Time to pick up my Drive Up

my ETL yelled at me for not wearing the drive up jacket. my TL requisitioned me out a cheap plastic poncho, so I was wearing that. it didn’t look “brand” and she only req’d it out for me because I was “being difficult by not wearing the ones provided to us.” I never complained. I just didn’t put it on. I said, “I don’t really want to wear jackets that we’ve had for almost a year that everyone has worn without them being washed” and she told me I was being difficult for no reason and I get what I get.

I know for a fact she would die before putting on one of those gross jackets, but I guess that’s why you become an ETL that sits in the office all day.

And to add: I got in trouble for leaving a vest for myself to keep using. We’re not short on the vests. There were more than enough for everyone. After I kept one for myself, ETL moved all of them and now has left us with about 8 random ones that seriously smell and have been like legit wet from the sweat of certain people 🤮 it’s really fun here.

They aren't expensive. Because everyone complained about wearing a vest someone else had worn, we ordered enough for each advocate to have one. The are responsible for their own vest. If you go out for a drive up or to get carts without a vest, you WILL be asked where your vest is & WILL be written up for a safety violation so you better be sure if you take it home every day, you bring it back with you on your next scheduled day.

I want to give each on my TMs that do drive-up a vest that they would be responsible for (like their name tag.) That was a no. It’s disgusting that we have to wear the ones that other TMs have worn. We can be put on a corrective action for social distancing but we all have to share coats, jackets and vests.

Wait, people wear vests? Our APL tried getting us to wear them for a while, but she eventually gave up, mostly anyway. I saw her tell a flex member who was doing driveups to be sure to wear one, but like, she watches me do driveups all day every day and never says a word to me about it anymore. No one else that works in the front end wears them either.

Honestly, not wearing a vest is not less safe. The cars that are going to potentially hit you, aren't looking out their window at all. The issue isn't that you're not bright orange, it's that you aren't on the screen of their phone. It's very simple to not get hit by a car, don't walk in front of one that has the potential to hit you.

Does this person need to hit their brakes to avoid hitting you if you step out in front of them? Don't do so. It's that simple.

Last edited:
It isn’t about safety, it’s about liability. If something happens to you in the parking lot and you aren’t wearing that orange vest, Target will not help you with medical bills because YOU were not following safety policy.

It isn’t about safety, it’s about liability. If something happens to you in the parking lot and you aren’t wearing that orange vest, Target will not help you with medical bills because YOU were not following safety policy.

If I'm stupid enough to walk into traffic, I don't even deserve medical treatment, let alone for someone else to pay the bills for me.

Visibility always is helpful. A bright flash of color draws the eye. Anyone who's driven can attest that sometimes the eye is looking in the wrong area (and not necessarily a needless direction) and a flash of bright color in the peripheral vision catches your attention and pulls it from a different car or a different person. If you are worried the child on the right side is going to dart you will likely focus on the child and you may not see the TM on the left unless the TM is eye-catching.

Back