To that one guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the guest today who attempted to pull that standard coupon fraud bullshit with me: I have to admit, I enjoyed that the instant I started ~reading the coupons~, as well as pointing out that they don't match your items, you instantly started pulling them back off the mismatched items in the rest of your transaction and then told me you "changed your mind" on basket full of trial sized lotions. It was pretty amusing.

Further, it's likely you chose my lane because my appearance gives off an air of apathy, but I'm glad you did, because any other cashier probably would have let you slide.

I could've written this post. The couponers always come to me! I haaate cashiering so I usually look like I'm just rushing through it all when I'm up there (honestly, I am) so they assume I'll scan scan scan their coupons and just accept them all. I dislike coupon cheaters more than I dislike cashiering though. And I've had multiple couponers come in with baskets of trial sized items telling me how "the other target [they] went to yesterday" let them use those coupons for those items.
Then go BACK to "the other Target you went to yesterday and buy these" ;)

We get a lot of those. I hate those. And it makes me snicker when we don't have the item and the guest complains they made a trip for nothing. Umm...how about waiting for (or in some people's case actually reading) the second email!
we get a lot of this too. we also have a lot of TMs who don't know what they're doing and still get tasked with bringing up FF orders, so we get a LOT of lost items. I always have a brief moment of panic when a guest comes in and I can't find them in MyGO. and then you ask if they got the email that said it was ready, and they immediately whine that they didn't know they had to.

this does remind me of a guest we had yesterday though. yesterday, when everyone was already keyed up and working in a state of mild confusion since we closed for three hours in the middle of the day for a bomb threat. I was coming back from having gotten stuck at the service desk for 30 minutes to see one of my cashiers being accosted by a guest demanding to speak to the store manager. she did not want to speak to me, thankfully. after verifying that our STL was gone I called the LOD over and made myself scarce as quickly as I could because Holy Cow. I saw said LOD in the break room later and turns out this lady's issue was that she saw on .com that we had exactly one of the item she wanted left in stock, so she drove 40 minutes to come get it and we didn't actually have it.

did she call to place it on hold? no.
did she even call to check that we had it? no.
did she place a (FREE) FFA order for it, to make sure it would be claimed for her before she drove up? no.

the item in question was a pair of Frozen pajamas. like hell we're going to have those in stock the week before Christmas. she demanded that the LOD pull up .com on a computer - didn't want to see it on her myDevice, it had to be A COMPUTER. crowed that it showed one in stock. didn't seem to understand that just because it said we had one, that didn't mean it hadn't been stolen or wasn't walking around in someone else's cart on the floor. 'you expect me to believe that in 40 minutes it's no longer here?' well... yes. then she acted shocked when the LOD told her we don't update the stock levels online ourselves. demanded to know what we were going to do to make sure the item got to her house. um, sorry, absolutely nothing, the item is discontinued and out of stock online. and your excuse that you have a job and don't always have time to shop doesn't really mean anything because I'm pretty sure you had some point in the past two months where you could have sat down at your computer and ordered it, even as an in-store pickup. you can buy Christmas presents even when it isn't December. surprising, I know.
We had the same thing happen with an electric razor today. She saw it online earlier in the day and it said we had it in stock, but when she got to the store (after 7 pm), we were sold out. How can we POSSIBLY sell out of an item that's ON SALE WITH a gift card?!?!?! Gee, I don't know, maybe because it's 2 days before Christmas and people are shopping for gifts for their husbands/dads/grandfathers?!?!

TTOG: okay....let me get this straight....we're supposed to ASSUME you want us to fill the Rx your doctor sent TODAY, even though it was also filled elsewhere TODAY & you haven't filled with us in over a year, but we shouldn't ASSUME the doctor made a mistake in sending it to us "because you know what happens when people ASSUME things." I wish I would've had a picture of the look on your face when I told you "we don't ASSUME to know what you want us to do because we know what happens when people ASSUME things...." ;)

TTOG who bitched about me to another TM: Grow the hell up! I wasn't being rude or hateful to you, otherwise I'd have gotten my butt coached. All I told you was that I had no way of knowing if a pair of boots will go on clearance after Christmas. No one knows exactly when something will go on clearance except Corporate.

To that one guest who fancies herself a barista: Soy milk is extra. Doesn't matter if it's steamed or cold, it's extra.
Where you got this "it's not extra if it's cold, only steamed", I don't know but it doesn't fly.
If we splash a little in your coffee, we usually don't charge; but if you're asking for half your coffee to be filled with soy, you're paying extra.
Yeh, go ahead & call Starbux corp.
We'll wait.

[Q="Reshop Ninja, post: 161531, member: 11012"]TTOG who bitched about me to another TM: Grow the hell up! I wasn't being rude or hateful to you, otherwise I'd have gotten my butt coached. All I told you was that I had no way of knowing if a pair of boots will go on clearance after Christmas. No one knows exactly when something will go on clearance except Corporate.[/QUOTE]
I always tell those guests, and those who complain when it's not on clearance at my store but is at another store, that it's all determined by an algorithm that only the creator can figure out.

^I tell the people who saw it on clearance somewhere else that the clearance is determined by how well it's selling (seems that way in my observation because sometimes ugly colors of something go clearance before the others) and that maybe since the item is selling better at our store, that's why it's not on clearance.

To the guest today who attempted to pull that standard coupon fraud bullshit with me: I have to admit, I enjoyed that the instant I started ~reading the coupons~, as well as pointing out that they don't match your items, you instantly started pulling them back off the mismatched items in the rest of your transaction and then told me you "changed your mind" on basket full of trial sized lotions. It was pretty amusing.

Further, it's likely you chose my lane because my appearance gives off an air of apathy, but I'm glad you did, because any other cashier probably would have let you slide.

I could've written this post. The couponers always come to me! I haaate cashiering so I usually look like I'm just rushing through it all when I'm up there (honestly, I am) so they assume I'll scan scan scan their coupons and just accept them all. I dislike coupon cheaters more than I dislike cashiering though. And I've had multiple couponers come in with baskets of trial sized items telling me how "the other target [they] went to yesterday" let them use those coupons for those items.
Then go BACK to "the other Target you went to yesterday and buy these" ;)
Which is almost what I told a guest today who tried to tell me "the OTHER Target takes these coupons...." Well, WE don't so go to the OTHER Target and buy your PSE THERE WITH your expired coupon for a size we don't carry or buy it HERE with NO coupon, your choice....

TTOG who called the store to complain to me, THEN complained to guest service, THEN demanded to speak to a manager:

So you got home, realized you didn't get a receipt, and now you're convinced that the cashier could've overcharged you for those gift cards you bought. First of all, calm the fuck down. People forget their receipts all the time. It probably wasn't even the cashier's fault. Second of all, instead of calling us to ask that we get an AP to go through our security tapes and look up the transaction in our system when you can't even remember WHICH LANE you were on, why don't you just take a few seconds to go online and look up your bank account balance? Then you'll know exactly whether you've been overcharged or not. And I'm just going to go out on a limb here and guess you were not overcharged, you just forgot your receipt.

Last edited:
TTOG that saw your two year old son (guestimating on his age) standing in the doorway to the fixture room:

You might think its cute to ignore him and say " Okay I'm leaving without you!", playfully. Then walk around the corner to check out more Christmas clearance. Just then your son darts into the fixture room and starts pulling pegs out of bins. Luckily I was near by and stopped him from climbing up the ladder in there, but because he was prevented from doing what he wanted and I tried guiding him out (without actually touching him of course), he decided to scream at the top of his lungs and throw himself to the ground. You then come running into the fixture room asking what is wrong, asking what I did to him, and calling me every name in the book. What should I have done? Perhaps let him fall off the ladder? Or maybe, let him continue pulling stuff off of shelves and have fixtures fall on top of him because we all know how those rooms are set up....? Some people just shouldn't be allowed to be responsible for children.

TTOG that saw your two year old son (guestimating on his age) standing in the doorway to the fixture room:

You might think its cute to ignore him and say " Okay I'm leaving without you!", playfully. Then walk around the corner to check out more Christmas clearance. Just then your son darts into the fixture room and starts pulling pegs out of bins. Luckily I was near by and stopped him from climbing up the ladder in there, but because he was prevented from doing what he wanted and I tried guiding him out (without actually touching him of course), he decided to scream at the top of his lungs and throw himself to the ground. You then come running into the fixture room asking what is wrong, asking what I did to him, and calling me every name in the book. What should I have done? Perhaps let him fall off the ladder? Or maybe, let him continue pulling stuff off of shelves and have fixtures fall on top of him because we all know how those rooms are set up....? Some people just shouldn't be allowed to be responsible for children.

On one hand the parent didn't know the kid was about to walk into what amounts to one of the more dangerous rooms in the damned store.
On the other at what point does a parent let their kid walk into the back area of a store without promptly going and getting them!
You are so right, that is stupid on so many levels it's appalling.
Then to yell at someone who is trying to get your child out of there makes it even worse.
What if someone had run over him with a pallet because they didn't expect a small child laying on the floor?
Just amazing.

Last edited:
So you bring it in and demand we page the person (which we don't do)

Really? Why not just simply page the person? There's a 50/50 chance the person is in the store.

Corporate policy is we don't page. The GSTL was willing to override me and go to the fitting room, but she was stopped by the rests of the LOD posse who said no. Honestly, anytime we have ever paged a person to come to guest services, they never come. Never. Not once.

In the end, the guest stopped another TM who asked if anyone had found the wallet. The guest then came up and claimed it from me.

My family couldn't decide if the original guest really thought I would steal it or if she was fishing for a reward.

TTOG: why do you argue me about our return policy, but then completely roll over as soon as the GSTL tells you the EXACT. SAME. THING.

TTOG: why do you argue me about our return policy, but then completely roll over as soon as the GSTL tells you the EXACT. SAME. THING.

It's called "Perception of Management" and the property states that some retail customers will take what a manager says much more seriously than what a non-manager says, even if they're the exact same thing. This is called the "perception" of management because the customer doesn't always get who the manager is correctly, and may mistakenly believe a TM over a TL+.

Some stores use perception of management to diffuse hostile situations without having an actual manager. The TPS' at my store are authorized to say "I'm the manager" if asked but cannot declare it, so if GS calls over a manager but needs AP, AP shows up and plays manager to remove the person.

It can lead to some bad situations, and some funny situations, like the guest today;

TTOG: if my LOD says they are the manager, don't turn around and ask me because "you look like a manager"
By the way, the look on your face when I said "I don't know, miss. (LOD), you run this department, do you know?" Was absolutely priceless.

Last edited:

It's called "Perception of Management" and the property states that some retail customers will take what a manager says much more seriously than what a non-manager says, even if they're the exact same thing. This is called the "perception" of management because the customer doesn't always get who the manager is correctly, and may mistakenly believe a TM over a TL+.

Some stores use perception of management to diffuse hostile situations without having an actual manager. The TPS' at my store are authorized to say "I'm the manager" if asked but cannot declare it, so if GS calls over a manager but needs AP, AP shows up and plays manager to remove the person.

It can lead to some bad situations, and some funny situations, like the guest today;

TTOG: if my LOD says they are the manager, don't turn around and ask me because "you look like a manager"
By the way, the look on your face when I said "I don't know, miss. (LOD), you run this department, do you know?" Was absolutely priceless.

For the ETLs out there and I got to do this at the book store a couple of times:
Of course you are in no way supposed to get any satisfaction from the annoyed look on their face when they demand to see whoever is running this store and you truthfully "I am, right now."

TTOG: Yes, I do need your ID if you want to purchase alcohol. I know you're over 21 but I can't put my ass on the line because you don't want to show it. Rules are rules, can't ignore 'em.

TTOG: Really?? You get all the way to the front of the line & then decide you don't want the 10 boxes of peppermint bark you had in your cart?!?! A couple items with a last minute decision is one matter, but this is ridiculous!

TTOG: Yes, I do need your ID if you want to purchase alcohol. I know you're over 21 but I can't put my ass on the line because you don't want to show it. Rules are rules, can't ignore 'em.
I hate when guests think I'm doing this out of my own free will. Like no, it's policy. If you dont have ID i can't sell it to you. I had a guy the other day buying cough medicine and I asked for his ID and he goes "are you serious?" which I responded with "yes." and he get's all mad saying he didn't have it on him. Well too bad. Maybe you should carry your ID more often then.

TTOG: Thank you so much for making my last couple of minutes of my shift amazing. You put a smile on my face when you told my manager that I was a great team member. It's people like you that makes me enjoy my job because I get to make people happy.

To that one guest: it's after the holidays & they're no longer shipping us supplies for the Holiday drinks.
It's out of my hands so stuff the attitude.
Guest: "So you can't make X, Y or Z drinks.....what the hell CAN you make me?"
I can make you mad.
Oop, mission accomplished.
Now piss off already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back