I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Ah... I must of made a mistake... I know for sure I posted the request way back before my birthday I'm absolutely sure of it. But, the request seems to have never submitted or just disappeared. Probably my mistake, nevermind. I know I did it, my noggin must of been somewhere else when doing it. I remember because I specifically asked my mom when to take time off for the reunion and she told me as I was filling out some other time off for later this summer and I'm not even sure, it's got me on tilt a little.

MyTime self service will have a list of all previous requests you've made, so you can check and see if it's in there. It could have been denied and maybe you just never noticed.

So I'm still new and not entirely sure how schedules work. I'm 4am flow and still going off the first two week schedule they set me up with. If I want to request time off in advance, how do I know if you need to?

Or do I just put in the request anyway, even if I don't know whether I'd be working those days or not?
You put in the request before they start working on the new schedule, so generally 3 weeks in advance. You also need to make sure it's approved before they start writing that schedule.

So I'm still new and not entirely sure how schedules work. I'm 4am flow and still going off the first two week schedule they set me up with. If I want to request time off in advance, how do I know if you need to?

Or do I just put in the request anyway, even if I don't know whether I'd be working those days or not?

Also they sometimes don't let you take time off your first 30 days unless you state the need to in your interview.

In your interview they should have asked you about upcoming personal days or vacations

Wait so if you call in once during your first 90 days it's a write up? or only if you call within less than two hours of your shift?

Wait so if you call in once during your first 90 days it's a write up? or only if you call within less than two hours of your shift?

There is no set rule. It's asants depending on your store and how strict they are/whether they like you.

If you no call no show in your first 90 you are supposed to be fired.

If you call out ahead of time in your 90 some stores don't mind but some will use it as a reason to say you failed the probationary period.

At my store it's not a write up. If you call out three times, you will get pulled into the office and talked to. That is just an attendance coaching however we can use this as a reason to let you go within your 90 days if your performance isn't great as well.

Hey guys! I just got hit by a cold last night, was just a sore throat last night but I woke up today and now it's a runny nose, sore throat, coughing, etc. I'm still within my first 90 days so, should I call off or should I go in and try to tough it out? I know Target has policy for really bad illnesses but do we have a policy on lesser infectious stuff as far as don't go in and affect your co-workers and Guests?

Yeah I planned ahead to request time off to do class registration for my college classes, but when I tried it was too late. I thought you had to to request 2 weeks in advance but it was more like 3. I don't know what to do because my class registration appointment is at 11:50 and my shift starts at 12:30. Missing class registration would be awful since everything gets snatched up so quickly hunger games style, but I don't want to call in under my 90 days. I don't know if I'd make it to work on time if I tried to do both :(

Hey guys! I just got hit by a cold last night, was just a sore throat last night but I woke up today and now it's a runny nose, sore throat, coughing, etc. I'm still within my first 90 days so, should I call off or should I go in and try to tough it out? I know Target has policy for really bad illnesses but do we have a policy on lesser infectious stuff as far as don't go in and affect your co-workers and Guests?

A sore throat you are supposed to stay home.

Yeah I planned ahead to request time off to do class registration for my college classes, but when I tried it was too late. I thought you had to to request 2 weeks in advance but it was more like 3. I don't know what to do because my class registration appointment is at 11:50 and my shift starts at 12:30. Missing class registration would be awful since everything gets snatched up so quickly hunger games style, but I don't want to call in under my 90 days. I don't know if I'd make it to work on time if I tried to do both :(

Swap shift board? Take a closing shift that day by switching with someone

Shift swap. Start peddling your shift right now to ensure you get someone to cover for you. Offer to buy them a coffee or something to sweeten the deal if that helps.

I got a 2nd job and had to call out a few times, even though I was open with how my schedule was changing and swapped most of it.

Now I tried to take a saturday off for myself (put it in 3 weeks ahead) and I'm told its a worrying pattern and I need to decide if I actually want to work here.

/shrug

I got a 2nd job and had to call out a few times, even though I was open with how my schedule was changing and swapped most of it.

Now I tried to take a saturday off for myself (put it in 3 weeks ahead) and I'm told its a worrying pattern and I need to decide if I actually want to work here.

/shrug
Tell them you need two jobs to pay your bills.

Tell them you need two jobs to pay your bills.

TBH, the last couple months have made me fed up. Before I came here, I had wasted years and was in my mid 20s. I was happy when I got hardlines, because that was a step up for me. I decided hey, let's start moving with my life. I wanted to within a year have made progress in my life. Well I got electronics, but I don't want to be there until I'm 70. So I'm pushing myself, trying to make sure to get noticed, and learn things so that I can actually get something out of this other than a paycheck. But the TL brush me off when I ask about stuff that I know they've shown other people in similar roles to me, and refuse to help me grow. I've mentioned multiple times about wanting to take on responsibility and been brushed off. There was also for a period of about 4 months 0 people on the bench.

And I didn't complain at all when I was getting ~10 hours a week for a couple months. Times were tough, whatever. Even when the ETL held me up as an example of someone who had full availability and could get more shifts (I guess everyone else was just getting one 4 hour shift, lol).

So I had to take another job to make ends meet, and they seemed pretty ok with me changing my availability. I made every effort to give advanced notice and swap shifts.

Now when I try to take off a shift, they have the audacity to tell me to decide between my personal life and business life. All 3 hardlines team leads had the same discussion with me.

I don't have a business life here. They just need a warm body that can have keys and is keyed in the right work center for hours. I was tempted to just take the write up, but I guess this wouldn't be awful as a backup so I might as well keep it open.

Last edited:
@subotai54 i read your post and shit like that really gets my gears. Hear you are in your early stages of spot trying to "grow" and Leadership turns a Blindeye and snuffs out your chances of development. Now when you shift your focuses elsewhere outside of Spot, you time at Spot is being brought into Question?? Leadership go FUCK OFF!!! You said it best, they ARE just looking for a warm body to fill their workcenter for allotted hours!! If they honestly gave any type of concern or compassion for you as an individual they would have helped with your development in further detail. I will say they also try the "double edge sword" tactic and see how you react to constructive feedback. Has their ever been any talk to you about anything other than your attendance? Leaders have many diffenernt ways of Evaluating you on if you are ready for the next step in regards to a promotion. Good luck!

@subotai54 i read your post and shit like that really gets my gears. Hear you are in your early stages of spot trying to "grow" and Leadership turns a Blindeye and snuffs out your chances of development. Now when you shift your focuses elsewhere outside of Spot, you time at Spot is being brought into Question?? Leadership go FUCK OFF!!! You said it best, they ARE just looking for a warm body to fill their workcenter for allotted hours!! If they honestly gave any type of concern or compassion for you as an individual they would have helped with your development in further detail. I will say they also try the "double edge sword" tactic and see how you react to constructive feedback. Has their ever been any talk to you about anything other than your attendance? Leaders have many diffenernt ways of Evaluating you on if you are ready for the next step in regards to a promotion. Good luck!

I got a coaching once for taking my break different from the break schedule (even though I told the LOD I wasn't taking it at the right time and made sure to tell the LOD there was no coverage, suddenly 30m later my TL was coaching me for not informing anyone of my break...)

Idk. From last september to today there's only been 2 people added to the bench (and there was no one back then). One of our TLs left for another store in 1y+. So I guess they're just not concerned with teaching anyone since there's no movement happening anyways.

Idk. From last september to today there's only been 2 people added to the bench (and there was no one back then). One of our TLs left for another store in 1y+. So I guess they're just not concerned with teaching anyone since there's no

That's not unusual. If no TLs move or a store is over the head count you can be on the bench 3 or 4 years.

That's not unusual. If no TLs move or a store is over the head count you can be on the bench 3 or 4 years.
I don't get that. With all the need for TL's within districts all over this country, why not take these "bench" people and give them a shot? Surely they are ready or they wouldn't be added correct? Idk.

I don't get that. With all the need for TL's within districts all over this country, why not take these "bench" people and give them a shot? Surely they are ready or they wouldn't be added correct? Idk.

I believe the thinking is how far is someone willing to travel for a team lead position. I'd your commute is 60 miles coming and going is it worth the 3 dollar raise? Plus the time spent on the road.

I drive one mile to work now. It would take a big raise for me to change stores.

For an etl or stl it's different. You make enough that you can afford a long commute on the basis of the ability to pay your bills.

@HRZone completely agree. What I'm witnessing at stores around my area though, they say a TL position is open, available bench tm's should fill them correct? Only thing I see is what you said though, traveling for a tl position. I'm guessing a lot of these bench tm's want to remain in their store and I'm guessing don't mind the 3-4 year wait.

In my district, if you are on the bench, you are approved to be a TL at any store in the district. Usually, people don't want to drive more than about 10 miles. Also, we have had people turn down TL positions because they wanted a different position than what was offered. I think what team members who want to promote need to remember, is that they need to be able to lead in any area--it's not about being a great team member.

I drive one mile to work now
You drive?!

Back