To that one Team Member - II

This weekend, a GSA scheduled for a cashier shift sent the GS TM to a lane and she worked GS. Happens alot, particularly when certain GSAs are working.

in their defense, just because you're scheduled under the service desk workcenter doesn't mean that's where the business needs you right now. in any case, putting a GSA at the service desk means that the GSTL doesn't need to pay very much (if any) attention to it because the GSA can act as "the manager" and handle any overrides or other situations that would require GSTL intervention. i can't speak for your specific GSAs, and i'd personally prefer to cashier if i was scheduled to cashier (i kinda hate the service desk), but there is definitely a legitimate case to be made for what they did.

in their defense, just because you're scheduled under the service desk workcenter doesn't mean that's where the business needs you right now

What you said makes sense. However, my store has a few GSAs that find cashiering "beneath" them.

In this case, the GSTM is a long time vet. We happened to have 3 GSA trained TMs working at the time, but 2 of them won't cashier anymore.

I used to have the mindset of “what do you mean you want me to cashier who do you think I am” but now I hate GS so much I’m begging to be in SCO

in their defense, just because you're scheduled under the service desk workcenter doesn't mean that's where the business needs you right now. in any case, putting a GSA at the service desk means that the GSTL doesn't need to pay very much (if any) attention to it because the GSA can act as "the manager" and handle any overrides or other situations that would require GSTL intervention. i can't speak for your specific GSAs, and i'd personally prefer to cashier if i was scheduled to cashier (i kinda hate the service desk), but there is definitely a legitimate case to be made for what they did.
But that means that someone else is making the decision of what the business needs are and telling you where you are needed, not you looking at having a cashier shift and then deciding that the business doesn't need you there. Picking and choosing your own assignments is something for your convenience, not what is best for the store.

But that means that someone else is making the decision of what the business needs are and telling you where you are needed, not you looking at having a cashier shift and then deciding that the business doesn't need you there. Picking and choosing your own assignments is something for your convenience, not what is best for the store.

i mean you’re just assuming that these are unilateral decisions

BRTL: Hey would you be willing to train in receiving in case we need someone for Saturdays

Me, fully prepared to train and then leverage receiving training into a fulltime job elsewhere:

Obama.png

What you said makes sense. However, my store has a few GSAs that find cashiering "beneath" them.

At my old store, it wasn't so much GSAs doing this, but people who were scheduled service desk or photo. I can't remember how many times I was told by TMs that they should be "only" service desk or photo, because that's where they get the bulk of their shifts, etc. etc. etc., or they were "too good" to cashier. Yeah, nope, kids. Also - why are you complaining to me? Talk to the GSTL or HR.

In my store they ARE when it comes to 2 specific GSA trained TMs.

so they’re just making changes without checking with the GSTL or GSA on shift? i’d never let that happen on my shift but it i have another GSA with me i’m going to prefer to put them at service desk so i don’t need to worry about overrides or complicated guest situations over there.

so they’re just making changes without checking with the GSTL or GSA on shift? i’d never let that happen on my shift but it i have another GSA with me i’m going to prefer to put them at service desk so i don’t need to worry about overrides or complicated guest situations over there.
I have to agree— someone with Supervisor numbers should have priority at the desk

The front end works well when you can move people around.
This. If target is serious about eliminating SD and cashier positions, they NEED to have better training systems in place. Honestly, if I were them, I would’ve waited until New POS is out to do this.

You can’t throw a new cashier at the service desk without training... I hope ETLs know that lol since Corp obviously doesnt

Yeah can't say this is true. That level of thought most likely wasn't put into it.

The front end works well when you can move people around. If switching a GSA and a guest service TM is going to work best, you better believe I'm going to make that switch.
But the complaint wasn't that a GSTL switched things around, it was that a GSA scheduled for a cashier shift took it upon themselves to change their own duty assignment. Apples and oranges.

But the complaint wasn't that a GSTL switched things around, it was that a GSA scheduled for a cashier shift took it upon themselves to change their own duty assignment. Apples and oranges.
We have one GSA who flatly said, no cashier shifts or I quit. I personally don't care. My preference is to have variety, and the new model provides that.

I have to agree— someone with Supervisor numbers should have priority at the desk

Not just supervisor numbers...there are some service desk TMs who can get really snippy with guests, and it usually ends up being the GSAs that fix the problem with an upset guest. (And they're a lot nicer about it...) We had one TM chewing out a guest over an order pickup back in Q4, and all we needed to know was how to cancel the order. GSA comes over and boom, fixed. So I'm okay with them at the desk at my current store.

Not just supervisor numbers...there are some service desk TMs who can get really snippy with guests, and it usually ends up being the GSAs that fix the problem with an upset guest. (And they're a lot nicer about it...) We had one TM chewing out a guest over an order pickup back in Q4, and all we needed to know was how to cancel the order. GSA comes over and boom, fixed. So I'm okay with them at the desk at my current store.
If GSTMs are getting snippy w guests they shouldn’t be GSTMs then lol. It’s our job to be happy and smiling even when we want to kill the person in front of us

If GSTMs are getting snippy w guests they shouldn’t be GSTMs then lol. It’s our job to be happy and smiling even when we want to kill the person in front of us

My thoughts exactly. The guest is already upset or causing a scene or whatever, don't make it worse. But then again, I'm a people pleaser lol. And if you don't know the answer to a question, find someone who does and who can explain it. (we didn't need a shouting match over $1.50 deodorant, but that's what it turned into before the GSA came over.)

Back