Archived Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we're not allowed to accept tips, it's retail we don't even get tips, but recently a lot of my team members and I have gotten tips from guests who we help out during carry out.

It's always awkward and we always say no it's fine, but guests insist and I guess my question is, do you guys think it's wrong? or can we get in trouble for the tip the guest gives us?

(i didnt know if this went in the lost thread or in this thread since it's not really a question that i need help with)

My go-to phrase was always, "I'm not allowed to accept tips." I had one lady who was so insistent that I told her I could get fired over it. Yes, you can get into trouble over accepting a tip, especially if someone in leadership dislikes you. I wouldn't recommend accepting tips while working at Target.

I wish it wasn't against policy. We wouldn't have to fight so much to get people to do the damn carry-outs, then.

My go-to phrase was always, "I'm not allowed to accept tips." I had one lady who was so insistent that I told her I could get fired over it. Yes, you can get into trouble over accepting a tip, especially if someone in leadership dislikes you. I wouldn't recommend accepting tips while working at Target.

I wish it wasn't against policy. We wouldn't have to fight so much to get people to do the damn carry-outs, then.

Whole lot easier to keep good baristas too.

I wish I could put out a tip jar in the cafe - I'd be rich.

On another note, I can't believe how many people say "keep the change." I can understand a few pennies, but I routinely see 50, 75 cents left on the table.. My register must be always over!

Anytime I had a guest insist in tipping me, I went to the LOD and reported it. Never now when SPOT is looking.

I accept tips after helping with a carry out, I would never expect one or think otherwise if not given though. Just a nice thank you that's very generous, and it is, it's not necessary for the guest to tip for helping carry-out. I wouldn't tell LOD or GSTL, it's none of their business.

I would always no and if they continued then I would take it. Not going to piss somebody off who is trying to be nice. As for the Target policy, when they start paying a decent wage then they can have a say in tips IMHO.

I always tell them to keep it, and if they're insistent I take it. Management doesn't care. They say as long as it's outside the store they're ok with it.

I only accepted a tip when I first started and carried a guest's groceries out for her because she asked. I didn't know what to do; I was confused so I just kept it.

I've been tipped 3 times. Each time, I initially told the person no. That gave the person an out and made it clear I wasn't expecting a tip.

But when I've just spent 20 minutes helping a woman load her car. Yeah, I'm keeping that $10.

I'm not convinced accepting a tip is a call for coaching/ca/ or termination. I'm not saying a specific supervisor might not do that.

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure it is a written rule.

Can anyone quote the specific rule?

I find it hard to believe that spot has a problem with employees accepting tips, but no problem with paying us so little. I could see them not wanting an executive to accept a gratuity, but a cart attendant?

I wish I could put out a tip jar in the cafe - I'd be rich.

On another note, I can't believe how many people say "keep the change." I can understand a few pennies, but I routinely see 50, 75 cents left on the table.. My register must be always over!
They don't count the coins. All the system will see is less change requests to your register if the left change is a significant amount.

Spot has an odd way of dealing with the registers, that's for sure.

I have been told coin gets audited once a month or once every 3 months, but I've never seen the "auditor" pop by.

I have been told coin gets audited once a month or once every 3 months, but I've never seen the "auditor" pop by.

Lol no. I have never audited the coin, I don't even know how to, and I know for sure that I'm the poor schmuck that would end up having to do it at my store. It's all done via computer monitoring and they have their own complicated algorithms to detect normal over/short vs. theft. There's just not enough hours in a day to balance all the registers to the penny.

At the stores I've worked, if you're seen accepting and keeping a tip, it's a documented coaching. If you do it twice, it's a term. We had one guy argue with the LOD and would not give up his tip. Insta-term, on the spot. If someone insists, accept the tip, call the LOD and hand it over. Is it really worth losing your job over $5?

Ironically this happened to me and I'm not even a cart attendant. Guest gave me $3 after I did a carryout. Afterwards I walked up to the LOD and told what happened. I had to put the money in the guest service register.

I would first say I'm paid properly for my work, please tip a server or someone who needs it.

If they insisted, i have accepted a bag of apples, a gift card for a nice restaurant and a bottle of Coke. Apples went in the break room, gift card went to my anniversary dinner and the Coke was nice and refreshing.

I had an empty basket after I'd sold out of fruit; I later discovered that guests were throwing tips in it assuming it was a tip basket. A rather tidy sum, I wanted to use it for a TM who needed a lunch but was told I had to put it in the register.
Thanks, spot. I'll remember that on my next review.

I did a carryout for a guest and she insisted on tipping me. I politely declined, to which she said "Well, I guess if I leave $10 in this cart, you'll have to accidentally find it" and crumpled up a 10 and threw it in the cart I had brought her furniture out on. She smiled at me and told me to get lunch with it... damn right I kept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back