The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

Okay but

guests who bring baskets up on the counter...and make me empty them

I'm 5ft 2in and I literally have to tip toe and tip the basket over a lil to reach to get everything and I don't want to dump it out/tip it any more than I have to because guests also have a very bad habit of sticking glass randomly in there and ain't no way am I gonna get yelled at for accidentally breaking it

Okay but

guests who bring baskets up on the counter...and make me empty them

I'm 5ft 2in and I literally have to tip toe and tip the basket over a lil to reach to get everything and I don't want to dump it out/tip it any more than I have to because guests also have a very bad habit of sticking glass randomly in there and ain't no way am I gonna get yelled at for accidentally breaking it
I feel your pain. I'm 5-3. I will (and have) asked them (politely -- or at least I attempt to be polite) to please empty the basket and place the items on the belt as well as put the basket at the head of the lane so that it can be collected by the cart attendant.

"Can you check the back" sends me into a spiraling rampage, especially when I know nothing is in the back. It's not like we just have a pile of stuff in the electronics stock room to rifle through and find what you want. What do you want me to do, stand in the backroom with my thumb up my ass? I also hate guests who snap at me and give me a firm "no" when I ask them if they want a REDcard. Look, I know the REDcards are worthless pieces of shit and that you don't want one, but I'm trying to do my job. No reason to get snippy with me. And on top of that, I've had a couple of guests ruin my pitch for the rest of the line before during a cashier shift by bringing up the identity breach from a few years ago. Now nobody in the rest of the line will even consider getting one and they'll think I'm a dick for even asking, but if I don't ask, my GSTL will get angry. Thanks, asshole.

"Can you check the back" sends me into a spiraling rampage, especially when I know nothing is in the back. It's not like we just have a pile of stuff in the electronics stock room to rifle through and find what you want. What do you want me to do, stand in the backroom with my thumb up my ass?

"Can you check the back" sends me into a spiraling rampage, especially when I know nothing is in the back. It's not like we just have a pile of stuff in the electronics stock room to rifle through and find what you want. What do you want me to do, stand in the backroom with my thumb up my ass? I also hate guests who snap at me and give me a firm "no" when I ask them if they want a REDcard. Look, I know the REDcards are worthless pieces of shit and that you don't want one, but I'm trying to do my job. No reason to get snippy with me. And on top of that, I've had a couple of guests ruin my pitch for the rest of the line before during a cashier shift by bringing up the identity breach from a few years ago. Now nobody in the rest of the line will even consider getting one and they'll think I'm a dick for even asking, but if I don't ask, my GSTL will get angry. Thanks, asshole.

If the guest is that insistent, just look at it as a break from being on the floor. :D

I really, really want to ask a guest to help me look for something in the back when they insist I literally go back there.

I'd take them back and even take them to the right section. And then when they look at the packed aisles with items sitting in wacos, they will inevitably ask how we're supposed to find it.

And that is when I can smack them across the head with my PDA.

1. When guests hand you the incorrect amount of change, then when you inform them they get pissed and snatch the money back to re-count it them selves.
2. When guests leave their 7 year old child at the registers to put everything on the belt and back into the carriage as they stand in the back looking through the magazines.
3. When parents bring their children into the toy section of target and literally walk through every single isle letting their children touch and throw shit everywhere while they just sit on their phone. This is not a place where you bring your child to "play".
4. When you go to answer a call box and the guest does not understand that you have to clear that said call box before you can help them.
5. Idiots who actually ask "why are these knives locked in here, could I see one?"
6. People who open every product they pick up in cosmetics and put it on the back of their hand, this is not Sephora, those are not testers.
7. The infamous "do you work here?"
8. Deciding they don't want more then half of the items they have put onto the belt after I have already scanned them.
9. Guests who claim they saw something on an end cap "a few months ago" & is now wondering where it went.
10. Guests who see that you are already helping someone, but still proceed to ask for help that second.

And on top of that, I've had a couple of guests ruin my pitch for the rest of the line before during a cashier shift by bringing up the identity breach from a few years ago. Now nobody in the rest of the line will even consider getting one and they'll think I'm a dick for even asking, but if I don't ask, my GSTL will get angry. Thanks, asshole.

I actually found that telling them "if you think about it, that could have happened to anyone, even a bank." or "well it's unfortunate that it happened, but because of that we've upgraded our security and with the chip cards it's even more secure now" gets them thinking about it. They rarely ever get one, but now they're not flat out rejecting it and are open to listening.

I actually found that telling them "if you think about it, that could have happened to anyone, even a bank." or "well it's unfortunate that it happened, but because of that we've upgraded our security and with the chip cards it's even more secure now" gets them thinking about it. They rarely ever get one, but now they're not flat out rejecting it and are open to listening.

I'd add that our debit Redcards are more secure because it uses chip and PIN instead of chip and signature. A stolen chip and PIN card is useless unless the thieves know the PIN.

And on top of that, I've had a couple of guests ruin my pitch for the rest of the line before during a cashier shift by bringing up the identity breach from a few years ago. Now nobody in the rest of the line will even consider getting one and they'll think I'm a dick for even asking, but if I don't ask, my GSTL will get angry. Thanks, asshole.

I don't believe it ruins your pitch. I more often than not have guests behind such people refer to idiots unable to let something from 2 years ago go, and acknowledge that identity theft is simply a issue no matter what card you use and no matter where you shop.

Yeah it does, and most of the guests who just get theirs end up like ????pin????why???where??? apparently completely forgetting they made a pin

They typically didn't make a pin. When the chip card is sent to you, you have two options.

1. Go online and create a PIN.

2. The first time you use the card. whatever you enter becomes your PIN for all future purchases.

Last edited:
You think that’s bad? My store is in an indoor shopping center and has a parking garage with six levels. Carts everywhere. I had to fill in for the cart attendant once and it was torture.
I will pray for your CA's soul. I will complain less about my job outside now.

I had them a LOT over at Starbucks.
They'd be yakking away then lean over & try to order in this loud stage-whisper before going back to their call & apologizing to the person they're talking to while continuing to ignore me.
That's when I decide it's time to grind coffee. On coarse grind.

I had them a LOT over at Starbucks.
They'd be yakking away then lean over & try to order in this loud stage-whisper before going back to their call & apologizing to the person they're talking to while continuing to ignore me.
That's when I decide it's time to grind coffee. On coarse grind.
exactly! in my opinion if you have no respect for the person who is serving you or ringing you out than you wont get the best service I can give you. I also prolong the transaction just a little by not pushing "total" right away... :D I know I might be childish at times but it feels good to say "Fuck you" without really saying it. :D

My peeve: guests at the cafe who refuse to step in front of the register, but instead stand 5 feet down the counter, speak as softly as possible (then get pissed off when you have to say "I'm sorry?" 10 times over the din of all the motors running), and then hand their handful of change over the damn hotdog steamer (which I'm not supposed to accept because it could burn them but, again, they won't effing MOVE!!!). Like, Jesus H people, you see me using this effing register screen to ring up your order, STEP OVER HERE FFS!!!!!! You have to be a complete and utter moron (or just incredibly rude) to see that and still make me come down the counter 5 times.

Also: "I can get a hotdog." Yeah, you can-------how about you ask for one now? Better yet, say "MAY I PLEASE have a hotdog." I can handle stupid, but rude gets under my skin. Assholes.

Peeves:

1. I don't mind that you're calling to see if we have something in stock, but for gods sake know what the fuck you are actually looking for. We sell like 20 different doc McStuffins play sets. Give me the actual name, DCPI, or something. (This does not apply to the Star Shower. If you are calling for that go die.)

2. Guests that hang up on me when I tell them I can put them on hold to check on something. I even remind them it is busy season, and that I haven't forgotten about then when it rings back. This is even better when a team member gets back to you on the item and you have to say never mind.

3. Letting kids destroy the store. Watch yo damn kids!

4. Half drunk Starbucks cups hidden everywhere. Bonus if you didn't find them the day before and they have rotten milk stink.

1. Guests who don't even say hi back when you say hi to them

2. Guests who want me to call every store even though I physically showed them on the my device that all stores are out of stock

3. Guests that want to know exactly when a truck is coming and when exactly the items will be on the floor

4. Guests who keep asking about pie face

5. Guests who look at me stupid when I say I don't have a key let me call someone over that does when I was just walking through electronics

6. Guests who throw crap in my reshop cart because I'm "putting stuff away anyways"

7. Guests who stand there and keep looking back when you have a flat you're trying to take back but won't move their ass

8. Guests who throw cash on the moving belt at the lanes and complain when their money gets sucked in

9. Guests who have the attention span of a thumbtack "the belt is broken can you push your items down please" OK or don't I'll just walk around while you stare at me no worries. *go go gadget arm*

10. Guests who crop dust the aisles

11. Guests who get mad that the natural peanut butter isn't in a fridge

12. Guests who get mad when you don't speak their language

13. Guests who want you to price check everthing before checking them out

14. Guests who order the wrong stuff and then get mad at the flexi TM that pulled it. Sorry assclown, we pulled what you ordered.

Last edited:
Back