I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Who takes the most heat for cashiers not getting red cards? We haven't made goal in a month since our top red card cashier went on maternity leave. Only one cashier has been talked to about getting some as she hadnt gotten any in 2 weeks. Seems if you get at least 1 a week you are ok. The TLs will nag a bit, but our ETL hasn't brought it up to us cashiers at all, of course we almost never see her. She's always somewhere else other than the front end.

Cashiers have it easy compared to GSAs/GSTLs. Our store has been red for months and the cashiers only have to hear it from the GSTL, who always threatens to perform coachings but never actually does. Us GSAs get to be blamed for having a red shift. It's rough.

I am so sick of hearing about redcards. If we didn't have them period guests wouldn't be some pissed at target bc of the breach

Red Cards weren't the only cards affected. Many banks issued new debit cards to their customers because of the breach. But then again, guests will always find something about which to complain.

Red Cards weren't the only cards affected. Many banks issued new debit cards to their customers because of the breach. But then again, guests will always find something about which to complain.
Also we weren't the first, or the last. Do people freak out going to Home Depot? What about Staples? Hell, Knitpicks is still one of the top recommended and top shopped online yarn stores but they were breached during the 2012 Christmas season (and yours truely was affected!)

Cashiers have it easy compared to GSAs/GSTLs. Our store has been red for months and the cashiers only have to hear it from the GSTL, who always threatens to perform coachings but never actually does. Us GSAs get to be blamed for having a red shift. It's rough.
That's incredibly asinine. You guys are rarely- if ever- on register. It's even less your faut then ours.

I've been coached twice about redcards. Every cashier has been coached at least once because I know last week they coached every last one of us (except our redcard queen) reguardless of how many you got or whether you were asking or what.

[QUOTE="queencat, post: 187117, member: 9740"

I've been coached twice about redcards. Every cashier has been coached at least once because I know last week they coached every last one of us (except our redcard queen) reguardless of how many you got or whether you were asking or what.[/QUOTE]

So people who got redcards were coached? How does THAT work? I would have had a hard time with that..it's insulting.

So people who got redcards were coached? How does THAT work? I would have had a hard time with that..it's insulting.
They sat you down and gave you the same coaching they give people who are not getting any and not asking, reguardless of whether you got any or were asking. It's honestly insulting as fuck because it's basically coaching us for other peoples financial decisions. I ask, they know I ask, they tell me they know I ask, and yet I get coached right along with the cashiers who don't fucking care.

They sat you down and gave you the same coaching they give people who are not getting any and not asking, reguardless of whether you got any or were asking. It's honestly insulting as fuck because it's basically coaching us for other peoples financial decisions. I ask, they know I ask, they tell me they know I ask, and yet I get coached right along with the cashiers who don't fucking care.

Personally, I am one of the cashiers that doesn't care. However, my store usually offers good incentives to get redcards: a free SB, free FA, gift cards, t-shirts. The incentives are the ONLY reason I ask. I really, really like getting gift cards.

This is true, but most guests see the red card as a tool that can give away personal info

Personally, I am one of the cashiers that doesn't care. However, my store usually offers good incentives to get redcards: a free SB, free FA, gift cards, t-shirts. The incentives are the ONLY reason I ask. I really, really like getting gift cards.
I couldn't care less about the incentives. They're so unevenly applied. the morning person will promise a gift card and mid will have no clue. They've asked me what like that would motivate me and I tell them honestly I don't care since I'd never see it anyways even if I got 15 in a day.

Only time prizes worked for me was one time they offered little stuffed spot dogs. He now keeps me company when i get anxiety attacks.

Last edited:
Our incentives are evenly applied, and you get something for EACH red card. Like I said, I like the $5 or $10 giftcards. We have some sort of game where you draw a card or a plastic tile to see what you've won. My personal favorite is a $10 or $15 gift card for the 1st person who gets the 1st RC that day which happens when we go all morning without any cards. Makes my hourly wage more competitive when you factor in the gift card.

When our STL took over, he banned giftcard prizes. It sucks because I used to get at least one a week.

Now, if we get any prizes, I would die of shock. We are bloody stingy with R/C prizes now.

Our new STL is trying to get rid of giftcard incentives for getting redcards. It really irks me honestly. Those bitches are hard to get, and the incentives motivate us to get as many as possible. Even tho I am saving most of mine I occasionally use some of the giftcards for extra food I need to get when my paycheck just doesn't cut it.

They can't fire you for not getting Red Cards.
They can pile things up in such a way to make it possible to fire you.
Is it company policy?
Not in writing.
They've made things so tough for the stores and the management is so poorly trained that this has become the only option they think is open to them.

http://thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/the-redcard-thread.9218/

Make sure that you ask guests about the RC....management can't do anything if they hear you asking. I mean, they can't force you to make someone get a RedCard. But if they don't hear you asking.....then that's a different story.

I've gotten to know some of my guests so well that when they come up to check out, I'll say something like "I know that you already are saving money with your Red Card.....so I don't need to ask you if you want another one."

I also make it clear, when a guest has paid with a red card how much money they've saved....in this transaction......or tell the amount they've saved so far. This info often helps to have the next guest in line ask about the RC. Or, I can say something like "Would you like to save money like the guest in front of you just did? Well....the RedCard.......and tell them about the card.

I love it when I'm telling a guest about the RedCard and when they aren't sure of what to do.....the guest behind them tells them how great having a RedCard is.
The uncertain guest gets great testimony from an experienced guest.....and I think the experienced guest likes to help the person get a redcard, too.

Last edited:
...I'm curious as to see what it's like at other stores.

I've been working at my store for a while and will be celebrating my two-year anniversary this year. When I first started, you would often hear about RedCards, but not anywhere close as to what it's like now.

The LODs at my store (mainly the ETLs) seem to think RedCards are the only thing that matters.. And it's been that way the past couple of months. Every five minutes on the walkie, they mention something about them and frankly, it's annoying. That's all you hear all day, every day. That is their no. 1 priority. They don't seem to care that much about the zone, instocks (only been done a few times since the new year), pulls/reshop, none of that because RedCards are all that matter.

When they write vibe cards, 90% of them are for cashiers, stating "good job getting ____ RedCards" or "great conversion rate this week", mainly excluding everyone else in the store. When they're actually on the floor, they're at the lanes "driving RedCards" and "building the cashiers up". My fellow TMs and I have talked about it at length and everyone believes the same thing I do. Who cares if a cashier gets angry and tells off a guest? They get ___ RedCards every day. Who cares if a cashier gets a complaint basically every day (we have one like that)? He's a lock to get ____ RedCards every day. And frankly, despite my work ethic and being tabbed as "the hardest worker" by my TLs, I believe I've been passed up for TL spots because I don't believe RedCards are a big deal, and instead promoting GSAs and GSTLs to those TL positions. I think it's a joke, honestly. But, it is what it is, unfortunately.

(Sorry about the rant, btw). So I'm just curious as to know what it's like at other stores. Is it like ours or are RedCards an afterthought or are they a no. 2 or 3 priority behind other things? I just can't believe that it's like this at every Target store, there's just no way, so I'm eager to see what you all have to say.

Number one for us too, but it's driven from corporate down. If you can't at least pretend to care about conversion and engaging guests about Redcards you can keep watching those promotions pass you by...

MNpLAeQ.jpg

I was hired as a cashier and in a few days it will my first month working there. Our store is in the top 20 stores in the district that give great guest service and the one that gets most target redcards. Since I started working I have been able to get at least one target redcard but recently one GSA has been on my back on why I haven't gotten one. Unfortunately, it's been twice that I haven't gotten a target redcard when I have her as a GSA. Yesterday she pulled me aside and said that they have worked to build a team that is great at getting redcards and if she sees that am not trying then that they would have to let me go. She keeps saying that she doesn't hear me saying all the benefits. I start a conversation with each guest but when I ask if they would they to get a target redcard they immediately say no. I even try to tell them that there is a debit card if they are not interested in the credit. I don't want to annoy the guest neither. Should I speak with the ETL instead, I don't want to lose my job and it's not like I haven't got redcards since I started.

I was hired as a cashier and in a few days it will my first month working there. Our store is in the top 20 stores in the district that give great guest service and the one that gets most target redcards. Since I started working I have been able to get at least one target redcard but recently one GSA has been on my back on why I haven't gotten one. Unfortunately, it's been twice that I haven't gotten a target redcard when I have her as a GSA. Yesterday she pulled me aside and said that they have worked to build a team that is great at getting redcards and if she sees that am not trying then that they would have to let me go. She keeps saying that she doesn't hear me saying all the benefits. I start a conversation with each guest but when I ask if they would they to get a target redcard they immediately say no. I even try to tell them that there is a debit card if they are not interested in the credit. I don't want to annoy the guest neither. Should I speak with the ETL instead, I don't want to lose my job and it's not like I haven't got redcards since I started.

I merged your question into the redcard thread so people could help you better.

Commie you didn't merge my reply which is now lost in space. I wouldn't care except I put some effort into it. can it be retrieved?

The GSA is just doing their job and trying to push applications. I know sometimes it can feel overwhelming for a newer tm, but it is one of corporates major focuses.

Dig deep and don't feel overwhelmed. Feel confident in yourself and your ability to save guests money. Lately I've been waiting for the guest to swipe their debit card and following up with "Did you know about OUR debit card, it works exactly like the one you're using but gives you 5% off every time you shop with us" if they seem like they're thinking about it let them know everything you get with one and Always work in that if they have a check and their drivers licenses you can sign them up right now.

I know that's not what you were really talking about but maybe some tips on how to get more apps will help alleviate some of the stress you're feeling.

Back