Archived The Transfer Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

catrainer

Hi. I am planning on transferring to another store for next year starting in like August. How soon should I start the transfer process and I guess the most important question is, what is the transfer process. I know I already have my store's blessing!

Not anytime soon. Technically you can transfer prior to the creation of the schedule. But you probably want to inform your store within a month or two at most. Just talk to your HR about the process.

It depends on the store you are trying to transfer to. If it is a busy store then I would start the process in July like the 1st or second week. If it is a slow store and they have an ETL HR that gets stuff done quickly then I would do like the 2nd or 3rd week of July. It also depends on your ETL HR as well. I started my transfer process on like the 2nd week of August and I was transferring from a slow store to a really busy store so it took my old ETL HR like a week or two to get in contact with my new ETL HR to start the transfer process. And my transfer wasn't complete until like the September 14th. Then after the transfer is complete you have to wait for the new store to put you on the schedule so it will take some time for the whole process to complete. It truly depends on the ETL HRs at both stores. They will determine how long your transfer will take.
The transfer process starts on the eHR website I believe. I believe you have to click on career opportunities and then find the store you want to transfer to. You have to apply for the position you currently have and it has to be open at that store. Once you fill out the application it will send an email to ETL HR that you applied to a different store then your ETL HR will either approve your application or deny it. If it is approved the ETL HR at the store you transferred to will get an email. Once they see you applied they should give you call if not then you need to tell your ETL HR and he/she will contact the store for you. Once that happens then the new store should call you. They might ask you to come to a "Meet and Greet" type interview where they ask you what position you currently have and why you want to come to there store etc. When the new store accepts you they will send an email to your ETL HR to release you from your current target. Once your ETL HR does that the transfer will be complete and you will just have to wait for the new store to put you on the schedule. This is why transferring really depends on the ETL HRs.

Actually very curious, why is it that you aren't allowed to transfer to another store and learn a new position there? They'd have to teach someone new if hiring someone off the street, so why are you only allowed to apply for positions you already are trained for when transferring?

Actually very curious, why is it that you aren't allowed to transfer to another store and learn a new position there? They'd have to teach someone new if hiring someone off the street, so why are you only allowed to apply for positions you already are trained for when transferring?
I think you can apply for other positions however you will have to interview for it. It will also depend on your ETL HR if she will approve you for that position. They won't send someone if they don't think they are capable of doing the position at there own store.

Any other positions would be fine. I am trained/capable at most positions in the entire store!

Any other positions would be fine. I am trained/capable at most positions in the entire store!
Just check with your ETL HR to make sure because I could be wrong. I think you have to be fully trained in that position before you can transfer i think but i could be wrong.

Depends on the needs of the other store. I was able to transfer to a different store, and they trained me for a position I hadn't been officially trained for, since they were hiring for that position.

Your mileage may vary.

Just check with your ETL HR to make sure because I could be wrong. I think you have to be fully trained in that position before you can transfer i think but i could be wrong.
Not necessarily. It all depends on a TMs experience and years of service, and the discretion and needs of the new store. Training a transfer can be offered if the need to fill the position is needed. Then again, I have seen stores just outright hire externals over internals.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. It all depends on a TMs experience and years of service, and the digression and needs of the new store. Training a transfer can be offered if the need to fill the position is needed. Then again, I have seen stores just outright hire externals over internals.

That was what bugs me, I figure if an AP position opens up at another store for example I should be able to apply for it. Am I trained for it? Nope. but is that external trained for it? Nope. Why train an external rather than allow an internal to transfer that requires training?

Figured I'd reply to this thread with my own inquiry. I just applied via eHR for a GSA position at another store in town. I have yet to speak to any of my leaders (with the exception of my own store's GSA), but I do plan on talking to all the relevant people ASAP. What are my chances of landing an interview with the other store, and how can I improve my odds?

I'm a currently a cashier at my store but would love to train for GSA.

Hopefully, you are great & master your current job. Also, you need to go past your 90 days, if you are a new hire. Have you learn any other work areas yet?

Last edited:
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to know Starbucks, but none of our GSA's or the GSTL do (unless we count two TL's that work in SB that were previously GSA's and still work GSTL shifts occasionally).

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to know Starbucks, but none of our GSA's or the GSTL do (unless we count two TL's that work in SB that were previously GSA's and still work GSTL shifts occasionally).

This. At least get to know the register interfaces in those areas in case they ever have problems that require your help.

Never rang up an order at Starbucks, but I'm fairly sure I could with little hassle, looks very similar to FA's (which I often cover breaks for). The entirety of my starbucks register use though thus far has been delivering change and adding it when they request it, just enough to notice its similarities to the FA setup.

This. At least get to know the register interfaces in those areas in case they ever have problems that require your help.

My current store doesn't have a Starbucks, but the one I'm applying to does. I suppose they'd have to train me on that, too!

All the more reason I'm unlikely to land the interview. At least I tried, though. :)

Nah, totally unnecessary for GSA's to be Starbucks trained. It's perhaps a bonus, but by no means something they likely expect.

Well, I guess I'm just playing the waiting game at this point. I'd kill to just land an interview.

Never rang up an order at Starbucks, but I'm fairly sure I could with little hassle, looks very similar to FA's (which I often cover breaks for). The entirety of my starbucks register use though thus far has been delivering change and adding it when they request it, just enough to notice its similarities to the FA setup.

Yeh, try navigating thru the SB menu....lol
So many options; so little time.

Can anyone tell me if it would be frowned upon for me to contact the ETL-GE or HR of the store that I applied (internally) for GSA at, to "check up" on my application and formally introduce myself so they get a first impression of me?

Can anyone tell me if it would be frowned upon for me to contact the ETL-GE or HR of the store that I applied (internally) for GSA at, to "check up" on my application and formally introduce myself so they get a first impression of me?
I think that it would be perfectly acceptable.

Yeh, try navigating thru the SB menu....lol
So many options; so little time.

I can do it if the Sbtm is a veteran back there and can tell me where to find the odd stuff without looking. Then they can say it and I can punch it in.

Make sure your STL knows and approves. I was a pharmacy tech and had total transfer and performance approval from my head pharmacist and team lead and my crappy STL stepped in at the very last minute and wouldn't let me go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back