Archived TPS Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcardroy

ETL-AP
Hey guys, I'm interested in the TPS position but I have a few questions...

1. How frequent is injury for a TPS involved in an apprehension?
  2. Can you carry any sort of non-lethal weapon (pepper spray, stun gun, etc.) at work?
  3. How often does your AP team make apprehensions at your store -- and are you considered a riskier store than others?
  4. If you're a TPS, have you ever had a physical altercation with a customer? How long did you work in that position before the incident?
I'm really interested in the TPS position but I fear for my safety. Of course, Ross Nelson is only my alias ;)

Thanks in advance!

2. Can you carry any sort of non-lethal weapon (pepper spray, stun gun, etc.) at work?
  3. How often does your AP team make apprehensions at your store -- and are you considered a riskier store than others?
  4. If you're a TPS, have you ever had a physical altercation with a customer? How long did you work in that position before the incident?
I'm really interested in the TPS position but I fear for my safety. Of course, Ross Nelson is only my alias ;)

Thanks in advance!

1.) I've never heard of an injury happening on an apprehension. If you get in a situation where you could potentially get injured you're doing it wrong and you are going to get yelled at.

2.) Oh god no! Why would you think this?

3.) Depends on the store/market/risk level. TPS's are traditionally in higher risk stores but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you end up in a store with an APS and TPS team expect to see some shit.

4.) Physical altercation? Like fist fight? Hell no. We as AP aren't there to get in physical altercations. As a TPS you are there to protect the brand and if the situation calls for it intervene but at the end of the day we are just security not law enforcement. Observe and report is the name of the game. Now in apprehensions you will probably end up supporting the apprehension by utilizing Non-Violent intervention/team move.

Thanks in advance!
1. I've never seen a tps get injured during an apprehension. It's rare.
2. No weapons are to be carried. Only what target provides which are handcuffs, flashlight, disposable gloves and a radio.
3. Depends on the area/market you're in. If you have an APS you should get a few stops. My last store I only had a Senior TPS and an ETL-AP and we rarely got anything due to the area we were in.
4. As far as a physical confrontation with a guest, other than apprehensions I never had one when I was there. They may get verbal which I had a few of those but I was able to calm them down. Remember this position is all about liability and if you can talk someone out of a fight instead of going directly at them it's a better decision. Always keep your feelings in check when this happens and stay professional no matter what they say to you.

This is an awesome position to have at target and for sure go for it!

Thanks for the input guys! I just have to go through the STL interview and I'm in.

A tps at my store was shot. Beware you are wearing a uniform. If shit goes down like a mass shooting. You're the first dead.

If you fear your safety doing tps. I would not apply. 2nd doubting yourself is not a good thing. You are not allow to append anyone, just watch them. Tps is not an easy job, there is a lot of responsibility with that job.
From our tps guide:
Depending on your store scheduling and structure, an APTL/ETL-AP or another AP member may perform these duties.
Morning Duties-
First, after you’re clocked in and been in 209, you should go ahead and check critical equipment. Target defines the following as critical –

Cameras-
All exterior cameras for parking lot surveillance, receiving, etc.
Cash Office
Front/Check Lane PTZ
Guest Service Desk
AP Room/209

To test these, just use the controller and make sure PTZ will zoom and tilt. For the static cameras, just make sure there giving a picture.

Public View Monitors-

Guest Service
Team Member Entrance
Fitting Room(s)
Store Entrance(s)
While your store may have other monitors, there not defined as critical equipment.

As far as testing them goes, just make sure there powered on and displaying their camera view.

If any of this is not working, you should alert your APTL/ETL-AP, who should alert the District Asset Protection Team Leader. (Yes, that is a mouth full)
In some districts, your DAPTL will be APBP.

Once that is completed, you should now grab the PITL log. This will vary by location, but the same task should be completed. You will sweep through the listed aisles and look for empty packaging and hand count the listed items.
^This process is also repeated just before store closing.

That basically summarizes the morning duties. If you’re at an Analog Store, you will have additional responsibilities of changing the tapes.

The best place to find answers in AP is the directives book that should be in your AP Office. If not, you can find additional copies of it, on workbench, under AP Zone.

A case of an AP team member getting shot is rare. The only person Ive heard died was an old tps who had a heart attack during an apprehension.

Honestly, the majority of your time will be spent getting carts, taking the ad down, setting the ad up, pushing the line, etc. Just like any other team member, except now you get to do it in a polyester police costume. Target doesn't care about theft, unless a team member is doing it.

Honestly, the majority of your time will be spent getting carts, taking the ad down, setting the ad up, pushing the line, etc. Just like any other team member, except now you get to do it in a polyester police costume. Target doesn't care about theft, unless a team member is doing it.

Do most stores have their TPS people do this? The ones at my store never do.

Granted, we have four of the regular police costume people and one plain-clothes person, so I think we're considered higher risk.

At my store my TPS refuses to do anything non AP. He has called the hotline many times. Apparently they're not allowed.

My day generally looks like this:

10:55 AM: Punch in. You can't get it over with if you don't get it started.
Cruise the table in the break room for some out-of-date snacks. Check in with the I.C.
11:00 AM: Print out the Perpetual Inventory, check the share point site.
11:15 AM Cover a break in Electronics.
11:45 AM Input the PI, start a TCM for any of the missing stuff.
12:15 PM Never mind the TCM right now, can help the back pull the 12's?
12:45 PM Speed Weave while the GSTL jumps on a lane
12:50 PM Carts! Not so bad, now that it's warm.
2:39 PM Break
2:55 PM Back to that TCM
3:30 PM Audit/Empty the empty package bin. Start another TCM.
4:15 PM Cart Attendant called in can you...
4:45 PM Lunch!
5:15 PM This lady said she didn't get her gift card can you look it up?
5:30 PM Stand at the door. Little kids and old people treat me like a mascot
5:40 PM Can you help me set these Sales Planners? By help she means do it for her.
6:30 PM CARTS!!!
7:15 PM Do you have time for a pull?
7:35 PM Screw you guys, I'm going home!

Granted, not every day is like this. Some days are worse and some days I get to do actual AP stuff. When I brought this up to my APBP she said to Bookmark when I was outside getting carts as a Parking Lot Check in TVS, and to work pulls in high theft areas. A bit glib but I give her points for coming up with so quickly.

Put the video games in a keeper and send them up front. Usually it's not much more than that. I've only ever had to walk up lock up hardware once or twice.

Cruise the table in the break room for some out-of-date snacks. Check in with the I.C.
5:40 PM Can you help me set these Sales Planners? By help she means do it for her.

Granted, not every day is like this. Some days are worse and some days I get to do actual AP stuff. When I brought this up to my APBP she said to Bookmark when I was outside getting carts as a Parking Lot Check in TVS, and to work pulls in high theft areas. A bit glib but I give her points for coming up with so quickly.
You could be fired for going agasint the directives....why would you get carts? And running a POS is highly agasint the directives

You could be fired for going agasint the directives....why would you get carts? And running a POS is highly agasint the directives

Because the ETL told him to?
I'm sure if he wants to risk getting performanced out he could say that it is not part of his job but bills don't pay themselves.

Our TPS helps out with carts when we have a cart blitz and he's around. Carryouts, spills, and every once in a while backroom stuff as well (former BR TM). Just a helpful guy and a friend of mine.

Your directives are to do whatever you're told to do, unless it's illegal or unethical.

I get carts for a few reasons. I can't stand the look on the guests stupid sheep faces when they come in and see the carts are all gone. They always ask where all the carts are and I tell them they probably walked by 70 in the parking lot. Or the Captain Obvious' in the crowd who states All the carts are gone! I just tell them that I know, someone keeps taking them outside. Listen to that for 10 minutes and you'll be running outside to grab carts in no time. It's just easier than listening to the repetition.

I can't run a POS, my numbers won't work. If I'm covering a break most of the time it's just answering questions or getting stuff out of lock up. I thought I made this clear. Vidya I put in keepers and send them away, any lock up hardware I walk up front to IGS.

Or the Captain Obvious' in the crowd who states All the carts are gone! I just tell them that I know, someone keeps taking them outside. Listen to that for 10 minutes and you'll be running outside to grab carts in no time. It's just easier than listening to the repetition.

Let me reword that.

Captain Obvious who says "All the carts are gone!" and then glares at any Target team member without actually saying anything to said team member.

That's what I used to do all the time too. I didn't want guests to start asking me where the carts were. The thing is I would gather carts in the lot and then guests start asking me questions like "what are you doing?!" Lol! It does look unusual for a TPS in uniform to push carts.

My store's AP team consists of an APTL and a Sr. TPS. Does this suggest the location isn't as risky? My APTL says there'll be times I'll be working AP alone. Would this mean I'd have more freedom to watch over the CCTV in the AP office rather than do front duty when I'm the only AP TM?

You'll be wearing the polyester to be a visible presence at the door. Kinda like the little old ladies at Wal Mart. You wouldn't be a visible presence in the AP office. That's not to say you wouldn't be able to watch the cameras, just know that the ETLs will call you out if they notice you spending a lot of time in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back