Logistics The Flow/Inbound thread: Until We Yeet Again edition 🤙

Well guys wish us luck were having the district people coming to have a huddle about the new processe this week and we short 80 vehicles and have rolled over the last 2 trucks and have about 4 pallets of softline repacks so this well be a interesting huddle to say the least
Sounds like payroll will suddenly start falling from the sky right before they arrive!

Next Tuesday we're switching over to some idiotic sounding unload setup where combo repacks are broken out under the line as the unload is happening, and most of the hardlines repacks are pushed with the case stock in each block instead of separated out. Additionally the start times of flow TMs will be staggered so that some come in at 6, some at 7 and some at 9. Our STL/ETLs have been talking about it in an email group with ETLs at other stores in the district who have been praising this process to the skies and how it has increased their efficiency by 10,000%. However,

- the other stores have a surplus of vehicles for their unload and đź‘Ź WE đź‘Ź DO đź‘Ź NOT đź‘Ź HAVE đź‘Ź ENOUGH đź‘Ź

- at least one of the other stores has a mysterious surplus of payroll because their STL was college roommates with the DTL and đź‘Ź WE đź‘Ź DO đź‘Ź NOT đź‘Ź HAVE đź‘Ź AS đź‘Ź MUCH đź‘Ź

- the other stores have enormous, gargantuan backrooms that are big enough to park a fleet of B-52s in and đź‘Ź OUR đź‘Ź BACKROOM đź‘Ź HAS đź‘Ź ONE đź‘Ź MILLIONTH đź‘Ź OF đź‘Ź THE đź‘Ź SPACE đź‘Ź

-any major changes to flow must be reviewed by me prior to implementation, and as this proposal was not submitted to me for approval it is therefore invalid. Checkmate, atheists.

You guys haven't started that yet? Count yourself lucky. I am, er was, the repack sorter for my store. I also happen to be on the back of the line. My store was told 3 on the front for priority 1, two on the back for priority 2, one throwing and one pushing. 7 total on the truck.
This leaves almost NOTHING to do on the back of the line most of the time. I have walked out and just started working freight on multiple occasions because otherwise I am just standing there. When vehicles weren't so limited (before we actually switched to Uboats for everything) I would do the repacks on the line.
Combos underneath works well enough. Just be smart and grab and bring a cart back to the line to toss checklane items in (I always sort anything with checklane locations, mainly candy, separate from grocery so that cashiers have something to do during dead periods, not sure if all stores do).
The 4s do not work. My store has kitchen as the entire left side run. So you will be walking from the front to the back of the store constantly even with trying to be as efficient as possible. What I have taken to doing during the unload, when I actually had a spare uboat (currently do not so I dont even bother), is i had a uboat with repacks already set up on it and I would open and sort them real quick. One for utensils, one for coffee items, one for drink ware, one for H&H, one for ceramics, and then of course on for pets and HIPA as well. Worked much better and allowed pets and HIPA to be truly completely worked rather than left half done until Domestics was worked and then the remaining pet and HIPA items brought back.
3's domt have a great solution. The mandate of working directly off a flat is shit. Maybe if the promise that DCs would be able to sort them better happened then it could have worked. But as we all know it only got worse. At this point we have just moved on to saying screw it and sorting then back into repacks before bringing to the floor. I used to sort nearly by aisle when we used carts, now I just group items into 25% sections of the bed/bath run. I also tried doing 3s during the unload but the issue for me is there is no good place to put them when sorted.
And dont even get me started on poor electronics TMs. Working their repacks is a nightmare now. I told my TL that when the vehicles come we should dedicate one TM to sorting on the back of the line and then just helping the second TM when priority 2 freight gets heavy. We are supposed to receive our vehicles sometime next week so we will see.

We had are visit today and nothing was clean up like normal visits so everything was a mess and we were out of vehicles and had to use some pallets and a little bowling for Halloween stuff and we didnt start are unload untill 5:45 and we start at 4am because we had to push the vehicles from yesterday 1st and apparently the DTL said were the best store in the district and have the fastest unload times we unload a 2500 in 4hrs with 5 tm and all other stores take at least 8hrs for the same size trucks and some cant even finish there unload in a day.

I've been doing the combo repacks for about a week (the lady who usually does them is out on bereavement). It's... a thing. But I did pretty much nothing but repacks, every night, for like ten years, so maybe it's easier for me, I don't mind doing it at all.
I use a 3-tier for the market stuff that comes in those repacks, then just park it on the line after so they can grab it easily. Other TMs who aren't me put it in a repack under the line with the rest of the stuff, but that's a bad idea because ten thousand little packs of gum and ten thousand glass jars of spices gets real heavy, real quick.

Our softlines comes in at 6:30, which is stupid because we get more softlines than anything else, I don't know why they did that. But we also have that mysterious payroll surplus you mentioned so we've been letting our softlines start with the rest of the unload this week.

*repastes from other thread*
We just got our new u-boats yesterday and today (there were u-boats everywhere when I left, all in the fire tunnel and clogging the back room) so I'm hoping the actual pushing part will go smoother now that we don't have to try and work off a bunch of giant flats that don't want to turn.

unfriended: making me break out repacks under the line during the unload
splendid: making someone else break out repacks in softlines during the unload
ascended: palletizing the repacks during the unload and scheduling me 40 every week to break them out 10pm-6:30am while the store is closed

second tm for the softlines breakout isn't on the schedule at all next week, nobody is scheduled for the Thursday (todays) truck at all, management is going to serve me 3 pallets of sl purge on top of 2 trucks because why not. sprinkle multiple pallets of water and Christmas transition in my area because i need to ~build character through challenges~ and waste time moving them. once all my resources (metros, space, time, and fucks) are depleted, stl will teleport to my location to troll me by asking why i don't smile more, it's so much better when i do.

F O R T Y H O U R S

I was right, the fancy u-boats did make pushing a lot easier. However, having heavy black repacks full of notebooks and planners on the top tier (basically above my head because I am short) is kind of a pisser.

Why has dollar Bullseye's Playground junk started coming in the stationery repacks? I want to throttle whoever's decision that was.

Bullseye has been the heaviest section of our past 4 trucks. They moved the backstok from there out of our backroom and into a closet near the front end a while ago, so now there are a ton of vehicles in front of half of our checklanes full of one spot overflow and backstock that just lives there until there is a place to put it. Its been a huge mess, and yeah our repacks also have been combined with stationary which creates a lot of games of the person pushing stationary will open them, see one thing that goes in Bullseye, and just give them the whole repack, and the person pushing bullseye will see one thing in stationary and just give them the whole repack until the ETL gets pissy and makes someone sort them.

We’re literally getting an amount of Bullseye that you’d expect at an AAA+ volume store but we’re nowhere near that. Shitloads of shrinkwrapped pallets of the shit for days. Not even exaggerating I think there are at least double the # of DPCIs that Halloween and Fall mini seasonal got. For the love of gawd make it stop!!

The DCs seem to be extra derpy lately

My ETL was like, "they're supposed to be getting better about sorting them!" I gave him a Super Stink Eye and was like mmhmm, I'll believe that when I see it.
But apparently the playground stuff is like, supposed to be coming with the stationery. It used to come with softlines, which I suppose made even less sense.

Is anyone else getting a ridiculous amount of Bullseye's Playground? We have been getting so much, have already filled every available spot, we finally gave up pushing it and just add it to the 4 or 5 pallets we have taking up space in our backroom

Not as much anymore, but for a while (like, couple weeks back) we were. I'm so glad they knocked that crap off. We had so many pallets of it just hanging out in the steel. I dunno where they put all of it, surely it didn't all go out...

this Saturday I’m going to ask with complete seriousness if some of it can be swept back. We will literally never sell what we’ve got and most Bullseye seems to sell fairly well. There’s one DPCI in particular in an enormous casepack that’s as big as the biggest cases of pillows..........and we have four (4) wrapped pallets of them. What the fuck is this?

this Saturday I’m going to ask with complete seriousness if some of it can be swept back. We will literally never sell what we’ve got and most Bullseye seems to sell fairly well. There’s one DPCI in particular in an enormous casepack that’s as big as the biggest cases of pillows..........and we have four (4) wrapped pallets of them. What the fuck is this?

their response is going to be adding a second truck of exclusively one spot, sorry

Sorry everyone seems to be having such a tough time...
I work the unload, which is 6 to 8, maybe 830 for us with 4 people on the line, 1 thrower. Trucks typically between 1900 and 2200. I cover 17 custom blocks (24 vehicles and the electronics cage) on the back side of the line, plus 4 and 9 repacks. I also sort the combos under the line, which has worked out very well for me. I typically sort them by aisle, almost. Ie Barbie together, LEGOs together, preschool toys together, camping together, yoga together, etc.

My flats and uboats all have the boxes sorted by aisle, with either their own shelves for an aisle for uboats or the numbers on the aisles sorted front to back for flats. I further sort them so that they can be pushed from one end of an aisle to the other without walking up and down an aisle. It makes it so easy for everyone to push.

Our backroom is just as clean as it was before this new process, and since flow is being incorporated into dayside, I've been getting 40 hours a week so I can do other things in my area. I get to zone, audit, price change, do go backs, along with the truck push and autos. It works really well for me at least. The only problem we have now us that the previously overnight team is mostly disgruntled about the increase in responsibility I guess? Half my team whines about having to do more things, even thought they are given the time... they all think it is less efficient, but our store looks significantly better.

I work the unload, which is 6 to 8, maybe 830 for us with 4 people on the line, 1 thrower. Trucks typically between 1900 and 2200. I cover 17 custom blocks (24 vehicles and the electronics cage) on the back side of the line, plus 4 and 9 repacks. I also sort the combos under the line, which has worked out very well for me. I typically sort them by aisle, almost. Ie Barbie together, LEGOs together, preschool toys together, camping together, yoga together, etc.

My flats and uboats all have the boxes sorted by aisle, with either their own shelves for an aisle for uboats or the numbers on the aisles sorted front to back for flats. I further sort them so that they can be pushed from one end of an aisle to the other without walking up and down an aisle. It makes it so easy for everyone to push.

Our backroom is just as clean as it was before this new process, and since flow is being incorporated into dayside, I've been getting 40 hours a week so I can do other things in my area. I get to zone, audit, price change, do go backs, along with the truck push and autos. It works really well for me at least. The only problem we have now us that the previously overnight team is mostly disgruntled about the increase in responsibility I guess? Half my team whines about having to do more things, even thought they are given the time... they all think it is less efficient, but our store looks significantly better.

Do you just have a really large flow team right now because we have been working 40hr weeks just working truck and still barley come clean by 12:30pm
Right now were pushing are stuff plus beauty now because according to the store there team is struggling so its are problem again. We were told that dayside well help push left over truck push if we zone every section were pushing in to help them but of course every time there's left over push from the truck when i go home. I guarantee it well be there when i get in the next morning in addition to all the salvage and bales.
Even worse is i have to move all that stuff out of receiving and then go scavenge the store for U-boats (that dayside thinks is faregame) so i can set the line up

So with all uboats its easier to sort the truck? Are you doing a push all? It almost sounds like your store is too good to be true. Especially if everyone is getting 40 hours? Payroll is crap Right now

Yes, it's much easier to sort with uboats, because each one ends up just being for a small group of aisles. As long as your custom blocks are well thought out, it works surprisingly well.

You have good management.

How are you guys able to make it with one thrower? Throwing is easily the most physically strenuous task in the whole store, and throwing by yourself for 2+ hours can really do a number on your body even if you’re in good shape. I would collapse after about 45 minutes because I’m a bitch, but even our 6ft 280lb. thrower has called out with back pain after a callout by the other thrower left him by himself with a 2400. ETL-Log refuses to work with less than 2 throwers because he’s concerned about the risk of injury or burnout.

How are you guys able to make it with one thrower? Throwing is easily the most physically strenuous task in the whole store, and throwing by yourself for 2+ hours can really do a number on your body even if you’re in good shape. I would collapse after about 45 minutes because I’m a bitch, but even our 6ft 280lb. thrower has called out with back pain after a callout by the other thrower left him by himself with a 2400. ETL-Log refuses to work with less than 2 throwers because he’s concerned about the risk of injury or burnout.
We have 1 guy on are team that throws and take pallets out of the truck and pushes the line by himself and stays in the truck on his own for the entire unload and once threw a double on his own and after the truck he walks out and immediately starts pushing vehicles like it was nothing and he does this 6days a week every week. Im not sure how he even manages this because on days we have 7 days of trucks and hes not there it takes 4 throwers rotating in the truck to even remotely match his speed.
And this is with the new processe so hes in there for up to 6hrs at a time

Back