Archived Tps questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey so I noticed the other day that my store is hiring for a tps. I am currently a cashier and have been with target for about a year. I'm Interested in the position for multiple reasons, it sounds a lot better than cashiering (both more fulfilling and interesting) not to mention the pay raise and full time. I'm pretty confident I could do it but my boyfriend did point out that I'm a smallish (like 5'2) female and not a very threatening presence for the store. Do think that would pose a problem? And what do they look for in a good tps?

My stores TPS's were both girls, the last one was like 5 foot and the girl before was like 5'3. I have seen in instagram videos as well stores with both girl TPS'es that weren't huge.
So no, your height and being a female will not cause you an issue. Most people as a "threatening presence", with TPS - most boosters/shoplifters don't want to get caught and they have the mindset that TPS can apprehend or call cops. And people will want to ditch and get away. But if they're experienced or willing to fight, you did your best. So the shirt & the presence will do it's job. Your worry of "being 5'2 and female" though, got to ask yourself if you can handle the job. My APS is about 5'6 and 100 pounds tops. Don't go to TPS just because of the small pay raise and full time though. Do it because you'll enjoy it.

Good TPS:
-If your a previous TM, they want a reliable TM who won't call out.
-Not afraid of confrontation
-Physical work (from what i've learned here, it's just not physical work)
-Smart and knowledgable, someone who will learn whats a good call and not. No bad stops.
-Able to learn quickly (learn shoplifter behavior)

Stuff like that..

My ETL-AP wants me to become a TPS, so does the APS of the store. I've made numerous good call-outs and i've had a few non-AP PMRs, obviously not every call out is perfect though but being the fact i can tell shoplifter behavior & keep merch protected is why they like me.

One thing I've learned is it's not about the size of the man in the fight, but the size of the fight in the man. What does that mean? If you have thick skin, good judgement, good communication, and mental strength, you'd do just fine as a TPS.

The chances you'll put your hands on someone at Target as a TPS are pretty slim. Your judgement and verbal de-escalation skills are a lot more important.

Your day will mostly consist of taking inventory counts, putting security tools on merchandise, working with the front to get guest receipts printed, checking the parking lot, reviewing CCTV footage to document theft, and standing at the front doors. You may recover merchandise only in certain situations, none of which will involve you apprehending someone. If you're lucky and you have an APS (plainclothes AP tm), you'll get to help them with apprehensions. As for your safety, I wouldn't be concerned. Target has AP directives that neutralize a lot of the risks associated with loss prevention work. Of course there's always an inherent risk to dealing with the crazies. Your judgement plays a big role in your personal safety, more so than the AP directives. Every now and then you'll have to deal with domestic disturbances and disturbed panhandlers.

Imo, being TPS is great LP experience. Definitely looks good on a resume as Target has some pretty kickass AP tools. Definitely the best gig in the store.

Last edited:
Don't go to TPS just because of the small pay raise and full time though. Do it because you'll enjoy it.
I think I will, I don't know yet. I just want to be challenged more

Do you need any prior experience or degrees etc to to TPS?? Interested as well...

Just need to be over 18, have a high school diploma or GED, and pass a drug test.

Yeah we had a lot of applicants for the position though so put out some feelers with the APTL or ETL AP.

As a TPS you are much more of a detective. It's a pretty hands off job.

Just need to be over 18, have a high school diploma or GED, and pass a drug test.

Btw how's your new etl ap?

@HRZone - I lost my ETL-AP for an APTL. And oh my god I could not be happier. They're awesome. Spent 2 years as a Senior TPS before going to the IC, and now back in the stores. Lets us do real AP work, not just stand at the door all day. It's awesome.

It wouldn't pose a problem since TPS is basically a door greeter job now with some inventory checks and spider wrapping thrown in. Depends on the district and store, but you'll be expected to stand at the doors for HOURS.

It wouldn't pose a problem since TPS is basically a door greeter job now with some inventory checks and spider wrapping thrown in. Depends on the district and store, but you'll be expected to stand at the doors for HOURS.
This. I'm extremely lucky to have a leader that sees the positive impact a TPS can have on shortage reduction when we're not standing at the front all day. But the job company wide is turning into a greeter position.

Last edited:
Good point , if a 8O year old man can do it, a woman can try as well.

Not all stores (Thank god) are like that! I only see my TPS standing by guest service (near the door) by choice and that's for like 20-30 minutes tops every now and then.

Hey so I noticed the other day that my store is hiring for a tps. I am currently a cashier and have been with target for about a year. I'm Interested in the position for multiple reasons, it sounds a lot better than cashiering (both more fulfilling and interesting) not to mention the pay raise and full time. I'm pretty confident I could do it but my boyfriend did point out that I'm a smallish (like 5'2) female and not a very threatening presence for the store. Do think that would pose a problem? And what do they look for in a good tps?
That is not a problem. We have a 4'11 110 pound girl. She is tough as nails though.

Anything is possible but you gotta have better reasons than "it's better than being a cashier with more hours and a pay raise".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back