I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Part of the problem with this concept of "taking advantage" of guests, is that they ARE adults: they make the decision to sign up for it. You don't force them. As long as you are not lying to them or misleading them, then there is no moral dilemma. Lots of Red Cards come from impulsive guests with bad credit who regularly sign up for retail store cards. If you want to get a lot of Red Cards, you've got to be willing to cash in on that. The guests' credit scores are not your responsibility. Make sure they know it's a payment card, tell them the benefits, and answer any questions they have, and that's all you have to do.
When you work around a huge group of older folks (think, 100k of them), you can see the ones that probably shouldn't be making their own financial decisions but no one has recognized it yet. Those are the folks I'm talking about - not the young ones being impulsive.

When the 86 year old guy reaches the point of providing income information and doesn't know it because his daughter handles everything in another state.... And you add in that he couldn't remember his phone number and some other stuff, you start to realize he isn't probably making the best decision.

i really think the number 1 thing to getting redcards is to not sound like you are selling something or pitching something. Sound genuine and like you actually are concerned about them saving money. Also, the starbucks tip is a good one. We have a lot of people stop in for starbucks at our store because they like that they don't have to tip so when you tell them they can save another 5% on top of that they are all over it!

When I see a full cart of back to school or back to college I say to them "I am sure you are saving 5% with your Redcard today right?" and if they say no I ask if they have one and go from there.

"Selling a REDcard" is all about engaging with yhe guests on a personal level and educating them on the benefits. Example: guest has diapers, bottles, formula, etc. "Hi there how are you?..... How old is your baby? Wow a 3 month old how precious! Are you saving 5% with your Redcard? You know we do have the debit option and it looks like you have a lot of diaper buying in your future! Just think of all the money you can be saving everytime you purchase something you need!"that usually gets the ball rolling. Or if a guest is looking for a particular item that is online only, you can say "well that's an option; just use your Redcard save 5% and it ships free!" Basically when the guest feels that you genuinely care about them saving money and not just trying to "sell" a Redcard is when it's going to happen.

"Selling a REDcard" is all about engaging with yhe guests on a personal level and educating them on the benefits. Example: guest has diapers, bottles, formula, etc. "Hi there how are you?..... How old is your baby? Wow a 3 month old how precious! Are you saving 5% with your Redcard? You know we do have the debit option and it looks like you have a lot of diaper buying in your future! Just think of all the money you can be saving everytime you purchase something you need!"that usually gets the ball rolling. Or if a guest is looking for a particular item that is online only, you can say "well that's an option; just use your Redcard save 5% and it ships free!" Basically when the guest feels that you genuinely care about them saving money and not just trying to "sell" a Redcard is when it's going to happen.

HOW DARE YOU ASSUME I BUY DIAPERS! I HAVE FAMILY HEIRLOOM CLOTH DIAPERS THAT I HAND WASH! WHERE'S YOUR MANAGER?!

I don't know whY, but I am unable to apply for the red card debit are some of these things why I can't?

1. 16 years old
2. Team member
3. Just made bank account that same day I applied. (probably this but I asked my banker and they said it was okay...)

They have a 27℅ APR.. If you don't make payments on time they will literally impale you

They have a 27℅ APR.. If you don't make payments on time they will literally impale you
I thought the debit card doesn't have an Apr
You're right, sorry, it won't help build any credit, if all you're looking for is a discount at work, that'll do it. I suggest credit and paying off the bill multiple times a month.. It can really build credit

You're right, sorry, it won't help build any credit, if all you're looking for is a discount at work, that'll do it. I suggest credit and paying off the bill multiple times a month.. It can really build credit

You need the printed checks from your bank that you probably ordered when you opened your account. In order for Spot to process the check, it has to have your info imprinted down on the micr line(that huge line of numbers on the bottom of a check). That tells the machines that read the check what bank and branch its from, the account number it pays from and a few other things.

Starter checks only have some of this information, why it didn't work.

I signed up for a redcard debit with a starter check, the ones that they gave me when I opened the account. I think it had the account and routing number on it....so it worked fine.

I've had my account for 8+ years and still haven't ordered a box of real checks....probably never will :p

I have seen it go through with starter checks and have also seen people come back into the store with a letter from target debit that says they have to pay in cash for that transaction. In the past I have taken a preprinted deposit slip as a check.. It worked a few times, then after an update on registers, it no longer worked that way.

I signed up for a redcard debit with a starter check, the ones that they gave me when I opened the account. I think it had the account and routing number on it....so it worked fine.

I've had my account for 8+ years and still haven't ordered a box of real checks....probably never will :p

I ordered my last ones about 5 years ago, only write one check a month.. Rent..

I think I was 16, almost 17 when I got my debit REDcard. My application needed further review, but I was approved quickly. My checks weren't starter checks and my checking account had been open for over a year.

Just had to order some new checks because I had to close and re-open an account due to an ownership change. I only needed one check and I had to order 500. I pay everything else electronically, even my tax estimates.

You must be at least 18 to open a credit card acct.
It's not the starter check; it's that the acct is too new. Give it a few months' activity & apply then.

Back