To that one Team Member I - ARCHIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
It leaves it really hard though, to justify why your work isn't done because you are covering a break for someone who should have been back a half hour ago, without mentioning that you've spent all your time covering for the other one. The only one who will get noticed is the one who doesn't get their work done...not the one who was off on the long break allowing you to continue to put away their strays.

It leaves it really hard though, to justify why your work isn't done because you are covering a break for someone who should have been back a half hour ago, without mentioning that you've spent all your time covering for the other one. The only one who will get noticed is the one who doesn't get their work done...not the one who was off on the long break allowing you to continue to put away their strays.

In that case, I would just say that due to me covering a break, I was unable to finish. Management is not completely brain dead... eventually it'll ding in their head that "hmm, a break is not supposed to take but 15 minutes," and further investigate. And if things really heat up I'd just tell them to check the cameras and see how long I was there and how I was working on whatever I could while still covering a break.

likethewind, I hope I never have to work with you or someone like you. There's no justification of stealing food, taking 45 minute 15's, and cheating the system. You have no integrity (and I'm not talking about the Target buzz word). If you do not stand up and right the things that are wrong then...

likethewind, I hope I never have to work with you or someone like you. There's no justification of stealing food, taking 45 minute 15's, and cheating the system. You have no integrity (and I'm not talking about the Target buzz word). If you do not stand up and right the things that are wrong then...

That's laughable. I single-handedly fixed our worst dept in softlines, I never call in, I always do 80% of the workload compared to my peers, and I never take longer breaks or lunches than I should. I hold myself to very high standards. However, that does NOT mean I am going to get involved in affairs that aren't mine. Because guess what? My ETL and TL know how I work and give me 35 + hours every week and are always letting me know first when there are more so I can take them first. Because they know I work. I do what I have to do, keep up the area I have to keep up as well as helping with softlines, and I do so because getting my work done and doing it right makes me feel fulfilled and happy. I have no need to go around telling management about who is or isn't doing what, because they see it on their own. I may be a "brand TM" but I still get paid a pathetic wage, and my job is not to go around being the moral police. I do me, and do me well, and the rest of the kids who think their stunts won't catch up to them are in for a rude awakening. My higher ups already replaced an entire SL team once due to them being incompetent and lazy, and taking advantage of breaks/lunches, so they won't hesitate to doing it again.

In fact, my own TL (who is very cool with me) has told me before to stay out of Target politics, because at "my level" and for what I make, it isn't worth it to throw myself into the fire. So actually, I think it would interest you to read my posts again, because I hardly think I justified their acts, or stealing food. Rather, I said, do not INVOLVE yourself and go purposely trying to be the moral police because it's not worth it to inject yourself into drama. So please, spare me the whole "would never want to work with someone like you," because in fact, I am a damn good worker and I think anyone would be in a very good position to be working alongside me.

To that one cashier who decided to leave 5 min early, leaving me by myself at the lanes with a line to the jewelry boat: **** you.

without giving away too much information....to that one team member who caused the second evacuation of the building in as many months....great job!! Problem is-we lost about 20 man hours while waiting for the okay to go back in. Then for the idiots making light of the situation so that you could try going home early...made it a little harder for me to actually go home early because of asthma.
oh, and eeyore...you drive me nuts....instead of taking "no, we can't do that" for an answer...asking twenty times in five minutes doesn't make a difference, other than to aggravate me
to the tm who gave notice...fly be free....you will be missed but I don't know that leaving one retail job for another is going to give you what you want.

to all of the tm's and a few tl's....target is a phone free workplace, you make us all look bad when you bring the phone out....it also makes the guests think that we all are still on the clock when we go around the store after work on our own time and our own cell phone.

Oh no! Don't tell me..some idiot, using the stacker, hit one of the gas lines to the dock heater? That was the last evacuation at our store.

not sure what was hit....other than it was the top of the line and I heard "Oh, s h i t" three sections away.

In that case, I would just say that due to me covering a break, I was unable to finish. Management is not completely brain dead... eventually it'll ding in their head that "hmm, a break is not supposed to take but 15 minutes," and further investigate. And if things really heat up I'd just tell them to check the cameras and see how long I was there and how I was working on whatever I could while still covering a break.

No... Just no.

If someone is doing any of those things there is really no reason why you shouldn't say anything to management. We are expected to act with integrity. We are also EXPECTED to report theft, TM or otherwise. If the LOD asked me why xyz wasn't done and its because my team was taking 45 minute breaks, you're damn well right that I'll say that my team/that person has problems returning from break on time making it difficult. GSA is responsible for making sure a lot of other TMs have the support they need to do their jobs well, and if something goes wrong, thats on the GSA.

Don't come around here tell our members that they are in the wrong because they are using integrity! Also, there are no repercussions for reporting breaches in integrity to the LOD/HR... If there were, the offending member of management would be guilty of retaliation and in deep ****.

Rgirl, keep doing a good job! Hold your team accountable!

That's laughable. I single-handedly fixed our worst dept in softlines, I never call in, I always do 80% of the workload compared to my peers, and I never take longer breaks or lunches than I should. I hold myself to very high standards. However, that does NOT mean I am going to get involved in affairs that aren't mine. Because guess what? My ETL and TL know how I work and give me 35 + hours every week and are always letting me know first when there are more so I can take them first. Because they know I work. I do what I have to do, keep up the area I have to keep up as well as helping with softlines, and I do so because getting my work done and doing it right makes me feel fulfilled and happy. I have no need to go around telling management about who is or isn't doing what, because they see it on their own. I may be a "brand TM" but I still get paid a pathetic wage, and my job is not to go around being the moral police. I do me, and do me well, and the rest of the kids who think their stunts won't catch up to them are in for a rude awakening. My higher ups already replaced an entire SL team once due to them being incompetent and lazy, and taking advantage of breaks/lunches, so they won't hesitate to doing it again.

In fact, my own TL (who is very cool with me) has told me before to stay out of Target politics, because at "my level" and for what I make, it isn't worth it to throw myself into the fire. So actually, I think it would interest you to read my posts again, because I hardly think I justified their acts, or stealing food. Rather, I said, do not INVOLVE yourself and go purposely trying to be the moral police because it's not worth it to inject yourself into drama. So please, spare me the whole "would never want to work with someone like you," because in fact, I am a damn good worker and I think anyone would be in a very good position to be working alongside me.

Well aren't you just a ****ing superstar! You alone turned around softlines, you alone do quadruple the work of everyone else, you alone can claim to set the Target standard of a brand team member!

View it how you want, and I'm sure nothing I say will change your mind but here are some of the consequences that do hurt you and your team. If they take longer breaks then they do less work. If they do less work then others have to pick up the slack by working harder and/or longer. If others have to work harder and/or longer then the morale goes down, available payroll hours go down. If payroll and morale go down then performance and execution suffers, etc. All because someone is taking 45 minute 15's and you didn't report it. Say what you want but everyone here knows it pisses them off if this happens to them.

Stealing food, shortage, do I need to go on? Yeah, I restate that I wouldn't want to work with someone like you.

forgot to ask...anybody else's TL's "have to" do the annual reviews by yesterday? It was kind of fun watching them trying to use the canned responses hr is making them use. Plus, it is an exercise in futility as anybody who has been in the store for any length of time knows, the raises are already doled out and they are trying to use those canned responses to match the raise (makes me laugh....they aren't really raises more like skips)

and to the ETL who noticed and thanked me multiple times for doing push...thank you. It helped my lousy mood a little bit. Until I got in today and the backroom was praised up and down for once doing their jobs but no mention of the ones who helped them.

Oh no! Don't tell me..some idiot, using the stacker, hit one of the gas lines to the dock heater? That was the last evacuation at our store.

This happened at my old store before I started there. After that, whenever they trained new people to use this stacker, they'd show the mangled mess of piping in the backroom and tell us to go easy with it.

If I needed to use it, I'd find a BR TM or a TL and make them do it...I wasn't going to be the one to hit the gas. :)

No... Just no.

If someone is doing any of those things there is really no reason why you shouldn't say anything to management. We are expected to act with integrity. We are also EXPECTED to report theft, TM or otherwise. If the LOD asked me why xyz wasn't done and its because my team was taking 45 minute breaks, you're damn well right that I'll say that my team/that person has problems returning from break on time making it difficult. GSA is responsible for making sure a lot of other TMs have the support they need to do their jobs well, and if something goes wrong, thats on the GSA.

Don't come around here tell our members that they are in the wrong because they are using integrity! Also, there are no repercussions for reporting breaches in integrity to the LOD/HR... If there were, the offending member of management would be guilty of retaliation and in deep ****.

Rgirl, keep doing a good job! Hold your team accountable!

I think your position is a little different, seeing as, you, a (former) GSA have to know where your cashiers are and are their supervisor, then of course you need to keep an eye out for when they return from breaks. And if you didn't see, I clearly said I wouldn't ever cover for someone if it's going to mean I'm on the line as well. So that takes care of that there. And I don't believe I EVER told Retailgirl she was in the wrong for doing so. In fact, I clearly believe in the first post that I wrote regarding her situation that I used a lot of "I don't agree," "personally I would have..." and then explained the reason why I, a salesfloor TM wouldn't do what she did.

And I'm sorry, I don't want to have to be "that" person, but do you seriously think management can't find a way to kick you out if they really wanted to because of a controversy you may have part in under the guise of something else? Weren't you the person who quit because management was squeezing you out for no apparent or for shallow reasons? Tell me more about how being morally correct 100% of the time and having all that integrity made them partial enough to you to not start performancing you out whenever they damn well pleased.

Well aren't you just a ****ing superstar! You alone turned around softlines, you alone do quadruple the work of everyone else, you alone can claim to set the Target standard of a brand team member!

View it how you want, and I'm sure nothing I say will change your mind but here are some of the consequences that do hurt you and your team. If they take longer breaks then they do less work. If they do less work then others have to pick up the slack by working harder and/or longer. If others have to work harder and/or longer then the morale goes down, available payroll hours go down. If payroll and morale go down then performance and execution suffers, etc. All because someone is taking 45 minute 15's and you didn't report it. Say what you want but everyone here knows it pisses them off if this happens to them.

Stealing food, shortage, do I need to go on? Yeah, I restate that I wouldn't want to work with someone like you

Wow, you really need to learn to read. I don't think I ever said I turned the entirety of softlines around by myself. That's silly and impossible. I do believe I said I turned around our most troubled dept, which you can choose to believe or not, does not really matter to me.

I can't believe you are really trying to pin low morale, lack of payroll, and performance on someone taking long 15 minute breaks. If that isn't trying to pinpoint a frivolous reason out of all the serious ones that are responsible for this then, I don't even know. You want to know what causes those things?

-Low morale: Happens when your supervisors don't do their job and supervise the team and get rid of dead weight. Thankfully, my supervisors are very good at this and pick up on dead weight rights away. How? Because, they do not force us to intertwine our work to get it done. They set goals for each TM: "A does this, this, and that. B does that, that and that." Then everyone answers for themselves why the work is or isn't complete in a timely manner. If you have some valid excuse, then management can look further into it.

-No Payroll: Target is a greedy company. That's it. No matter what tale they try to spin you, I think we are all smart enough to know they just want to pinch pennies in every conceivable way to keep for themselves.

-Bad performance: From what I've seen, usually happens when your boss isn't fit to be a boss and the workers beneath them don't want to strive to do the work for them because they've been wronged in some way and they no longer give a damn. In my store and dept, even though my supervisors for the most part are decent (ETL is fresh out of college and lacking a back bone at times and naive/unrealistic expectations sometimes, while SR. TL is amazing in every possible way and should be the one in charge) my ETL has a tendency to take on to much workload from other teams for SL to do when we are already drowning in our own work, or have unrealistic expectations oh how much it is possible to get done. That creates a feeling of "it's impossible!" and "she doesn't understand us because she doesn't work with us!." Thankfully, a quick talk with my TL about it will get him to get her to ease up a bit. (She's very fickle and can't stick to any of her plans.)

If I as working under my ETL alone, I might not be as hard a worker, because she has serious flaws as a leader and she doesn't inspire me to work and strive for my best for the simple purpose of feeling good about what I've accomplished for myself. My TL, on the other hand, I will bust my ass for. It all starts with leadership.

All in all, Target TMs are usually not people who abuse the system and slack off just for funsies. Most of them started off as (at the very least) okay workers and were then disappointed with leadership, payroll, etc, and figured, "why bother, they don't care about me."

You can't point at one thing that TMs do and say, this is the cause of all of Target's problems! Look at the reasons WHY a TM would feel it's okay to do this and you've got the real reasons people slack off or burn out.

And lastly, I have never advocated for a supervisor to not supervise their team (didn't realize RG is now a GSA? I thought she was still GS/SF who they were only dangling the promotion carrot in front of). However, I still stand by what I said: As a SF TM, I am going to do MY work and do MY work well and that's all that I need to worry about. My managers can deal with the rest, as it is THEIR jobs.

Oh get the **** off of your high horse. I didn't say that was the cause of Target's problems but if you don't think someone taking a 45 minute 15 on a daily basis won't impact others then you're just stupid. You add up someone taking an extra 30 minutes each day, which causes the person covering their area an extra 10 minutes (for simplicities sake because it's not always covering an area but some days it is), now add in the extra time needed for others to get the job done that the person wasn't there doing (factor in diminishing returns of having to stay late), add in the gossip time of others whining about how long of a break TM1 took, etc. and you could have had an extra shift on Saturday night or left on time.

Do you honestly think we have so much free time that we can monitor every TM every 15 minutes? That's why idiotic ideas such as the wave got implemented. If you're not willing to hold your peers accountable or challenge them on something they are doing wrong then you are average at best. Sure you may be a hard worker but there's more to it than that.

Your comment about not working as hard for your ETL as your TL tells me all I need to know about your personal work ethic. You see, I do the best job I can no matter who is my boss, until my decision to stop (from good or bad reasons). I don't need someone to come and pat me on the back and give me an attaboy. I guess our standards, work ethic, and integrity are just different. I don't fault you for that.

Oh get the **** off of your high horse. I didn't say that was the cause of Target's problems but if you don't think someone taking a 45 minute 15 on a daily basis won't impact others then you're just stupid. You add up someone taking an extra 30 minutes each day, which causes the person covering their area an extra 10 minutes (for simplicities sake because it's not always covering an area but some days it is), now add in the extra time needed for others to get the job done that the person wasn't there doing (factor in diminishing returns of having to stay late), add in the gossip time of others whining about how long of a break TM1 took, etc. and you could have had an extra shift on Saturday night or left on time.

Do you honestly think we have so much free time that we can monitor every TM every 15 minutes? That's why idiotic ideas such as the wave got implemented. If you're not willing to hold your peers accountable or challenge them on something they are doing wrong then you are average at best. Sure you may be a hard worker but there's more to it than that.

Your comment about not working as hard for your ETL as your TL tells me all I need to know about your personal work ethic. You see, I do the best job I can no matter who is my boss, until my decision to stop (from good or bad reasons). I don't need someone to come and pat me on the back and give me an attaboy. I guess our standards, work ethic, and integrity are just different. I don't fault you for that.
Yeah, you needing to throw a curse laced insult at me as your opener for your last two posts tells me all I need to know about you as well. Frankly, I won't respond to someone lacking the capability to argue without needing to throw that at the front of their posts for that dramatic punch.

That's fine, considering we both have completely opposite beliefs on what's right and wrong. It's like trying to explain to child why stealing candy is wrong but they just don't get it.

Meaning, it is none of my business if someone takes a 45 min break. If no one notices, it is not my problem, because eventually they will without you having to say anything. For example, when it's just you and said person on the floor and someone comes around looking for them and take note of the unusual amount of time they've been gone, they'll start to monitor them more closely. If you are asked, I would just say, "They're on break" and not "They're on break. Been gone for 45 mins!!!"

I frankly believe that if what someone is doing does not DIRECTLY affect me (as in I'd get in trouble for covering them), then it's best to just not get involved. And even if you work in the same dept and something doesn't get done because said person was gone for so long or slacking, you can just tell your TL, ETL, LOD, "Here's what I did, X, Y, and Z" and let the other person answer for their own actions. Be accountable for what you did, make it known that you have nothing to hide regarding what you worked on all day, and let the other person do the same for themselves. It is my belief that I do not need to inject myself in any un-needed drama. Remember, none of us are Target "perfect" 100% of the time and all that unnecessary providing of information to the higher ups can really come back to bite you in the butt if said TM finds out, and worse, if they rally other TMs against you to bring you down as well.

As for your last quote, I don't think that'll hold up too well in a world where your higher ups aren't as righteous as you and quite frankly don't give a damn most of the time.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this 100%...while I agree, it's not really necessary to involve myself in drama, I think if someone is taking a 45 minute break IN MY DEPARTMENT, it's not necessarily "going to be noticed eventually". It was happening in my pharmacy and that's an area where the ETL is in close proximity to the TMs, I can only imagine what happens when the ETLs AREN'T! In pharmacy, it was happening because we would get so busy, the "powers that be" would be focused on other things and not really be paying attention to the clock when people left/came back and it took someone (me and others) mentioning that certain TMs were "taking longer" for them to start taking note. When a TM in pharmacy would take 20-30 mins for their break it WOULD "directly affect me" because it meant I had to do THEIR job for that extra 5-15 minutes on top of "my job" (and sometimes meant I didn't get MY break because they weren't back from theirs!). It's STILL "theft", regardless of whether it's a "tangible" object or simply "time". AFA the "hot dog" scenario, the "hot dogs" ARE "merchandise"....are you also saying you wouldn't tell someone if you saw another TM handing out other merchandise (say clothing or toys or something like that) to TMs?

IMO, the "every man for themselves" ideology is part of the problem". Nobody thinks about being part of a "team". We are called TEAM Members for a reason. Maybe it's just my age or simply my work center. I know for a fact that our pharmacy wouldn't function if everyone there simply did "their" job and nothing else. Whenever we have a "floater" pharmacist, they are always pleasantly surprised at how well our pharmacy "flows" compared to others in our area because we don't really need to be told to do things, we just "do" them. I guess at other pharmacies, the pharmacists are constantly having to tell the techs to "do this" or "do that" and when someone goes on break, the pharmacist is the one who "moves" people around to "cover" them....we do all of that amongst ourselves. If there's something "special" that needs to be done, the pharmacist will ask one of us to take care of it, but other than that, we pretty much are self-sufficient as a team.

Last edited:
In my 45 minute break scenario, I was one of two hardlines people expected to get all pulls done, as well as be zoning quickly. My hardlines partner in crime that night was a ditzy ornament who couldn't zone her way out of a paper bag. As I have a brain, I had to go cover the 15 minute break in electronics that took over 45 minutes. And I'm the one that got nailed for not being further along on the zone.

In my 45 minute break scenario, I was one of two hardlines people expected to get all pulls done, as well as be zoning quickly. My hardlines partner in crime that night was a ditzy ornament who couldn't zone her way out of a paper bag. As I have a brain, I had to go cover the 15 minute break in electronics that took over 45 minutes. And I'm the one that got nailed for not being further along on the zone.

I get that all of the time when covering certain people's breaks at the fitting room....my thing to do is make sure I am not just sitting there (as some others do, not you I am sure) and can "speak" to what I did in that time. I let it slide for a long time but spoke up(again)to our TL after I went to lunch 20 minutes after the fitting room operator did and still had to clock back in before. I got the brush off. I then got frustrated about 2 months later when multiple people were pulling the 45 minute 15 that I took it to our STL (after getting the brush off from ETL and being told to call integrity hotline by a SrTL). The main person in question I haven't seen any real improvement but I have noticed that they are keeping closer tabs on everybody else. I also stated that my "breaks" usually take a bit longer because I make a point of getting the reshop from up front at the tail end of the break.

I get that all of the time when covering certain people's breaks at the fitting room....my thing to do is make sure I am not just sitting there (as some others do, not you I am sure) and can "speak" to what I did in that time. I let it slide for a long time but spoke up(again)to our TL after I went to lunch 20 minutes after the fitting room operator did and still had to clock back in before. I got the brush off. I then got frustrated about 2 months later when multiple people were pulling the 45 minute 15 that I took it to our STL (after getting the brush off from ETL and being told to call integrity hotline by a SrTL). The main person in question I haven't seen any real improvement but I have noticed that they are keeping closer tabs on everybody else. I also stated that my "breaks" usually take a bit longer because I make a point of getting the reshop from up front at the tail end of the break.

When I cover electronics, I spend my time during the holidays wandering around electronics/toys asking CIHYFS until everyone has run away because I've asked so much (ok, not quite that much). And the rest of the time, I am either helping them with their strays or their zoning duties. So they get a lot of bang for their buck when they take their break/lunch and I'm covering. And the ETLs get that. But they don't get that I've spent so much time over there, because I can't leave because the main TM isn't back yet, that my own stuff on the other side of the store has to slide.

Man, I can't believe people taking 45 minute breaks. If I forget the time and accidentally take a 20, I feel so guilty. We have a couple of 4 am BR TMs that really stretch their breaks, especially their last one. I get that only doing backstock is boring, but c'mon. When I'm swamped in boxes and vehicles... to look up and realize I've been alone back there for at least half an hour, it's ridiculous.

My hardlines partner in crime that night was a ditzy ornament who couldn't zone her way out of a paper bag.

Love that quote - and yes, I have worked with many of those in my over 6 years. And then you get the talking to from the TL who just can't understand why your zone isn't finished and what is finished is done very half hazardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back