The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

They need to wait until it is stocked on the floor. That's giving every guest a fair chance to purchase the item. (Just like we don't hide hatchimals in the backroom)

How is letting people grab an item off the reshop cart not a fair chance for everyone? It's in plain sight of everyone walking by and it's clearly been around a while if someone else had time to buy it and return it, or pick it up and abandon it on top of the slow cookers. It's no less fair than making the guest wait until I've finished with A New Day and am ready to put away Mossimo Black.

Had a guest get mad at me the other day because i couldn’t return an order he had just picked up. I asked him to check his email for the receipt that should’ve been emailed to him. He refused to check it and told me he never got it. Since it was that day i wasn’t able to look it up on his card. Again, i reassured him it was in his email and i offered to help him find it, or even go online to get the receipt. But he refused and demanded i return his item right there. Like really dude? I couldn’t even return it off his ID because he wanted it back on his card. I told him to wait a day so then we can return it off his card and he just couldn’t take no as an answer. called over the GSTL and he stormed out saying he will never shop here again. Sure dude. See you next week.

Speaking of, when I give someone their order and I say “okay im just gonna process your payment and you’ll be good to go” and they FREAK OUT and are all like “you better not charge me for this I already paid for it” and all that and I just have to be like “ACTUALLY, if you LOOK AT YOUR ACCOUNT the charges are PENDING so it has not gone through yet until I process it. Thanks :)
I gave up saying we are processing your payment. I now say, I am now going to process your order and you will receive an online receipt. No more freak outs telling me they already paid.

Last edited:
I just say “if the item in the bag is what you ordered* you’re good to go! You’ll get a receipt by email”

*always have them check since we can’t do same day returns for OPU

when guests with two items clog up the checklanes instead of using SCO, it really pisses me off. they're the reason we've got lines all the way back to Softlines Girls.

My goodness, today my SCO line was a hella lot longer than my super long regular check out lines.

I just say “if the item in the bag is what you ordered* you’re good to go! You’ll get a receipt by email”

*always have them check since we can’t do same day returns for OPU

I usually pull the items out of the bag so they can verify before I process. Mostly because until about 2 months ago, their items weren't already bagged and I got into the habit of having them verify items before I bagged.

There is something though, I wonder if anyone has a good solution. I was talking with one of the new hires that was pulling stuff for the online orders and he said that a guest had tried to take an item out of his cart as he was grabbing something else, and he told her don't do that. We in softlines use the same three tier carts they do and no one that I know of has ever had a problem with a guest liking something in the reshop enough to take straight from it. However from the guest point of view, it's got to be confusing that some carts have team members saying "Don't touch" and some identical looking carts have team members saying "Help yourself!" I did speak with a guest a few months back who had run into that situation, she was really timid about asking if she could have something off my cart because she had been told not to take something on a previous visit, so the confusion is a real thing. Ideas?
I feel like the vast majority of the guests I've encountered taking items out of SFS carts know full well what they're doing, because when we say "don't do that" they argue about it not being fair that they're at the store now so they should get it, etc. I kind of enjoy it, though, because if they won't give it back, and it's the only one on hand, we walkie the GSTL and they watch for the guest and take the item back at the checklanes and get it back to us. It's really satisfying.

I've noticed that, when I have the blue Store Pick-Up clips on my cart, fewer guests try to snatch things out of my cart, so maybe that helps? I'm still holding out for them to electrify the carts, though. Zap!

I usually pull the items out of the bag so they can verify before I process. Mostly because until about 2 months ago, their items weren't already bagged and I got into the habit of having them verify items before I bagged.
I always take the items out of the bag and show them. There have been times when the item is smaller or not quite what they thought it would be and I can cancel the order right then.

I feel like the vast majority of the guests I've encountered taking items out of SFS carts know full well what they're doing, because when we say "don't do that" they argue about it not being fair that they're at the store now so they should get it, etc.

I'd struggle with this because...I'm kind of on Team Guest here. Maybe Target does appear to do a better job than it looks like of moderating what gets SFS, but when I have people on their 3rd Target of the day trying to find something having watched it roll out on a SFS cart I get their frustration. If we're pulling stock off the floor to sell that isn't going particularly quickly, sure, that's awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of depriving stores of stock to fulfill online orders.

I'd struggle with this because...I'm kind of on Team Guest here. Maybe Target does appear to do a better job than it looks like of moderating what gets SFS, but when I have people on their 3rd Target of the day trying to find something having watched it roll out on a SFS cart I get their frustration. If we're pulling stock off the floor to sell that isn't going particularly quickly, sure, that's awesome, but I'm not a huge fan of depriving stores of stock to fulfill online orders.
I mean, I guess, a sale is a sale, especially for order pickup. If stuff wasn't getting shipped from the stores, that high-demand merchandise would have just stayed at the DC to be shipped out to people, rather than going on a truck to a store where other guests have a chance at getting it before a FF order drops in for it.

Yeah, that's what I'm not sure about as far as logistics go--does SFS mean more product gets shipped to stores due to lower anticipated need for stock in the DCs or are they just taking advantage of what are essentially more widely distributed DCs and messing with store stocks? Call me cynical, but having been in a (non-Target) corporate environment for 15 years I'd be surprised if someone had actually thought of increasing stock to store to compensate for SFS, but maybe the people who work at Target HQ are brighter than I give them credit for.

I feel like it's also worth mentioning that some of the orders we're fulfilling right now are for high-demand merchandise that was ordered ages ago- a lot of things like Fingerlings and LOL Surprise have had online orders turned off since, like, before Thanksgiving, and we're just now able to actually get it to the people.

Target lets you order for things that are out of stock? Didn't know that. Had an online order held up to the tune of an hour on the phone with support trying to figure out why my order wouldn't go through "Oops! Something went wrong! Try again!" (so helpful!) that turned out to be because one item in my cart had sold out but it didn't tell me that or throw a useful error. I would have happily bought the things (mittens) and waited for them to come in, but I was not given that option.

Target lets you order for things that are out of stock? Didn't know that. Had an online order held up to the tune of an hour on the phone with support trying to figure out why my order wouldn't go through "Oops! Something went wrong! Try again!" (so helpful!) that turned out to be because one item in my cart had sold out but it didn't tell me that or throw a useful error. I would have happily bought the things (mittens) and waited for them to come in, but I was not given that option.
There were a lot of people who ordered it when target.com said it was "in stock", and it really wasn't, so they were given the option of having a delayed delivery date. The only time it happens is when the site thought it was in stock and let you order it, it was actually out of stock, and they expect enough to come in that they can fulfill the order by a certain date. If you look at the Target FB page, you can see a lot of people in this situation complaining about their orders being cancelled now because the item actually didn't become available (probably because it was shipped to a store and all the in-store guests got to it first). Oops!

I think sometimes Target allows online orders for an out of stock item because Target doesn't know it's out of stock. A couple of times SFS has asked for help finding something and we end up finding the tag hidden pretty well and the item long gone.

“It won’t take my money.” As the guest tries to shove a stack of about 8 bills into the bill collector at SCO all at the same time. I had to tell him they go in one at a time. He has obviously not used any SCO at any store ever.

“It won’t take my money.” As the guest tries to shove a stack of about 8 bills into the bill collector at SCO all at the same time. I had to tell him they go in one at a time. He has obviously not used any SCO at any store ever.
He might simply be used to depositing cash at an ATM. ATMs take a stack of bills, not one at a time.

Back