I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

You drive?!

It's uphill ;)

. I think what team members who want to promote need to remember, is that they need to be able to lead in any area--it's not about being a great team member.

Agree to an extent. My old store we had a bench person who was a single mom turn down a flow TL position because we were an overnight store. Getting child care from 10 to 630 is complex.

We also had our softlines brand turn down the backroom team lead at my current store (I love her to death but no way could she run the backroom)

I agree only being willing to take one position is problematic. If you are in softlines you should be willing to jump to hardlines. A GSA should be willing to jump to market. However I would totally understand a brtm not wanting to go for gstl or like my example a softlines tm not being willing to be a brtl.

I'm avoiding going through the whole topic or searching...are call ins tracked at most/all stores? Like if someone calls in once, is that on their 'official' record (for lack of a better term) for the rest of their employment at spot?

I'm avoiding going through the whole topic or searching...are call ins tracked at most/all stores? Like if someone calls in once, is that on their 'official' record (for lack of a better term) for the rest of their employment at spot?

Yes. Your record follows you from store to store year to year. Anytime you don't show up and your scheduled mytime requires your HR team to classify your absence.

NASATS

So, as a TL, the attendance coachings are usually delivered after a team member has missed =>5% of their total month shifts. Of course, other factors apply.

Basically, show up or get another team member to cover for you using the swap shift book and have LOD sign off on it.
A coaching for attendance may not seem like a big deal, but it really counts toward your performance, your review, and your overall employment. These can stack up very quickly if you aren't careful.

Partner with your TL, HRTL, or ETL-HR and see what steps you can do to help this. If you are a hard worked and attendance is the only thing kicking your butt, let them know that you are dedicated and and they will surely work with you, and at the very least make a PIP (performance Improvement Plan) with you. If you know that you are continuously late on the same day, change the availability for that day and let HR know that you requested it.

I've tried the forum's search function + google search with no results, so I must ask. (sorry if the answer is truly out there somewhere)

But a co-worker is up with an asthma attack and he works at 7:30am tomorrow and he's planning on calling in. I couldn't tell him what to do, and as far as I know my store basically says you MUST call in two hours before your shift, but it'll be 5am. I'm not sure if an LOD will be there, I kind of doubt it, can he just ask for the ETL-LOG if she is on site or the backroom team lead? Some threads and sources have said some people were able to call in as early as 3:30am and get a hold of an LOD, so he might try that. What can he do? I think he's just gonna sleep and set an alarm for 4am and try to call in.

Officially you can call as late as two hours after the start of the shift before it's a NCNS. They prefer two hours in advance though. As long as there is a someone in the building, they can take a call off.

So today I was supposed to work but I didn't write my schedule down and thought I worked tomorrow.
So I got a no call/no show, my first one but the other day my boss got on me verbally about being late, although I wasn't asked to sign anything.
So with that and my no call/no show today, would I be fired?

So today I was supposed to work but I didn't write my schedule down and thought I worked tomorrow.
So I got a no call/no show, my first one but the other day my boss got on me verbally about being late, although I wasn't asked to sign anything.

Just a write up, you get a first, second, and final warnings. It happens, and I've been told write ups tend to go away after you haven't made any infractions in a while. I did the same exact thing you did, except I thought I had Saturday off but that was the NEXT saturday. That sucked

If I use my sick hours for a day coming up do I still have to call out? Or will it take me off the grid/schedule completely? If I do it in advance
Edit: Also how do I use sick hours

Depends if you are in your 90 *or not*

First 90 you will be fired.

If you are outside of it you will probably get a corrective action which goes on your permanent record and prevents you from transferring or promoting for six months.

They can't fire you immediately unless you do it three shifts in a row or are already on a final warning

Got bit by a spider on my leg, it ended up getting infected and it’s hurting horribly. Went to the urgent care and got a doctors note and i was told not to be on my feet for the next two days. practically keeping walking to a minimum and that’s impossible to do when you work in softlines. so today i decided to suck it up and go to work, but when i was there it was really hurting me so I ended up leaving early. I gave my LOD my doctors note and he passed it on to HR. my question is, i’m most likely gonna have to call off for my 8 hour shift tomorrow, what are the chances of me being written up? I mean i have a doctors note but i’m just curious lol. also, last time i called off was about a month or two ago i think.

Got bit by a spider on my leg, it ended up getting infected and it’s hurting horribly. Went to the urgent care and got a doctors note and i was told not to be on my feet for the next two days. practically keeping walking to a minimum and that’s impossible to do when you work in softlines. so today i decided to suck it up and go to work, but when i was there it was really hurting me so I ended up leaving early. I gave my LOD my doctors note and he passed it on to HR. my question is, i’m most likely gonna have to call off for my 8 hour shift tomorrow, what are the chances of me being written up? I mean i have a doctors note but i’m just curious lol. also, last time i called off was about a month or two ago i think.

No chance of getting writ up. Like hrzone just said, it all depends on if you're in your 90 days or not, but even if you were I'm not sure you'd get writ up or even talked to about it. You have a perfectly valid reason to not be at work for a few days + a doctor's note pretty much seals the deal

Officially Target doesn't have to accept a doctor's note but assuming you are otherwise reliable with your attendance you don't need to worry about being written up.

Not sure why I'm always so nervous trying to call out with a perfectly valid reason. Last time I was this sick they pulled the "we'd really appreciate you coming in to help the store" blah blah blah, went the whole shift, decided to call out the next day because no way in hell was I doing that again lmao.

I have a 7am shift tomorrow, I'm about to call in, ask for LOD, hopefully I don't get any shit for calling in for the morning. "Since you're 7am, I'm gonna have to ask that you come in and leave early if you need to" is probably what I'm about to hear lol. Any advice for what I should say in the event they say that? I really hate working with a sinus that drains itself every 5 seconds, a sore throat, and cold medicine stomach pains, and can't forget the stuffed pockets of tissues. Last time I worked like this, I was blowing my nose every 10 seconds, or holding a sneeze in until guest started to pay. I always feel super awkward because obviously snot goes everywhere and I'm loud when I blow my nose.

I feel a good response would be "I worry that I will make customers feel very uncomfortable" because, well, I did last time.

edit: as in, a few guests literally complained at Guest Service about how sick I was and that I got my snot all over. That's the reason why I was able to just call out the next day lol. I literally called in, LOD picked up, I said "Hey this is TTGOz, I'm gonna just call in today if that is completely fine." and he says "Oh yeah, no, I've been waiting for you to call, a few guests didn't like that you were working so sick yesterday so you can just take the day and get better"

edit 2: called in, wooow I just got sassed up the ass. I mean, I understand where my LOD comes from "well I've had the same thing you've had, and I've been coming in so.."

Don't get me wrong, if this were a sales floor or a pfresh shift, I'd totally come in still, but I literally just cannot handle a cashier shift with a virus like this. If me and this LOD talk about my call in, I'll be sure to mention things like that. I'd much rather do what he's doing instead of suffering in front of guests for 8 hours. I know I'm probably just a baby, but I have asthma problems as well that flare when I have allergies or I'm sick. Vaporub is my best friend right now. I hate that I have to explain myself, to myself, over the internet lol. I actually hope I get talked to now.

Last edited:
@TTGOz

That's why if I have to call in, I do it in the morning and I don't offer an explanation as to why. "Hey this is SFSfun, I'm scheduled at 4 for SFS, but I won't be able to come in today."

As long as I call before the LOD is there and any leader besides the STL picks up, I know I'm not going to get any attitude about it.

Call out.
If they want you to suck it up & come in, tell them about the last time & you're much more likely to be a germ sprinkler THIS time & sorry but no.
But yeh, SFSFun's idea is better.

@TTGOz

That's why if I have to call in, I do it in the morning and I don't offer an explanation as to why. "Hey this is SFSfun, I'm scheduled at 4 for SFS, but I won't be able to come in today."

As long as I call before the LOD is there and any leader besides the STL picks up, I know I'm not going to get any attitude about it.

I debated doing that, but I like my front end leaders enough to where if there's a chance they can get someone to cover my shift, I'll give them as much heads up as I can. Next I'll have to do that, I know for sure I'll be in for my Saturday Shift, sunday is another 8 hour cashier shift, but I should be better by then. It is a SCO shift too, so I can limit my guest contact.

I mean, I can understand the stipulation or attitude most LODs will give you, it's retail, it's jaw clenching; it's hard. Even if he is an LOD, he's still human and feels all the same things I do. I don't get paid enough to worry about losing my job or get a CA because I feel like poop, harsh or not. LODs and ETLs have something to lose if they call out sick, I only have hours to lose. ETLs make 60k+ a year, STLs make 100+ a year, LODs if they're SrTL can make $26 an hour. I get $10.25, I'm part time, and have no real obligations besides a car loan, insurance, and gas at this time. There's plenty of other jobs that will certainly pay me the same out there, even more than Target, probably. I really only feel bad for my GSTLs and other cashiers who are about to get slammed all morning until noon when there is hopefully enough cashiers. Now, if they asked me to explain myself and wanted an apology, I'd give it to them, because I really do feel bad. They're the one's directly dealing with it, they're the ones that have to call for the backups, drag TMs from the floor who don't want to be there because they have things to do, and deal with guests. The LOD just has to manage the crisis. I've been thinking, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the front end would still be in trouble regardless if I'm there or not, because we have bare-bone scheduling for the mornings. It was just me and two other cashiers until 9:30. One of them leaves at 11am, other leaves at 2pm, and I would leave at 3:30. I looked at Branch just to get an idea and before 3:30, there's just us six cashiers scheduled with all 3 of us leaving before 4pm, then the evening is loaded with cashiers since kids get off school and can work then.

I kind of got off on a tangent, I swear I'm not even slightly annoyed by his response to me calling out. I'm just trying to be honest with myself to make myself feel better lmao. But if he decides to have a talk with me, I will say the same exact things I've been saying in this post and my initial one. I just want to make sure I get on the same page so we understand each other. I already know if my GSTL is the one to talk to me, I know we'll be able to get to a mutual understanding, and if I get a CA or write up for it, it's nothing personal, I guess? I'll live with it. As long as I'm on the same page.

I've worked with this LOD before, and we seem to get along, he says some questionable things to me sometimes, but it seems to just be spur of the moment. Me and him never really say hi to each other if we walk by each other. Usually if we ever talk he's giving me some critical advice for the task I'm not doing his way, or he's doubting my abilities and asking if I'm comfortable working in Hardlines.

But as for calling out before an LOD is in, my friend from a previous post had called in around 4am, got the BrTL, just said he couldn't come in, and lmao BrTL apparently couldn't of cared less.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm not sure if you guys have seen me talk about how a certain leader won't let me work another work center due to availability concerns months after any initial time off requests, this is the same person. He's always been kind of like this lmao

Last edited:
In my opinion, if I was snotting and sneezing everywhere, I would feel extremely rude handling people’s things, especially their groceries. How can that LOD claim to be about guest service but then think it’s okay for you put your germy hands all over their stuff and gross them out? No offense lmao. Thankfully when I came in when I was sick like that I mainly zoned the checklanes, collected reshop and hangers, and/or did SCO throughout the day. I told them straight up I don’t want people to be complaining about me because I don’t want them leaving the store with a negative experience and that was enough for them. But good for you for calling out, I was too much of a wuss to call out so I came in and felt like I was gonna die all day lol

In my opinion, if I was snotting and sneezing everywhere, I would feel extremely rude handling people’s things, especially their groceries. How can that LOD claim to be about guest service but then think it’s okay for you put your germy hands all over their stuff and gross them out? No offense lmao. Thankfully when I came in when I was sick like that I mainly zoned the checklanes, collected reshop and hangers, and/or did SCO throughout the day. I told them straight up I don’t want people to be complaining about me because I don’t want them leaving the store with a negative experience and that was enough for them. But good for you for calling out, I was too much of a wuss to call out so I came in and felt like I was gonna die all day lol

I use to be the same exact way, I've learned to just deal with it, tho. I thought everyone was lying that eventually you get more of a backbone, you stick up for yourself more. And none taken! I agree, because that's exactly how it went last time. What's even more ironic is it's my ETL-GE that's the LOD :rolleyes:

Back