I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

The cough mask gives off the appearance you should have stayed home. Definitely should stay home.

I think jb is right. Call out and explain you tried to work through your sickness but hacked and coughed your whole last shift. We have had people come back from sickness too early and be sent home.

The flu is super bad where I'm at, too, so I would definitely call out. This flu season is really bad and if your store gives you shit about it, spend your shift researching stats on this year's flu season to send them. Or message me the phone number and I'll call as a "concerned guest".

Seriously. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they end up closing my kids' school because of so many flu cases. I've never seen anything quite like this, even in the H1N1 year. Don't risk it.

You will definitely receive a coaching or corrective action, but you probably won’t be fired without any past write ups.

Can they fire for a NCNS? I’ve had 3 call outs and 2 lates in the last month because I’ve been getting randomly sick. I didn’t know I had a shift but when I checked this morning, I had a shift which was a mistake on my part for not checking.
I keep getting randomly sick and I don’t know how it keeps coming at me. I’ve been sick 3 different times and I don’t know how I keep getting sick. I’m worried about my mental and physical health but now my job is adding more stress to that.

Yes repeated NCNS can be grounds for termination. You need to call out if you're sick. If you're too sick to call then you're sick enough to go to the doctor's. Bring in a doctor's note to get your absence excused.

Can they fire for a NCNS? I’ve had 3 call outs and 2 lates in the last month because I’ve been getting randomly sick. I didn’t know I had a shift but when I checked this morning, I had a shift which was a mistake on my part for not checking.
I keep getting randomly sick and I don’t know how it keeps coming at me. I’ve been sick 3 different times and I don’t know how I keep getting sick. I’m worried about my mental and physical health but now my job is adding more stress to that.

Your first one in 90 days no. But with your problems you will probably be on a corrective action and your store may be thinking of getting rid of you.

I would talk to HR and apologize for your attendance and let them know you are trying to get your life together. If they have a heart they will maybe try to work with you to schedule you less if that's what's needed

We've had multiple people on Corrective Action lately for NCNS. People that have been at the store 2 & 3 plus years. Always call out, you can get past callouts or even being late, but call or even get the email for HR and email that you can't come in. Heck get a coworkers phone number and text them if you've tried to call out and can't get through. It's bad enough that you can't make it in, but it hurts everyone if you don't even show up or say anything.

Personally I always give a Corrective Action for a NCNS, but then I give my phone to anyone that I work with so they have no excuse not to get ahold of me.

What's best practice for coaching a team member for attendance? Do you have to always look at a 30 day period and have at least 3 lates/call outs in order to coach a team member? Or can two call outs in a one week period term be spoken about as well?

It’s all up to your expectations. If it’s become an issue, coach on every occurrence. Callouts should be rare. If you’re getting too sick to work more than once every couple months, there’s something wrong with you and you need to go to a doctor or you need to stop being a bitch and take some Advil. Every callout effects your business.

Do I coach on a single callout? No. I definitely ask them about it, but it does happen. I don’t coach until there’s a clear pattern.

That makes sense I usually center the coaching around "Over the past __ days, we've noticed a trend in your unrealability." I just feel iffy about how to coach about every single absence or tardy because how are you identifying a pattern if you're only coaching for two absences that happened in the same week?

After clocking out yesterday, I informed the ETL I didn't feel up for my opening shift today. I busted my ass Sunday with an extra-long shift, covered 4 departments, and overdid it. An old injury is acting up, and if I move the wrong way, I can barely breathe due to the pain. Told them if I did come in, I'd likely get halfway through opening duties, and end up crying on the floor in the walk-in. I'm talking vicodin-doesn't-touch-it pain, here.

I was guilt-tripped for my "excessive" call-outs since I've transferred (which I believe is 2-3, when I was actually sick, and thus wouldn't be allowed to work in food anyway). It was suggested I make a doctor appointment, show up for my shift, stop halfway to go to the appointment, and come back. No. One, that's not how appointments work, and two, that's just absurd. I'm old enough now to realize my health comes first.

I am choosing to refrain from many choice words for my ETL right now.

That makes sense I usually center the coaching around "Over the past __ days, we've noticed a trend in your unrealability." I just feel iffy about how to coach about every single absence or tardy because how are you identifying a pattern if you're only coaching for two absences that happened in the same week?

Particularly if the TM is really sick. Sometimes taking off one day isn't enough to fully recover.

I would say taking 2 or even 3 days off in a row because of the flu is different than calling out 3 Saturdays in a row (frex).

Though if you notice a formerly reliable TM is starting to call out more often, it may not be laziness, but something else. Did their schedule change so they're working different days or different hours? Did something change in their life outside of Target that makes their usual schedule harder to manage? They should be talking to leaders if their schedule changes in ways that aren't really working for them, obviously but some people might be worried about doing that or something and think it's better to call out instead (or they think it will be a more temporary problem than it is).

I had to call out of work today because I was sick, for a bike shift I can make up later in the week anyways, new ETL less than a week or two working in my store, chewed me out saying "You can't just call out of work and not come in. Not okay." then promptly hung up. He also lectured me something about the time clock/ punch in for some reason, but I didn't catch it exactly.

Are ETLs/LOD allowed to chew someone out? I know they can ask why I'm calling out, but I also know that's the only thing they're allowed to ask. But are they allowed to lecture/tell team members over the phone?

Like, come on man. Had a fever of 103 and then up most of the night vomming. You don't want that in your store.

Like I've suggested before: Come in long enough to spew bucket huxties on his shoes.
Bonus points if they're leather.

What percentage of call outs do you think are for BS reasons? Birthdays, anniversaries, not wanting to work, lazy f****ing TMs.
I feel like 90% of call outs are BS.

I mean yeah, probably. I live in a state that might as well encourage call outs.

So my ETL called me into his office to talk about my attendance claiming I've been calling out "every other weekend." I called out this past Friday. Then Saturday over a month ago. Then a Thursday 6 weeks before that. And then my very first call out last summer was a Saturday. Like ffs is it that hard to actually check your records before you call someone off the floor to lecture them about their attendance? I'm not saying my attendance is perfect but wow, at least get your facts straight.

So my ETL called me into his office to talk about my attendance claiming I've been calling out "every other weekend." I called out this past Friday. Then Saturday over a month ago. Then a Thursday 6 weeks before that. And then my very first call out last summer was a Saturday. Like ffs is it that hard to actually check your records before you call someone off the floor to lecture them about their attendance? I'm not saying my attendance is perfect but wow, at least get your facts straight.
So, if your attendance is not perfect, then you have no leg to stand on, thus you will have to bow your head in shame, and take it...... cause thats how it works. So , yeah. Bow, in shame.

can my boss DENY my call out? i'm sick and won't be able to make it to my opening shift, i called the night before to give them extra time (and to avoid waking up at 6am when i should be resting..) and he told me no and that i need to call in the morning. he might as well have accused me of faking.

can my boss DENY my call out? i'm sick and won't be able to make it to my opening shift, i called the night before to give them extra time (and to avoid waking up at 6am when i should be resting..) and he told me no and that i need to call in the morning. he might as well have accused me of faking.

He was being a jerk but what he meant was he can't take your call out.
You have to call in the morning and talk to the LOD,
Which is splitting hairs and being kind of dickish but there you go.
ASANTS

Back