I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

You would think they would! I have heard they change the posted schedule. I'm going to start photo copyint my schedule in addition to monitoring it online. It's a shame, we shouldn't have to do all that. A simple '' hey, can you work this day'' or like you said a note by the time clock stating changes were made would be sufficient.

At our store, we just have to adopt a CYA attitude. Most TMs take pix of the schedule with their phones as well as the print date at the bottom corner. Many of us simply recheck our schedule each day we come in.
Those who don't are the ones getting called - for now.
It can easily be used to get rid of problem TMs.

How many days can you call out before you get disciplined? I am a fairly new TM since Feb and I've called out about four times and have a doctors note for one.

4 times in under 2 months? that is a big no no at target. they don't care if you are dying, they want you too work. WE ARE SLAVES!!!

I was surprised how often you could call out and Target really not write you up for it. As long as it wasnt every weekend my store lets people get away with 1 or 2 call outs a month!

It can vary, but trust me when you call off, leadership isn't happy about it. That means more workload for Team members.

Biggest thing is don't make it habitual. I have some team members who call out, with occasional issues, sick or personal; then I have a couple of team members who call out weekly or every other week and usually same day, they are now on finals.

You have to work the your scheduled shift before, the day of, and the day after in order to get time and a half....

No. You have to work the day of. That's all.

Yes. STLinMaking is more than likely talking about how TLs and above get paid for holidays they might not even work, as long as they follow the rules.

Even that, though, has no such requirement. I've taken a week off with a paid holiday in the middle, and I got my Holiday pay for it just like normal. There is no "you have to work before and after it to get your pay" condition on the paid holidays benefit. (Well, it's possible they've added it in the year since I left, but in a million years I couldn't imagine them doing so. It just wouldn't make any sense.)

Even that, though, has no such requirement. I've taken a week off with a paid holiday in the middle, and I got my Holiday pay for it just like normal. There is no "you have to work before and after it to get your pay" condition on the paid holidays benefit. (Well, it's possible they've added it in the year since I left, but in a million years I couldn't imagine them doing so. It just wouldn't make any sense.)

I wouldn't be surprised. That's how it was at my last job. You had to work both days to get paid for the holiday and they didn't offer time-and-a-half if you did work the holiday.

You have to work your SCHEDULED day before and SCHEDULED day after. Prevents those who will call off to get a long holiday.

Exactly, that's the way my current employer does it. So even if it's Memorial Day and your scheduled shift before is Thursday and your shift following Memorial Day is Wednesday, you have to work those shifts to be compensated. The rule exists to ensure TLs and above do not skip out on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Tuesday shift, though. I have a M-F job and if the rule didn't exist it'd be very easy for someone to take Friday or Tuesday to take an extended 4 day vacation.

Hey guys
I have a question... I have NEVER had a NCNS ever. This is my first time with a NCNS. Not only that but last week, i thought i worked at 130, showed up at 1230, but was supposed to work at 1130. i called at 130 because my parents said "I thought you work at 1130" i called in and they confirmed 11am. A few days later, my mom got into a heated argument with my brother about something. idk. but anyways, my mom complained about having serious chest pain. I take her to the doctor. she tells me to just head to work but that made me late 10 minutes. This was in ONE week too! I'm already angry at this point. Then, i read the schedule for the WRONG week and I was supposed to show up today at 9am to 530. NO. I thought I was supposed to work at 245 (this was for week 6-09 NOT this week!). I heard something about correctional action. will I get fired? Will I just get counseling first? what's going to happen?

I'm super stressed about this. I cannot believe this is happening. Sigh.

wrong category to put this under, hey mods, we need to move this thread.

also, i would change your user name...it sounds like you work at store #0770.

Show up for your next shift on time. In the stores I've worked at, attendance issues that are clustered together are less of a problem than ongoing attendance issues throughout the year. If they ask you about your attendance I would let them know what was going on and that you had the wrong schedule. Don't really try to justify your NCNS. You looked at the wrong schedule, it was a mistake on your part, own up to it with them. You'll probably have a conversation with your ETL, but if your attendance has been great up until now I wouldn't expect much more than a coaching. Just show up for your shifts on time from here on out and you should be good.

If you have had consistent attendance in the past most likely you just need to have a "its been a tough week" talk with you Leaders. We are all human and they will understand. The previous poster is right. When it comes to attendance issues leaders look for consistent cycles over a long period of time.

Well it depends on the store. My store recently got a new STL. My district put in place a project for the district where EVERY SINGLE aspect of the store is done "by best practice".

Now I am not sure if this is best practice or not, but my new STL put in place a new set of rules for attendance. You get written up for No Call No Shows, being late and for calling out. I am sure this has something to do with my STL's other rule; No calling in people to replace people who NCNS or called out. A co worker told me today that our TL was forced to "talk" to him about him calling out a few weeks ago when he was actually sick. The TL told him that the rule isnt fair. She suggested coming in sick to avoid being written up and so that they can force you leave.

I know that some people are always late and called on a daily basis but that does not mean the store as whole should be punished.

What a little tinpot dictator you've got going there.
To suggest that someone has to come in sick so they can avoid getting written up is obscene.
I'm sorry but that can't be best practice.
What a great way to get people pissed off enough to organize.

Well it depends on the store. My store recently got a new STL. My district put in place a project for the district where EVERY SINGLE aspect of the store is done "by best practice".

Now I am not sure if this is best practice or not, but my new STL put in place a new set of rules for attendance. You get written up for No Call No Shows, being late and for calling out. I am sure this has something to do with my STL's other rule; No calling in people to replace people who NCNS or called out. A co worker told me today that our TL was forced to "talk" to him about him calling out a few weeks ago when he was actually sick. The TL told him that the rule isnt fair. She suggested coming in sick to avoid being written up and so that they can force you leave.

I know that some people are always late and called on a daily basis but that does not mean the store as whole should be punished.

What a little tinpot dictator you've got going there.
To suggest that someone has to come in sick so they can avoid getting written up is obscene.
I'm sorry but that can't be best practice.
What a great way to get people pissed off enough to organize.

Its not best practice to do a counseling for anyones attendance UNLESS they have been coached on it a few times. Even then you cant coach for each and every missed shift supposed to be only for consecutive or a pattern on missing. NCNS is an immediate counseling since that falls under conduct according to Target. That one depends on your HR, occasionally I will reclassify some of my teams NCNS to called in to prevent the write up. But they know if it happens again they will be counseled.

Hey i've been at target a month and I was wondering who do I talk to to call in, I have to get an ingrown toe nail removed on sunday and yea thats basically my question.

When you call your store just ask to speak to the LOD. It's more professional if you tell your direct leaders ahead of time and they can try to plan ahead.

Back