I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

My GSTL told me they're testing out a way to sign up for a Red Card with a regular debit/bank card in California/the west coast. Can anyone confirm/deny? If this is true I think conversion will go up because the most common excuse is "I don't carry checks" (and let's face it, very few people regularly carry checkbooks).

They ran this test a few years back and it was a miserable failure with all of the problems. I'd be surprised if they figured out a different way to do it.

And let's face it, if this did work, they would just bump up the conversion goals even higher.
you have any idea of the amount of people who don't carry checks use the debit card as their sole form of payment?

i dont see how this would work, especially with the "pin in chip" thing. I think that the reloadable Target RedCard is a betterand much less intimidating option for guests.... the only thing with that is when the guest loads a card with $1000 and just so happens to "lose their card." not sure im willing to vibe that much lmao

My GSTL told me they're testing out a way to sign up for a Red Card with a regular debit/bank card in California/the west coast. Can anyone confirm/deny? If this is true I think conversion will go up because the most common excuse is "I don't carry checks" (and let's face it, very few people regularly carry checkbooks).

They ran this test a few years back and it was a miserable failure with all of the problems. I'd be surprised if they figured out a different way to do it.

And let's face it, if this did work, they would just bump up the conversion goals even higher.
you have any idea of the amount of people who don't carry checks use the debit card as their sole form of payment?

A lot. But I'm not sure what you're driving at with that question.

How does this save target money? They are still having to bill that card. They cannot run it as a debit without the PIN number, and credit cost them more. Your bank card doesn't include your account info does it?!?!

How does this save target money? They are still having to bill that card. They cannot run it as a debit without the PIN number, and credit cost them more. Your bank card doesn't include your account info does it?!?!
No, which makes me confused as to how they would do it. They could save your PIN...but that might be illegal or at best against the terms they have with their payment processor. They could also demand that your debit redcard pin be the same as your debit card pin so when you run your redcard debit they can immediately get an authorization from your bank.

Ya you are right they did test it. I remember asking a GSTL once I said I just lost a Red Card app because they didn't have checks and they never carry checks and they think it's stupid ( basically they are team paperless) and I mentioned they should go by swiping the debit card and and the GSTL said they tried that once and it failed so ya I can't see how they'd do it again.

I believe that in order to use the debit card from the bank, Target would have to have access to the database that the bank uses. A rather high up person at a national bank told me that it would never happen because the banks don't want to share the debit business with Target. They would like to make it as difficult as possible for their customers to stop using the bank debit card.

They raised the goal for our district to 3.50 a few months ago. Now that Q4 is here it's a little easier to make that goal...before that we were consistently hitting between 2.5 and 3. We need about 14 cards a day to stay Green.

Prompts can really kill you some days. A few Saturdays ago we had 20 apps but were still Yellow because prompts were over 300...

3.5...I remember those days. Unfortunately last month our district went up to 4.5. It's so ridiculous, I'm to the point that I absolutely do not care, and just fake it at work.

I'm a farely new cashier and i've gotten 3 RedCards so far, 1 of the guests didn't buy anything while signing up. Wasn't I supposed to give the guest 5% off that day? I didn't give them their 5% off because I didn't know what to do and I kinda feel bad. What do I have to do to give them their 5% off right when they sign up? Is there something to scan on one of the receipts that come out or what? Please help!

tey dont need to buy anything when signing up for them. So no you didn't need to give them the 5% off thing. Thats for when they by things. So your in the clear,

After signing up you scan the temporally one. and it will automatically come off. Just like when people swipe the card.

I believe that in order to use the debit card from the bank, Target would have to have access to the database that the bank uses. A rather high up person at a national bank told me that it would never happen because the banks don't want to share the debit business with Target. They would like to make it as difficult as possible for their customers to stop using the bank debit card.
Yup, the bank gets a lot when you run those cards as credit, so they encourage that. They get a few pennies per transaction run as debit with a pin (regulations), so they try to discourage that. But with the debit redcard they get nothing because there are no transaction fees on ACH (that I know of). Your account/routing number aren't on your debit card, so again I don't know how target could set it up that way. I doubt it worked more than .01% of the time.

We had a woman get signed up for the wrong card by the cashier. She wanted the debit but got the credit instead, and was absolutely furious about it with the GSA, demanding that it be removed from her credit report. We gave her the # for Guest Relations but obviously there's nothing they can do either. She denied the four apology coupons we were going to give her, too. :(

How do you sign them up for a wrong card- the debit immediately asks for a check. Either the cashier was terribly trained or the guest did not make herself clear.
(On a related note, is there a way to cancel a Red Card application while it's in progress? Like if I accidentally pressed k3 instead of k1 or whatever).

How do you sign them up for a wrong card- the debit immediately asks for a check. Either the cashier was terribly trained or the guest did not make herself clear.
(On a related note, is there a way to cancel a Red Card application while it's in progress? Like if I accidentally pressed k3 instead of k1 or whatever).

I don't know what happened, and the GSA didn't really coach the cashier for it. The cashier is new but not that new, and should have known better.

Depending how far the guest is in the process, you may be able to hit "void" to void the application. Otherwise I start punching buttons until it will let me out of it.

I don't know what happened, and the GSA didn't really coach the cashier for it. The cashier is new but not that new, and should have known better.

The guest was stupid. The first screen clearly spells out what you are applying for: credit or debit. If the guest couldn't be bothered to read it, and the screen where they sign their life away, there is nothing to be done to help that stupidity.

The cashier may not have cleared up any confusion, but when the district and corporate are pushing so hard for REDcards, I don't blame the cashiers too much for pushing them through.

Anyone have tips on how to ask our guests about the Target RedCard?

I ask, but I feel it's the way I ask that makes them say "No" sometimes. :(

3.5...I remember those days. Unfortunately last month our district went up to 4.5. It's so ridiculous, I'm to the point that I absolutely do not care, and just fake it at work.

Damn that's crazy. At my store it's still just 3% to be green, though the higher the better of course. But as long as you're at 3% each week no one gets talked to.

Back