I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

What the fuck? That's one of the scenarios where we aren't supposed to push it. The minimum age for credit is 18 and it's 16 for the debit. Besides you'll just get this weird look from them.

Our leadership wants us asking everyone because then they figure the person behind the person we are asking might hear it, so then people will hear it twice.

But here's my problem. I stopped playing games like that years ago. If I want to tell someone something, then I tell them, not the person next to them. But this is what happens when you have young leadership who still thinks that is an effective way of communicating.

Well with the new way applications are scored, corporate now mandates every store ask every guest, whereas before the "official" stance was just when prompted (we all know that was thrown out the window years ago -- no store would ever make conversion just asking on prompts).

And it really is just getting worse. Last week we were 1 REDcard short of being green, and our DTL actually stopped by to lecture front-end leadership about it. Like I said earlier, I have no issue pushing the card. I understand it's my job. But if the big-wigs are going to scream at us every week we miss goal, I'm going to seriously reconsider my employment. 50 cents more an hour is NOT enough for that B.S.

Yes, it is explained as a core role of being a cashier at my store. I do the first interview. If they don't think they are capable of selling the REDCard, there is no second interview.

Well folks, a couple comments. Specifically to the above quote ... We do not sell red cards. And I believe the wording in the core role for cashiering is "educating the guest on the benefits of the red card and encouraging them to get it." It IS NOT a core role to get so many, no matter how you want to spin it.

But I get it, pushing children to sign up, having people make up SSN's, that is how you show commitment to the community.

Whatever. It's pathetic. But I guess it pays the bills. It's getting to the point where I feel ashamed to work there.

Well with the new way applications are scored, corporate now mandates every store ask every guest, whereas before the "official" stance was just when prompted (we all know that was thrown out the window years ago -- no store would ever make conversion just asking on prompts).

And it really is just getting worse. Last week we were 1 REDcard short of being green, and our DTL actually stopped by to lecture front-end leadership about it. Like I said earlier, I have no issue pushing the card. I understand it's my job. But if the big-wigs are going to scream at us every week we miss goal, I'm going to seriously reconsider my employment. 50 cents more an hour is NOT enough for that B.S.
ugh.. that really does suck. On my last day right before I leave for the final time I am going to give the ETL-GE a piece of my mind of what I think about how much they force us to shove it down peoples throats.... :D oh I cant wait!

Your etl-GE won't care. More likely, they will agree with you. But since they get it from the STL and DTL and GVP, there's nothing they can really do. And it'll go in one ear and it the other.

so even if the guest says no after you explain the benefits of the card, we still have to push it? what do I say, i know you said no, but CAN YOU PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sign up for one?

We should just stop accepting paper checks as payment. The check readers will only be used to process REDcard applications. And if you are paying by non-REDcard credit or debit card, the card reader shakes violently and makes you confirm that you do not want a REDcard at least 5 different times. Your card will also be logged into a database so that every time you swipe it, the shaking gets worse and worse until eventually all the readers in the store explode.

REDcards!!

Some people are good cashiers and poor salesman.
It's a shame we don't have a place for them anymore.

Agreed, especially since I'm one of them. I do well with customer service and bagging, but I'm not a salesperson at all. If I had explicitly known that my job performance would be mostly based off selling redcards I probably would have never taken this job.

Agreed, especially since I'm one of them. I do well with customer service and bagging, but I'm not a salesperson at all. If I had explicitly known that my job performance would be mostly based off selling redcards I probably would have never taken this job.
same here, i keep wishing publix had called me about my application before Target. you can deal with costco type business on a crazy sunday breaking your back but you only get a recognition if you get a red card.

Oh yeah, I despise that too. I could break my back and bloody my fingers doing anything in the store, but you only get recognition if you get a red card. And I hate the constant cheerleading on the walkie. Enough already. We get it.
Leave the walkie on 2, or make sure you grab a dead one at the beginning of your shift.
We should just stop accepting paper checks as payment. The check readers will only be used to process REDcard applications.
Good...
And if you are paying by non-REDcard credit or debit card, the card reader shakes violently and makes you confirm that you do not want a REDcard at least 5 different times.
Better...
Your card will also be logged into a database so that every time you swipe it, the shaking gets worse and worse until eventually all the readers in the store explode.
YAY FIRE!!!

Naaaaaah.
If you swipe a non-Target card, you get zapped with the voltage getting higher & higher with each swipe.
I've been learning about positive reinforcement at my new job. You can't just give them negative reinforcement, you have to also give them positive reinforcement when they do things right. So mandate shock collars for every guest that enters the store and doesn't show the TPS a redcard upon entering, make sure the shock collars speak so they can be constantly "educating" the guest on the benefits of the redcard at random points (increasing in frequency and intensity as they get closer to the front end). Of course if they still decide to use their satanic card (AKA Amex) then they get a shock. Visa/MC = lowest intensity, Discover = medium, Amex = highest shock level.

However once they sign up they need to be carried out of the store by the ETL GE who takes the shock collar off and gives them constant praise and treats. Every time they use it they should also get treats the first few times, then after a while they get used to using their redcard and don't require positive reinforcement beyond praise.

So you get 100% redcard usage at a store. Now what? Does the redcard conversion goal decrease to 0, or are cashiers supposed to hawk the redcard to their friends, family, and random people on the street?

@redeye58 was describing positive punishment. It drives me crazy when I see people using the terms positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement incorrectly. I really dig behaviorism and it's just a pet peeve of mine to see people (including academics, journalists, etc.) use the terms positive and negative outside their meaning in the context of operant and respondent conditioning.

That said, I totally agree that encouraging using a redcard, either through positive or negative reinforcement, is important. The 5% off everyday definitely is a perk of the card, but reinforcing that behavior in other ways would be great too. Being genuinely excited when people swipe it, thanking them, praising them, and treats for using it are great!

Being genuinely excited when people swipe it, thanking them, praising them, and treats for using it are great!

When our previous ETL-GE first started at the store, she non-jokingly, with a serious face, asked why we don't use the 549 account to "recognize" our guests for signing up for REDcards. She thought it was stupid that we used it for our team members.

But yes, our cashiers certainly could stand to be a little more enthusiastic when guests use the card. I expect an orgasm with maximum climax every time a REDcard is swiped. Ooh yes, that feels good. Those savings are soo nice. Do you know we have the debit as well?

Around the Christmas season a new batch of cashiers were hired as is customary. One cashier in particular made it her life goal to get Reds. I mean really get them. For awhile she was celebrated as a wunderkind. "Did you see ____ got 20 Redcards last week!!" Then one day I was getting my reshop. The GSA was with a guest, but I wasn't paying much attention to what was being said until the guy left & the GSA said, "I apologize again sir." I gave him a look like what was that about? He said -cashier- had been signing people up for RedCards & the guest had no idea what was going on. Since then our front end team has kinda slowed down on stressing the cards & when wunderkind is working (which seems to be everyday now) they keep a close eye on her.

But yes, our cashiers certainly could stand to be a little more enthusiastic when guests use the card. I expect an orgasm with maximum climax every time a REDcard is swiped. Ooh yes, that feels good. Those savings are soo nice. Do you know we have the debit as well?

Yeah, that might get a little messy...

They haven't fired my friend yet, that barely gets any red cards, but they give her lots of coachings and what I assume, warnings. She's told me that people in the past have gotten fired for it though (she assumes) and she can't believe she's still there. I think it's stupid that someone like her could he fired. She's so sweet, friendly, and really good with guests. The only reason she stays is so they can fire her and she can get unemployment.

Honestly, every day we thirst for red cards. It's a battle and I wish there were better incentives. Our only incentive is a $5 or $10 gift card per card. I like pitching the card but I don't like the feeling of desperation. I also don't like that my job depends on it.

Last edited:
Heh I'd like to see them fire me over not getting a Redcard. Whenever I go on back-up I ask and sometimes they say no and sometimes I get a yes I get people ( writing check) no I don't want one I like my checks thank you ( not exact words) people are stubborn some people want to keep writing those stupid checks over and over and I could tell them the same sentence over and over and they are still going to be stubborn because they live in the stone age and refuse to get with program but then I get the guests that do have the checks that say yes..... I also have the stubborn people who freak out that we want their social security number and I gently remind them it only goes to us you are safe but they are still stubborn and say no......Yes it is easy but yes it can be hard too.........

Heh I'd like to see them fire me over not getting a Redcard. Whenever I go on back-up I ask and sometimes they say no and sometimes I get a yes I get people ( writing check) no I don't want one I like my checks thank you ( not exact words) people are stubborn some people want to keep writing those stupid checks over and over and I could tell them the same sentence over and over and they are still going to be stubborn because they live in the stone age and refuse to get with program but then I get the guests that do have the checks that say yes..... I also have the stubborn people who freak out that we want their social security number and I gently remind them it only goes to us you are safe but they are still stubborn and say no......Yes it is easy but yes it can be hard too.........
This is why the check readers should be disabled for everything except signing people up for the redcard. They can either go elsewhere or sign up for the damn card and stop wasting everyone's time.

Personal checks are for personal business. You don't pay for goods with them anymore, that's what debit and credit cards are for. Even cash is quicker than waiting for some old lady to write a check out.

You would think with all the money Target saves with Red Cards they could add a $5 commission bonus to cashiers who sign them up instead of Hershey kisses. At my store we have to push service plans, pet prescriptions, and cartwheel as well. I was talking with the other cashiers and we were saying how almost no one has a check to get the debit card which is what most people want, so we should have a code on the red card pamphlet so if they sign up online we get credit, it would help us to meet our goals so much.
Do you guys not have the mail in applications at your store? There is a spot on them for you to write your TM number and store number so you get the credit. The downside... The guest has to pay for their own postage.

@redeye58 was describing positive punishment. It drives me crazy when I see people using the terms positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement incorrectly. I really dig behaviorism and it's just a pet peeve of mine to see people (including academics, journalists, etc.) use the terms positive and negative outside their meaning in the context of operant and respondent conditioning.

That said, I totally agree that encouraging using a redcard, either through positive or negative reinforcement, is important. The 5% off everyday definitely is a perk of the card, but reinforcing that behavior in other ways would be great too. Being genuinely excited when people swipe it, thanking them, praising them, and treats for using it are great!
I was thinking the same thing... Not sure how being shocked a bunch is considered positive reinforcement. I took a class a few semesters ago and we covered that chapter for 3 weeks.

Back