I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

I feel you..... Someone in Cafe was telling me tonight she only got 8 hrs for next week and she normally works at least 25 to 8? Ouch...... She was telling me she needs to find another job and she was begging people for more hrs on the swap shifts board but sadly those got snatched up quickly due to the hrs being cut. The crazy part is just the other day they were begging people to come in when they just cut people's hrs go figure that one last minute of course.... How can anyone survive with these hrs?? I guess we should be thankful we all have a job and have hrs but come on let's be real these hrs are awful and things are not getting done I can even see it in electronics when I work.

Personally, I don't think so. The reason why they have call-ins two hours before your shift is so they can have time to find a replacement for you. If you show up KNOWING that you are going to go home, it's the same as calling in five minutes before your shift. They can't DO anything, but it's pretty frustrating to all involved because you've basically just blindsided them.

Unless you have a history of attendance issues or call-offs, you shouldn't have a problem. Call as soon as you know you aren't going to be able to go in; for early morning, try the night before although you may need to call again in the morning.

Seems like their red reasoning is the two people scheduled for any given night should be able to do all of pfresh market hardlines and softlines all while dealing with the guests, going for backup, and reshop. Oh wait that's the cart attendant my bad. Their motto is the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many. Or one guy should be able to do the whole store and help guests no problem. Can y'all tell I'm waiting for hours to pick back up?

Personally, I don't think so. The reason why they have call-ins two hours before your shift is so they can have time to find a replacement for you. If you show up KNOWING that you are going to go home, it's the same as calling in five minutes before your shift. They can't DO anything, but it's pretty frustrating to all involved because you've basically just blindsided them.

Unless you have a history of attendance issues or call-offs, you shouldn't have a problem. Call as soon as you know you aren't going to be able to go in; for early morning, try the night before although you may need to call again in the morning.

This would be my first time calling off ever. It sucks because I hate the idea of having to call off; But I really feel like crap. I think I'll call around 2 1/2 hours before my scheduled shift.

Which is silly, because they never actually call anyone in to replace them...they either extend the hours of people already there or go without....at least at my store.

How can they get away with scheduling PFresh so tight? It's BP to have at least one person come it at 6am every morning to do a deep cull...it's supposed to take an HOUR. How are you supposed to do that if you don't come in till 8? And if you leave at 8, you can't do it the night before. I'd kick up a fuss if it was my store.

When they cut my hours and I have 40 hours worth of signing to do in 20, when something can't get done I leave it in the back and get to it when I can.
Doesn't seem that would work very well with fresh food.
Too much of this and people are going to get sick.

OP - quick way to fix this.

Anonymous tip to your local health department that P-fresh is not meeting legal safety requirements at your store. After the surprise inspection your store gets, chances are you will never be this short on hours again.....

Speaking of, we had a surprise visit from the county health department recently. We did fine, though. That's what the Steritech visits are for...get you used to the visits and requirements so when the real thing does happen, you're ready.

Thanks for the responses. They have cut hours all over the store. Electronics works 9-9 or 10-9 I think now, so they arent even back there the first hour or two for guest traffic, so the poor guest has to find someone on salesfloor to help I guess. Our CAFE closes at 6:30 now I think. Im so fed up over this though. When I started pfresh when we launched it I was under the asssumption I would get at least 30 or so hours FFS, now im getting 25-27 a week and that INCLUDES 2 C+S shifts that are about 9 hours or so combined. So basically getting like 18 market hours and im a #%#%#% PA not a market tm or a regular TM.

My TL of course gets to work the 7-8 hour opening shifts 5 days a week and then the closers do a 2:30 or 3 to 7 this week and 4-8 for the presumable future. So basically for the PAs the only shifts we get to work are the 2 opening 8 hour shifts when the CTL isnt there and the 4 hour closing shifts, whoopdeee dooo. Besides C+S that leaves about 44ish hours for all of us. Oh and we have 2 PAs and then had someone xfer a few months ago and they are now splitting all 3 of our hours equally for market horray. The crappy part is ive been a PA since we opened pfresh 1 and 1/2 years ago, the other PA has been one for about 8 months or so I think, and our CTL has been in pfresh all of 1 month, yet they are there about HALF the time. We were also number 1 for metrics too for the last year, dont see that repeating.

Its just, beyond frustrating, because they expect us to zone everything in dry along with all the pfresh areas, some LODS try to push reshop on us, expect us to get all the cleaning done in the little spare room we have, recently come up with having to do vendor status every week. The CTL and 2 PAs divided our vendors up to do a "status" with every month, horray for even more time wasted. And then to top it off we cant even have hard alcohol filled to the max, nope, gotta lock ALL of it, limit how much is out there, fill what is missing on our manual capacity in the morning, and fill out what is missing at night from that, urggh, so much extra crap to do too.

The LOD on tuesday when I was trying to get everything done after coming in at 7, was like,
"oh hey btw theres a whole cart of reshop just waiting up here for you, you know, JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, oh and uh, btw doesnt look like they got to the dry zone last night, you mind doing that too."

I had closed the night before so obviously I knew what had and had not been zoned. I hadnt gotten to dry because I had to leave at freaking 7. The pulls dont even stop coming out until after the 5 batches and I had to take a break during the 4 hours I had. In those 4 hours of closing I still managed to get all of the push done, zone all the freezers, pfresh, and coolers, the whole backwall of dry, do the QMOS AND do meat coupons AND still do 3 aisles of dry.

Yes let me get RIGHT on that, when I have,
The milk vendor coming in at 7:30, basically when I am just finishing up my first CAF, have all the remaining CAFS to do, have research, have to fill the alcohol, have to zone all of pfresh to make it look not destroyed, have to fill up bananas, push the research, do the order, receive and put away C+S pallets, daily cleaning, QMOS the remaining turkeys since our leadership told us to get rid of the remaining ones (we have 4 grey donation bins and 7-8 boxes they come in on a flatbed). Oh and now that the bunker is empty set the planogram and fill that up, doing my own pulls and pushing it myself. Doing that while taking 2 15 minute breaks and my lunch and they expect me to somehow zone and push reshop, its just laughable, it really %##% is. I managed to do all of that btw, besides the zone and reshop and the LOD snuck the reshop cart over to the pfresh area and it remained there til I left and didnt get touched.

Last edited:
They cut our sales floor, as in only fitting room and electronics on valentines day. My zone is at least 600 shelves and 30 end apps.

I'm done with this crap, especially since HR now has two assistants and AP hours doubled.

Ironically enough I was looking at AP hours and they get like 40 more per week than we do in pfresh... O_O

AP are the only hours not tied to sales

Amen, amen, AMEN!!! Preach it!!! He speaks the truth!

Seriously, how does target think they can be on the fresh food business with such pathetically understaffed stores? It is unrealistic and unreasonable.

They can't compete if they refuse to spend the money to do the job properly & don't think this isn't very good news for the local supermarkets.

The shelves are a mess & nothing is in the right place. It's a joke to even ask customers "CIHYFS" because it's impossible to find anything & you just look like a fool in front of annoyed customers.

Customers are annoyed waiting on slow lines because there aren't enough open registers & eventually customers realize it's stupid to run to Target when a trip to your local supermarket is always faster in & out. And supermarkets always have much better sales than Target does even if their prices are a bit higher when the items are not on sale. Smart shoppers read their local supermarkets weekly circulars & stock up when the items they like are on sale.

And Target's parking lots are almost always full of abandoned shopping carts & most people don't want their cars scratched so they can save a few dollars. No, they'll go to the supermarkets were the lots are cleared & cars are safe from dings & scratches.

Target either realizes that it has to spend money in each store to make money or they continue to run this company into the ground little by little until it's completely dead.

But as long as corporate is raking in their big bucks, why should they care about the future or the dispensable employees?

I completely understand the issues. It's the same way at my store. P fresh goes hours without coverage (no one to push the pulls, when someone calls out no one evens culls).
I also have schedules coming up where every other team lead is given 40 hours except me (hardlines TL). It all makes lots of sense!

Which is silly, because they never actually call anyone in to replace them...they either extend the hours of people already there or go without....at least at my store.

My store usually does the same thing! Though I have been called in a few times...

Right, my store will often do that too. But at least they have an option, and for shift-critical jobs like FA where someone trained HAS to be there to cover the shift or the place can't operate, it's a big deal.

You'll be fine. There is NO reason to feel bad about a legitimate reason to call off; that is what the system is there for. Just because others abuse it doesn't mean you'll get in trouble or should feel guilty for doing what is owed you.

Back