I was able to work last night so I probably shouldn't call out again. I don't have a fever anymore but I might still be contagious.

Last edited:
Back