To that one Team Member I - ARCHIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you see the paradox here? Inevitably, my viewpoint is biased as a young person, and your's is biased as an older person.

Fact of the matter is, when trying to become a TL, regardless of age, odds are you're going to try and act like a TL, and you're probably not going to be an asshole about it if you're looking for a promotion. Does that mean it doesn't happen? Of course not. But being in a position where older TMs didn't treat me nicely at first, I'm hesitant to believe older TM's are always welcoming new TL's with open arms. Especially if they're in the "I'm entitled to respect no matter how I act, just because I'm old" mindset.

In my experience, it’s the older TMs who want their butt kissed. The ones that have been there for 10+ years specifically.

With how toxic and poorly run my store is, the new people either leave or suffer. They are lost with out any proper direction and no training. A lot of them are even too afraid to ask for help.

In my experience, it’s the older TMs who want their butt kissed. The ones that have been there for 10+ years specifically.

With how toxic and poorly run my store is, the new people either leave or suffer. They are lost with out any proper direction and no training. A lot of them are even too afraid to ask for help.

that sums up my stores experience. Most of the old timers roll with it. But there's a handful of older women that just lose their shit over the 20 something year old Tls, especially if they're girls. They get so petty, and gossip terrible shit.

Do you see the paradox here? Inevitably, my viewpoint is biased as a young person, and your's is biased as an older person.

Fact of the matter is, when trying to become a TL, regardless of age, odds are you're going to try and act like a TL, and you're probably not going to be an asshole about it if you're looking for a promotion. Does that mean it doesn't happen? Of course not. But being in a position where older TMs didn't treat me nicely at first, I'm hesitant to believe older TM's are always welcoming new TL's with open arms. Especially if they're in the "I'm entitled to respect no matter how I act, just because I'm old" mindset.
Of course I see the paradox. However, as someone who’s been “around the block” more than once, I’ve seen a change in the behavior and attitudes of the younger vs older workers. I’m not saying older workers are always welcoming to younger “superiors,” but it goes both ways. When I got my promotion to lead, there were younger coworkers who said I only got it “because I’m older....” not that I work harder or am better at the job or am smarter or anything actually “job-related.” I’ve also witnessed people who were put into leadership positions who acted like Jekyl & Hyde.....they were nice as can be in FRONT of other management, but treated their team like total crap otherwise. Does it happen ALL the time? Of course not. Nobody said it did. But it sounds like this was the case in @LillyH’s situation. You’re hesitant to believe it because it wasn’t your experience, but telling her it’s petty to complain about it because it was hers? Isn’t that partially why this site was created? To complain?

And maybe it’s just me or “my generation,” but I believe everyone is entitled to respect, and I’ll respect you until you give me a reason to NOT respect you. As a parent, I’ve seen wayyyyy too many kids (teens and twenty-somethings) who have ZERO respect for anyone. Why? Because they were never TAUGHT respect. Too many helicopter parents treating their kids like they can do no wrong.

Of course I see the paradox. However, as someone who’s been “around the block” more than once, I’ve seen a change in the behavior and attitudes of the younger vs older workers. I’m not saying older workers are always welcoming to younger “superiors,” but it goes both ways. When I got my promotion to lead, there were younger coworkers who said I only got it “because I’m older....” not that I work harder or am better at the job or am smarter or anything actually “job-related.” I’ve also witnessed people who were put into leadership positions who acted like Jekyl & Hyde.....they were nice as can be in FRONT of other management, but treated their team like total crap otherwise. Does it happen ALL the time? Of course not. Nobody said it did. But it sounds like this was the case in @LillyH’s situation. You’re hesitant to believe it because it wasn’t your experience, but telling her it’s petty to complain about it because it was hers? Isn’t that partially why this site was created? To complain?

And maybe it’s just me or “my generation,” but I believe everyone is entitled to respect, and I’ll respect you until you give me a reason to NOT respect you. As a parent, I’ve seen wayyyyy too many kids (teens and twenty-somethings) who have ZERO respect for anyone. Why? Because they were never TAUGHT respect. Too many helicopter parents treating their kids like they can do no wrong.

I'd question that "change" you think you're seeing. I don't know how you can say that was the case in the OP's post, considering we had no details other than their own feelings. I think you just relate to it.

I agree with your views on respect. However I cringe when I hear older TMs say another TM needs to respect their elders, when literally all they talk about is how inept everyone is at their jobs. :rolleyes:

You may or may not find this interesting...

New team member today called, he started last week and he was calling about his schedule. Supposedly someone texted him about coming in extra tomorrow, he managed to delete the text on accident, and he wanted to talk to that person. Can't release schedules over the phone. I asked if he had an eHR password yet, he said he did, I told him where to go to see his schedule on his home computer. He called around half an hour later, saying his password wasn't working, and to please help him. I told him I can't release schedules and suggested he physically come in. He said that he had to be at his other job at X time, I looked at my watch, that was two whole hours away.

He sounds young, but he really needs better organizational skills. If this is legitimate. Getting a text about a schedule change seemed off, he asked for someone whose name I'm not familiar with, and having everything go wrong in getting that altered schedule is either being very unlucky or is an attempt to get someone else's schedule.

TTOHRTM: thanks for not ever getting around to approving my punch correction a couple pay periods ago so that my check had 10 hours of OT on it. Feel free to forget about it next time too, hashtag free money

Welp it's been a couple months and they haven't asked for it back yet. On that free money status s0n ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

TTOShiptShopper: two types of people. Those that listen to understand... and those that listen to respond.
I get you're in a hurry. I get your time is MONEY.
But if you would have shut your mouth for two minutes I would have been able to communicate what you needed to know, and what I needed to know, and we would have been done a lot sooner.

Shut up, please.

I hate when the GSTL start to walkie for backup with so much urgency and rapidity sending several broadcasts in a row while barely pausing and as a result walkie over and cancel out all of the people who try to respond. Then they take two seconds of silence and start the spiel over with increasing consternation "team WHO is coming up?!"

TTOShiptShopper: two types of people. Those that listen to understand... and those that listen to respond.
But if you would have shut your mouth for two minutes I would have been able to communicate what you needed to know, and what I needed to know, and we would have been done a lot sooner.

Shut up, please.
God, that "No" button would be amazing if we could use it during guest encounters. Or even that one fart audiobook.

Shut up, please.
We have a Shipt shopper who keeps trying to get the TM discount on her own purchases because she "works for Spot now". No, you don't, hon.

We have a Shipt shopper who keeps trying to get the TM discount on her own purchases because she "works for Spot now". No, you don't, hon.
I would say contact shipt to provide you with a discount number as we cannot provide a ™ discount without a number.

Obviously shipt won’t but that’s not my problem

We finally complained to Shipt about her since she was making a scene every time, even after being told that we didn't have control over it and that it's being operated completely separately from the stores numerous times. Haven't seen her since, not sure what happened.

Shut up, please.

This is absolutely one of my favorite posts. Top 10, for sure ! If you had thrown in an F-bomb, it could easily have climbed to my Top 3 !! :D

To corporate. Why are you so stupid. Y'all are taking 40 sections of bulk steel away for pack and ship space. We already don't have enough space in the steel already. There are literally pallets of transition freigt sitting on the backroom floor because of no space. Where the hell is that shit going to go? On the roof maybe. Or better yet we could ship it off to bryan's mansion.

To corporate. Why are you so stupid. Y'all are taking 40 sections of bulk steel away for pack and ship space. We already don't have enough space in the steel already. There are literally pallets of transition freigt sitting on the backroom floor because of no space. Where the hell is that shit going to go? On the roof maybe. Or better yet we could ship it off to bryan's mansion.
40 pallet spaces or 40 8-ft sections? Either way, that's overkill unless you're at an ESFS store (1500+ orders a day year-round). My new space I created is 6, 8-ft sections (about 36 pallet spaces on one side and 3 pack stations with 6 pallet spaces overhead on the other side.

I believe they said we will need to clear 80 pallet spaces for the new expanded SFS, which is pretty damn ridiculous.

40 pallet spaces or 40 8-ft sections? Either way, that's overkill unless you're at an ESFS store (1500+ orders a day year-round). My new space I created is 6, 8-ft sections (about 36 pallet spaces on one side and 3 pack stations with 6 pallet spaces overhead on the other side.
80 pallet spacesm the thing is my store is super bulk heavy. Especially right now because of btc.

TTOSTL: Thanks a ton for the backhanded compliment about how my zone "looks better than usual today" (which you shouted from 10 ft away while guests turned around in confusion). Maybe one of these days we'll have a face to face conversation and you could give me some pointers. Or...just keep walking around the store with your ETL buddies, pointing out all of the things team members need to fix and then going back to clerical to hide for the majority of your shift.

TTOSTL: Thanks a ton for the backhanded compliment about how my zone "looks better than usual today" (which you shouted from 10 ft away while guests turned around in confusion). Maybe one of these days we'll have a face to face conversation and you could give me some pointers. Or...just keep walking around the store with your ETL buddies, pointing out all of the things team members need to fix and then going back to clerical to hide for the majority of your shift.

Sounds like they’re all total POS leaders.

Sounds like they’re all total POS leaders.

Actually only the STL does this. She acts like she's too important to have conversations with TMs. When she's on the floor, the other leaders follow her around like they're minions in her little clique. But when she's not around, the ETLs actually communicate with other team members and get work done.

Actually only the STL does this. She acts like she's too important to have conversations with TMs. When she's on the floor, the other leaders follow her around like they're minions in her little clique. But when she's not around, the ETLs actually communicate with other team members and get work done.
Dang. I hate management like that. My STL was stocking bullseye’s playground one day while I just stood around watching SCO. Made me nuts because I know I could have done it faster since I know where everything is in that area. But I totally appreciated her helping to get stuff out. Those school supplies are flying off the shelves in that area.

TTOETL: Of course I was going to have trouble finishing my zone and struggle to finish reshop when the zone was being used as a dumping ground for tons of random crap and included triple located school supplies. Who answered backup when nobody else would? Who did you send to hunt down TMs that purposefully didn’t grab walkies? Who did you screech at over the walkie to get a call while working pulls because the person in that area wouldn’t pick up their own damn calls? Who did you ask to do all the RTS from cancelled glitch coupon SFS and OPU orders? Who cleaned up the chemical spills? Who figured out the workaround for the zebras crashing to avoid guests being angry that we couldn’t check if other locations had what they wanted, because you didn’t want to call CSC? Oh, yeah, that was me. Maybe if you didn’t shop the entire time you were on the floor and came out of clerical every once and a while you’d see how I got set up for mission impossible today. Oh, by the way, reshop doesn’t magically stop appearing at 9 pm so get off my ass about more appearing after I tried to resume zoning like you asked me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back