To that one Team Member I - ARCHIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t say don’t say anything. I just said don’t name drop target policy and talk to a guest like they did.

But again leverage. If the guy had just said "Sit down" and the kids didn't or the mother fussed and one kid got hurt, again legal issues, Target is open to a lawsuit and the guy will be fired for allowing an unsafe situation and the guy would have to live with the memory that he could have intervened to prevent severe injury or death and he instead chose a lesser intervention that helped get the kid hurt.

But again leverage. If the guy had just said "Sit down" and the kids didn't or the mother fussed and one kid got hurt, again legal issues, Target is open to a lawsuit and the guy will be fired for allowing an unsafe situation and the guy would have to live with the memory that he could have intervened to prevent severe injury or death and he instead chose a lesser intervention that helped get the kid hurt.
But the thing is that unless I’m mistaken it’s not actually target policy.

He wouldn't be fired if he didn't say anything and her threatening to sue wouldn't mean anything. Any AP would have video of the kid standing up in the cart long before the tm saw them.

You're tm did nothing wrong except citing it as policy. He could have just said kindly "can you guys sit? I would hate for you to hurt yourself"

Man, you think standing in carts is bad? I’ve seen parents that put their kid on the bottom... I don’t mention anything about Target policy but I do usually ask if they would mind sitting because I don’t want them getting hurt.

But the thing is that unless I’m mistaken it’s not actually target policy.
Would corporate fuss if their name was taken in vain to prevent injury?

I don't think it's Target's policy to not allow underwear into the fitting room. But I can say that policy prevents it, because I know if they decide not to buy it, it would have to be salvaged due to health reasons. I do say it's against policy since there are people that really want to try on underwear but promise they will try it on over their own underwear. Yeah, how can I be sure they did so?

He wouldn't be fired if he didn't say anything and her threatening to sue wouldn't mean anything. Any AP would have video of the kid standing up in the cart long before the tm saw them.

You're tm did nothing wrong except citing it as policy. He could have just said kindly "can you guys sit? I would hate for you to hurt yourself"

Businesses can be sued for any reason. It may not always be successful, but there will be a lot of legal fees paid first. Think about cruise control, how there's that stupid warning to remain in the driver's seat because some guy sued after setting the cruise control in his RV and then getting out of the driver's seat to make himself a drink because he assumed the cruise control would steer as well. All the woman would have to say is that a team member saw the children and did not warn her as to the potential harm. Target likely will be like any other business and will seek to minimize the damage to their pocketbook and would place all blame on any team member the cameras showed within sight of the woman and kids.

Would corporate fuss if their name was taken in vain to prevent injury?

I don't think it's Target's policy to not allow underwear into the fitting room. But I can say that policy prevents it, because I know if they decide not to buy it, it would have to be salvaged due to health reasons. I do say it's against policy since there are people that really want to try on underwear but promise they will try it on over their own underwear. Yeah, how can I be sure they did so?

Businesses can be sued for any reason. It may not always be successful, but there will be a lot of legal fees paid first. Think about cruise control, how there's that stupid warning to remain in the driver's seat because some guy sued after setting the cruise control in his RV and then getting out of the driver's seat to make himself a drink because he assumed the cruise control would steer as well. All the woman would have to say is that a team member saw the children and did not warn her as to the potential harm. Target likely will be like any other business and will seek to minimize the damage to their pocketbook and would place all blame on any team member the cameras showed within sight of the woman and kids.
the suit would be thrown out so quickly. as far as I know, the team member is under no obligation to report "potential harm" of a kid standing up.

Please note how many of these lawsuits either had damages awarded or took so long to go through the legal system that an appeals court was brought in. Now think of how much a lawyer is paid per hour and how many hours must be involved for a case to get to the appeal stage. Idiocy on the part of the plaintiff does not mean a quick dismissal of a lawsuit, and an unsuccessful lawsuit does not require the plaintiff to pay for the defendant's legal fees.

Top Ten Frivolous Lawsuits - https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/top-ten-frivolous-lawsuits

TTO Pharmacist: I get that you can't leave the Pharmacy and you need to eat too...but please consider not eating whatever the hell it is that stinks up half the store for an hour after heating it up. If I'm gagging from it in the backroom, I can only imagine what your customers have to go through up close.
I’d kill my PM if they did this! The caramel corn is bad enough

Businesses can be sued for any reason.

It's not an expectation that you control guest kids. It's not in your job duties. It's not covered in orientation.

We had a guest whose kid dropped a dumbbell on his foot in front of several witnesses.

The guest got pissy until the LOD had several witnesses fill out a form noting the kids negligence.

TTOTM (namely myself) Make sure you actually check your alarms before you go to bed.... you woke up today with literally 5 minutes before your cab was scheduled to arrive.... As the only cashier for the first 2 hours, that could have been a serious disaster instead of just an insane mad dash.

one of the cashiers today told a guest something real stupid.

he turned around and told two little kids standing in the cart to "please sit down, you do NOT want to be standing in your cart." and they kind of just slowly sit down in the cart as their mom just kind of stares at him and he looks at her and says "Sorry... it's just TARGET POLICY and stuff you know.." and she's like "oh.. well, thank you..?"

holy shit I've never felt so weird and annoyed in my life
I have on several occasions asked kids to sit down if I felt they were not being safe. If their parent was not going to say something, then I was. I would be really nice about it and most of the time the kids would listen.

Today there was a kid laying in the bottom of the cart and he kept touching the wheels. I told the mom that he was playing with the wheels and didn’t want to see him get hurt.

She told me that “It would serve him right. I told him not to get down there anyway”

Um. What? That’s great lady. Reallt good parenting.

You can tell kids to sit down, stop running, behave, move, whatever, if you use the right words.

Approach it from a safety point of view and say "oh guys, be careful! If you stand in a cart you might fall out."
I was constantly telling children how to behave but never had a parent bitch about me. It's all about diplomacy.
We're not responsible for parents allowing their children to use our carts in an unsafe manner. We can't be sued by some idiot who lets their kids stand in a cart and the kid falls out. Well, they can try to sue, but they're not going to win bags of money.

Today there was a kid laying in the bottom of the cart and he kept touching the wheels. I told the mom that he was playing with the wheels and didn’t want to see him get hurt.

She told me that “It would serve him right. I told him not to get down there anyway”

Um. What? That’s great lady. Reallt good parenting.
Yeh, one of my niece's boys did that until Dad made a sharp turn & kid got his finger broken.
I was cheering my niece on while she tore her husband a new one at the ER.

TTOTM can you use more of an indoor voice during phone conversations in the breakroom?

Last edited:
TTOTL: thanks for leaving three carts of reshop and a full z rack in girls for me to handle while being understaffed and leading the softlines team tonight. Also, it's pretty unprofessional to roll your eyes and walk away when I say that having a good zone in RTW will make setting the upcoming vmg easier. It's times like these I understand why other tms don't like you.

called in today and had a friend who was working today message me saying I'm a NCNS because I never showed up for my shift.

all of my whats, gonna have to deal with this next time I work.

To That Target Clothing Designer:

Not every woman is interested in jeans that are designed to be so tight you can see their cellulose. Not every woman is interested in pants that are shaped in a way that they look like a sugar cone - super tiny at the bottom and huge at the top. Not every man is interested in pants that adhere to their legs. Not everyone is into clothing so threadbare that the t-shirts I threw out last year that I had worn for 15 years were in better shape. Not every job allows clothing of this type to be worn.

When that nice lady asked me last night for help in finding uniform pants that per her job regulations had to be denim, bootcut, and not distressed, well that just excluded the entirety of Universal Threads. Thank goodness we've got Denizen. When women complain about the graphic tees, all I can do is point them to the men's department since there are no good quality graphic tees in RTW. When men complain they can't find straight leg chinos because we don't have that much compared to all the tight stuff and we sell out of the popular sizes fast, I can't do a thing other than hope they aren't on a time crunch and hope what they think is their pants size is accurate and refer them to target.com.

Maybe you could design your clothing lines so that we carry in store a decent amount of clothes that are more loose and better quality fabric? People really do want to try stuff on for a good fit and they want it in time for the weekend or for that new job starting tomorrow, all of which excludes online ordering. We don't have to cater exclusively to the torn-fabric body-paint crowd.

To That Target Clothing Designer:

Not every woman is interested in jeans that are designed to be so tight you can see their cellulose. Not every woman is interested in pants that are shaped in a way that they look like a sugar cone - super tiny at the bottom and huge at the top. Not every man is interested in pants that adhere to their legs. Not everyone is into clothing so threadbare that the t-shirts I threw out last year that I had worn for 15 years were in better shape. Not every job allows clothing of this type to be worn.

When that nice lady asked me last night for help in finding uniform pants that per her job regulations had to be denim, bootcut, and not distressed, well that just excluded the entirety of Universal Threads. Thank goodness we've got Denizen. When women complain about the graphic tees, all I can do is point them to the men's department since there are no good quality graphic tees in RTW. When men complain they can't find straight leg chinos because we don't have that much compared to all the tight stuff and we sell out of the popular sizes fast, I can't do a thing other than hope they aren't on a time crunch and hope what they think is their pants size is accurate and refer them to target.com.

Maybe you could design your clothing lines so that we carry in store a decent amount of clothes that are more loose and better quality fabric? People really do want to try stuff on for a good fit and they want it in time for the weekend or for that new job starting tomorrow, all of which excludes online ordering. We don't have to cater exclusively to the torn-fabric body-paint crowd.
I cannot like this enough!!! It’s not just Target, though, it seems to be the trend lately. Can I also add:
Not all women want cap sleeves on their t-shirts. Some would like them to be more than 2” long. Please take into account that larger size women also have larger arms. Nothing is more irritating than putting on an XL shirt and not being able to move your arms because they’re too damn tight! And please stop putting the same length sleeves on every size. I’m tired of buying “long sleeve” shirts and ending up with 3/4 length sleeves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back