To that one guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a guest bitched at me for asking to scan her ID for alcohol:

Me: I'm sorry, but it's corporate policy, I can't override it without losing my job.

Guest: it is not corporate policy. (Nearest major grocery retail chain) and Walgreens have never scanned my id.

*facepalm* Really?
Actually, you don't have to scan it, you can manually punch in the DOB, but then you have to have a supervisor come override it, which takes longer than simply scanning it.(at least, we can do this for items that need ID in pharmacy, such as cold medicines and when I explain the alternative, they usually stop bitching).
Maybe someone should explain to her that "we're not ALL ONE COMPANY" because she's obviously one of those people who seem to think we are....we get calls in the pharmacy all the time from people who want us answer questions about a prescription they have filled at Walgreen's/CVS/etc. They don't realize we don't have access to their computer system!!!

I'm a GSA, I'm aware that all I have to do is type in the birth date on my numbers and it will go through. We do it for other products all the time. But my store has informed us if we do that for alcohol, we will be termed, end of discussion.

We were never told that. I personally just never hand keyed unless they were obviously 35 or older (without ID that is). As far as I'm aware this isn't in violation of any laws.

Otherwise if they had a valid form of ID that looked legit, I would also hand key.

No, it doesn't violate any laws to not scan it, but my store just chooses not to go down that path....especially because even if it looks legit, if it isn't, and the store gets caught, there could be serious consequences for the store. Scanning may be one of those best practice things corporate wants and not everyone does.

We have turned away a 82 year old man for a bottle of wine he said would last him a month. We have no exceptions everyone must have Id but then again we are only a few miles away from a major college.

We cannot scan in IDs anymore. I've been told it's due to our state's liquor laws changing. We just look at the license and type in the birth date.

I have seen other cashiers who have just taken an ID to scan and never looked at the photo... You could easily hand over a stolen ID. While scanning generally prevents illegal sales, it does have its downfalls.

We cannot scan in IDs anymore. I've been told it's due to our state's liquor laws changing. We just look at the license and type in the birth date.
This is actually the case in a few states and there are more laws on the table due to the increase in identity theft.
A couple cashiers told me today that the ETLs have been telling them to just key the information in for people who were concerned about the recent data breach if they were "obviously old enough" and they were just overriding it.

Guest put about 30 different mascaras, lip sticks, and makeup brushes in one of the hand basket towers, look at me full serious, and say "I don't even know why I picked these out, I only wear Clinique be a doll and put this stuff back. thanks" GAH! THIS is why I wish my unloads were overnight.

Guest put about 30 different mascaras, lip sticks, and makeup brushes in one of the hand basket towers, look at me full serious, and say "I don't even know why I picked these out, I only wear Clinique be a doll and put this stuff back. thanks" GAH! THIS is why I wish my unloads were overnight.

List of things I'm doing to my boss if I ever get fired: Take as much as I can off the shelves in cosmetics and leave it in carts around the store.

To that one guest, usually when I have nothing to do a Friday night I'll watch a movie, listen to music, text/FB message people, play a video game, etc. Not sure why your Friday night consisted of hanging out in electronics for two hours talking to whomever was near you or acknowledged you. I can't believe those teenagers put up with you, considering you talked to them for a good half hour.

If your stores won't allow you to Hand Key for a guest who looks 35 or older, something is wrong with your management! Either that or your supervisory team has proven to be highly incompetent.

If older guest does not have ID, you can just ask for their Date of birth (I usually just make one up -- but I have supervisor #s so it will just go through) and its not that huge of a deal, just need your GSTL to put their # in. A lot of older guests are insulted getting carded, especially elderly guests -- Is it really worth losing business over a silly rule?

To the guest who decided they needed some vodka while hanging out with the beanbags last night...really???? Nothing better to do on a Friday night?

If your stores won't allow you to Hand Key for a guest who looks 35 or older, something is wrong with your management! Either that or your supervisory team has proven to be highly incompetent.

If older guest does not have ID, you can just ask for their Date of birth (I usually just make one up -- but I have supervisor #s so it will just go through) and its not that huge of a deal, just need your GSTL to put their # in. A lot of older guests are insulted getting carded, especially elderly guests -- Is it really worth losing business over a silly rule?

Our store has had issues with carding people, not because of a store rule, but because of county laws. Our county requires ID from every customer purchasing alcohol in any retail store.

Edit to add: the county actually has "secret shoppers" come through with alcohol to ensure stores are following policy. ID has to be removed from wallet and handed to cashier as well.

Last edited:
Exactly. Some states, counties, or cities require ID every time regardless. If you get caught not carding, you will be fined in my state. Not to mention that the store can lose its liquor license. Carding is something guests need to get over. If you want to buy a legally age restricted item, then I'm going to need proof of your age. I don't necessarily need to scan your ID (I'll hand key your birthdate), but I'm not going to sell you alcohol without seeing your ID. The end.

Last edited:
Interesting, guess they're a bit more lenient around here. I didn't get carded once buying alcohol (I was 24 though)

We have to card everyone. If we just put in the birthdate, then we have to have the GSTL come over and override it, which obviously takes some time. It sucks asking people in their 70s for an ID, but i just smile and ask them real polite. It seems people get more offended that I have to card them for cold medicine, drano and computer duster rather than alcohol

People always get the most cranky for me when it comes to the M rated video games. Yes I get you're 18. I still need your ID please.

I don't card for those 3 last things unless they look very young. Interesting story : I was off-duty and came into work to shop. Two teens infront of me were acting all funny about something they had in their hand. At checkout, they were trying to buy cold medicine and one of my co-workers wouldn't sell it unless they showed their ID. Out of the store I heard them complaining about it and one said, 'Oh well, we didn't need it anyway Dude'. Pretty positive they were going to abuse it by the way they were acting. Hmm.

I was pretty sure the cold meds thing was to keep track of who is buying large amounts of cold medicine...the stuff with ephedrine anyway.

In my state it is just to check the DOB. When I lived in Missouri, they recorded your DL for cold medicine. Pretty much everything became over the counter too. Cut back on a lot of meth production/teen abuse. I think Missouri is no longer the Meth Capitol too now :)

The alcoholic bev comm in our state does tons of undercover stings & cashiers have been arrested on the spot for failing to card. A cashier who bragged that he didn't card anyone who 'looked old enough' was termed when they observed him failing to card for alcohol.
I had to refuse a wine sale to a 60-something woman because she didn't have her ID. Her daughter offered to buy but she said "Hell, no! Wait'll the girls at Bunco hear about this!"

I was pretty sure the cold meds thing was to keep track of who is buying large amounts of cold medicine...the stuff with ephedrine anyway.

When we ID for cold medicine at the lanes, it's only because the formula in question is age-restricted (e.g. NyQuil). Cold medicines with pseudoephedrine can only be sold in the pharmacy because they have to record the purchase in a database used to track methheads.

Yeah checklanes carding for cold medicine is because the product in question usually contains Dextromethorphan, which is for coughs. Also in high quantities can be abused in what's known as "robo-tripping."

Psuedoephedrine-containing products are as mrk said only sold by the pharmacy because of the Combat Methamphetamine Act of 2006. You can override the cough medicine ID scan, you can't override psuedo products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back