The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

THIS! I had a guest bring in their bank statement and was confused when I was like yeah I can’t use this. Luckily they had the card but I mean like???? Your bank statement, assuming you didn’t photoshop it, just tells me you made a purchase here. It doesn’t tell me what that purchase was.
I can kinda understand the confusion though. Each credit/debit card transaction has a unique number attached to it (authorization code), and when given the date, time and authorization code a business can match it to the sale that the card paid for. Some bank statements list that number as part of the account transaction list. However, not everyone in every business can pull up the sale with only that information, and that is the mistake guests are making. The accountants at corporate could do it, though they'd probably find every reason not to due to sheer volume of transactions they'd be wading through, but the poor suffering souls at GS can't. Likely, the guests have been trained by some business like their cable company that the authorization code is the golden piece of information for finding a transaction, and they don't realize that while paying by card is the same at their end, what happens to that data once the card enters the machine is never the same between businesses.

I've probably already said it but I'll say it again, I hate when guests think that it's appropriate to walk in front of you to "force" you to stop and help them. Stepping in front of a panicked FFTM running with a three-tier that has an OPU that's 5min from hitting goal, or in front of a skid of infant furniture being dragged through the store, is not a smart move. :rolleyes:

One of the most annoying things guests do is when they ask you for something but there not near you or looking at you.
Then when you ask if they need help they get all pissed saying they were asking you a question all this time. Like damn lady if you needed help you could at least made eye contact or something
Even if i manage to hear these guests I ignore them until they actually approach me and make eye contact or say something direct. That's a level of being demeaned to I won't tolerate.

If they're really really close I forgive them, but more than an aisle width's away I'll just be pretending I couldn't hear that til it comes with something resembling an "excuse me"..

Sometimes the pictures don't show what you need to actually see. Like the controls on the back or bottom of an alarm clock because now the manufacturers don't want any of that stuff visible for some reason.

But yes, opening one and then buying a sealed one does drive me bonkers. The only potential justification I can think of is if it's a gift.

Sometimes the pictures don't show what you need to actually see. Like the controls on the back or bottom of an alarm clock because now the manufacturers don't want any of that stuff visible for some reason.
That doesn't explain underwear and socks. You have a picture, you can touch the material, what else do you need??? Some packages are ziplock, what need is there to tear those???

Oh my god waaaaay to many things
1. guests that leave whatever they don’t want shoved onto a small beauty shelf that messes up all the mascaras and knocks them down. yesterday i found a huge pack of paper plates
2. guests that see my beauty cart from the truck and try to pull items out of it, especially the christmas ones we can’t sell until 11/4
3. when guests open nail polish and try it on. and when i say they can’t open it until they buy it because of obvious reasons, they get mad at me
4. guests that leave empty packages back on the shelf. like you might as well steal the entire item because now ap can watch the cameras depending on when the tm found it
5. when i go to pull something for them from the back and ask them to stay there, then i come back with the item and they’re nowhere to be found
6. once i found a half eaten cupcake in the toothpaste aisle. i guess they saw the oral care and decided not to finish.
7. when i’m off the clock and have my backpack on and name tag off while shopping, and someone still tries to ask me questions
8. (this is a team member thing) when people backstock HBO1 and HBO2 in the COSM aisle when we already have limited space and all this christmas stuff is coming in
9. when a guest claims they saw something in stock online, and i scan it with the zebra and it says 0 on floor and 0 in back and they still demand the item. am i supposed to
make it appear out of thin air?

3. when guests open nail polish and try it on. and when i say they can’t open it until they buy it because of obvious reasons, they get mad at me

I feel your pain. "Why can't I try on underwear? I'll leave my underwear on underneath, so what's the big deal? How am I supposed to know if it fits without trying it on?"

7. when i’m off the clock and have my backpack on and name tag off while shopping, and someone still tries to ask me questions

When a red shirt is unavoidable I just say "I'm sorry, I'm off the clock, but if you go to GS you can get help" and then keep on walking without waiting for a response. Mostly these days though I wear an outerwear tank top under my work shirt and simply remove my work shirt and shop in the tank top.

9. when a guest claims they saw something in stock online, and i scan it with the zebra and it says 0 on floor and 0 in back and they still demand the item. am i supposed to
make it appear out of thin air?

I tell the person that it could be an issue that the tag (packaging) got separated from the item and the electronic tag is still telling the computer the long gone inventory is still here, or that the item could be in another guest's cart at that moment, or it's been purchased today and the computer hasn't caught up. No one has protested beyond that because I have offered reasonable explanations for why target.com has incorrect information.

“I want this top but it’s missing its tag so I brought this one up that’s a totally different size to scan instead.”

And this is why our online inventory is screwed up. If you scan the tag for that large top but take the size small home our inventory will say we still have a small in stock. How can you not understand that basic concept? Guests do this with the sodas at sco also. They scan the Pepsi 4 times even though they have two Pepsi, a ginger ale and a Rootbeer.

“I want this top but it’s missing its tag so I brought this one up that’s a totally different size to scan instead.”

And this is why our online inventory is screwed up. If you scan the tag for that large top but take the size small home our inventory will say we still have a small in stock. How can you not understand that basic concept? Guests do this with the sodas at sco also. They scan the Pepsi 4 times even though they have two Pepsi, a ginger ale and a Rootbeer.

Also this messes up returns as well because we're gonna go for the number on the item if it's a Target brand. If not then easiest way is to use Zebra, but we'll pause when we realize sizes aren't jiving

That guest on the phone:

Me: Thank you for calling Target, how may I help you?
Guest: I wanted to check and see if you have costume in stock.
Me: Which costume can I help you find?
Guest: (proceeds to give me the dpci)
Me: (looks up dpci) Give me a moment and I'll see if we have that costume.

So I put the guest on hold, got someone in Hardlines to walk over to seasonal to see if we have said costume. I am told we have four.

Me: Ma'am are you still there?
Guest: Yes
Me: We have four of those costumes on the floor in the size you indicated.
Guest: Can you check another costume for me?

So I have to get back on the walkie and call that hardlines TM to go back to seasonal. We check for second costume and find we have one or two and BEFORE I can get off the phone ...

Guest: Can you check one more costume for me?

Srsly? At this point the hardlines TM informs me (guest is on hold) that she will stay in seasonal until the guest releases us both. *sigh* And after all that she wants me to put it on hold and I explain to her our hold policy and tell her holds can only be placed online and she tells me she tried and I apologize and inform her that it's because it is the night of Halloween and it is a first come first serve basis......... I wanted to reach through the phone at that point and strangle her.

I cannot stand guests who proceed to give you a laundry list of items they want checked ONE at a time. -_-

If a guest asks me to search a specific DPCI that they've taken the time to write down, I always ask if they're a TM or former TM and the answer is yes 98% of the time

I cannot stand guests who proceed to give you a laundry list of items they want checked ONE at a time. -_-

Two is okay. Three is where I use every bit of southern charm I absorbed while living in that hellish area and nicely tell them that due to the length of their list it would be best if they came in personally to look at the options so that we can provide them with the best guest service possible, and I repeat it over and over and over as answers to any further comments or questions until they give up.

If a guest asks me to search a specific DPCI that they've taken the time to write down, I always ask if they're a TM or former TM and the answer is yes 98% of the time

I've shown guests how to give us the DPCI by mistaking them for other stores calling, based on how they start the conversation (eg. sounding just knowledgeable enough about a specific item, and saying they were at store X). I figure I'm doing them a service with this information, and then I actually get them a useful answer. Even though we're not supposed to go into "Target jargon" with guests.

A guest dragged out a bunch of baby bouncer and walker boxes into the aisle space, 5 total. Would have simply been annoying but the day before another guest dragged out 9 boxes, everything from bouncers to bassinets to travel systems, and moved them all over hell's half acre. It was not fun carrying a 45 lb box several 4 ft sections to put it back where it belonged. Guests also take the display strollers off the shelf and leave them. Some even take the display car seats and carry them over to the display strollers and try to fit them together, ignoring "display only". I've even had to tell a few guests to not put their children in the display equipment, they don't seem to care about "display only" and how that means not built for safety, potentially dangerous to a child placed in it, and not fully functional.

2 feral cats in our pfresh department. literally saw an old lady bringing them in and petting them in her cart as she touches fruits, and vegetables in my department just last week. I'm like.. i am not getting paid enough to bitch at this lady. Continues to push the 5 pallets of dairy that needs to be done ASAP.

Guests who try to throw their shit on the conveyor belt when my check lane light is off and I'm already finishing my last transaction before I gotta head to break/lunch. I'm closed. Go to the check lanes with their lights on or SC.

I'm gonna keep it 100 with you buddy, I'm booking it if my 5th is right around the corner and I wouldn't bat an eyelash to your ungodly screeching of complaints

Last edited:
Back