Archived Time and a half question about total hours in a week

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 24
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

July 4th is coming up and it's time and a half for that day. I've always been told that a time and a half day doesn't count toward your total hours for the week. Does that mean you can pad your total hours week with vacation hours? If you are scheduled for 35 hours and one of the days is on July 4th, can you add vacation time to your total hours for the week? I'm probably making it more complex than it is. I'm scheduled for 35 hours that week and 7 hours of the 35 are on July 4th. So can I add some hours to the 28 hours to push it to my average for the week in addition to the time and a half hours? 28 + 7 time and a half hours + 7 vacation hours? 42 hours in a week? Can you cheat the system? Can you get more than 40 hours that way?

The last time I put in for PH during a week that had a holiday, it wouldn't let me exceed my avg even tho one day was paid holiday (time & a half).

So it's a rip off. I'm only scheduled 35 that week and my average is like 36 and a half so I could add an hour and test my theory. That way I would be under the total average for the week.

Doesn't hurt to try, esp for that small amt.
My attempt was for a full shift but it got denied.

Your are really only scheduled 28 hrs for the week since July 4 is holiday payroll so technical you can but we work for target so no.

I just hate how corporate is so greedy and selfish when it comes to wages. That's probably the biggest gripe I have about retail. The workers are the life of the store yet they get paid shit.

9 bucks is shit. Your actual shit is probably worth more than 9 dollars. So yes you get paid less than shit at Target.

You can work up to 48 hours that week if you work on the holiday. You can only put in for vacation or personal holiday up to your average hours. The holiday hours do not count towards your regular hours worked, so even though it's paid at the same rate as overtime, holiday hours aren't classified as overtime. Those hours do, however, count towards your total hours worked for the week. So if you are working at least your average hours altogether during a holiday week, you can not use vacation or personal holiday to pad your paycheck. The only option to get a bigger paycheck during a holiday week is to work your average hours during all the "normal" days that week and also work the actual holiday.

What a shitty greedy system! :rolleyes:

You're trying to exceed your average hours in a week on a technicality. In your original post you asked if someone can "cheat the system".

Who's being greedy here?

If you want more money/larger pay check due to the holiday, pick up extra shift(s). That's an honest and fair way to exceed 40 hours that work week. You can go all the way up to 48 hours then.

I'm a minion who gets paid shitty wages. I don't give a a shit if it's cheating or whatever. If I can get away with it, I will do it.

And you're up against people who are pros at cheating so you shouldn't be surprised if they've figured out how to block every end-run we try.
At my store, only TLs are allowed to pick up enough hrs to go over 40 (with holiday pay).
Any TMs try it without an ETL's permission end up having a shift cut.

And you're up against people who are pros at cheating so you shouldn't be surprised if they've figured out how to block every end-run we try.
At my store, only TLs are allowed to pick up enough hrs to go over 40 (with holiday pay).
Any TMs try it without an ETL's permission end up having a shift cut.
That isn't just your store, it's all of target in general. All of retail in fact

Because of how ACA works, allowing non TLs or non FT tms to raise their average hours above 28 (I think) will cause target to be legally forced to carry insurance for that person. As a company, that's a huge expense and as such is the reason why hours are watched so closely.

It's nothing to do with ripping you off, just a corporation controlling cost of labor. It will literally be like that -everywhere- now in retail.

The day I leave Target for good will be the day I leave retail for good and forever young I wanna be forever younger. Do you really want to live forever? Forever and ever.

But yeah, parting ways with the leach that is retail will be the happiest day of my life. Why? Because I don't want to be asking stupid questions like this about vacation hours and my shitty wages for doing a job that a monkey can do. Yes, a real monkey could probably what backroom team members do. I just want some fucking normalcy and purpose. I want a Monday thru Friday routine so I can enjoy life and get to enjoy MY weekends. Weekends haven't been MINE since 2008.

That isn't just your store, it's all of target in general. All of retail in fact

Because of how ACA works, allowing non TLs or non FT tms to raise their average hours above 28 (I think) will cause target to be legally forced to carry insurance for that person. As a company, that's a huge expense and as such is the reason why hours are watched so closely.

It's nothing to do with ripping you off, just a corporation controlling cost of labor. It will literally be like that -everywhere- now in retail.
I have never once been told to schedule people less than 30 hours to ensure that they are not eligible for benefits. From a workload standpoint, it sometimes makes more sense to have more people on a shift working fewer hours each so you have more bodies. But generally speaking, I wouldn't be able to keep my top performers and most worthwhile TMs if they weren't getting enough hours to pay their bills or have insurance. Target also encourages cross training first before hiring for open positions to ensure that TMs are getting the hours they desire.

I have never once been told to schedule people less than 30 hours to ensure that they are not eligible for benefits. From a workload standpoint, it sometimes makes more sense to have more people on a shift working fewer hours each so you have more bodies. But generally speaking, I wouldn't be able to keep my top performers and most worthwhile TMs if they weren't getting enough hours to pay their bills or have insurance. Target also encourages cross training first before hiring for open positions to ensure that TMs are getting the hours they desire.

You aren't being told that, but I promise you, it's something that is true. If you are in a process workcenter, the mother likely you won't hear this, but in a sales based workcenter like sales floor or electronics, you will start seeing shifts pared. If your store isn't currently doing this, they most likely will be by the end of the year.

You aren't being told that, but I promise you, it's something that is true. If you are in a process workcenter, the mother likely you won't hear this, but in a sales based workcenter like sales floor or electronics, you will start seeing shifts pared. If your store isn't currently doing this, they most likely will be by the end of the year.
I do scheduling for sales floor teams. Not all of my TMs are getting full time hours. Most of them are probably averaging 20-30. The ones that are cross trained are getting 30-40. The problem is that we don't have as many sales floor hours as we did 5 years ago or even last year. You still need the same amount of closers, so everyone ends up getting less.

I tried letting myTime generate the schedule, but my ETLs didn't like myTime scheduling more mids and less actual closers (even though that's exactly what guest driven scheduling is all about) so I basically have to rewrite the schedule every week.

I'm really confused about the whole 40 hours per week...are part-time employees allowed to go over 30 hours ??? I always thought that it was 30 hours max otherwise they have to offer benefits....

Part-timers can go over 30 hrs, availability permitting.
It's just that if it happens too often, they're suddenly 'full-time'.
They get a packet during open enrollment & leadership gets nervous.

76008-open-fail-thanks-Obama-gif-x4sB.gif

Part-timers can go over 30 hrs, availability permitting.
It's just that if it happens too often, they're suddenly 'full-time'.
They get a packet during open enrollment & leadership gets nervous.

I can't see how store leadership cares if a TM is getting 30+ average hours a week. Maybe corporate cares, because that's added healthcare costs. If anything, I think leadership would be glad to have more full time TM's since they probably care about their job more than the guy that only works 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back