The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

As a cart attendant there are a lot of things that irritate me:

1 When I ask on the walkie where something is for a guest and no one responds.
2 We all have that one slacker but the guy I work with now is the worst, all he does is talk about his basketball and walks beside me as I'm doing carts, rarely even bothers to help, the other cart attendants don't like him either.
3 Before the remodel we had a sign that said restrooms, and the guests would come in and ask where the restrooms where, I had to laugh as I pointed to the sign.
4 People mad because food ave closed.
5 People that say they would love to have my job in the summer but say they're glad they don't have my job in the winter.
6 If I have to hear another thing about red cards while I'm busting my butt in the lot...
7 The cart attendant who acts like your boss when he just started working here and you have 4 years of experience, see number 2.
8 Why are we responsible for the restrooms and the trash, we have an overnight janitorial but we don't have a daytime.
9 Those carryouts that are so gosh darn heavy.
10 The fact that they don't give us keys and it takes forever for an LOD to unlock the compactor.

As a cart attendant, it's all too real. I haven't done carts/cashier/front end since about late October but a few things to add to that list;

Asking for a team lift for a carryout but no one helps, not even GSTLs. Once had to lift a giant-ass grill onto a group of ladies' truck bed all by myself... I thanked them for their non-existent help and still wished them a good day.

Being hounded by the LOD to get all carts it when they know I always do before closing but the other TMs don't, so I understand why... but trust me, I've never left a single cart out there. I haul some serious ass and I'm glad my GSTLs and GSAs recognize me for that when I actually do carts.

Being paged to a spill in backroom because a TM is too lazy to clean it up. (it was a food spill, they could have cleaned it.)

I worked through EVERY single blizzard in Minnesota last year doing carts.. either I was lucky enough to be scheduled that day, or I was cashiering and got put on carts because a cart attendant bitched out for the night, or I got called in because the cart attendant bitched out. Believe it or not, I fucking loved working in the snow. There's something just very serene about it.. until your pusher loses traction in 1 inch of snow and your entire line of carts is now a sitting duck for a car to hit. I've never cursed so much before. It's just so peaceful, and quiet, not incredibly busy, but enough to keep you moving. The bad? The team members who give you false sympathy "Well, I'm not glad you're out there doing carts, it must be cold.(I'm glad it's you, not me, bitch, HAHA!!)" but my LOD some of those nights was really nice and got me a sbux drink. Boots are soaking wet, your coat is all wet and damp, you're sweaty, but you've put in some real work in real quality weather. I like the snow when it's beautiful, or when I'm not expecting to drive.

I'm not incredibly guilty of your #8 but when it was just me and two other cart attendants after everyone either NCNS'd to oblivion or left, I kind of took charge. I trained all the new cart attendants, and was working almost full-time on cart attendant(weird, right?) and I was positive if there was a cart attendant team lead or main cart attendant position, I would have been in it. I came in on my off days to help carts, got off the check lanes to (gladly) go out and do carts, I made sure bathrooms were checked, everyone went to me with their issues with us or whatever might have happened. Unfortunately, I wish I was that go-to guy still. Been yearning for a leadership position for a long time now, and having some new seasonals and being one of the "main guys" back in frozen dairy after all the morning people go has put me back on that track. Unfortunately, I lucked out of a new PA position because I had no idea that existed in my store, I could have stolen it from my co-worker who is younger than me, but I was nice and kept it open for him so he could start as soon as he leaves school and graduates since he's only a minor. I could have applied and gotten it and started my new position ASAP since he can't, but that'd just be dirty, wouldn't it?

because I had no idea that existed in my store, I could have stolen it from my co-worker who is younger than me, but I was nice and kept it open for him so he could start as soon as he leaves school and graduates since he's only a minor. I could have applied and gotten it and started my new position ASAP since he can't, but that'd just be dirty, wouldn't it?

Thats kind of silly. You have talked a lot about moving out with your girlfriend, making more money etc. You only got five hours on this schedul, you definitely shoulf have went for the position.

Remember there is no "this position is for so and so" in retail. What if leadership didn't want him? Even if they did why not show some initiative yourself? Your leadership would know you want more hours than 5.

You need to look out for yourself more. I know you're girlfriend has a great job but you will need to carry some weight too.

Thats kind of silly. You have talked a lot about moving out with your girlfriend, making more money etc. You only got five hours on this schedul, you definitely shoulf have went for the position.

Remember there is no "this position is for so and so" in retail. What if leadership didn't want him? Even if they did why not show some initiative yourself? Your leadership would know you want more hours than 5.

You need to look out for yourself more. I know you're girlfriend has a great job but you will need to carry some weight too.

It sounded like he and the ETL were already set to make him the PA. I only found out it existed after the TM came to me saying he's gonna be the new PA, and I was like "We had a PA position open?" and he talked about how he and our ETL-Food and Sr. ETL-Food confirmed it and that he can officially start ASAP but until he graduates he will just be "training" for it, so it sounded pretty much done and over with.

I have to try and have a real conversation with any ETL for that matter about moving up, I'm pretty sure I could get something going but every time I've mentioned wanting to move up and be a leader everyone's just like "Ohh cool!! That's great, man." and like they mean it but I don't think they get what I'm trying to say... even though it's crystal clear lol.

I appreciate this post, it's making me look more at the reality in front of me. It would have just been dirty of me to try and sweep someone under the rug, perhaps I'll regret it my whole life, perhaps I'll forget about it, whatever the case, I agree on the notion I need to get ahead in the game.

I forgot to add the whole timeline of this was back in November, and my talks to some ETLs about moving up were in Oct-Nov but nothing ever came of it, so with the new year, I should plan to spark something, seeing as how I'm pretty sure TLs are gonna be getting moved around and put somewhere else or demoted and just lots of lateral movement within my store, I bet I could try to fit in somewhere. I've always said I'd hate to be a GSA or a GSTL, but if that's where I need to start, and that's the only or last option left for me, then fuck it.

thanks again HRzone

I was never GSA. I was hired as service desk TM and given a $0.50 increase over base from day 1. When my availability changed due to my primary job, I was stepped down to straight cashier, but they didn't change my hourly rate until annual reviews. Then they took off the step-up and applied a 5% raise, which essentially negated the loss in step-up.

When people come up to GS. “I just bought this and it’s broken.”
Me: “oh okay” *goes through whole process of scanning receipt/item or typing in the packing slip info* “do you want it back on your debit card cash or gift card?”
Guest: *blank stare* “....I just want another one.”
Then why didn’t you say so!!!

When people come up to GS. “I just bought this and it’s broken.”
Me: “oh okay” *goes through whole process of scanning receipt/item or typing in the packing slip info* “do you want it back on your debit card cash or gift card?”
Guest: *blank stare* “....I just want another one.”
Then why didn’t you say so!!!

Well at least they are less likely to be scammers. They don't want money back.

Well at least they are less likely to be scammers. They don't want money back.
Yeah I always try my best to work with those people. This woman yesterday was doing a no receipt ID return on a doll, it was giving her $30 for it. She said “no, I paid $75 for this.” I did a price inquiry and the regular price, current selling price and all that all said $30. I said “looks like this has never been sold for $75. Even then when you don’t have any form of receipt or PROOF of what you paid you get the lowest selling price back.” She made such a big stink that guess how much my GSTL gave her back for it? $75.

Yeah I always try my best to work with those people. This woman yesterday was doing a no receipt ID return on a doll, it was giving her $30 for it. She said “no, I paid $75 for this.” I did a price inquiry and the regular price, current selling price and all that all said $30. I said “looks like this has never been sold for $75. Even then when you don’t have any form of receipt or PROOF of what you paid you get the lowest selling price back.” She made such a big stink that guess how much my GSTL gave her back for it? $75.
That’s insane. At my store she would’ve walked out with $30. “Ma’am I would be MORE than happy to give you $75 if you provide a receipt showing you paid $75.”

Sometimes I read these stories about the GSTLs and I want to slap them. They need to grow a pair.

Sometimes I read these stories about the GSTLs and I want to slap them. They need to grow a pair.
It’s infuriating. Yesterday I overheard one of them say “anything is better than a bad survey score” like it’s really not their fault, I know it’s my STL who freaks out at them over any complaints and so to keep their boss happy they have to avoid any and all guest complaints which means letting people scam us apparently

I've never once heard anything about a survey score. honestly how many people fill those things out? i only ever have if you get something for doing it.

my store is basically like do everything you can for the guest but you are not expected/shouldn't break policy for them

now obviously if you're nice to me i'm much more likely to see what i can do then if you come in yelling. or fake nice-- i hate fake nice

Let your etl ap know. We have a pushover gsa who refunds everything. Cashier's always complained he didn't back them up but didn't do anything. I convinced one to tell the etl ap. Our etl ap coached the gsa and he stopped taking the awful returns

I've never once heard anything about a survey score

It's actually the number two metric for stores outside of sales now.

Red Cards used to mean everything. Now they don't.

If you have access to myguest (leadership and front end leaders do) the average store gets anywhere from 2 to 10 surveys per day.

Bad surveys will lead to action from the dtl.

Why do kids need to stand right by the scanner and stare at you. I've actually had to ask some to move because they were so close I was afraid I was going to insure them.

Another one....guests who unpack the bags and repack them rather than just telling you what they want. Or the ones that take bags that are practically empty. I usually start one food and one non-food or if there are multiple heaving items I'll stagger them between 2 bags. Depending on how they load the belt i go back and forth. They'll just grab the one i'm not filling eventhough it's far from heavy/full.

Guests who through my shit, whether it be my cart with my SFS orders (seriously don't, had a lady go though it and try to take shit.) Or be the stuff I'm pushing, or re shop. It's just a pet peeve of mine

I've never had anyone do that, and for an SFS cart, no fucking way, but I'd love it if people who take shit from my pull or reshop carts. Sure! Make less work for me, please!

I've never had anyone do that, and for an SFS cart, no fucking way, but I'd love it if people who take shit from my pull or reshop carts. Sure! Make less work for me, please!

Lol except when they take it out then put it back where it doesn't belong so you have to reshop it twice

In my store, we have to "do it right for the guest" we used to be a strict store and said no to almost everythig, but we apparently got too many complaints now we changed and almost always have to say yes, hate it. We all do, but we get in trouble by our STL if we dont comply.

It seems like Spot moves between "The guest is always right!" and "Shit, guests are a bunch of lying assholes and we're losing too much money! No discounts! No returns without a receipt, 5 forms of identification, and only within 5 minutes of purchase!"

They seem to be in the former mode at the moment. We'll see how long it lasts.

It seems like Spot moves between "The guest is always right!" and "Shit, guests are a bunch of lying assholes and we're losing too much money! No discounts! No returns without a receipt, 5 forms of identification, and only within 5 minutes of purchase!"

They seem to be in the former mode at the moment. We'll see how long it lasts.

It's up to your stl. My old STL had the balls of a bull. We got a lot of calls from other stores asking why we didn't take no receipt returns.

Depends on if your stl is worried about guest relations/low nps scores.

The ironic thing is you can bend over for guest and still get negative surveys. I kid you not our nps score jumped to the 70s once we stopped the pandering

This isn't something I've noticed as a TM, but as a guest, over time. It seems like every couple of years it goes from return anything, anytime to no returns for you! My mom has commented on the same thing, and she's been shopping at Target way longer than I have.

my store is in between. like we make it right for the guest, when reasonable, but we don't by any means bend over backward for them.

the one amazing thing is if us GSTMs say no, 9/10 times our leaders will back us up.

I've had it before and everyone in SFS has an experience with that too. Especially when we had that toy sale back in decem ber, people just assume that it's a random cart with products. We're always told to keep out carts nearby but even then. Jfc

I've had it before and everyone in SFS has an experience with that too. Especially when we had that toy sale back in decem ber, people just assume that it's a random cart with products. We're always told to keep out carts nearby but even then. Jfc
My store finally started covering up the carts with tarps clipped down with the black/white clips when we were in electronics or toys. Worked better than I expected.

This isn't something I've noticed as a TM, but as a guest, over time. It seems like every couple of years it goes from return anything, anytime to no returns for you! My mom has commented on the same thing, and she's been shopping at Target way longer than I have.
Spot doesn't seem to like to smoothly sail in the middle of the river, they flail wildly from one extreme to another, not caring who or what gets flung out of the boat along the way.

Back