I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Hope you're feeling better. Have you taken any medicine?
Well, a lot of coffee and hot tea and cough drops and kleenexes counts as medicine... right? :D but I ended up going in anyways. I called them, and I ended up just going in for my entire 6 hour shift and my leaders and the ETL/LOD even kept asking me if I was doing okay or if I wanted to go home and I just stuck it out. I kind of tried to get off my shift 30 minute early but the closing GSTL must of not of been aware. Called in for my shift the next day.

Let me tell you, working cashier with a bad head cold really sucks. I looked relatively normal besides my eyes being glassy and no one not part of management knew I was sick. But working with customers on a busy day truly sucks. The first day of a cold, my snot likes to get the viscosity of water and it will literally drain from my nose. I can barely talk with my throat being so irritated, and I can't forget to mention being congested to hell. I'm much better now, but only the first stage of my cold is over. Usually starts out with a sore throat for one day then it goes away, then really bad congestion/snot issues the next two days, then it cools off really fast. I'm about one day past that calm period. Next stage is sore throat for the next week and lots of coughing.

Can't wait lol.

I'm really worried about getting fired:( I have called off since last Friday.I have crohn's so I get sick from time to time. I called in today and I'm supposed to work tomorrow but I highly doubt I'll make it since I am still sick. Should I call them today and tell them I can't make it?? Or should I wait until tomorrow or should I just show up tomorrow even though I'm incredibly sick? I'm so scared of getting fired because I've called off everyday since Friday.

Get them a doctors note to put on file. if they ever go "he/she's been out a lot recently we might have to look into this." and they can pull up that file from an electronic data base and usually on their grids it should say "so and so called in sick for personal medical reasons" and it'd probably say "due to complications of crohn's disease." if you tell them.

Thankfully I'm starting to feel a little bit better and I was able to get a note from my doctor and hopefully I'll be able to get back to work tomorrow. The only thing I dread is the people asking tomorrow are you okay?? Are you okay? What happened??

@TTGOz I agree, cashiering with a cold is one of the worst things ever. And when I was a cashier, I would get colds all the time. For me, the first day of a cold is the worst; that's when my nose is running, my eyes are watering, I sneeze a lot, I can't breathe, my head hurts, etc.

Try Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold. If I take it the first night that my nose feels funny, I feel worlds better the next day. Just make sure you drink lots of water because it has a dehydrating effect if you take it before bed.

@TTGOz I agree, cashiering with a cold is one of the worst things ever. And when I was a cashier, I would get colds all the time. For me, the first day of a cold is the worst; that's when my nose is running, my eyes are watering, I sneeze a lot, I can't breathe, my head hurts, etc.

Try Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold. If I take it the first night that my nose feels funny, I feel worlds better the next day. Just make sure you drink lots of water because it has a dehydrating effect if you take it before bed.

I would much rather work hardlines than cashier with a cold. They told me they'd keep me off the lanes and tasked me with stocking candy in the aisles and required I would backup the lanes only when needed. I ended up staying on a lane for the first 4 hours and got moved to Self check outs during the last two hours. It was better than cashiering but not nearly better than hardlines.

I'd love to get Cold medicine or something of that sort... but my 13 and 15 year old brothers when they were 12 and 14 years old chugged Cold Medicine like it was water to get high and my parents don't allow any of that sort of stuff in my house anymore(even if we have colds). I could go on for hours on how messed my brothers were for a bit... my 13 year old brother started smoking cigs at age 10. He hung out with the kids my age(Senior in Highschool, 18-19 y/o.) but they all had jail records or got expelled or kicked from my school and do those rehab programs now to get a GED or whatever it is.

woke up late, aka slept in. one hour into my shift. called my etl to let him know i'll be late.
got there 1 hour 20 minutes into my shift, basically hauled it all day.
stayed an extra hour.

First time being late and I am angry, upset and scared.

woke up late, aka slept in. one hour into my shift. called my etl to let him know i'll be late.
stayed an extra hour.

For your first time being late, you're fine. Especially because you at least called and didn't no call no show. I'd rather have a late team member than one who has disappeared off the face of the earth.

stayed an extra hour.

Since you made contact before 2 hours you have nothing to worry about. I assume you are out of 90 days.

He told me that if I'm able to get a doctor's note stating what I have and how it affects me, they can file it in their system. That way if you have to call out due to that medical problem, they know that you're not just BSing them. The file is completely confidential and isn't passed around, so you don't have to worry about that.

I was told to do the same thing. Sometimes my sciatica flares up and there's no way I can stand for 7+ hours in excruciating pain.

I had the exact opposite happen to me:mad: of course I explained here on the forum I have crohn's and my doctor explained into very good detail why I was sick my hr said you'll have to go back to the doctor full out this and have in my office asap. I explained my doctor has crazy hours and getting a appointment much less getting seen by him is pretty much impossible and she said as long as you have it back to me by next Thursday that's fine. Whew.. I honestly thought my doctor's note would help me but instead it did the exact opposite. I guess they really really want to prove I have crohn's.

Ugh.

It's germ-monkey season, I guess. I understand sometimes parents have to bring sick kids to the store, but I don't care much for them turning it into an hour-long trip (based on their cart contents) and letting their ill children touch everything. Ah, well.

I've got a nasty sinus bug going on. Started really late Tuesday, and progressed during my day off yesterday. I felt like I'd really need the rest even if I recovered, so yesterday afternoon I called out for my 7+ hour shift today. Glad I did, since I'm not any better yet at all. :( Just hoping it won't count against me too much since I'm still within my first 90 days. This is my first/only call-out since I started here.

I'm not one to call out unless I know I'm bad enough off that I wouldn't be able to commute safely and/or do my job (and as of today, I'm sure if anyone even saw me they'd be spraying disinfectant in my direction). Fingers crossed I'll feel up for my short shift tomorrow.

Made it through my Friday shift...

I'm thinking having called out Thursday won't be made into a huge deal. Almost a dozen other people did, and half of everyone who showed up Friday looked like death warmed over. Crap going around, I guess. Thankfully, I have the weekend off to continue recovering.

I have a question!! I forgot to check my schedule before leaving work yesterday, and the online schedule isn't working. I have no idea if I work tomorrow, or not. Would it be rude to call and ask someone to check for me? Who would I ask to speak to, the LOD? I live an hour away, so I don't exactly want to drive all the way down there just to check my schedule..

I have a question!! I forgot to check my schedule before leaving work yesterday, and the online schedule isn't working. I have no idea if I work tomorrow, or not. Would it be rude to call and ask someone to check for me? Who would I ask to speak to, the LOD? I live an hour away, so I don't exactly want to drive all the way down there just to check my schedule..

You can call and ask for someone to check.
Some stores have a policy of not giving the info for an assortment of reasons; it happens too much, too much risk of the wrong person (a stalker type) getting it, or they just don't have the time.

Technically, nobody at the store is really allowed to give you your schedule over the phone. I'm not sure what good calling and asking an LOD would do, as I don't know how strict yours are. If you have a coworker's number you could always ask them if they could check for you, or if your HR is cool, see if they'd be willing to sneak the info to you.

stayed an extra hour.

are u within your 90 days, are you a good worker, did you apologize when you got there?? those are the things that I look at when someone is late or calls and says that they'll be late.

So I was hired as a seasonal member for hardlines earlier this month and have been good about being on time so far. I finish the tasks I'm assigned with and have been told by a team lead that I'm doing a good job. Unfortunately, not having worked retail before, I got pretty sick Thursday (day off) and called out on Friday because I was feeling feverish. A cough developed Saturday, but the congestion and runny nose had subsided mostly, so I went into work. On Sunday, the cold really settled into my chest, so the hacking cough, phlegm, and wheezing. I rested most of the day and figured I could probably deal with the 5 hour shift that evening. I lasted maybe 3 hours before asking to leave early. Shortness of breath and my chest was so tight! It felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I was doing pulls and could barely handle it. How bad would it be to call out today? I'm really worried about this 90 day probationary period. I don't want to call out, but I'm barely functional.

So I was hired as a seasonal member for hardlines earlier this month and have been good about being on time so far. I finish the tasks I'm assigned with and have been told by a team lead that I'm doing a good job. Unfortunately, not having worked retail before, I got pretty sick Thursday (day off) and called out on Friday because I was feeling feverish. A cough developed Saturday, but the congestion and runny nose had subsided mostly, so I went into work. On Sunday, the cold really settled into my chest, so the hacking cough, phlegm, and wheezing. I rested most of the day and figured I could probably deal with the 5 hour shift that evening. I lasted maybe 3 hours before asking to leave early. Shortness of breath and my chest was so tight! It felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I was doing pulls and could barely handle it. How bad would it be to call out today? I'm really worried about this 90 day probationary period. I don't want to call out, but I'm barely functional.

I think because your illness is related to your first absence you should be okay. I know they are making threats but sometimes thats just to put the fear of God in people to come in unless they absolutely cant.

Three absences might be pushing it but I think missing 2 shouldnt kill you.

Thanks, HRZone. I think it might be time to try to find something else to do, with benefits. I didn't realize I'd be classified as seasonal, much less that seasonal employees aren't eligible for benefits.

I called in 6+ hours early today because I've been puking my insides out... I thought I was cashier tonight but apparently I might of been closing Cart Attendant tonight and apparently the other guy's called in as well(fucking great.) and my friend who happens to be another CA here messaged me saying they called him but he won't come in because he doesn't wanna work...

I feel like I'm about to get the wrath of my store, and I wanna rip out my "friend's" throat. I plan to return to work tomorrow right away at 8am because I actually took my "friend's" shift but I feel I won't be able to just come in and do carts peacefully without getting explained that they had no closing CA and that I should of came in anyways or just be made out to be at fault here. Should I really have to worry about anything? I feel really angsty and my stomach isn't helping me calm down.

I just feel like since they're most likely going to have to get someone out there that's not supposed to do carts(and probably didn't dress to be outside for a few hours.) that I'm gonna get written up for this or reprimanded. I haven't called in at least since late October so attendance can't be their main concern.

I'm just really anxious I'm going to get in trouble for this and that the managers are going to be really aggressive towards me for this. I shouldn't be worried, should I..?

I called in 6+ hours early today because I've been puking my insides out... I thought I was cashier tonight but apparently I might of been closing Cart Attendant tonight and apparently the other guy's called in as well(fucking great.) and my friend who happens to be another CA here messaged me saying they called him but he won't come in because he doesn't wanna work...

I feel like I'm about to get the wrath of my store, and I wanna rip out my "friend's" throat. I plan to return to work tomorrow right away at 8am because I actually took my "friend's" shift but I feel I won't be able to just come in and do carts peacefully without getting explained that they had no closing CA and that I should of came in anyways or just be made out to be at fault here. Should I really have to worry about anything? I feel really angsty and my stomach isn't helping me calm down.

I just feel like since they're most likely going to have to get someone out there that's not supposed to do carts(and probably didn't dress to be outside for a few hours.) that I'm gonna get written up for this or reprimanded. I haven't called in at least since late October so attendance can't be their main concern.

I'm just really anxious I'm going to get in trouble for this and that the managers are going to be really aggressive towards me for this. I shouldn't be worried, should I..?

My store had 6 call outs today so you will be fine. When we have call outs our ETL GE pulls carts. It sucks but if Target is a team effort that means everyone pitches in. How many times have you been called and came in to help? Why should they hold it against you that you call in and no one was willing to do what you did.

Yeah last night they had the AM Cart Attendant stay til 6:00 (voluntarily) and ended up putting a cashier who was a girl and someone else I forgot who. I got talked to... but it wasn't what I was expecting, they just told me the situation and how it was handled. I've came in a few times to help with carts, they actually don't call that much for help with carts.

I could sort of feel the passive aggression but they weren't irrational with anything. They explained I had no idea of knowing and that it was OK. I do feel bad since we had no closing cart attendants that they had a girl go out. I mean, I'm not saying she couldn't of done it or anyone else not a guy couldn't of done it, but I just feel bad. I'm having trouble wording why, she didn't have to do it but she did. I'd rather go out or some other guy to go and do carts than let a girl freeze outside and have to do our strenuous work. I'd totally make the sacrifice. And if I was there as a cashier and saw her going out I would of at least offered, so then she knows if she can't handle it I could of just went out.

Oh well... I'm gonna try talking to her tomorrow if I get the chance. Ask her if she did(I know she did) and say thanks and everything. See if she's upset, Maybe pour a little bit of this post out :rolleyes: whatever happens. Or maybe I should just leave it.

Yeah last night they had the AM Cart Attendant stay til 6:00 (voluntarily) and ended up putting a cashier who was a girl and someone else I forgot who. I got talked to... but it wasn't what I was expecting, they just told me the situation and how it was handled. I've came in a few times to help with carts, they actually don't call that much for help with carts.

I could sort of feel the passive aggression but they weren't irrational with anything. They explained I had no idea of knowing and that it was OK. I do feel bad since we had no closing cart attendants that they had a girl go out. I mean, I'm not saying she couldn't of done it or anyone else not a guy couldn't of done it, but I just feel bad. I'm having trouble wording why, she didn't have to do it but she did. I'd rather go out or some other guy to go and do carts than let a girl freeze outside and have to do our strenuous work. I'd totally make the sacrifice. And if I was there as a cashier and saw her going out I would of at least offered, so then she knows if she can't handle it I could of just went out.

Oh well... I'm gonna try talking to her tomorrow if I get the chance. Ask her if she did(I know she did) and say thanks and everything. See if she's upset, Maybe pour a little bit of this post out :rolleyes: whatever happens. Or maybe I should just leave it.

You are over thinking things. Bc shes a girl it doesnt mean grabbing carts was hard for her. Some people like grabbing carts because of the independence and break from guest and red cards.

Original guilt retracted. I guess I was more worried because it was like -1 degrees F all day and last night was -5F. I would of been worried about anyone because most likely no one not scheduled for carts comes in prepared to do carts and dresses to be outside for a period of time.

Back