I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Which is worse - coming in late or calling out? I'm guessing coming in late since I was talked to about my attendance issues. But if someone would just approve my change of availability then maybe they would stop scheduling me to be at the store when I'm still working my full time job? Seriously - if I have to quit a job it won't be the one that pays my mortgage. With all the call outs we have you would think they'd be happy I showed up even if it was 20-30 minutes late. (And not for every shift - just a couple over the past 2 weeks.)

Feeling a little burned out at this point.

Which is worse - coming in late or calling out? I'm guessing coming in late since I was talked to about my attendance issues. But if someone would just approve my change of availability then maybe they would stop scheduling me to be at the store when I'm still working my full time job? Seriously - if I have to quit a job it won't be the one that pays my mortgage. With all the call outs we have you would think they'd be happy I showed up even if it was 20-30 minutes late. (And not for every shift - just ma couple over the past 2 weeks.)

Definitely bettee to be late.

Major issue here.

You keep saying "someone approve my availability" why havent you gone directly to your etl and ask them to approve it? Just doing it in the computer isnt good enough.

Force the issue

The hours after christmas has sucked!
I called out last night (second time in almost 11 months), nearly 9 hours before my shift hoping they could find someone else.

Multiple callouts, and the grid just sucked. Got to read the closing email and the SRTL was sad

Hey has anyone been scheduled a meal when they are only supposed to work 5 hours. I know when you work six you are supposed to take one. So I'm just wondering if this is a mistake on the schedule.

Hey has anyone been scheduled a meal when they are only supposed to work 5 hours. I know when you work six you are supposed to take one. So I'm just wondering if this is a mistake on the schedule.
Sometimes they do it to stretch your presence for an additional 30 min, sometimes they'll do it if they might ask you to stay later, sometimes it was originally a longer shift but hours were cut in the final edit.

Sometimes they do it to stretch your presence for an additional 30 min, sometimes they'll do it if they might ask you to stay later, sometimes it was originally a longer shift but hours were cut in the final edit.
I do it to avoid any possibility of compliance. Sometimes with veteran TMs I'll ask whether they want to take a lunch, but anyone I have any concern about getting to the time clock on time gets a meal.

I live in a six hour state, and usually if team members have shifts around 5.5 hours that are closing or possibly going to be extended they take a lunch. Usually, they are asked well enough in advance to know if they will need a meal or not.

I do it to avoid any possibility of compliance. Sometimes with veteran TMs I'll ask whether they want to take a lunch, but anyone I have any concern about getting to the time clock on time gets a meal.

Bingo we have TMs who have hit exactly 5 hours so being a 5 hour state we just give them a lunch.

Ok, so can I get some advice? Next week and possibly after next week I am being treated for a infection (that's all I am saying since it was from a traumatic incident, read into that what you will).

I posted my shift on the Branch Shift Swop App and a friend picked it up and it was denied by the manager.

Basically I am going to have to call in on Monday if no one picks up my shift for me.

I know other TMs have to pick up the slack but it's too late for the time off request.

In the event that they yell at me, the LOD has, I will bring a Doctors Note saying that I did have a appt.

But what should I do? Should I talk to TLs before this or hope someone takes my shift?

No this is not something that can be postponed.

Did the ETL give a reason to turn down the swap? And you shouldn't be getting yelled at by anyone.
If you can get to the Dr. office for a note beforehand, that would be a good idea. I'm sure your Dr can word the note that it is essential that you are at the appt at that time.

Which is worse - coming in late or calling out? I'm guessing coming in late since I was talked to about my attendance issues. But if someone would just approve my change of availability then maybe they would stop scheduling me to be at the store when I'm still working my full time job? Seriously - if I have to quit a job it won't be the one that pays my mortgage. With all the call outs we have you would think they'd be happy I showed up even if it was 20-30 minutes late. (And not for every shift - just a couple over the past 2 weeks.)

I'm a better late then never kinda person!!!

Did the ETL give a reason to turn down the swap? And you shouldn't be getting yelled at by anyone.
If you can get to the Dr. office for a note beforehand, that would be a good idea. I'm sure your Dr can word the note that it is essential that you are at the appt at that time.

Our number one reason for rejecting branch swaps is the person accepting is already close to 40 and would hit overtime. Number two is not being trained it that area (wouldn't happen to a cashier though)

I call out if I don't feel well and I'm pretty sure that I won't make it through 5 or more hours. I am a bit of a baby though. However judging from the number of times that either I am called and asked to come in or I get there and hear the person before me wasn't there, I think I'm either par for course or maybe even somewhat more reliable than the other regulars.

Bit of a doozy. It's complicated because I asked for this time off over a month ago for prom which is tomorrow... which got declined for some reason.

SO, I have to work tomorrow. I took tomorrow and sunday off. I got sunday off, but not the actual day of Prom. So, I went ahead and did an emergency PTO request Tuesday, which has been left un-touched as of about 10:30pm earlier today. I can't work tomorrow, so I'm probably going to wake up early tomorrow and call in, tell them I'm going to take the corrective action and that stuff or maybe by some miracle my PTO gets accepted.

I've had my shift up on branch since this schedule had been up(literally) and no one wanted an easy consumables shift(I'm normally a cashier who wanted to do a Hardlines shift so it's no surprise they schedule me to do it on the day they know I can't work.)

I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to ask, but what else is there I can do that might not make me vulnerable to any corrective action or ruined rep? I've never called in like this before and it just kind of sucks.

Bit of a doozy. It's complicated because I asked for this time off over a month ago for prom which is tomorrow... which got declined for some reason.

SO, I have to work tomorrow. I took tomorrow and sunday off. I got sunday off, but not the actual day of Prom. So, I went ahead and did an emergency PTO request Tuesday, which has been left un-touched as of about 10:30pm earlier today. I can't work tomorrow, so I'm probably going to wake up early tomorrow and call in, tell them I'm going to take the corrective action and that stuff or maybe by some miracle my PTO gets accepted.

I've had my shift up on branch since this schedule had been up(literally) and no one wanted an easy consumables shift(I'm normally a cashier who wanted to do a Hardlines shift so it's no surprise they schedule me to do it on the day they know I can't work.)

I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to ask, but what else is there I can do that might not make me vulnerable to any corrective action or ruined rep? I've never called in like this before and it just kind of sucks.
I would definitely talk to leadership to see if they can help you find someone. Explain your situation and that you reAlly don't want to call out but also really don't want to miss out.

Can't stress this enough you have to confirm time off with your etl. Just putting a request in and hoping it gets approved rarely works.

At my store not everyone can see time off request due to some mytime issues.

Step one: put in request
Step two: talk to ETL to confirm they saw it and are okay with it.

You should talk to leadership asap they will probably accommodate you because it's prom and you are a hard worker but never request and pray. That rarely ends well

So, I went ahead and did an emergency PTO request Tuesday, which has been left un-touched as of about 10:30pm earlier today
If that request was for vacation pay or pto pay, it's different from requesting the day off. You can request vacation or personal hours on a day when you already work if you wanted to. They would just add it to your pay for that week.

At my store, those don't get approved until the following Monday morning so they can be sure it doesn't put you over your average hours.

Yup, definitely learned my lesson. But they ended up calling me and saying I didn't need to come in because it was slow just by chance. Thanks for the advice guys.

Lots of fun, about a two month late reply oops.

But, I got scheduled 3 eight hour shifts this weekend that I had time off approved, do I just go to HR and let them know? I'm gonna be out of town.

Back