Archived The End is Nigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not nigh, but on the horizon. Ensuring a slow, arduous, and painful end.

Kmart will be defunct before the end of Target is near.
I just assumed all the Kmarts finished closing this year. We use to have 3 in the area. Lost the first one about 4 or 5 years ago. The last two closed within the last year. Sears surprisingly hasn't shut down yet here.

I just assumed all the Kmarts finished closing this year. We use to have 3 in the area. Lost the first one about 4 or 5 years ago. The last two closed within the last year. Sears surprisingly hasn't shut down yet here.
surprisingly there are still two within a 10 mile radius from me, thinking of going into one for nostalgia purposes

I generally agree with the article. In the early 2000s the company really lost its identity. Leadership changes (losing Bob) really changed the company. It began cutting resources at the store level drastically while retaining the overly political top portions. We had (and still somewhat to this day) problems with a leadership team that was disconnected and unaware of the status of its stores.

I also agree Brian is doing a great job fighting this battle to get us back on track, but its one that will probably not be won in the long-term. Then again, the retail environment is so erratic that it is difficult to make any predictions about what 2040 will look like.

I also agree Brian is doing a great job fighting this battle to get us back on track

Reshuffling the decks of the Titanic.

I appreciate Brian is trying to make changes but a lot of the changes are what you would expect from an out of touch corporate suit.

If he wanted real change he would get with a boot on the ground. Not necessarily a team member but most team leads (unlike etls) arent afraid to speak up about whats going wrong. I'll speak for my group, our gvp talks like someone who has never been in a store. Hotel lobby? Gtfo you work for target not the hiltons.

It's cute they use former stls as dtls but above that it's a whole lot of out of touch

I have seen some questionable hires at Target. There was an etl-ge whose only experience was from the banking field
Also, there was a stl who came from Sears with no knowledge of the Target culture. Both of them didn't last long.

I have seen some questionable hires at Target. There was an etl-ge whose only experience was from the banking field
Also, there was a stl who came from Sears with no knowledge of the Target culture. Both of them didn't last long.

Lol you are lucky your etl ge came from banking, many etls are hired without any experience whatsoever. They want people they can train and mold that is not news.

I agree with you on hiring people who don't get target culture. I believe that's why so many VMTLs fail

I am in the midst of watching Target throw at least $500,000 dollars at my store for two Remodels, as well as many others,

I was worried when last year Target Abruptly stopped Home innovation remodels out of the blue.

I feel as though Target is due to cut back on its lowest volume stores, that are the real problem with the company. However, I think that its a safe bet that its highest volume stores are in no danger.

Unless all of us employees say fuck it.

Reshuffling the decks of the Titanic.

I appreciate Brian is trying to make changes but a lot of the changes are what you would expect from an out of touch corporate suit.

If he wanted real change he would get with a boot on the ground. Not necessarily a team member but most team leads (unlike etls) arent afraid to speak up about whats going wrong. I'll speak for my group, our gvp talks like someone who has never been in a store. Hotel lobby? Gtfo you work for target not the hiltons.

It's cute they use former stls as dtls but above that it's a whole lot of out of touch

Believe it or not, Cornell has actually had chat sessions with store leadership. When he was new, he came to my district (no where near Minnesota). One issue from that chat session actually caused change within the company that allowed us to perform our jobs much more effectively.

Believe it or not, Cornell has actually had chat sessions with store leadership. When he was new, he came to my district (no where near Minnesota). One issue from that chat session actually caused change within the company that allowed us to perform our jobs much more effectively.

What was the issue, and solution? Sorry to pry, but anyone could say this,.

I feel as though Target is due to cut back on its lowest volume stores, that are the real problem with the company. However, I think that its a safe bet that its highest volume stores are in no danger.

The error in this thinking is assuming that higher volume means more profitable.

Higher volume stores have more sales but they also cost a lot more to run.

The highest volume store in my group is actually comping down from last year. They are downtown and have to compete with a lot of other big box retailers. The stores comping up are the lower volume stores in small towns that are growing.

I know they closed some stores in California and have recently opened some smaller express format stores in SoCal. So no, lower volume doesn't necessarily mean first to go.

The error in this thinking is assuming that higher volume means more profitable.

The highest volume store in my group is actually comping down from last year. They are downtown and have to compete with a lot of other big box retailers. The stores comping up are the lower volume stores in small towns that are growing.

I know they closed some stores in California and have recently opened some smaller express format stores in SoCal. So no, lower volume doesn't necessarily mean first to go.

This is very true, my ignorance comes from being in a minor crossroads city, and being the only target within 60 miles. Mine which is heavy volume, (which i inherently group together) i feel is very safe, especially since it is in the process of a population boom, (mostly student populated, but literally 5+ thousand a year)

Cornell is a moron. He has a chance to change the culture, but ignores it. I can understand logistics taking up most of his time, but if your company's leadership is (often) a disaster, it won't matter.

What was the issue, and solution? Sorry to pry, but anyone could say this,.
Forget the store leadership as they will sugar coat things to cover their asses. Non-working/not enough equipment is a prime example and still is a problem. What is so wrong in asking the boots on the ground?

This is true. We're a low volume, but our comps run between 6-12% annually. We do pretty well for our volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back