I'm Lost! The Target Dating Thread

It's a conflict of interest if the two work in the same store, if they don't then I see no harm in it. However, if one gets transferred to the other's store, then once again there is the issue.

It's a conflict of interest if the two work in the same store, if they don't then I see no harm in it. However, if one gets transferred to the other's store, then once again there is the issue.
Why make it an issue? Do your jobs and don't call undue attention.

It is the disruption of one's work and productivity that is of concern in such situation. There are individuals not mature enough to balance the two.

Don't make it an issue and it won't be an issue

It's only an issue because people talk and thus rumors are spread. I know because I was in that situation once. My then girlfriend who was my manager at the time and I were eating in a restaurant once and were seen by someone we work with, they called the integrity hotline and I was fired. We hardly even worked together and still I was told there was a conflict of interest and fired. It's better to not walk down that road and even though you are innocent to bring about an appearance of wrong doing.

It's only an issue because people talk and thus rumors are spread. I know because I was in that situation once. My then girlfriend who was my manager at the time and I were eating in a restaurant once and were seen by someone we work with, they called the integrity hotline and I was fired. We hardly even worked together and still I was told there was a conflict of interest and fired. It's better to not walk down that road and even though you are innocent to bring about an appearance of wrong doing.
That is just absurd! Someone called the hotline? Talk about immature, selfish, jealous idiots.

Most people meet their ultimate mates through their work in one way or another. It's where people spend most of their time. It could be one meets someone on the way to work, at work, affiliated with work, etc.

That is just rotten that some Ahole would be so jealous and hate filled as to call the hotline.

Karma IS a BITCH and I HOPE it comes onto that well deserving of it Ahole with a vengeance.

Our STL in the past started secretly dating one of our GSTL. I don't know who found out later but he was kicked out after. Lol I thought STLs were these married guys with children in their 50s. Guess this one wasnt.

Our STL in the past started secretly dating one of our GSTL. I don't know who found out later but he was kicked out after. Lol I thought STLs were these married guys with children in their 50s. Guess this one wasnt.
95% of the STLs I've been through are in their early to late 20s and they fuck whoever they want.

I’m a hardlines team member dating a GSA... I looked over what is suppose to be allowed and what not but there wasn’t anything specially that said anything about a GSA and a sales floor TM. This is allowed, correct? The GSA is not a TL, and doesn’t have direct supervision over me. We don’t work together unless they call up for back up, and even then it’s minimal contact. I’m asking because it’s becoming pretty obvious that him and I are dating to the Leaders at my store. He either is a GSA, cash office, or rarely guest services.... so yeah minimal contact. We always go on our meals together if we’re working the same day, or if we pass by we might give each other a smile or a hey. We’ve also came to the store together while we were not working a couple of times. I personally know of two couples in the store, that everyone knows about. Beauty TM, & Market TM, also someone from presentation & backroom. I actually saw those two give each other a peck on the lips while clocking out, and the ETL from AP saw and smiled. So I personally do not believe it is an issue, however I want to make sure there is not any policy against this? GSA & Hardlines TM. Thank you!

d1Cqx2y.gif

There's a friendship rule? I knew about dating. But what?

Bosses can't be buddies with the people they supervise.
It makes for bad optics.
Even if the boss is being perfectly even handed people can say they are giving better hours, promotions etc. to their friends.
My friend was promoted to my boss in my current job and she had to defriend me on Facebook, she stopped eating lunch with the group of us and I had to stop giving her shit in front of everyone.
Once again - bad optics - people aren't going to understand why the guy at the front desk gets to constantly say snarky things to the boss when they can't.
I still do it in private, she is my friend after all.

Bosses can't be buddies with they people the supervise.
It makes for bad optics.
Even if the boss is being perfectly even handed people can say they are giving better hours, promotions etc. to their friends.
My friend was promoted to my boss in my current job and she had to defriend me on Facebook, she stopped eating lunch with the group of us and I had to stop giving her shit in front of everyone.
Once again - bad optics - people aren't going to understand why the guy at the front desk gets to constantly say snarky things to the boss when they can't.
See, the funny thing is that the ETLs, TLs, and TMs all joke and snark each other on a regular basis. TLs go to lunch with TMs all the time. I don't hang out with them outside work, but two of my best buds at work are the APTL and the PMT. We (softlines) call the SFTL and VML "mom." A lot of us are friends on Facebook. And yes, two of the TLs were favoring some of their pals, but at the moment, most of the schedule is written by our STL, who hates everyone, so...

You can't stop being friends with some of your coworkers, just because they become your "supervisor." That's not healthy imo.

See, the funny thing is that the ETLs, TLs, and TMs all joke and snark each other on a regular basis. TLs go to lunch with TMs all the time. I don't hang out with them outside work, but two of my best buds at work are the APTL and the PMT. We (softlines) call the SFTL and VML "mom." A lot of us are friends on Facebook. And yes, two of the TLs were favoring some of their pals, but at the moment, most of the schedule is written by our STL, who hates everyone, so...

You can't stop being friends with some of your coworkers, just because they become your "supervisor." That's not healthy imo.

Didn't say we stopped being friends.
However we work for a state agency where everything we do can be scrutinized by lawyers and the upper echelon.
She has to keep the appearance of impartiality as a boss because no matter how good a job she is doing if someone can point to something that looks even the slightest bit like favoritism then everything she does gets called into question, even if nobody did anything wrong.
I promise it happens a lot.
Healthy is making sure your friend doesn't have to defend themselves to their boss because of something you did.

Didn't say we stopped being friends.
However we work for a state agency where everything we do can be scrutinized by lawyers and the upper echelon.
She has to keep the appearance of impartiality as a boss because no matter how good a job she is doing if someone can point to something that looks even the slightest bit like favoritism then everything she does gets called into question, even if nobody did anything wrong.
I promise it happens a lot.
Healthy is making sure your friend doesn't have to defend themselves to their boss because of something you did.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you and she had stopped being friends. I meant to point out that that's what Spot expects to happen.

So instead of doing what you and your friend do, and act professional (which is awesome, I applaud you) and don't show favoritism towards each other, you have my store, where my TLs show obvious favoritism and give their buddies/favorites better hours and the hard workers get shit. I wish everyone was like you and your friend. I certainly hope that my APTL buddy would turn me in if he caught me stealing (which I would never do) or that my PMT buddy would yell if he caught me working unsafely (which I do more than I'm proud of). And they probably would. But most wouldn't. That's why our STL writes half the store's schedule now and since she hates certain people, we suffer the "no hours curse."

ASANTS, but my store is almost over compensating now by never having us work as a team and grow a rapport with each other. Everyone is constantly arguing and snapping at each other when we used to be like a family. And I think a workplace should be able to be like a family, as long as they are still able to do their job well and be professional. Which my store was mostly achieving, and I think any store could, with good checks and balances in place.

I was just agreeing with @OneArmedJesus that the friendship rule is a stupid rule.

I know a few people that eventually chose to leave target or step down because of relationships that formed while they were at Target. If people are gonna do it, keep it low profile and off of social media is my advice because higher ups will eventually confront people. Seen it happen enough times.

Bosses can't be buddies with the people they supervise.
It makes for bad optics.
Target is the ONLY company I've EVER heard of that is so weird about fraternizing. It's actually ridiculous.

I don't come from a retail background which is why it looks as ridiculous to me as it actually is. It REALLY IS stupid.

In my regular world I've been to dozens of weddings of co-workers over the years. Every last friend I've had in my adulthood came through work or my main hobby.

Target simply has very strange policies and, TBH, have NO idea how FT career persons at Target manage to survive without turning into drinkers or something.

I've never seen such a peculiar environment. First month in, about 4½ years ago, I asked the HRTM in confidence, "What's wrong with these people? They all either gossip or don't talk to each other at all. It seems like everyone dislikes each other except to gossip about person x."

That's NOT a normal environment and when (if) you leave retail you'll find that out.

Back