Archived The Official 9PM Black Friday Rage Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummmm. Does anyone think this is actually going to do anything??? Just curious

Nope, but its not like it took much effort to sign it either... Maybe it sends a message, maybe not. The fact that it has gone from 118,000 to 122,000 in less than 20 minutes is pretty promising though...

Your rage. Post it.

Personally, I am furious about the greed that makes us open earlier every year. That's what all this really is. Greed. Corporate greed. Consumer greed. They simply feed on each other. A part of me is ashamed to even be a part of it.

I honestly have to wonder WTF is prompting this. We had black friday for over 10+ years and it was the same open time every year.... Then all of a sudden the past 3-4 years they started this "let's roll back the time" BS. I thought it was bad when they first started doing it. Sorry you guys are having to deal with this crazyness, which seems completely pointless now. Hell, why even close the store at all anymore?

We all work in retail and we all knew that working on Black Friday was mandatory.
I really don't know of any household/family/anything that has their dinner at 9pm on Thanksgiving, so it's not as if this is cutting it short. Sure, it's interrupting time I could be spending with my family but we work in retail and that is curse of working in retail.

I'm just glad I open and get that extra three hours of shift differential and time and a half and work for a 8 hour shift and can sleep peacefully in the arms of my fiancee when he gets home from his unfortunate shift at a retail store.

How is it not cutting it short?

Let's say you are a sales floor TM that has to be at work at 9PM. You are not a flow TM, so you never really work past 11PM at the latest.

Now, because you have to be at work at 9PM, your hours are completely screwed. You are used to being in bed by 12AM.... not working the sales floor from 9PM to 5AM.

The only way to suddenly work a shift like that means going to bed at around 2PM or 3PM thanksgiving day. That means, while your family is actually *having* thanksgiving at some point after 2PM (who has thanksgiving that early?) you are in bed sleeping so you can work your 9PM to 5AM shift.

It completely ruins thanksgiving.

It used to be we would open at 6AM or 5AM.... That way you could do thanksgiving, be in bed by 10PM, and still work your shift without blowing the whole holiday. Anyone who has to come in at 9PM is basically screwed.

Also - not all TMs are young. For a young person to do something crazy, like go in with 2 hours sleep, they can pull it off. For older TMs who are 40+ years old? They would pass out on the drive to the store. They will have no choice but to go to bed at 2 or 3PM.

Last edited:
Ehh, if I wanted holidays off I wouldn't have gotten a job in retail.
Going to have to cut my dinner short, but not sweating it. Lucky and blessed to have a job atleast while there are PLENTY of people who would GLADLY come in on Thanksgiving at 9pm or later and get a paycheck.

I've been with Target long enough to realize these things. Either deal with it or get out of retail, no sense in complaining because quite frankly, you won't be getting anywhere with that.

Some people don't have a choice but to work retail. For people without degrees, or in an area with bad unemployment, retail is pretty much the only option.

The best part of all? All the people working at HQ probably have the day before thanksgiving, the day of, and the day after off work. 3 day holiday for them.

My only,only gripe is I hope it won't be like last year where everyone rushes in and sigh it's dead by say 12 am. I meant like last year everyone rushes in at 12 am and dead by 2 am this year everyone rushes in at 9 and dead by 12 am. Dead silence......... Sales Floor people playing because they have nothing to do because they sent cashiers to do things because the front lanes are not busy and everyone is laughing and having playtime and I am thinking wow I could be sleeping. I doing as much reshop as I possibly can but it's still dead silence..... I do not want a repeat of that! Hopefully it will be busy and steady and no dead silence!

If I come in at 5 and cashiers are playing monopoly.........

My only,only gripe is I hope it won't be like last year where everyone rushes in and sigh it's dead by say 12 am. I meant like last year everyone rushes in at 12 am and dead by 2 am this year everyone rushes in at 9 and dead by 12 am. Dead silence......... Sales Floor people playing because they have nothing to do because they sent cashiers to do things because the front lanes are not busy and everyone is laughing and having playtime and I am thinking wow I could be sleeping. I doing as much reshop as I possibly can but it's still dead silence..... I do not want a repeat of that! Hopefully it will be busy and steady and no dead silence!

I think you will be out of luck. What we saw last year was an addition or more hours thus lots more payroll and sales that were pretty much the same as opening at 4AM. I see no reason why that would be different this year. And with so much payroll used and no real gain in sales you will see HQ slashing hours later. I will not be shopping anywhere in Thanksgiving or BF. Freedom is good thing.

Our local news channel was reporting that Black Friday 2013 will be held on Valentines Day.....don't give them any ideas.....

i was hanging out with vets in dc, all weekend. limited access.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't criticizing you rather I was criticizing Target for playing their games of announcing it to 350,000+ employees then expecting that their Monday press release would be the first the news media has heard of Target's opening time.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't criticizing you rather I was criticizing Target for playing their games of announcing it to 350,000+ employees then expecting that their Monday press release would be the first the news media has heard of Target's opening time.

thats ok. my family was surprised too.

Some people don't have a choice but to work retail. For people without degrees, or in an area with bad unemployment, retail is pretty much the only option.

And you can add to that people over a certain age. I've found that the older I've gotten retail is the only thing hiring.

I signed the petition just like I did last year, pretty much knowing it's a meaningless gesture
But like there is some satisfaction in knowing that Spot will have to look at that list of names when Change.org drops it on their doorstop.
Every name represents a person disgusted with Spots choice to choose a few bucks over their people, to desperately ape other retailers rather than create their own path.
Rather than make a place for themselves as a business that truly cares for it employees they just give lip service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back