I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

I was just thankful to have a job. Complain all you want. It's not going to change anything. This is the most important time in retail. You should know this going in. This is the time of year where you just have to suck it up. If you have a problem, you'd better start looking for a job in another field. Plain and simple.

Amen

We should at least get paid a livable wage to do it.

I want the money. I was kind of bummed I didn't start on the holiday and get the extra money. I also enjoy laughing at the people who are stupid camping in tents on the lines to save 20 bucks on a tv. But it is the biggest year in retail. I was just thankful to have a job. Complain all you want. It's not going to change anything. This is the most important time in retail. You should know this going in. This is the time of year where you just have to suck it up. If you have a problem, you'd better start looking for a job in another field. Plain and simple.

UPDATE: This is addressed to all complainers, not any one person.

I have Christmas Eve off...as usual, I asked off for part of the day, and got the whole day off. I feel really bad.

Red, I was wandering around with a bunch of knife blocks today trying to figure out where to put them since they had gone clearance, and they really wanted them out on the floor. I kept thinking of you, and wished you were in my store...I knew you'd know what to do with them.

I worked almost every available hour for the "thankgsiving holiday" and after taxes my check was about a whopping $30 more than normal. Needless to say i am never doing that again, i will be enjoying my family time here on out.

I'll probably set some kind of record, cause I don't wanna retire.

{I envision myself with an electric wheelchair, tootling around the store with my one up pole in one hand, and a cart full of signs tied to the back.}

:facepalm:

You'd need a modified WAVE with a chair really for some the heavier more complicated sets. I imagine a compact swivel chair for the WAVE and a ramp stationed in the back that you could drive your electric one up and just transfer over to.

At some point over the holidays, I picked up a chest cold. I was starting to feel the first signs of it yesterday at work, but upon waking up this morning, it's way worse than I expected. I'm having a hard time talking and find myself in a coughing fit every few minutes. It sounds pretty nasty.

I've never called in sick to work before, not even once in the 5 years I was at my old job. But I think I might need to do so in this case. I'm supposed to work tomorrow, either 2-9:45 or 5-9:45 (I have to double check). I feel bad about it, because our TL left work yesterday after an hour, due to sickness as well. So I know that there are already a limited amount of people to cover these shifts. And I was supposed to close with one of our new employees. But I honestly don't think I'd be a very productive worker despite my best efforts. I personally feel like people would probably be grossed out if I was making their drinks, and would probably have a difficult time understanding me if I was taking orders.

So anyway, all of that was to ask... How exactly does one go about calling out of work? Who should I speak with when I call? And when is an okay time to call? I don't want them to think that I just want a Friday night off of work by calling today, but I also want to give them a fair amount of warning. I can tell that this isn't the worst of it, and it will probably continue to get worse tomorrow, based on what I know from other times I've been sick.

Just call at least 2 hours before your shift starts and ask for the LOD. If you sound as bad as you are saying they should understand. Hope you feel better soon.

Not only should you not go into work if you work in Food Ave, Starbucks or pFresh, but you CAN'T. I believe Target has you sign a form when you begin to work for them stating that you will not come into work if you're exhibiting certain symptoms. I think a fever is one of them but I can't remember; it's been awhile. Anyway, Target CANNOT allow you to work with food if you're sick so in that case, it stinks, but it's not up to you.

Otherwise...you could vomit all over the store and they can't make you go home. ;) But, if you're really sick, it shouldn't be a problem. I believe the LOD's will sometimes press the issue if they're short-staffed just to make sure you're really sick, but I've never had them do that to me. I'm a responsible adult who doesn't call out for stupid reasons so when I'm sick, they know I'm sick. It's the kids who call out because they're too hungover to come into work or couldn't find someone to pick up a shift who make it difficult for the rest of us.

But yeah, unless your leadership are real pains, you should be fine. :)

Is it okay for the LOD to guilt trip, then threaten you with negative consequences over the phone when you're calling in? I feel like that would be working off the clock having to talk about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it okay for the LOD to guilt trip, then threaten you with negative consequences over the phone when you're calling in? I feel like that would be working off the clock having to talk about that.

No, it does not count as working off the clock.

This is standard procedure.... just blow it off. The ETLs are only thinking of their own interests, not yours. And even if they imply something bad will happen to you, just know they are full of sh**. As long as you follow company policy on calling in you are totally fine.

In all my years, I have never ever seen anyone get in trouble simply calling in. Now, if it turns out you were lying.... for example, saying you were home throwing up but then show up to the store shopping.... then yea, you have a problem. But as long as you are being honest and following policy you are pretty much untouchable.

Ok so they can't at-will term a permament employee whos been around a long time?

They don't like me and I don't like them, and they know it.

SoT, I would have t disagree with you on that. In my store all TL's are to coach a person for EVERY call out they do. If you get too many, you get the written CCA and then can get fired. It does not matter if your husband/wife died, you have a doctor's note, or you had a heart attack. My store coaches every call out no matter what. It has the side effect of making the team scared to call so I'd guess we have fewer call outs than other stores.... I guess that's a bonus...... but the team is constantly in fear of losing their jobs due to getting the flu or something.....

I know there was a thread about ETLs and guilt trips for calling out, but I don't have time to look for it. So it definitely isn't uncommon.

SoT, I would have t disagree with you on that. In my store all TL's are to coach a person for EVERY call out they do. If you get too many, you get the written CCA and then can get fired. It does not matter if your husband/wife died, you have a doctor's note, or you had a heart attack. My store coaches every call out no matter what. It has the side effect of making the team scared to call so I'd guess we have fewer call outs than other stores.... I guess that's a bonus...... but the team is constantly in fear of losing their jobs due to getting the flu or something.....

That is frelling evil and counter productive in the long run.
What happens when you have sick people who work with food coming in because they have been browbeaten by hostile ETLs?

A couple weeks ago, the FA person was throwing up so I told him to leave immediately and I closed it down at 6:45 as soon as he left. Do not pass go, do not call the LOD, just clock out and get home. Later the LOD came to me, asking why I shut down FA so early. I explained and he said, "Couldn't he have stayed a couple more hours?" I laughed and offered to get him a pizza that the FA TM had just prepared. "Oh, I guess we don't want people with stomach viruses making food."

Really? Really? I don't eat there anyway, but I'm sure not gonna eat there with the TM puking all over place.

In short, if you're in the food area at all, you get a pass. If you're anywhere else in the store, you get grilled by the LOD when calling in or leaving early.

Back