To that one Team Member - II

For the record, I had the RFID gun handy. I don't venture into softlines without it. It didn't hit on anything in the general area where softlines told me to look for the item. And, yes, helping OPU is explicitly part of those TMs' jobs. It's priority 1 at my store. Unless with a guest all TMs are expected to help OPU when requested in their sections at the drop of a hat. We're picking things for guests who have already spent their money to buy the items. Per DTL, such requests are to be treated as if the guest herself is in the store asking for help. I don't have to fold clothes in my spare time (such a thing exists?) to expect help when requested from a TM in her section. It's their job to help. Just like I don't have to stock milk in my spare time to get help from market when needed.

I'm required to write down in the daily INF notes which TMs I asked for help before INFing. If those TMs don't want to be helpful, welp I guess they don't have to be. 🤷‍♂️ They can take the hit for something not being found in their section. I'll actually be quite pleased if it means less hours for them and more for the softlines TMs who are helpful.

I don't have to fold clothes in my spare time (such a thing exists?) to expect help when requested from a TM in her section. It's their job to help. Just like I don't have to stock milk in my spare time to get help from market when needed.

no, you don't HAVE to do anything. this isn't a sweat shop. i help other teams when i have spare time because i'm a team player. it also has the added bonus of making me more familiar with different parts of the store. as a result, i'm probably better at navigating softlines than you (even without RFID). i bet you'd get more help if you got off your OPU high horse and stopped acting so uppity. i wouldn't be jumping up to help you either lol

no, you don't HAVE to do anything. this isn't a sweat shop. i help other teams when i have spare time because i'm a team player. it also has the added bonus of making me more familiar with different parts of the store. as a result, i'm probably better at navigating softlines than you (even without RFID). i bet you'd get more help if you got off your OPU high horse and stopped acting so uppity. i wouldn't be jumping up to help you either lol
Not a sweatshop and yet you say that when you are working softlines OPU/SFS has to fold your tables and push your Zs before you help them. How about you get off your high horse and quit demanding people do your work before you raise a hand to help them. I would have no problem helping @seasonaldude with his OPUs/SFSs because, as he says, it's helping a guest who has already given us money.

Not a sweatshop and yet you say that when you are working softlines OPU/SFS has to fold your tables and push your Zs before you help them. How about you get off your high horse and quit demanding people do your work before you raise a hand to help them. I would have no problem helping @seasonaldude with his OPUs/SFSs because, as he says, it's helping a guest who has already given us money.

idk what you're smoking but for the third time, I DON'T WORK IN SOFTLINES. like seasonaldude, i pick order pickup. when i don't have any picks, i offer to help out other people.

put down the pipe before posting online

Well you are certainly unclear because you said that at your store OPU pushes your Zs and folds your tables. And what tasks are you neglecting when you have all this supposed free time to help? I can't believe the back room runs itself at your store, it doesn't run itself at my store.

And having seen the VM get so mad about how the Zs were pushed that she walked off on an immediate break (sweaters with short sleeve shirts on the same 4 way, dresses with pants, pink and red, clashing patterns, etc) if you are "helping" with Zs but not softlines trained are you certain you are doing it right? Or are you doing things that have to be undone?

Let me help clarify

@REDcardJJ is a GSA

He works OPU too

On his free time, he helps other departments. Softlines including

Which means he had built a partnership with the other teams. A scratch my back and I'll scratch your back situation

Not too hard to understand?

We have some flex order folks who ask for help, are constantly stressed and can't seem to ever get the labels to work. Others look zen as heck.

Well you are certainly unclear because you said that at your store OPU pushes your Zs and folds your tables. And what tasks are you neglecting when you have all this supposed free time to help? I can't believe the back room runs itself at your store, it doesn't run itself at my store.

And having seen the VM get so mad about how the Zs were pushed that she walked off on an immediate break (sweaters with short sleeve shirts on the same 4 way, dresses with pants, pink and red, clashing patterns, etc) if you are "helping" with Zs but not softlines trained are you certain you are doing it right? Or are you doing things that have to be undone?

a couple things:

1. I said: "on my OPU shifts when i'm slow i'll help them touch up their tables or help someone work a z, and in return they're way more willing to help me when i need it "
  2. when my job is "pick OPU, pick drive up, run drive up outside" and there are no OPUs to be picked, no drive ups to be picked, and no drive up guests on the way, my job is complete. therefore, i have the time to float around the store and help.
  3. we don't have a backroom team, we are end-to-end
  4. it isn't rocket science to fold clothes

Wow. I've really struck a nerve. Sorry, but most softlines TMs actually ask what OPU needs when we enter their zones and help out without being requested to do so because that's what good TMs do. Bad TMs exist, however. Must suck for you to be at a store where you need to do things for other TMs to get their assistance. But, maybe that's just you and the charming way you have of making assumptions about what other people are doing and their relationships with other TMs in their stores. You'll find zero complaints at my store about me helping other workcenters and it's quite an assinine assumption to think the opposite would be true if I'm venting about a couple of TMs who aren't helpful.

He also seems to have an expectation that everyone must work in each other's area to be eligible to receive help. Nope. If OPU/SFS doesn't help it doesn't mean that softlines doesn't have to fetch the right item for a paying guest, which is their job, softlines should help secure items for guests even if the guest is not in their face.

And while it isn't rocket science, there's a world of difference between a proper fold and a sloppy fold by someone who doesn't know better. Are you certain your creases are right and the amount you tuck in the bottom is right? Fixing shitty folds is a ridiculous waste of time when the first person doesn't do it right and I spend too much time having to fix those folds.

He also seems to have an expectation that everyone must work in each other's area to be eligible to receive help. Nope. If OPU/SFS doesn't help it doesn't mean that softlines doesn't have to fetch the right item for a paying guest, which is their job, softlines should help secure items for guests even if the guest is not in their face.

And while it isn't rocket science, there's a world of difference between a proper fold and a sloppy fold by someone who doesn't know better. Are you certain your creases are right and the amount you tuck in the bottom is right? Fixing shitty folds is a ridiculous waste of time when the first person doesn't do it right and I spend too much time having to fix those folds.

take some night school classes and learn to read, lady

i'm done with you

You really are interepting his words wrong

No where did he say that you should help them out to receive help. Stop being dense

You really are interepting his words wrong

No where did he say that you should help them out to receive help. Stop being dense

Yeah, it's said a lot. See the quotes below, how every one of them said REDcardJJ helps to get the departments, including softlines, to do their job in assisting in getting items. It's not they are helping REDcardJJ in his task, it's their task too because it involves a guest getting product from their section. They are getting paid to help REDcardJJ get the items, their job, REDcardJJ should not feel he has to do their other jobs just to get them to do their task of helping him without strings.

otherwise, more likely than not other team members are willing to help you out if you put in the effort to build a rapport with them.

Flat out says gotta do their tasks. Oh, "help", doesn't matter, their tasks, they are the ones being paid to do them.
yes, when i have free time i stop and help out other areas of the store. in return, said areas of the store are more inclined to help me out when i need it.

Again "help", in other words do their tasks for them in order to get them to do their task of helping a guest out.
so that they're more inclined to help me rather than focus on whatever task they're doing.

It's their damned task, they shouldn't have to be paid with not having to do other tasks because you "help" do their tasks for them just to get them to focus on the online guest for a few minutes.
i help other teams when i have spare time

"Help" to secure cooperation for other departments to do their job in assisting a (online) guest.

Yeah, it's said a lot. See the quotes below, how every one of them said REDcardJJ helps to get the departments, including softlines, to do their job in assisting in getting items. It's not they are helping REDcardJJ in his task, it's their task too because it involves a guest getting product from their section. They are getting paid to help REDcardJJ get the items, their job, REDcardJJ should not feel he has to do their other jobs just to get them to do their task of helping him without strings.

Flat out says gotta do their tasks. Oh, "help", doesn't matter, their tasks, they are the ones being paid to do them.

Again "help", in other words do their tasks for them in order to get them to do their task of helping a guest out.

It's their damned task, they shouldn't have to be paid with not having to do other tasks because you "help" do their tasks for them just to get them to focus on the online guest for a few minutes.

"Help" to secure cooperation for other departments to do their job in assisting a (online) guest.

i bet you have a ton of friends

Well considering that our main SFS/OPU guy gave me a hug when he told me he was leaving, I think I'm doing something right.

Edit: And please take note that I say people should do things without expectation of reciprocal action. Help each other without strings, without certainty of getting something in return. Not a bad way to live life.

Last edited:
Well considering that our main SFS/OPU guy gave me a hug when he told me he was leaving, I think I'm doing something right.

Edit: And please take note that I say people should do things without expectation of reciprocal action. Help each other without strings, without certainty of getting something in return. Not a bad way to live life.

I think you're confused. Maybe you need some essential oils or healing crystals.

no, you don't HAVE to do anything. this isn't a sweat shop. i help other teams when i have spare time because i'm a team player

You assume that every store's OPU peeps have time between orders. My store's OPU are afraid to take their 15's because they get a chat for missing goal times because they are that busy. My store essentially had an overall sales increase only because of the HUGE increase in OPU/Drive Up/SFS. Unfortunately, our staffing level hasn't caught up with online ordering.

You assume that every store's OPU peeps have time between orders. My store's OPU are afraid to take their 15's because they get a chat for missing goal times because they are that busy. My store essentially had an overall sales increase only because of the HUGE increase in OPU/Drive Up/SFS. Unfortunately, our staffing level hasn't caught up with online ordering.

Pretty much. Unless another OPU regular is in the building asssigned to another WC, 15s are unofficial: go sit down somewhere, leave notifications on, come back early if necessary, clear the queue, resume break (hopefully). Meals are just a time for hoping that whoever is assigned to cover remembers to do so and doesn't ruin the metrics too much. Hours are based on projected sales, which are based on last year's numbers. When I left after yesterday's shift online sales were at 996.7% of the projected daily forecast. Hours cannot be reallocated to reflect current sales because every other area of the store is already cut too deep.

Still, while it is increasingly becoming less and less, there's always some downtime without anything in the queue wherein I'll help other areas of the store. Depending on store needs at the moment, the assigned OPU person will do reshop, backstock, process STS, zone, audit, help keep an eye on the lanes, grab fixtures for resets, or pretty much anything else that is easily droppable when a batch comes in. The idea that having some bad, unhelpful TMs means that I must not be helping others is absurd.

Pretty much. Unless another OPU regular is in the building asssigned to another WC, 15s are unofficial: go sit down somewhere, leave notifications on, come back early if necessary, clear the queue, resume break (hopefully). Meals are just a time for hoping that whoever is assigned to cover remembers to do so and doesn't ruin the metrics too much. Hours are based on projected sales, which are based on last year's numbers. When I left after yesterday's shift online sales were at 996.7% of the projected daily forecast. Hours cannot be reallocated to reflect current sales because every other area of the store is already cut too deep.

Still, while it is increasingly becoming less and less, there's always some downtime without anything in the queue wherein I'll help other areas of the store. Depending on store needs at the moment, the assigned OPU person will do reshop, backstock, process STS, zone, audit, help keep an eye on the lanes, grab fixtures for resets, or pretty much anything else that is easily droppable when a batch comes in. The idea that having some bad, unhelpful TMs means that I must not be helping others is absurd.

you assume that every store is shitty and understaffed 🤷‍♀

TTOTM: I don't know why you need to make a repetitive loop through the backroom to the water fountain every 10 minutes. Your step count is high, but you aren't pushing freight and you certainly aren't zoning. But you are taking hours from hard-working TM's who could be doing what you aren't.

TTOTMs: I left the baler squished so that the cardboard wouldn't fall out of it. I appreciate you putting it back up so I could spend twenty minutes cleaning up all the cardboard that fell out of it when I lifted the gate. I didn't want to do anything else tonight. Thanks.

Baler hack: if it's cascading out towards you, leave the baler squished for about ten minutes or so, and it flattens out. Then throw the rest of the cardboard.

Back