To That One Guest - II

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they fit and that the person doesn't insist on getting help in removing the boxes so the individual pieces fit in the car.

If you're in that much of a rush then come into the store and get it.
Had a lady who did just that, she came in and got it herself...a full order of like 20 things...while someone was picking it for her simultaneously. So imagine everyone's surprise when she shows up up front and the person covering OPU comes up with an identical order. He had to scan, locate, and cancel the guest's whole order after she left. Total fiasco, just 'cause she decided to come in and shop 1min after placing her DU, and didnt bother cancelling it herself. 😂

TTOG: Thanks for being understanding when I told you I couldn't sell you the street dated merchandise until tomorrow. Better yet, thank you for explaining to your son in an appropriate manner, why he couldn't have the toy. I wish all parents could handle things the way you did.

TTOG: I don't think I've ever seen a *mom* out-tantrum their child, but you did. I have no idea what your kid was doing to annoy you, but clearly it was something. You spent the entire time yelling at your kid and then tossing your items at the scanner to scan them. Thanks for the free entertainment 😂
I didn't want to start another thread on this, but I had a similar situation with street dated merchandise, but the GSTL instructed me to use the no-barcode to get around that. I'm sure that Target would get in some kind of trouble for selling street dated merchandise before the sell-date, but my GSTL was desperate to please the guest so he wanted to get around the street date restriction.
It's been about a couple of weeks since then, so nothing has happened but I'm wondering if anyone else has done the same in this situation.

I didn't want to start another thread on this, but I had a similar situation with street dated merchandise, but the GSTL instructed me to use the no-barcode to get around that. I'm sure that Target would get in some kind of trouble for selling street dated merchandise before the sell-date, but my GSTL was desperate to please the guest so he wanted to get around the street date restriction.
It's been about a couple of weeks since then, so nothing has happened but I'm wondering if anyone else has done the same in this situation.
This is something I've seen various TL/ETLs try at certain points in my career with Spot. Long story short, the ones that choose to do this are generally not going to be with the company long for entirely separate reasons. Using the no barcode option is doubly bad, as well. Not only does it circumvent the street date, which is the larger issue, but it also messes with the counts on that item since we aren't tying a proper DPCI to the purchase.

This is something I've seen various TL/ETLs try at certain points in my career with Spot. Long story short, the ones that choose to do this are generally not going to be with the company long for entirely separate reasons. Using the no barcode option is doubly bad, as well. Not only does it circumvent the street date, which is the larger issue, but it also messes with the counts on that item since we aren't tying a proper DPCI to the purchase.
Well, doing this seems bad, but said GSTL (who is really an ETL but he is doubling as a GSTL because we only have three left) is probably not going to get in trouble. Mainly because like I said, there's been so many team members quitting that our store can't afford to get rid of anyone.

Well, doing this seems bad, but said GSTL (who is really an ETL but he is doubling as a GSTL because we only have three left) is probably not going to get in trouble. Mainly because like I said, there's been so many team members quitting that our store can't afford to get rid of anyone.
Unfortunately you're probably right. If you want to try and start changing the way the GSTL and others handle those situations, I might suggest going to your ETL (or simply a different ETL if yours is the one overriding street date) and simply ask them what the right way to handle street dated product making it to the register would be (not bringing up the GSTL's name in this). If they tell you the proper way (or anything resembling it) you could very well follow that up with mentioning that you had gotten a different answer from the other ETL and ask for clarification.
This both allows you to gauge first if anyone in your store would possibly do something to fix the issue as well as bringing the problem to their attention without directly blaming the GSTL or accusing them of anything.

Of course, if the ETL you ask says something to the same line of what the GSTL chose to do, simply thank them for the answer and move on.

TTOG, I appologized for our store only having one option for bible choices. You responded with, " I'm going to put this on Facebook." So, I responded again, "sorry, we are not a Christian book store, but I can give you directions if you would like." You then asked for my name and said I should not argue with "customers". Go be a "Christian" somewhere else.

TTOG: Yes, there was a line at the service desk. Yes, I was behind the desk not helping anyone. I was processing OPUs into hold. Did you not see me intentionally not make eye contact with you as you wandered up to the desk and stood in front of me? Did you not see me finish what I was doing and keep staring at my device before running out from behind the desk? No, you cannot get faster service by going over to SCO and asking a TM checking himself out on break to process your return because you are in a rush. Wait in line like everyone else, jackass.

TTOG: Yes, there was a line at the service desk. Yes, I was behind the desk not helping anyone. I was processing OPUs into hold. Did you not see me intentionally not make eye contact with you as you wandered up to the desk and stood in front of me? Did you not see me finish what I was doing and keep staring at my device before running out from behind the desk? No, you cannot get faster service by going over to SCO and asking a TM checking himself out on break to process your return because you are in a rush. Wait in line like everyone else, jackass.
This is why I ALWAYS say “I can help the next guest in line”. It’s just habit at this point but I always enforce the line, unless it’s a vendor who just needs the log book

View attachment 8407
What I feel like saying when someone demands I look something up on my device.

I don’t mind looking things up for guests. But when they say, “Why don’t you look that up on your little computer” or however else they might phrase it, it is irritating AF.
The Winning question from a guest today:
Guest : “Can you help me find something ?”
Me: absolutely, what are you looking for ?
Guest: “I was in here last week and saw a toy on clearance that I wanted but I wanted it to get marked down more so I HID IT , now I can’t find it, would you use your machine to tell me where it is ?”
Me: ???? Um, no. I have no idea where you hid it ?!?!?!
Would be funny if I made it up but it really happened, not funny.

The Winning question from a guest today:
Guest : “Can you help me find something ?”
Me: absolutely, what are you looking for ?
Guest: “I was in here last week and saw a toy on clearance that I wanted but I wanted it to get marked down more so I HID IT , now I can’t find it, would you use your machine to tell me where it is ?”
Me: ???? Um, no. I have no idea where you hid it ?!?!?!
Would be funny if I made it up but it really happened, not funny.

You can’t make that up. I can’t get over the guest doing that and then going through this thought process with you.

Last edited:
TTOG, I appologized for our store only having one option for bible choices. You responded with, " I'm going to put this on Facebook." So, I responded again, "sorry, we are not a Christian book store, but I can give you directions if you would like." You then asked for my name and said I should not argue with "customers". Go be a "Christian" somewhere else.
You should have looked at them all serious and said “is that what Jesus would do?”

Back