I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

My GTSL that comes to close up electronics at the end of night always ask why we never get redcards...I always respond how come you front lanes doesn't get them? Lol their faces are priceless..I always then change course so they don't get too mad at me :D

So, devil's advocate for both sides:

A) The reason it is pushed so hard (my understanding) is that the numbers back up a huge increase in how much each guest spends when using RC as well as frequency of shopping. I've genuinely adopted the attitude that we aren't "selling" a guest a RC but honestly educating them about the benefits. The struggle has been to change the culture around them, especially after the breach last year.

B) They are weighted very heavily and not all stores are created equal. My store struggles weekly to hit our conversion but we blow other stores out of the water in % of sales with RC. i.e. we have a lot of return guests already using their cards! Lower income stores in our district can have 20 a day but 18 get declined, which looks better on paper but drives much lower sales in reality. Not fair at all.

Options, in my opinion:

1. Rule #76 - No excuses, play like a champion. Change your outlook, complain less and put that effort into changing the "culture" of RC at your store into a positive, recognition-based program that is win/win when applied for. I've personally talked to our DTL, BPs, Regional whoevers about how excited we are around the culture of improving the guest experience and knowledge around RC benefits even when we miss conversion. I feel our store (and myself) get much better feedback; genuine "wow, here's 20 more things you can try" vs. "why are you such a crappy store?". Own the off weeks and find the ways to improve. Focus on developing your team and share those wins. #tonyrobbinsrantover

2. Complain and bring down those around you. Hate your job. Yes, this is a choice.

3. Organize and win a battle royale with CEO candidates and make the rules yourself. I will apply for a credit and debit at your store if anyone can make this happen.

I still prefer my option of just telling the guest to please sign up for the red card or you'll get fired.

And use this face.

thumb.jpg

Last edited:
I got coached all the time about my conversion score. What they never factored in was I got the least number of prompts of most of the cashiers on my shifts because I had people who I had already gotten to open a red card that came thru my line on a regular basis because they liked me. I just stopped worrying about it after a while.

Honestly this depends on the store. I've never seen them pushed to a point where I thought it was crazy.

They're easy to get anyway.

I get the reason Spot pushes the red card ....it does mean more sales etc. However, I think they are going overboard with it . Lest we forget it hasn't even been a year since the whole security mishap.

It is overboard. I don't ask anyone anymore, unless they're making a big purchase, and I have yet to be talked to personally. I've gotten the general, "I'm telling everyone this," type chats, but that's it. My store's conversion was 3.52 last week so whatever.

I still prefer my option of just telling the guest to please sign up for the red card or you'll get fired.

And use this face.

thumb.jpg

Or........if you're a fan of Office Space:

Good evening Sir/Madam, my name is [redacted]. I come from a rough area. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean. That is why I am selling magazine subscriptions encouraging you to open a Target Red Card with us.

And use this face.

thumb.jpg

Good evening Sir/Madam, my name is [redacted]. I come from a rough area. I used to be addicted to crack but now I am off it and trying to stay clean. That is why I am selling magazine subscriptions encouraging you to open a Target Red Card with us.

But then you'd have to use this face,

original.jpg

And use this face.

thumb.jpg

But then you'd have to use this face,

original.jpg

Bonus points if the guest picks up on the reference AND opens a Red Card.

I can count on one hand how many times I've been talked to about red cards in 8 yrs. I cashier 2-3 days a week and no one EVER says anything to me. They wouldn't know whether I do or don't. One gstl is running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, one is moving to another area and our gsas are social butterflies and are always somewhere else. We're just happy to get the guest through the lanes without having to call the rest of the store to back up. (Thanks mytime.) :(

I have found my "upbeat" way works best I try to also work with what the guest is buying and I use it as a segway. If the guest is buying lightbulbs I say " this is a bright idea! want to know what else is a bright idea?... you saving 5% every time you shop at this beautiful establishment.

I have found my "upbeat" way works best I try to also work with what the guest is buying and I use it as a segway. If the guest is buying lightbulbs I say " this is a bright idea! want to know what else is a bright idea?... you saving 5% every time you shop at this beautiful establishment.

I think I just threw up my mouth a little. It's possible I'm just a jaded cynic though and your cloying optimism (or at least the facade of such) is antithetical to my nature.

I think I just threw up my mouth a little. It's possible I'm just a jaded cynic though and your cloying optimism (or at least the facade of such) is antithetical to my nature.

No, I think you like me refuse to drink the kool-aid since we free think and we work a job, the job does not work us.

Or you are just a snarky one.. :) Which is a good quality in my book.

No, I think you like me refuse to drink the kool-aid since we free think and we work a job, the job does not work us.

Or you are just a snarky one.. :) Which is a good quality in my book.

Probably a mixture of both. I'm definitely kool-aid free and ready to move on, but a day without snark or sarcasm is like a day without sunshine ;).

Do any of you guys working up front think that the new chipped cards coming out next year will help at all?

They may, it definitely helps provide more of an image of security (as well as some actual security). PIN being required on all redcard debits was already enough to stop them from being compromised in the breach, and chip and pin cards add another layer on top of at the point of sale. I haven't heard yet whether the cards will allow magstripe usage as a fallback (since they only need to function in target stores). If they do, then it's generally just as easy to clone as any other magstripe card, so would basically be a publicity stunt. If they do not, then cloning becomes significantly more involved although not impossible. Requiring pins on all redcard credit transactions would be a significant boost in security by itself, chip or no.

Do any of you guys working up front think that the new chipped cards coming out next year will help at all?

Being in a boarder state with very high population of Canadians, it will help. I can't wait for them. It will make my travels across the boarder much easier.

Being in a boarder state with very high population of Canadians, it will help. I can't wait for them. It will make my travels across the boarder much easier.

And cards with a chip they have a mag strip to use in non chip readers. Though it may prompt a call to the CC company or confirmation of a zip code.

Back