The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

I've had questions regarding both. I don't get why those people don't just research that stuff on their own ahead of time. Or why they think the first person they see at Target is going to be a car seat guru.
But then it shouldn't surprise me I guess, after having one dude ask me about a breast pump his wife sent him to buy... his response to me knowing nothing about them was "but you're a woman, don't you know this stuff?"
I just try to stay away from the baby department. Too many people I feel like smacking upside the head over there.

My #1 is ...When I'm on break, my name tag is off (Only because management says we must take it off, not b'cause it makes a difference), I'm on my cell phone, and a guest asks if I could help them. WTH?!
2. When guest are mad that they only have the sco to use in the morning, they go to service counter and THROW their items so someone will ring it up. Not nice
3. This should really be up there with the #1's!...... When guests start to over talk you and get loud assuming getting loud means getting what they want, discounts and all.
4. When you tell a guest the policy because you can't do what they want and they ask where it is written? We will always find the policy for you, or make you wait forever while looking for it.

Had a guest yell at me and say, "Haven't you heard that customers are always right?!" I said, yes mam I have, but we don't have customers in our stores we have guests. :)

My #1 is ...When I'm on break, my name tag is off (Only because management says we must take it off, not b'cause it makes a difference), I'm on my cell phone, and a guest asks if I could help them. WTH?!
Yeah, the name tag being off means nothing. Even if you put a coat on or something you still get stopped. Which reminds me of another rant...
I was heading to punch back in from lunch one time... this was during remodel and the office area was closed off so the only time clock we had was in the back. I had a different colored sweater on, name tag off, purse in hand, bottle of soda in hand... could not have been more obvious I wasn't currently working. And this asshole standing by electronics spots me and calls out "hey you, come here, I need help, why isn't anyone working over here?" I said sorry, I'm on lunch, not sure where electronics person was, etc. (Turned out they were in the back getting help grabbing a large TV for another guest) So he yells "can we GET someone over here?!" I told the guy, again, I was still on lunch but I'd send someone over as soon as I could. "Oh yeah, you just go on and enjoy your break there!" he hollered back.
I didn't send him any help, nor did I go back to help him. Five minutes later, page comes over the walkie calling for an LOD to electronics. I stopped the LOD on their way over and told them about the rude guest so they'd hear what actually happened.

I've had questions regarding both. I don't get why those people don't just research that stuff on their own ahead of time. Or why they think the first person they see at Target is going to be a car seat guru.
But then it shouldn't surprise me I guess, after having one dude ask me about a breast pump his wife sent him to buy... his response to me knowing nothing about them was "but you're a woman, don't you know this stuff?"
I just try to stay away from the baby department. Too many people I feel like smacking upside the head over there.
One person actually asked me if I knew anything about the medicine over there...and had the nerve to be upset when I told them I didn't, even though they found me in the shoe department.

There's never anyone in that zone that can help guests and it sucks, some older TMs still call softlines team members to help over there, that hasn't been considered a soft lines zone in years.

There's never anyone in that zone that can help guests and it sucks, some older TMs still call softlines team members to help over there, that hasn't been considered a soft lines zone in years.
Our baby person is great with helping over there, but they are super part-time. Nobody else is over there to answer questions when they aren't.
I asked them if they got a lot of car seat questions and they said they do, and their response to the guests is that they have to read the directions cause they are all different. Apparently, there's also somewhere you can go in our city where someone will check to see if you have your car seat installed properly, so they tell them about that too.

As for the medicine... um, why don't they discuss it with their kid's doctor if they have questions instead of expecting a random retail employee to know about it?

As for the medicine... um, why don't they discuss it with their kid's doctor if they have questions instead of expecting a random retail employee to know about it?

A lot of the stuff is identical to the stuff in the pharmacy area, just different dosage strengths and different non-active ingredients. And it is worth asking general questions as just about everyone has used Tylenol or baby oil at some point. One woman wanted cleaning wipes safe to use on her baby's toys, not rocket science to suggest pacifier wipes or breast pump cleaning wipes since those are meant for things that go in babies' mouths.

Used to be the fire depts in our city would check to see if your kid's seat was properly installed.

Guests come in the store claiming the team member on the phone said a sale item would be held when the team member said it couldn't be. Guests claim the team member said an open airbed could be returned when the team member said it couldn't. Walking someone through car seat installation is a very nasty can of legal worms to open. And what if the team member got it wrong? What if the parent misheard? What if a child dies because of a mistake?

Beyond that, I don't know who has kids young enough for a car seat. Other team members' personal lives is not my business, so I wouldn't know who to put on the phone.

Usually your local police and fire departments are happy to set up car seats.

A lot of the stuff is identical to the stuff in the pharmacy area, just different dosage strengths and different non-active ingredients. And it is worth asking general questions as just about everyone has used Tylenol or baby oil at some point. One woman wanted cleaning wipes safe to use on her baby's toys, not rocket science to suggest pacifier wipes or breast pump cleaning wipes since those are meant for things that go in babies' mouths.

I wouldn't have thought of those options to be honest. Or, the guest could read the package. Other than to hold Karen's hand there really be isn't any reason the guest can't/shouldn't read the package herself.

That lady wasn't a Karen. She wanted something to clean toys that was safe for babies. She was looking for disinfectant wipes. Thinking of wipes that clean pacifiers or breast pumps is problem solving by someone who knows store inventory and considers that babies chew on toys.

That lady wasn't a Karen. She wanted something to clean toys that was safe for babies. She was looking for disinfectant wipes. Thinking of wipes that clean pacifiers or breast pumps is problem solving by someone who knows store inventory and considers that babies chew on toys.

Like I said, I wouldn't have thought of those options.

People coming to Guest Service for a gift card. Then they have the audacity to roll their eyes at me when I tell them I only have our generic promo ones here. The registers are like... 5 feet away Karen.
I always say “I have these kinda lame flimsy ones here or you can go to the lanes and grab a real one” usually they just take my flimsy one. Technically though those are ONLY for free GC promos and returns, they’re not supposed to be outright sold... but there’s nothing stopping you from selling it like normal

People coming to Guest Service for a gift card. Then they have the audacity to roll their eyes at me when I tell them I only have our generic promo ones here. The registers are like... 5 feet away Karen.
We keep a small amount of various GC at our service desk for this reason. If they don’t like what we have I tell them they can go to a checklane.

Lucky you! Softlines still owns it in my store - would love to get that monkey off our backs.

As a cart attendant when I worked at target I hate it when guest leave the restrooms messy specially when the smell is really bad as we don't even get spray to hide smell or face mask to stop smell,almost threw up from smells

Not sure which thread to post this on. But I really can’t handle guests anymore. I feel like I go to work every day just to be bullied. The guests have gotten so mean. Every day I’m called stupid, worthless, incompetent, etc. I’ve had to go home early multiple times because I’ll have anxiety attacks and throw up because i just feel like I’m being berated the entire time I’m there. I have no self esteem anymore I feel like every single thing I do is wrong and not good enough. I can’t ever make anyone happy or do anything right it seems. I cry myself to sleep because I don’t want to go to work so bad in the mornings. I cry on the way there because I don’t want to go. I hate every single second I spend there. I don’t know what to do or to handle this because I’ll try to have a good day and it just happens again. Today a man looked me in the eyes and called me a useless piece of shit because I couldn’t find the DPCI for the shoes he was buying that didn’t have a tag. It takes EVERYTHING in me to not just walk out every. single. day. I really can’t do it anymore but I can’t quit because I have bills and if I get another job it’ll just be doing the same thing somewhere else. Right now I’m almost in tears because I just got home but I’m clopening so I can’t even relax after the day I had I have to go right back tomorrow and relive it. Idk what to do. I also feel like I’m just being a baby like wow I can’t even handle the most basic of jobs out there how am I going to do anything. I just want a job where I just do tasks and I don’t have to talk to anyone

Pet peeves:
  • Guests who open our foldable chairs (the ones that require pushing the lever), sit in them for a while, block traffic in our main aisles, and leave them out there. If I were buying that chair, I wouldn’t like the idea that someone’s bum was on it for a prolonged period of time.
  • Cups from Starbucks or Costco food court sitting in the aisles. I know that’s a common gripe, but that one makes me run for the nearest sink to wash my hands right away after disposing of them. Also, finding opened, consumed, and not purchased beverage containers (that we sell) at some random location in the store on some faraway shelf.
  • Abandoned carts or baskets, especially full of left behind would-be purchases. I hate finding them so close to the end of a closing shift.

Back