Archived Trial TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

targetworker13

Hardlines Team Trainer
so over the past 6 months I’ve been training with my TL mentor as well as working with my ETL’s to take on a TL position. There were no spots available in my store for the time being so I just continued to develop as a sales floor team member. I am not technically “on the bench” but all my leaders know I’m capable and very passionate about becoming a leader. I am trained in pretty much every dept except price change and am kind of the “GSA of the sales floor” if such a position were to exist...haha. Recently our Food TL departed with the company. My etl’s are allowing me to step in as kind of a test run to see if I could fill this position. It’s ideally the perfect position for me considering it’s within my store with my leaders and my mentors. Our consumables process seems to be a mess, push always is backed up sometimes pushing from 6 am to closing, there’s no Freshness Friday anymore, no demo events, end caps are ignored, zone is non existent and there’s no structure. Although consider myself a strong team member, end to end is something I’m not entirely familiar with as far as running a team. My etl’s want me to come up with routines and a plan. Any advice on some routines anyone has for their consumables team push/zone wise? Our store is fairly high volume so we have a food service team lead so I’d only oversee P fresh and market. There are multiple strong team members on the market team so I feel with the right routines and structure it Could be a much more efficient E2E team.

Food/Consumables TL is a beast....I can’t say dont go for it, but, be ready to enter the pits of hell *sigh* I wish you luck, patience and stamina, alot of stamina, mental and physical dexterity and just overall sanity.

No joke. We've rotated through like four over the last year. It chews them up and spits them out. The one we have now is holding their own and I have hope.

I also wish you well!!

Good luck. I really wouldn't consider Food TL to be a starter TL position.

As for advice, your TMs have to follow everything the do from the beginning to the end, hence end to end. The same person that pushes the cereal aisle should be zoning and scanning research in that aisle as well. They should also take care of their own backstock.

Since TIME is our biggest enemy in E2E.....

Here's some suggestions for efficiency:

Plan ahead (and you won't have much time for THAT) ! But..... plan your week; and "detail-plan" your days. Have a backup plan for life's little incidentals. If you're "reacting in the moment", you've lost valuable time.
Keep the Team moving at all times. Lots of observations and follow-up. Be very conscientious of your TMs time-management.
Showing is always better than Telling. Work side-by-side until you see the results you're expecting.
Constant communication..... with your Team and your Superiors.
Get down and dirty at the job..... your Team will respect you for it.
Try new thing, different ideas, be open to change. You never know when a good idea will be a time-saver.

Good luck !

Great advice I appreciate it a lot, as far as getting down and dirty with them and working side by side, where do you draw the line as far as being a leader and becoming a glorified team member of that makes sense. Working with your team but not doing their job for them put more simply

Great advice I appreciate it a lot, as far as getting down and dirty with them and working side by side, where do you draw the line as far as being a leader and becoming a glorified team member of that makes sense. Working with your team but not doing their job for them put more simply

Not sure I can give a time-frame..... but maybe up to 20-30 min? As long as you see the results you expect, and you feel you can walk away while the productivity will continue. Sometimes I'll say to the TM, "Hey, Sue.... looks like you have a lot of (_____) I'll help you and push your XYZ, for a bit, while you do LMNOP." You can still observe their performance, including Service. Ask your Team for a quick recap of their day as they are leaving...... don't let them just "clock-out".
Your goal is to develop your Team into a version of YOU. If you were to call-out sick... you know your Team will be perfectly capable of executing their day just as if you were there.

so over the past 6 months I’ve been training with my TL mentor as well as working with my ETL’s to take on a TL position. There were no spots available in my store for the time being so I just continued to develop as a sales floor team member. I am not technically “on the bench” but all my leaders know I’m capable and very passionate about becoming a leader. I am trained in pretty much every dept except price change and am kind of the “GSA of the sales floor” if such a position were to exist...haha. Recently our Food TL departed with the company. My etl’s are allowing me to step in as kind of a test run to see if I could fill this position. It’s ideally the perfect position for me considering it’s within my store with my leaders and my mentors. Our consumables process seems to be a mess, push always is backed up sometimes pushing from 6 am to closing, there’s no Freshness Friday anymore, no demo events, end caps are ignored, zone is non existent and there’s no structure. Although consider myself a strong team member, end to end is something I’m not entirely familiar with as far as running a team. My etl’s want me to come up with routines and a plan. Any advice on some routines anyone has for their consumables team push/zone wise? Our store is fairly high volume so we have a food service team lead so I’d only oversee P fresh and market. There are multiple strong team members on the market team so I feel with the right routines and structure it Could be a much more efficient E2E team.
As for a plan, divide market up amongst those TMs you have and yourself. The fastest cover dairy and frozen. Others cover other valleys. E2E means everything from zone to audit (research) as well as pull. Its not hard if you develop and follow through.

Once you see the results of the valley assignments then you can reestablish freshness friday and the other things.

As for a plan, divide market up amongst those TMs you have and yourself. The fastest cover dairy and frozen. Others cover other valleys. E2E means everything from zone to audit (research) as well as pull. Its not hard if you develop and follow through.

Once you see the results of the valley assignments then you can reestablish freshness friday and the other things.
Is freshness friday still a thing?

Showing is always better than Telling. Work side-by-side until you see the results you're expecting.

I've had many many many many etls above me, a simple tm, who don't even know how to put up backer paper.

One ignorant, puffed up ETL even had the nerve to tell me I didn't set something fast enough. When I sincerely asked what I could have done better, he said, "I don't know."

Great leadership there.

I've had many many many many etls above me, a simple tm, who don't even know how to put up backer paper.

One ignorant, puffed up ETL even had the nerve to tell me I didn't set something fast enough. When I sincerely asked what I could have done better, he said, "I don't know."

Great leadership there.
I have gone to an ETL on her LOD shift with a problem, and she said “well its not my work center so I don’t know”
I lost ALL respect for that ETL, forever.

I am currently a beauty consultant tm wanting to move up, me leader and ETL know this. They were hoping someone would quit and would give me the VMTL role, however the VMTL didn’t end up quitting. Where do I go now ? There’s no management positions at my store it’s all full and I’m sure no one is going to leave anytime soon. Everyone has been there for years! What do I do since i want to move up as a Team Lead and what would I be a TL for considering I’ve only ever worked as a Beauty Team member at target. We have no Beauty TL position at my store.

I am currently a beauty consultant tm wanting to move up, me leader and ETL know this. They were hoping someone would quit and would give me the VMTL role, however the VMTL didn’t end up quitting. Where do I go now ? There’s no management positions at my store it’s all full and I’m sure no one is going to leave anytime soon. Everyone has been there for years! What do I do since i want to move up as a Team Lead and what would I be a TL for considering I’ve only ever worked as a Beauty Team member at target. We have no Beauty TL position at my store.
What leadership positions most interest you?

Well honestly I was hoping to become Style TL just because my team leader is a Style TL & Manages beauty & beauty is kind of what interest me the most and I’ve worked in retail before where I’ve folded and stocked clothes before

If your vm woulld quit that wouldn’t make you a vmtl. Because there is no such position. Vm is not a tl

If your vm woulld quit that wouldn’t make you a vmtl. Because there is no such position. Vm is not a tl
At my store we have two VMTL, my store does have the positions however we don’t actually call them VMTL they are just considered visual merchandisers but they lead the other vms when the leader is not present and have the team lead pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back