I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Most workers will work harder when encouraged or praised for their work. Just be very upbeat and positive with the team, and always say Please and Thank you. Someone got a REDCard? Head over to their lane and give them a high five (avoid asking for more!).

Sometimes to encourage younger cashiers to get REDCards (they always wanted to zone, not cashier), I would tell them that if they could get a REDCard by xx:xx PM that they could help zone that evening. That really motivated them :)

But yeah its depressing because its getting really out of control with the amount of REDCard volume that they expect...

But most important of all... Be sure to convey yourself as GENUINE, and NOT FAKE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benefits Benefits Benefits.

5% discount on purchases
Target matches 1% of the purchases and donates it to schools of your choice
Pharmacy Reward discounts
Extended return periods
Free shipping from Target.com
Make payments (for CCs) at Target
Links to your checking account (for DC)
Cash Back options
PIN Number security

Remind guests that its more economical to use the RedCard, and not air mile CCs.
Give guests a second reminder on applying on big/bulky purchases.

I have had fellow TMs basically hold guests merchandise hostage until they applied. They would not let them leave without them applying.

Hostages? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Most workers will work harder when encouraged or praised for their work. Just be very upbeat and positive with the team, and always say Please and Thank you. Someone got a REDCard? Head over to their lane and give them a high five (avoid asking for more!).

Sometimes to encourage younger cashiers to get REDCards (they always wanted to zone, not cashier), I would tell them that if they could get a REDCard by xx:xx PM that they could help zone that evening. That really motivated them :)

But yeah its depressing because its getting really out of control with the amount of REDCard volume that they expect...

But most important of all... Be sure to convey yourself as GENUINE, and NOT FAKE.

All good advice - I find myself in a tough situation because in the past my store used to give a lot of prizes for getting them and now they do none of that.

I knew one Elec TM that highly pressured guests into applying. He would start a transaction with "Are you using your Target Red Card today?" If no, he would go into lengthy conversations about all the benefits. Then if the guest still didn't want it, he would keep reminding them of the discounts. Only then when they said Yes would he start ringing up the transaction. He ended up getting another job at a user car lot. lol!

Yes he got the most Red Cards out of all the store for months. But he also got the most complaints from guests saying he was very pushy about the Red Card.

last month I was on fire with red cards. getting three or four sometimes even five per shift as cashier. to this day I believe that it was because of that alone that I was named Great Team hero for May. however lately ive been on the downswing with them only getting one or two a shift. and some of the srtl's and ETLS are down my tailpipe because of it. its seriously starting to piss me off. I ask every guest but I refuse to hound and harass people its just not who I am. they think im not pushing hard enough when in reality im doing the exact same thing I have always done I just got lucky that's all. does anyone know if that could come back and bite me in the future or not?

Last edited:
good tip for Electronics associates: try to send as many sales up front as possible. So when you absolutely have to ring someone out, get the Redcard on those sales. I rarely ring video games or things that have any security systems on them, and my conversion rate hit 12.5% for the 6 months since Jan 1.

Red Cards are the #1 reason I refused to apply to be a cashier when I applied at Target. I worked at stores before with credit cards and knew I am one of those people that will ask like twice and then drop it so I don't harass people, I don't get a lot of people who will apply. Sorry I realize they are important but harassing the guest to the point where they won't come back causes loss of money as well.

My stepmom recently told me she went to a Target where she lives (nowhere near me) and the cashier harassed her the whole time to the point where my stepmom told her that if the girl asked one more time she was going to go find a manager and complain. She said she won't go to that Target again, but will go to a different one. (She was a TL back in the day, she still loves shopping at Target).

I have worked as a Cashier for almost a year and I still don't know what to do with this. I know to ask ever guest if they want a redcard, but when one says yes am I supposed to turn off the lane light to tell other gusets not to come to my lane or just say it's going to be a little while here and send them to another lane? Plus if someones already in line do I try and get the gstl/gsa to send them to another lane or do it myself?

At my store, we shut off the lane light, and try to find someone else to help the next guest in line (usually the GSA or GSTL). If people ask me if I'm open, I tell them it might be a minute or two but they are welcome to wait if they want. Most of the time, they do choose to wait instead of going somewhere where the line is actually moving. :p

Comes down to a judgment call sometimes. If that's your only guest in line, it's probably a good idea to shut your light off so that you don't get another guest coming to your lane because they think there's no wait. If you have more guests in line, are on backup, or have a guest with a cartload, you could probably just leave it on. Your GSTL should be speedweaving anyway when it's busy, and you might be able to flag them down while they're doing that to let them know you have a RED application. Of course, if you notice other lanes or guest service is empty, you can always politely direct the next guest to those areas, assuming they only have a handful of items.

Outside of training, I've never done a redcard app. At my old store we would just suspend the transaction and send them to guest service because our store was always soo busy. If guest service was packed as well one of the GSA would just go to an empty register and do them there.

We don't shut off lights at our store; it gives us another opportunity to drive the REDCard to the next guest. Apologize and say, "Hey, this guy's saving 5% by signing up for the REDCard - it only takes a minute or so." Of course, if you catch it during the early part of the check out, then it doesn't take any longer than a regular transaction. You can scan the items while the guest is applying.

Most of my guests don't make up their mind about the REDCard until the transaction is at the end, it seems. Sometimes I can get them started on it while I'm scanning, but not often. I've tried to get other cashiers to get people started while they are still scanning, but they won't, for whatever reason.

Most of my guests don't make up their mind about the REDCard until the transaction is at the end, it seems. Sometimes I can get them started on it while I'm scanning, but not often. I've tried to get other cashiers to get people started while they are still scanning, but they won't, for whatever reason.

I think people are afraid of asking at the start of the transaction is that they feel they may be being to pushy with it so if they wait till the end then they can kinda throw it at them and then let them decide. Something I want to do with our cashiers is help them understand that instead of getting them to sign up for the RedCard, sign them up for the benefits it provides. When you can start telling them about all the things it does and how it is going to benefit them rather than how they can get another card, I think cashiers will start to see a little more success!

Personally, I don't ask until the guest has unloaded the cart. Before that, they just aren't paying any attention at all.

Personally, I don't ask until the guest has unloaded the cart. Before that, they just aren't paying any attention at all.

If they are still unloading the cart they definitely aren't going to be paying attention but getting the information to them before they start pulling out money and cards. If they are just standing there waiting for me to finish ringing them up I am talking to them about the cards. FYI: Just got a red card today in electronics. Right after our morning huddle I helped a guest and got him set up with the red card =)

Back