To that one Team Member - II

The older I get the more I realize that there isn't nearly as much correlation between age and maturity than it seems like there should be. At least with young people there's still the expectation of mentoring and whatnot, but when you have 40+yos who still haven't left high school it's a hell of a lot harder.

To that/those overnight dry market tm/tms at my store:
How do you still over flex and overstock the wrong shelves and leave the aisles a mess with cases on the floor for other tms to clean up? You have NO guests to interrupt you or to ask you to find an item, no back stocking responsibilities, and absolutely no crowds to deal with. It's appalling and I'm far from the only daytime market tm to complain about it!

To anyone in leadership (STL, ETL-SE, ETL-AP, etc.): Is there anyway that someone can put up a sign near the baby formula stating that the limit is 4 per guest? We've had so many guests complaining that there was no sign about the limit on baby formula and it's becoming a real pain to deal with for myself and the front-end team leads when we have to confront guests buying more than 4.

Last edited:
How does that limit work with WIC checks?
That's a good point. The sign should acknowledge that guests using WIC are able to buy up to what their check allows them to buy but for any other guests, the limit is 4. I'm guessing that most stores have issues with resellers buying baby formula and making a profit, which is why AP wants us to limit baby formula for each guest.

Edit: I know that Target policy states that they have the right to limit quantities (not sure if it's posted somewhere in our store), but this issue seems to happen frequently with baby formula in particular, which is why I think that my store should have already put up a sign that states 4 baby formula per guest per day.

Last edited:
That's a good point. The sign should acknowledge that guests using WIC are able to buy up to what their check allows them to buy but for any other guests, the limit is 4. I'm guessing that most stores have issues with resellers buying baby formula and making a profit, which is why AP wants us to limit baby formula for each guest.

Edit: I know that Target policy states that they have the right to limit quantities (not sure if it's posted somewhere in our store), but this issue seems to happen frequently with baby formula in particular, which is why I think that my store should have already put up a sign that states 4 baby formula per guest per day.
I always thought the limits on baby formula were due to drug dealers buying it in bulk to cut with powdered drugs. Grocery stores in our area used to have formula locked up in the front of the store because it is a high-theft item. Haven't noticed recently if they still do that though.

I always thought the limits on baby formula were due to drug dealers buying it in bulk to cut with powdered drugs. Grocery stores in our area used to have formula locked up in the front of the store because it is a high-theft item. Haven't noticed recently if they still do that though.
Baby formula? There's a lot of things that are cheaper. What's so special about baby formula?

It could be that as well. I've seen signs on the floor limiting hand sanitizer or wipes (that could be taken down since we now have more than enough wipes and hand sanitizer compared to the beginning of the pandemic) so I'm just wondering why no one has thought to put up a sign regarding baby formula.

Beats me. They cut drugs with a lot of different things, from what I've read. At least baby formula is safe to consume, unlike laundry detergent.
Baby formula is also huge for resellers. Our store limits it because we have folks who come in and clear the shelves of it so they can go make a profit off of it. Especially if it's on sale or a gift card promo.

Baby formula? There's a lot of things that are cheaper. What's so special about baby formula?
They set up multiple accounts with the manufacturer to get coupons for free formula, pretending to have newborns. Then they use those coupons to get free formula, which they turn around and sell to inner city party stores to sell. (The party stores pay less for it than the manufacturer sells it for.) The party stores take WIC, so our tax dollars are supporting a fraud scheme. This is also why only specific formula sizes get stolen, because WIC is only good on specific sizes of each formula.

Ugh, people are literally the worst.

At my store, we have a helluva time keeping the smallest cans in stock, because that's all WIC will pay for. So, people come in and show me their checks that say "9 of the tiny cans" which is LITERALLY THE MOST EXPENSIVE WAY TO GET PEOPLE FORMULA so in addition to wasting taxpayer money and forcing people to go to multiple stores to get what they need (because we often run out) the rigidity supports fraud, too.

Fucking awesome. Seriously, this country's determination to prevent the "wrong" people from getting any sort of benefit at all is what's going to do it in. Jesus Christ people, stop punishing us all by trying to punish those you think are less than you. For fuck's sake.

I actually spoke to my ETL-AP about putting signs up for the baby formula limits but she doesn't want to do it. When another AP team member heard about it, he implied it was because stopping guests buying more than four baby formula counts as a case. Ugh, it seems counter-intuitive since it will inevitably upset guests but what can I do?

TTOTM: You're a nice kid, and more willing to backup the lanes than most grocery TMs, so Imma cut you a little slack, but proselytizing in the breakroom is no bueno, mi amigo.

I work with an actual pastor of a church and he doesn't do that.
We do discuss religion because he knows I'm Jewish and we both find the topic interesting.

This was more of an ambush at the end of my break time than anything. I should have seen it coming, when he started with "what blows my mind" and then starts talking about how stuff has changed since the start of COVID, as though we hadn't all been there the whole time, but I had been listening to an excellent BBC4 Radio production of a Neil Gaiman fairy tale and I wasn't really ready to pay attention to a real world convo to begin with.

To the ETL-AP: Why would you take the cart attendant (or should I say Front of Store attendant) keys without telling the ETL-SE, SETL or anyone else in leadership? I was blamed for "losing" the keys when I was certain that I put them back where the keys are stored on Saturday night. Just very confusing and it seems like there was a lack of communication.

TTOTM: When I keep putting an item in your bin, I put it there for a reason. Yet it keeps ending up back in my bin. Three times. Obviously one of us scanned it and the other didn’t.
I have taken items that keep ending up in my reshop and put the damn things back myself. I've also stuck post-it notes on things emphasizing that the item is NOT Softlines and spelling out where it actually belongs.

I have taken items that keep ending up in my reshop and put the damn things back myself. I've also stuck post-it notes on things emphasizing that the item is NOT Softlines and spelling out where it actually belongs.
Yeah I eventually put the item back, begrudgingly. I considered putting a sticky note they says "SCAN".

To be fair, it was pink tissue paper that looked like it could've been seasonal, but it belonged in stationary. They should've gotten the hint the third time I put it back in their bin.

Back