The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

Guests who are knowingly sick and still go shopping anyways.
I'm a germaphobe, but I have to side with the sick guests here. No one wants to go shopping when they're sick. If they're out, it's probably because they ran out of something important like soap or tooth paste. So I'll try to help them out. (But if they so much as breathe on me, we're going to have a problem.)
Or, they're waiting for a prescription....there IS a PHARMACY in your store, isn't there??? ;)

Mobile rant!

People who don't tell you they're waiting. If my back is to you, and you can't use words, you're just a dude playing on his phone. So when i catch your eye on the way to the register at 8:36, I'm sorry but no amount of repeating "I just want to get a phone," even when combined with caling the LOD, will get you what you want before we open tomorrow.

This makes more sense if I note it was a day we closed at eight. And a week where we were running over hours in a month with the same problem.

People who return Apple products "cause it's the wrong color."

People who are amazed that transferring 2200 pictures and 400 videos takes about two hours.

Anyone who suggests I have powers I don't. No, I can't just Google someone's account information.

I hate when people leave cold food items like meat on top of the drink coolers at the checkout lanes. Not frozen just cold. I always appreciate it more when guests dump that stuff inside the cooler with the soft drinks because at least it means they're trying to be considerate.

Today I was walkin by the coolers looking for a vitamin water and I saw a carton of eggs :p

When we're stocking PFresh, I hate it when guests get pissy that it's crowded in the area. If there was a less inconvenient place for us to put our green steels and flats, we would. One time a guest just rammed her cart into my green steel to move it out of the way and it ran into my ankle while I was on the ground stocking orange juice. She didn't apologize when I yelped in pain, just made a "hurumph!" noise and moved along. That's some bullshit.

When we're stocking PFresh, I hate it when guests get pissy that it's crowded in the area. If there was a less inconvenient place for us to put our green steels and flats, we would. One time a guest just rammed her cart into my green steel to move it out of the way and it ran into my ankle while I was on the ground stocking orange juice. She didn't apologize when I yelped in pain, just made a "hurumph!" noise and moved along. That's some bullshit.
Call police --> identity of cunt + camera footage --> assault charges.

Guests who destroy the zone the section you're zoning or you just zoned. Look what I'm doing, asshole.
I always make it a priority to rezone the area immediately after while the guest is in close proximity to make a point.

Here's a few:

1. When a guest sees an item online that says "limited availability" and the visit the store without calling. Then they yell at me and ask for a manager.

2. When guests pile stuff on the belt with no rhyme or reason to it. Thanks for making my job harder and holding up the line!

3. When guests leave their half full Starbucks cups on the shelf. Gross.

4. When a guest takes my reshop cart and leaves behind the items on a random shelf.

5. When guests pile the merchandise they don't want on the endcaps at the price scanners.

6. When guests have a crying baby and they ignore it as if nothing is wrong. Attend to your child, you awful parent.

7. When guests open boxes and leave them on the shelf all messed up.

8. Guests who don't bring a cart in the store and then realize their hand basket isn't big enough and then ask if I'm using my reshop cart. I always get them a cart from the front, but seriously, plan ahead better!

That's all I have for now.

Last edited:
2. When guests pile stuff on the belt with no rhyme or reason to it. Thanks for making my job harder and holding up the line!
They get their items bagged roughly in the order they were put on the belt for me. Obviously I make an effort to bag chemicals separate from food but if it's all mixed together then I assume they don't care.

Relating to that, when guests ask if they can leave their cart with you (a cashier) while they run and get their wallet, then NEVER COME BACK!

EDIT: Oh, and the guests who just walk away while you're ringing up their stuff

Relating to that, when guests ask if they can leave their cart with you (a cashier) while they run and get their wallet, then NEVER COME BACK!

EDIT: Oh, and the guests who just walk away while you're ringing up their stuff
I had the second thing happen to me last week. I just suspended it and moved on to the next guest.

Also, when a guest on the phone wants to put an item on hold for pickup and they never show up.

I can't stand people who have $200+ in groceries and just stand at the counter tapping their fingers and looking over at me while I'm ringing them up. I mean you bought all this stuff and you think it's going to be rung up and bagged in 30 seconds!? Also move you butt over to the side and put your $200+ worth of bags in your cart because there's no more room to put anymore there, am I supposed to build a pyramid?

I can't stand people who have $200+ in groceries and just stand at the counter tapping their fingers and looking over at me while I'm ringing them up. I mean you bought all this stuff and you think it's going to be rung up and bagged in 30 seconds!? Also move you butt over to the side and put your $200+ worth of bags in your cart because there's no more room to put anymore there, am I supposed to build a pyramid?

When I was a cashier, I would "joke" about it turning into a game of Tetris and they would usually get the hint. Sometimes you gotta be a little passive-aggressive.

I wonder what would happen if you just started putting bags on the floor...

One year when we had the big toy clearance I had a woman at my register with TWO carts full. She did not move a muscle as I was bagging & putting it on that shelf at the end. I ended piling the scrap on the floor by me & on the floor at the end. Once I got done ringing her up I started putting them in the carts. She never ever moved or helped.

How could I forget this one. When you go to the back to get something for a guest and you return and the guest is nowhere to be found.
My favorite time this happened? Piece of furniture that's sold in one of two colors. Guest doesn't want the one we have out so I check to see if we have the other color in the back. Get back to the floor to let him know and both him and the box on the shelf are nowhere to be found.

Guess he really needed that TV stand that day.

I wonder what would happen if you just started putting bags on the floor...
you know i considered that for a moment when the store was really busy, i was on my 8th hour, and my patience was low. I did pile them up but some fell and of course the guest is slightly annoyed at me even though it's their fault. So from now to avoid that i tell the guest to please put the bags in their cart so i can have room to put more down. Some people have *no* clue what's going on around them.

Last edited:
One year when we had the big toy clearance I had a woman at my register with TWO carts full. She did not move a muscle as I was bagging & putting it on that shelf at the end. I ended piling the scrap on the floor by me & on the floor at the end. Once I got done ringing her up I started putting them in the carts. She never ever moved or helped.

That one made my blood boil. I do NOT help people with their bags unless they are elderly, pregnant, or holding a baby, and I will assist with a heavy item only for every other competent adult. I would have put some of the bags in their cart and put the ones that were on the floor on the ledge but with them just standing there I would have said have a good day and went on the to the next guest. At my store the LOD would have helped me with that guests bags to speed up the line.

Last edited:
Back