To that one guest

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were trained specifically to hand GCs to guests immediately and can get fired if we don't. It was stressed pretty heavily in orientation & cashier training. GCs should always stay in sight of the eyes-in-the-sky and go right to the guest or ledge in front of them after scanning. I get nervous when I try to hand it to a guest and they tell me to stick it in a bag.

I will weigh in as a person of middle age who never once worked retail/fast food prior to last year.

As a customer, even as an 18 year old on my own for the first time, I always knew read the damn labels. Don't assume something is necessarily in the proper place, read the label near it and determine if it's the proper thing. Most places put the UPC on the label. Target puts the last 6 numbers of the UPC on the label. Either way, easy to match up and verify if the right thing is in the right place. If there's a sale, I knew to read the fine print to make sure what I was looking at would match the sale.

Beyond that, I knew that "please" and "thank you" went a long way. And I also knew, as an introvert, it's hard to slap a smile on your face all day long when in the public eye. So I was forgiving of overhearing an employee bitch about a problem customer. I didn't mind a meh employee as long as I got the help that was needed. We're all human. And even introverts gotta eat, and I'm not the only one on the planet, so some people are simply less "I'm your new buddy!" and more coolly competent.

So yeah, I don't have any sympathy for the idiots who don't freaking read the labels and signs and act like the information was not available in an easy-to-learn format. If as a naive 18 year old I knew how to make sure that I was matching up a gallon of milk to the right price, if as a 20 year old sleep deprived new mother I could figure out best deals on diapers and baby food, if as a 14 year old on a church trip to Canada I could figure out their labels well enough to price what I wanted and figure out the exchange rate to boot, then there isn't a single customer out there who is literate that gets a pass on not reading and just assuming when it comes to purchasing items. There is absolutely no excuse. Especially since I was doing all that when there were no cell phones so no one (other than those with the geeky calculator watches) had a calculator to do the math for them. And I know I'm not anything special, I'm not overly smart or overly worldly or overly educated or overly anything, so I don't have special skills to do this, I have the same mental tools at my disposal that every other person on the planet has.

And I sure as heck don't have any kind thoughts to those who think that retail workers should be lobotomized to always be perfect and smiling. If prior to retail work I could empathize with someone whose professional life is always on display and not get any level of upset unless given downright shitty service or no service, then I think the rest of the world can too. If prior to retail work I made it a practice to go to the manager when I felt someone was doing a good job because I recognized that "good" did not equal "stellar" but should still be recognized (I scared the hell out of a few dozen servers and managers before I realized I should specify I wasn't planning on complaining), then I think that other people should be able to see the same. If I can look at my last non-customer service job with a critical eye and see how there were days I felt great and went well above and beyond, days that I did what was expected and not a lot more, days that I bitched my heart out to sympathetic coworkers, and bad days that I totally failed expectations, then I think I can totally forgive a retail worker for having those same exact type of days.

And as far as the gift cards specifically, #1 if given immediately they don't get forgotten by the end of the transaction, #2 if given immediately the guest can't reasonably claim they didn't get it if the guest took possession of it prior to loss.
I appreciate your post. I may come off as hard up on certain retail workers and that may be because I do try to go above and beyond most of the time. Do I have bad days, hell yes. Have I done a less than good job, naturally. But I try my best always. In my late teens and early 20's I was in a very abusive relationship, went to work after being bruised up and crying and still smiled and tried to make the best of the day (thank GOD for concealer and full coverage makeup). So I guess in hindsight I don't tolerate people who can't even greet their guests, won't crack a smile or those who want to bitch about everything. As a tm, I see people who act like helping a guest is absolutely ruining their day. Those same people are the ones who don't like to help their fellow team members out. I don't recommend being 'on' absolutely all the time because it is exhausting, and bad days do happen, but this is the job and why not give it 100%?

As a guest, passing by tm's who are standing around talking crap about other tm's while the area they are "working" looks like garbage is not acceptable. I remember a girl saying she needed help in softlines because she was swamped but she spent the next hour standing around chatting with the fitting room tm. Not getting anything done. I see this all the time, especially when Im busy pushing truck and I'm getting questions from 3 different guests and the tm who is supposed to be on the floor helping guests is bullsh*tting with the electronics tm.

As far as people reading labels, I know you stated as long as people are literate they don't get a pass but not all adults are literate and the ones that aren't won't tell you. So if someone just assumes the person is being lazy and not reading and gives a look of annoyance or is less than kind at having to explain things then it could hurt a person. Anyway, I guess I just don't see the issue in taking some time to explain things to people.

We were trained specifically to hand GCs to guests immediately and can get fired if we don't. It was stressed pretty heavily in orientation & cashier training. GCs should always stay in sight of the eyes-in-the-sky and go right to the guest or ledge in front of them after scanning. I get nervous when I try to hand it to a guest and they tell me to stick it in a bag.

Ask any aptm how often they catch a cashier getting a promo gift card they rung up for a guest but held then spending said card with their own card which flags ap.

Ask any aptm how often they catch a cashier getting a promo gift card they rung up for a guest but held then spending said card with their own card which flags ap.

Yes, this is the reason for the policy, I believe. And if the guest leaves the card behind we're to notify GSA/GSTL right away.

I appreciate your post. I may come off as hard up on certain retail workers and that may be because I do try to go above and beyond most of the time. Do I have bad days, hell yes. Have I done a less than good job, naturally. But I try my best always. In my late teens and early 20's I was in a very abusive relationship, went to work after being bruised up and crying and still smiled and tried to make the best of the day (thank GOD for concealer and full coverage makeup). So I guess in hindsight I don't tolerate people who can't even greet their guests, won't crack a smile or those who want to bitch about everything. As a tm, I see people who act like helping a guest is absolutely ruining their day. Those same people are the ones who don't like to help their fellow team members out. I don't recommend being 'on' absolutely all the time because it is exhausting, and bad days do happen, but this is the job and why not give it 100%?

As a guest, passing by tm's who are standing around talking crap about other tm's while the area they are "working" looks like garbage is not acceptable. I remember a girl saying she needed help in softlines because she was swamped but she spent the next hour standing around chatting with the fitting room tm. Not getting anything done. I see this all the time, especially when Im busy pushing truck and I'm getting questions from 3 different guests and the tm who is supposed to be on the floor helping guests is bullsh*tting with the electronics tm.

As far as people reading labels, I know you stated as long as people are literate they don't get a pass but not all adults are literate and the ones that aren't won't tell you. So if someone just assumes the person is being lazy and not reading and gives a look of annoyance or is less than kind at having to explain things then it could hurt a person. Anyway, I guess I just don't see the issue in taking some time to explain things to people.

You don't have the market on bad days. Yes, what you went through was bad. But it's not necessarily worse than everyone else. Maybe the person who's not smiling or who wants to bitch is me, with my stuff going on. Maybe the bitching is the way to deal with stress about something else.

And I doubt you are Super Worker and everyone around you is standing around gossiping. According to the middle paragraph you are seeing at least 5 TMs standing around doing nothing on a daily basis. Is that reality? I don't think so. I think you are either grossly exaggerating to make yourself look like the store savior or you are not perceiving their actions correctly, your mind is twisting it to the worst possible connotations. As they say, if everyone else seems to be the problem then maybe you should be looking in the mirror for the problem.

Not all adults are literate? Yes, not everyone is literate. But with the sheer volume of guests who get the wrong thing for an in-store coupon or don't understand that the sign specifically said they'd be getting a gift card, not money off or who grab something that was left in the wrong spot and not realize the price is wrong, there is absolutely no way for all those people to be illiterate. Half the nation would have to be illiterate if that is the basis for getting clearly marked stuff wrong. The people who go through clearance near where I usually work, probably every other day I'm having to tell someone that no, the 30% or more off is not taken off the clearance price, it's off the regular price which is printed on the clearance sticker and is still visible on the other side of the tag. Are all those people illiterate? Or are they just hoping to get something for nothing or too lazy to do basic math? With very rare exception it's the latter.

Ive always been nice to guests. I ask if they want "this" bagged, if they'd like "that" left out, I tell them they have a gift card for X amount and hand it to them, I ask how they want things bagged, etc. I'm a very nice guy.

I usually only start getting upset after I've had someone arguing with me when the guest is belittling me. One time I had a guy bitching with me because he picked a bag of charcoal off of a rack we have at the front end that was sitting above a clearance label. We had fully stocked it that day with bags and a lot had gone, and someone must have put it back in the clearance spot because theyre lazy.

He notices it didnt ring up for Clearance, and he goes "Wasn't that clearance?" And I said I don't know, lets see. No clearance sticker, and price isn't deducted at all. I go over to the rack whete he found it,and there isnt anything there at the clearance label. I asked,a GSTL walking by if charcoal was clearance at all and she said no.

I walk back, let the guest know it's not,clearance, and if it was, it'd have a clearance sticker on it for it's discount price, but it doesn't.

So he huffs and puffs and says it should be clearance. He realized he needs lighter fluid so I watched him go over and lo and behold, he grabbed a stray bottle from another clearance label. He tells me it should be clearance.

Well, it's not lol. I explained I can't discount his price at all, but he says he just wants the clearance price, so I ask him what price he wants, and he says "the clearance price!" And he's getting kind of loud now, he's drawing eyes. I said "I can't give you a price if there is no clearance price, its not clearance, I'm sorry you will be paying it in full, I can void them our for you and take them back if you'd like" and he said "Well, no.. I need them" so I said Okay.

That entire transaction after that with him was a bunch of pissing and moaning about clearance prices, I wanted to die.

You don't have the market on bad days. Yes, what you went through was bad. But it's not necessarily worse than everyone else. Maybe the person who's not smiling or who wants to bitch is me, with my stuff going on. Maybe the bitching is the way to deal with stress about something else.

And I doubt you are Super Worker and everyone around you is standing around gossiping. According to the middle paragraph you are seeing at least 5 TMs standing around doing nothing on a daily basis. Is that reality? I don't think so. I think you are either grossly exaggerating to make yourself look like the store savior or you are not perceiving their actions correctly, your mind is twisting it to the worst possible connotations. As they say, if everyone else seems to be the problem then maybe you should be looking in the mirror for the problem.

Not all adults are literate? Yes, not everyone is literate. But with the sheer volume of guests who get the wrong thing for an in-store coupon or don't understand that the sign specifically said they'd be getting a gift card, not money off or who grab something that was left in the wrong spot and not realize the price is wrong, there is absolutely no way for all those people to be illiterate. Half the nation would have to be illiterate if that is the basis for getting clearly marked stuff wrong. The people who go through clearance near where I usually work, probably every other day I'm having to tell someone that no, the 30% or more off is not taken off the clearance price, it's off the regular price which is printed on the clearance sticker and is still visible on the other side of the tag. Are all those people illiterate? Or are they just hoping to get something for nothing or too lazy to do basic math? With very rare exception it's the latter.
Yes! I was hoping you would notice how amazing and perfect I was at my job! Gag me with a spoon!!! I am merely stating what I see, never said it is on a daily basis or that I am a supreme retail worker. I have said in previous postings that I do not like retail, but if I'm getting paid to do a job, I will grin and bare it. And my experience is not worse than anyone else, I was giving you an example of a person smiling and trying to make other people's day when there is no fucks given about life to them at some moments. Just as your 'sleep deprived 20 year old mom' situation was supposed to be an example for why you are just not as dumb and lazy as these other guests are. My original post was questioning some people's accounts on the guest and experiences....and why it is so hard to keep the GOOD (not perfect) customer service hat on when dealing with said experiences.

It's funny because when reading through posts on here, it's easy to spot the tms who have garbage attitudes because it comes out in how they respond. The level heads and professionals keep it that way. Even when they complain about guests ......because it's natural for people, other than my perfect self of course ***eyes popping out from rolling so hard***, to complain.

Ive always been nice to guests. I ask if they want "this" bagged, if they'd like "that" left out, I tell them they have a gift card for X amount and hand it to them, I ask how they want things bagged, etc. I'm a very nice guy.

I usually only start getting upset after I've had someone arguing with me when the guest is belittling me. One time I had a guy bitching with me because he picked a bag of charcoal off of a rack we have at the front end that was sitting above a clearance label. We had fully stocked it that day with bags and a lot had gone, and someone must have put it back in the clearance spot because theyre lazy.

He notices it didnt ring up for Clearance, and he goes "Wasn't that clearance?" And I said I don't know, lets see. No clearance sticker, and price isn't deducted at all. I go over to the rack whete he found it,and there isnt anything there at the clearance label. I asked,a GSTL walking by if charcoal was clearance at all and she said no.

I walk back, let the guest know it's not,clearance, and if it was, it'd have a clearance sticker on it for it's discount price, but it doesn't.

So he huffs and puffs and says it should be clearance. He realized he needs lighter fluid so I watched him go over and lo and behold, he grabbed a stray bottle from another clearance label. He tells me it should be clearance.

Well, it's not lol. I explained I can't discount his price at all, but he says he just wants the clearance price, so I ask him what price he wants, and he says "the clearance price!" And he's getting kind of loud now, he's drawing eyes. I said "I can't give you a price if there is no clearance price, its not clearance, I'm sorry you will be paying it in full, I can void them our for you and take them back if you'd like" and he said "Well, no.. I need them" so I said Okay.

That entire transaction after that with him was a bunch of pissing and moaning about clearance prices, I wanted to die.
Good example of explaining and showing the guest how he would know he was wrong since he clearly was and wouldn't let it go, even though Im sure it would be easier to be snarky or argue with him. And good job at standing your ground :)

Yes! I was hoping you would notice how amazing and perfect I was at my job! Gag me with a spoon!!! I am merely stating what I see, never said it is on a daily basis or that I am a supreme retail worker. I have said in previous postings that I do not like retail, but if I'm getting paid to do a job, I will grin and bare it. And my experience is not worse than anyone else, I was giving you an example of a person smiling and trying to make other people's day when there is no fucks given about life to them at some moments. Just as your 'sleep deprived 20 year old mom' situation was supposed to be an example for why you are just not as dumb and lazy as these other guests are. My original post was questioning some people's accounts on the guest and experiences....and why it is so hard to keep the GOOD (not perfect) customer service hat on when dealing with said experiences.

It's funny because when reading through posts on here, it's easy to spot the tms who have garbage attitudes because it comes out in how they respond. The level heads and professionals keep it that way. Even when they complain about guests ......because it's natural for people, other than my perfect self of course ***eyes popping out from rolling so hard***, to complain.

Yeah, you are still bragging about how you are better because you permanently smile despite hating your job. And that 20 year old bit is not me saying I'm smarter, but me saying if my totally average self can do it and does it, then anyone can do it and should do it. And with the way you take sides, how the customer (no matter where) is always reasonable and any lack of understanding on the part of the customer is due to a lack of understandable visual and auditory instructions and how we should coddle them at all times and how having a bad day means we're horrible at our jobs since it has to be perfect to all their demands...just check out the site Not Always Right if you need proof that customers can easily be and often are the problem. The guest that launched a tirade at the poor GSA because she didn't have her ID is not the GSA doing something wrong, it was an unreasonable guest who was too lazy to read her email. The one I didn't talk about yet, the woman who was demanding a phone number, not even a "please" and telling me I'm stupid and a liar because the place she wanted a phone number for didn't exist was unreasonable. And other than you, I'm sure that every person here can understand why, after being called stupid and a liar, I decided to just keep saying there was no second Target in this city rather than find out which neighboring city had the Target she wanted once I caught on to her description. People often feel the saying "the guest is always right" means they can be horrible in their behavior and unreasonable in their demands and it all should be met to their satisfaction.

I saw this at my last job when I had to deal with clients. You signed a legally binding purchase contract. Yes the terms are sucky, but you still signed it. Yes the salesman lied a lot, but you signed a statement saying that you agree that all verbal agreements were void and not part of the contracted terms. Yes listening to me reveals even more lies, sorry you thought the salesman to be your friend. Yes there was no real time to read the documents while the closer was pushing for your signature, but that's why you have a copy of the documents and 7 days to cancel per state law and not a minute more. And yet, rather than own up to the fact that they screwed themselves over, clients would scream and swear at and berate the office staff that had no face to face time with the clients during their visit. They all thought that their goofs shouldn't be held against them and it was all our fault.

Yeah, you are still bragging about how you are better because you permanently smile despite hating your job. And that 20 year old bit is not me saying I'm smarter, but me saying if my totally average self can do it and does it, then anyone can do it and should do it. And with the way you take sides, how the customer (no matter where) is always reasonable and any lack of understanding on the part of the customer is due to a lack of understandable visual and auditory instructions and how we should coddle them at all times and how having a bad day means we're horrible at our jobs since it has to be perfect to all their demands...just check out the site Not Always Right if you need proof that customers can easily be and often are the problem. The guest that launched a tirade at the poor GSA because she didn't have her ID is not the GSA doing something wrong, it was an unreasonable guest who was too lazy to read her email. The one I didn't talk about yet, the woman who was demanding a phone number, not even a "please" and telling me I'm stupid and a liar because the place she wanted a phone number for didn't exist was unreasonable. And other than you, I'm sure that every person here can understand why, after being called stupid and a liar, I decided to just keep saying there was no second Target in this city rather than find out which neighboring city had the Target she wanted once I caught on to her description. People often feel the saying "the guest is always right" means they can be horrible in their behavior and unreasonable in their demands and it all should be met to their satisfaction.

I saw this at my last job when I had to deal with clients. You signed a legally binding purchase contract. Yes the terms are sucky, but you still signed it. Yes the salesman lied a lot, but you signed a statement saying that you agree that all verbal agreements were void and not part of the contracted terms. Yes listening to me reveals even more lies, sorry you thought the salesman to be your friend. Yes there was no real time to read the documents while the closer was pushing for your signature, but that's why you have a copy of the documents and 7 days to cancel per state law and not a minute more. And yet, rather than own up to the fact that they screwed themselves over, clients would scream and swear at and berate the office staff that had no face to face time with the clients during their visit. They all thought that their goofs shouldn't be held against them and it was all our fault.
If I believed I was better I would say so. I don't. All I'm saying is I TRY. I'm not talking about every Target employee being horrible (I have met some of the best people while I have been a tm) but it is because I try, my expectation when I am a guest is that the employee at least try to show me a good customer service experience. Is that really too much to ask?? I'm a nice guest, i don't treat people who are working like shit. I have been working in customer service/human services for almost 20 years so yeah, I know not to treat people who are working badly (yes, im still much better than everyone else!! See how wonderful I am! )

See, you and I are not that different (I know, I'm gross). You have obviously had several bad experiences with customers so you have no chill when it comes to them. I have had some really shitty experiences as a guest so naturally I am partial to that side. We both work retail, I encounter the same crap everyone else does. You aren't telling me anything I am unaware of.

Look, we obviously don't see eye to eye (me on my pedestal/throne and all).... I advocate for my fellow retail worker too, but I refuse to advocate for the ones with shit attitudes. I don't see why it irks you that I ask for GOOD customer service and some form of professionalism. If I can do it, anyone can do it, just like you said you can read a label and everyone else should be able to do the same.

Seriously, 50% is the easiest percent. No need to scan it and leave it.

TTOG: I can maybe understand one of your Playstation Gift Cards not working correctly. But two of them, both doing the same exact thing? System said they'd been used so I can't do anything about it. So quit whining and maybe next time go to the store you bought them from originally because if that doesn't make things even more shady idk what does.

TTOG: I can maybe understand one of your Playstation Gift Cards not working correctly. But two of them, both doing the same exact thing? System said they'd been used so I can't do anything about it. So quit whining and maybe next time go to the store you bought them from originally because if that doesn't make things even more shady idk what does.

Giving the absolute sliver of the benefit of the doubt, Christmas can be hell on gaming platforms. Sometimes it's a malicious DDoS attack. Sometimes it's thousands of newly opened consoles all pinging the authentication and update servers at the same time. In any case, it's up to the guest to contact Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft if things like this happen.

TTOG who came and asked me if the Xbox game bundle thingy you wanted really was on sale, thank you. It wasn't on sale, because it was shelved in the wrong spot and that sale ended on the 24th anyway but the shelf stickies weren't taken down, but I very much appreciate that you 1) asked, instead of making life difficult for the front end folks and 2) noted the "24" on the sticky that indicated that even if the game you were looking at were included in the sale, it had ended, anyway.

(I let her know it was discontinued, and might go clearance soon, if she wanted to risk it selling out in the meantime.)

TTOG: fuck you. You are the rudest person ever every time you come in. You always have so many “issues” here and take it out on as many employees as you can, why don’t you just go somewhere else? Literally every time I deal with you I have to take a 5 minute cool down break afterwards

TTOG: how stupid can you be?!?

Me: *rings up 30 half price Christmas wrapping paper/ornaments and a gift card they asked for $100 on*
“Guest”: why is my total so high? All Xmas stuff is 50% off right?
Me: yep, pretty much all Xmas stuff is 50% off
“Guest”: so that gift card should be $50, not $100, right?
Me: ha ha! I wish!!
“Guest”: so you will adjust the Xmas gift card to the correct 50% off price?

Had to explain that gift cards in the Xmas section that said “merry Xmas” on them weren’t included in the sale...THEN this “Guest” goes and complains to every other TM they could find, while demanding to speak to a supervisor, about how I ripped them off and lied to them and stole their $50....

ETA: their main complaint about me was that I was rude to them (based on me laughing thinking they were joking)

TTOG: how stupid can you be?!?

Me: *rings up 30 half price Christmas wrapping paper/ornaments and a gift card they asked for $100 on*
“Guest”: why is my total so high? All Xmas stuff is 50% off right?
Me: yep, pretty much all Xmas stuff is 50% off
“Guest”: so that gift card should be $50, not $100, right?
Me: ha ha! I wish!!
“Guest”: so you will adjust the Xmas gift card to the correct 50% off price?

Had to explain that gift cards in the Xmas section that said “merry Xmas” on them weren’t included in the sale...THEN this “Guest” goes and complains to every other TM they could find, while demanding to speak to a supervisor, about how I ripped them off and lied to them and stole their $50....

ETA: their main complaint about me was that I was rude to them (based on me laughing thinking they were joking)

tumblr_n4s62ghkeR1tq4of6o1_500.gif

TTOG: you came up to my lane after I have out my last 20's and 10's to the last guest. You came up to my lane with 2 items and $100 bill. So I immediately called my manger who was standing there and ask for more money while you were standing there and told you it might take a moment since the money is in another room.

So why did you continue to check out at my lane and then bitch on how much in a hurry you were? No I can't exchange money with the guy next to me.. And sorry not sorry you're not shopping here again because I gave you the option to move beforehand.. I'm not a bank

#bye

TTOG: Thank you for not talking to me today. Thank you for approaching a different team member for help. I remember you from your last visit, and I really didn't want to learn even more TMI since you apparently lack a filter. You're nice, but some things are better left unsaid.

TTOG: you’re SO sweet and pleasant, you must’ve had to work retail before. She asked me how my shift was going, was super positive, and then told me “have a good rest of your shift and a great night!” like that was just so nice and such a different vibe than I’m used to, luv you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back