I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

All threads regarding calling in, being sick, late, no call no show, or anything attendance related will be redirected here.

I know tm need to call out 2 hours before the shift or they get corrections, but what if that tm does it constantly lets say once every 2 weeks (calling 2 hrs ahead of course)? Is there a limit how many times a tm can call out?

Last edited by a moderator:
No real policy...

Under 90 days, the store can terminate the TM after one incident.

Over 90 days, it depends on the excuse and the store. Some of my stores would give 3 unexcused call-ins in 90 days would resort in a coaching, another 3 would be a CA. Then 1 additional would be termination.

But it really depends on the situation. If it is due to an illness, then the TM can just bring a doctors note in and more than likely it would be excused. If its because of a family member being hurt, sick, or needs to be looked after, then the TM just needs to inform the Execs ASAP. If no reason is given, then it will count against the TM's attendance.

We consider 2 CI's in a 30 day period to be excessive. We do tend to look at the circumstances though.

I've called in 4 times this month. However those are my only call ins for the year, and I only called in once last year, this combined with working nearly a month worth of time while sick. If I get written up I will quit, however I doubt they will waste their time when they consider my record for coming in anyways and picking up shifts with little or no notice.

In my 9 years, I only officially called out once due to illness and temperature. Then I was out on workers comp for a month. Then one day of bereavement leave.

I worked perfectly well, sick, hurt, with no voice...

In my 9 years, I only officially called out once due to illness and temperature. Then I was out on workers comp for a month. Then one day of bereavement leave.

I worked perfectly well, sick, hurt, with no voice...

What is your position in the company? You see at my level and pay grade that type of dedication is not warranted. Say what you will, but never calling out sick when sick as a near minimum wage worker is stupid, causes recovery to take longer, and potentially endangers you/ gets others sick.

The only call ins i have an issue with are the drunk ones. I understand people needing a mental health day though. Retail is brutal.

Situations vary. For example if you have a team member that works 1 shift per week and calls out 3 times in one month, they only make their shifts 25% of the time. But for someone averages 40 hours a week that wouldn't be quite as bad. The thing that I think works well is for their TL or ETL to actually acknowledge that they missed a shift. Too many times it is ignored so the person figures that they didn't get in trouble so why not do it again. The thing that really gets me is that these kinds of team members always think they are sticking it to Target when it reality they are sticking it to their friends and coworkers. They are the ones taking on the extra workload.

Yup, we have a "Christie Crisis" who calls out a couple times a month for a family death (must be an orphan by now), medical emergency (hypochondriac), transportation issue (doesn't drive, relies on others), fill-in-the-blank. Some of us have a pool running as to when she'll next call out.

The thing that really gets me is that these kinds of team members always think they are sticking it to Target when it reality they are sticking it to their friends and coworkers. They are the ones taking on the extra workload.

Truer words were never spoken. We currently have 6 BR TMs on our ON truck process. We have two call ins and another with a day off. Makes it very difficult to get pulls done, truck backstocked, plus backstock from the push. (Especially if it's a night when we have a double.) There's one Flow TM that worked only one day a week when we were on the 4am shift. Almost without fail she would call in for two of her four shifts for the month. :facepalm:

Anyone I talk to in the professional field says if you call in even once, you're putting your job on the line. No call no show results in immediate termination.

Yet Target allows TMs to call out multiple times in a month, and not say a word about it?

Poor attendance is one of the biggest problems I have with my co-workers. Some of them are cool people, but their attendance is just horrible.

It really doesn't make sense to me.

Calling out a lot after your 90 day period looks bad, but it takes a good deal to get termed for it. However watch as your ETL won't give you shifts because they know you won't come in. You'll get a shift a week.

Anyone I talk to in the professional field says if you call in even once, you're putting your job on the line. No call no show results in immediate termination.

Yet Target allows TMs to call out multiple times in a month, and not say a word about it?

Poor attendance is one of the biggest problems I have with my co-workers. Some of them are cool people, but their attendance is just horrible.

It really doesn't make sense to me.

Comparing working at Target to a REAL job is insulting. I work a good job in addition to Target. They don't even compare. I won't call off my good job unless I'm dead. I won't hesitate to call off Target if I'm sick. The difference? My good job pays almost 6 times as much as Target. As to why I'm working at Target? Hours at my other job are hand in hand with the economy, more so than my hours at Target which are tied to consumer spending. consumers are a hell of a lot less fickle than investors and businessmen. That's beside the point.

Don't expect much out of people that you pay just over minimum wage. There's no such thing as "A job is a job". You get what you pay for, and Target is ain't paying for ************.

This is why I don't understand Target. I've probably called out 4 times in the past 3 years but they've called me in the same amount in the same period, not to mention I've swapped a lot of shifts during that time. Does Target recognize Target TM's who come in / stay later to pick up more hours? If so then if you did both, it wouldn't look as bad unless you had a legit excuse.

I would believe once a month is excusable. Now a no-call-no-show (which is even worse) is very bad and you should never do that. I think if you ever are late, just let some1 in the store know as soon as possible (HR presumably) One of my co-workers who balances out 2 jobs is always somewhere between 15-30 mins late bcus he works back-to-back jobs and Target understands prematurely. And so he always tries to call the store if he will be late.

Comparing working at Target to a REAL job is insulting. I work a good job in addition to Target. They don't even compare. I won't call off my good job unless I'm dead. I won't hesitate to call off Target if I'm sick. The difference? My good job pays almost 6 times as much as Target. As to why I'm working at Target? Hours at my other job are hand in hand with the economy, more so than my hours at Target which are tied to consumer spending. consumers are a hell of a lot less fickle than investors and businessmen. That's beside the point.

Don't expect much out of people that you pay just over minimum wage. There's no such thing as "A job is a job". You get what you pay for, and Target is ain't paying for ************.

I'm sorry you feel insulted. I'm just confused as to why Target has created an environment where poor attendance isn't considered to be an issue. I haven't called out in years. Never had a reason. If I need a day off, I request it off. If I want a mental health day(s), I request it off. If it's too late to request it, I'll try to swap shifts. If I can't, I bite the bullet and work my shift. I just don't see what's so difficult about that.

I'm sorry you feel insulted. I'm just confused as to why Target has created an environment where poor attendance isn't considered to be an issue. I haven't called out in years. Never had a reason. If I need a day off, I request it off. If I want a mental health day(s), I request it off. If it's too late to request it, I'll try to swap shifts. If I can't, I bite the bullet and work my shift. I just don't see what's so difficult about that.

This ^
It's called "being a responsible adult" - something in short supply these days.

Yup, we have a "Christie Crisis" who calls out a couple times a month for a family death (must be an orphan by now), medical emergency (hypochondriac), transportation issue (doesn't drive, relies on others), fill-in-the-blank. Some of us have a pool running as to when she'll next call out.

I think there's one of these almost everywhere. We have a tech like this. In fact, I worked for her yesterday when she went to HR on her break and they sent her to the dr. She "miraculously" was able to come back afterwards and finish MY shift and was somewhat cheery. Did she even THANK me for staying for her? Of course not...

The whole situation kinda made me mad because the pharmacist tried to call someone else in rather than simply asking me to stay. She had to eat some crow when she told the other tech later on "good job with this sig code" on a prescription and the other tech told her that I was the one who typed it! She really underestimates me sometimes ;)

I know this post is from a loooong time ago, but I just re read the thread again and I must say I'm horrified your store considers you "Hi-Po". The attitude you've shown on this thread has got to be obvious to your store unless you are an excellent actor. Do yourself and Target a favor, if your hi-po status every results in a promotional opportunity, don't take it. Your good job pays almost 6x your Target job? So, like...$40-50? Really? Ok. I believe you.

I know this post is from a loooong time ago, but I just re read the thread again and I must say I'm horrified your store considers you "Hi-Po". The attitude you've shown on this thread has got to be obvious to your store unless you are an excellent actor. Do yourself and Target a favor, if your hi-po status every results in a promotional opportunity, don't take it. Your good job pays almost 6x your Target job? So, like...$40-50? Really? Ok. I believe you.

While logging in to look at some retail comic (freaking love it) I noticed this gem of a post.

I'm a great actor thank you very much, I'm charismatic as well. I can feed any line of BS to management and make them believe it. Point being I make them think I buy into all the corporate nonsense to move ahead while realistically It's all crap. That's what you have to do to move ahead. That being said...

I left Target a month or two ago. I was offered another position and took it. I was Hi-po because on top of my acting skills I got the job done, every night, and I motivated others to work hard. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Do you honestly think hard work alone is enough to move up? Look around you, look at your ETL team. Some people work hard, but that's only part of why they advanced. They either knew the right people, or they bull************ted well enough to get a promotion. That's the way it is, so I play the game.

Either way, yes I was making 50 an hour at my primary job. I did have specific reasons for working at Target, and a few goals that I was trying to reach within the company, however I'd be lying to you if I said that Target could ever pay me as much as I'm capable of making. Not even an STL gets paid what I do now, and I actually get weekends off, and it's a 40 hour work week most of the time.

So yeah, I guess you got your wish about me not taking a promotion to Sr TL. I sure will miss all the stress I had to deal with there... oh wait. No I won't. :dance4:

Come to my store! You can be the worst team member ever, call out as much as you want, and you still wont get fired! :facepalm:

Reminds me of a TM at my store who calls out at least a couple times a month.(not because of illness or caring for a family member or anything like that) I don't understand how some TMs can get away with it and other TMs including me would be on corrective action or terminated if we called out as much as that TM. It really goes to show there is favoritism in the company.

Back